Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Being cool to your fans is great and all but I've yet to see how that translates to entertaining videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Probably because it was a joke and he is an Internet funny man who tells jokes, that is his job.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
When you present yourself as a personality on the Internet, fans go past the point of admiration and see you as a part of their lives. They think they have such a good understanding of you that there's an illusion of friendship there. They watch because you seem cool to hang around and would take the opportunity to do so in real life, which is how you end up with stalkers.

At least that's what my neighbor ProtonJon says.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Klaus88 posted:

I like the spoonyones videos and all but his video journals kinda make me think he wouldn't be a fun guy to socialize in person with.

His LPs of SWAT4, Phantasmagoria 2, and Ripper are all pretty good, but he does seem like a dick. He's also completely impossible to listen to when he's just talking without something to comment over, a script, or heavy editing. Jesus Christ the endless, repetitive rambling.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
The only reason I play the new Smash Bros is that it has Escape From The City in it.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I contend that the only part of reddit that's remotely defendable is http://reddit.com/r/CatsStandingUp

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
A reminder that they used to refer to their fans as "cumfaggots".

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

The Evil Thing posted:

Surely the obvious counter-argument is that viewers on low resolutions may not be able to read the text even if they pause the video? I personally find it very annoying if the LPer reads text out loud, but I figure I'd find it more annoying if I couldn't know what was going on because I had lovely internet.

There will always be exceptions, but it's still not a great idea to read every bit of text on screen, especially when it tends to be less about helping viewers and more about showing off their voice acting "talent".

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I dislike the whole "let's shout for no real reason just because we can" gimmick.

Well the target audience likes it, so more power to 'em.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
The reason AO games are rare is because physics retailers don't carry them. Hatred is going to be an enormous success for the developers (less so for humanity as a whole) due to all the free press it's getting. I wouldn't be at all surprised if other edgy devs see dollar signs and we get a wave of AO-level games in the near future. To me, what twitch is doing makes a lot of sense.

Besides, banning Hatred specifically doesn't affect people who already find it disgusting and only makes its fans want it that much more. Banning it is exactly the kind of press the developers want.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I guess the greyscale-with-spot-color look might appeal to some.

Hatred is the Schindler's List of videogames. With Nazis and everything.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I have never played any MGS game other than Ground Zeroes. Are they worth getting the HD collection of on the PS3, or should I hold out hope that some day Konami will stop being Konami and release HD versions of them on the PC that aren't terrible ports?

Since you'd sooner see an MGS3-branded pachinko machine than a proper PC port, my advice would be to play the HD collection. They're great games.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Can't speak firsthand for the Legacy Edition, but I've never heard anything negative about the porting. Since it comes with MGS4 and a download voucher for MGS1, it would be the version I'd recommend.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Look at that hip, modern chat that's sure to make all the kids say "woot!"

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Speaking of Lets Plays Spoony did a pretty good Lets Play of SWAT 4 back when he was still watchable

http://spoonyexperiment.com/lets-play/lets-play-swat-4-mission-1-dungeons-damsels/

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Earnestly posted:

I'd watch that if the premise was "some friends do a co-op LP of swat 4" and not just "some goons." If there's no chemistry, then it might flop.

Might be tricky to find a group of 5 friends who play SWAT 4, but goons with good chemistry would still be awesome. It's definitely one of my favorite games.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
The man sounds like he is on the verge of tears the entire time. I love it.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Haha oh my god you can hear his kids in the same room with him.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Roman Reigns posted:

And wow, hes really bitter about the Patreon money.

I believe you mean paa-treon money.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

GNU Order posted:

Also love that he thinks you can make your game suddenly fun just by fixing all the bugs.

"How come my book report on Moby Dick got an F?"
"Because you just wrote the sentence 'There is a whale in it.' 500 times."
"But I spelled all the words right!"

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

steinrokkan posted:

At this point in time it's quite clear there exists a whole market segment consisting of cheap games made simply to be presented in humorous critique videos, because even if the review recommends not making a purchase, some idiots will buy the product just to verify the review.

YouTube bait. Jumpscare parades, wacky XD random poo poo, and incompetent garbage. The lifeblood of crappy youtubers and crappy developers.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Jamesman posted:

I've been watching some Game Grumps again to do some research, and in one of the videos Danny mentions there is a website dedicated to Ross' wife's feet.

I can't tell if this sort of stuff is just some weird artifact of the Internet fame thing done as a terrible joke or if it's the work of legitimate deranged perverts. Even more depressingly, I can't decide which possibility is worse.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I know there's a website that aggregates movies with full-frontal male nudity and keeps a database on the sizes and shapes of the actors' dicks, but as far as I know there aren't any LP superstars on it.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Genocyber posted:

Tbf Yahtzee doesn't seem to be doing much better than Gabe despite his experience, so I'm not sure that would be necessary.

Pretty much. He talks a big game but demonstrates only a surface understanding of the mechanics and world. Doesn't stop him from talking down to Gabe at every opportunity.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

chitoryu12 posted:

Outside of that quibble he's been a completely normal and nice guy.

Literally the only good thing anyone has to say about markiplier is that he's a nice guy, which on the internet is apparently exceptional.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Leal posted:

:confused:

Theory busted?

I believe the theory is that the flying animals of the Star Fox universe had their legs amputated and replaced with mechanical prosthetics to keep them from passing out from g-forces or some bullshit.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Roman Reigns posted:

To be fair, Arin seems to like the Metal Gear series so he'll probably stick it out.

On the other hand, they didn't even finish the intro in their first video soooooo...

The intro is like 30 min to an hour long, be fair. But MGSV is not a very easy game and while Egoraptor has a history with the series, he is absolutely poo poo at games. My bet is they won't make it past mission 9.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

CJacobs posted:

Please don't talk about that dumb poo poo sane people don't care about in here tia

Talk instead about how it took Arin and Suzy 4 episodes of MGS5 to get through the intro, not because they were taking a long time to get through it, but because Game Grumps episodes are 10-20 minutes long max and the intro of MGS5 is a full hour. I am currently wondering when they're gonna give this playthrough up because if they finish it's gonna go on for like 500+ parts at this rate.

edit: Well, realistically it'd be more like 250-300-ish but still that's like three times as long as their longest series so my point is it's gonna take a long-rear end while.

If they're both fans, they probably enjoy replaying the game together. The ad money on top of that doesn't hurt.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Since Yahtzee and Gabe don't monetize their videos, they've settled on 1-hour chunks weekly, now twice weekly with their Dark Souls 2 LP thing. I generally like their videos but the DS2 series is difficult to watch due to them being massive scrublords. Also a stupid gimmick where they make up a backstory for their character as they go along which always turns into a pissing context of who can wax the most poetically.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

anilEhilated posted:

Really? Because this series is the only non-SA LP thing I can watch. Sure, they bumble around and (although Yahtzee has apparently beaten the game before) seem pretty drat lost, but that's a huge part of that game's charm and they let it emerge organically. The story jamming is obviously not to everyone's tastes but compared to some gimmicks I've seen it's pretty harmless.

Getting lost is one thing, repeatedly walking over a 12,000 soul bloodstain during a boss fight and dying before picking it up is another. Still, this isn't the place to complain about that, and I agree their channel is one of the few I watch on a regular basis. They've got their problems but put out entertaining stuff on a regular basis.

but jesus christ how can yahtzee not know agility determines the number of i-frames in your roll fuuuuuck

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

BlueDude posted:

Sorry to derail from this fascinating talk about Game Grumps, but apparently something really bad happened to Markiplier.

Amazingly, most of the replies are completely and utterly supportive of him. Perhaps the Internet isn't so bad after all.

It turns out one of his friends/co-workers committed suicide.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Jamesman posted:

It's multiple videos, but I think the Knuckles section starts here: https://youtu.be/YMoCLf24lgU?list=PLRQGRBgN_Enq2DpbXjaL89BxSQGwLlr_0

Arin is also surprised and pissed off every time to find out emerald pieces can be hidden inside enemies. Like OK, the first time it happens, it's new and he had no idea (possibly because he didn't use the hint fairy that tells him, but an enemy hovering right around where the radar is going crazy would suggest something). But the next two, three times? It's the exact same reaction like he completely forgets it's happened before and I just don't understand.

If you want to see someone show off their MLG pro strats for a Sonic game, Game Grumps might not be the show for you. Yelling at the game for one's own incompetence, however, is their specialty.

In fairness, the best videos they do are when they completely ignore the game and just have podcast-like banter. Sure, it's not really an LP, but they can be nice to listen to.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

TaurusOxford posted:

So DSP just uploaded what is probably the fastest ragequit he has ever done, with a whopping seven parts of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5, going as far to claim it is the worst game he has ever played.

Judging from what I've seen of the game, huge props to him for making it to seven parts.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

slowbeef posted:

Bad as the game is, I don't get to cut Sonic 06 into 30-second chunks. OR DO I?????

30 second videos with 30 second pre-roll, post-roll and mid-roll ads. Gotta make that green.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Jesus who cares what pewdiepie did this week. Complaining about him here ain't gonna make him go away.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

ReturnOfFable posted:

I don't know, it's another moment where Youtube and Let's Play culture meets mainstream television. I think that's worth discussing.

A discussion is one thing. Complaining about the screaming and rape jokes like a broken record is another.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

HGH posted:

Although I'm seeing some lovely people happy about this and wishing him dead, which is just goddamn awful and petty at this point.

Also people prefacing their condolences with "I think he's a stupid buttface dumbjerk, but..."

Jesus, have a little humanity.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

HGH posted:

I like Kr1tikal's since he was pretty drat merciless about it.

EDIT: Oh wow, Adults React to Pewdiepie already down.

beef said on twitter he made it private as a precaution.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
wait so you're telling me the diaper fur with the paranoid nazi girlfriend is ALSO a pedofile? say it ain't so joe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Junior Jr. posted:

Okay I'll change the subject, so Yahtzee's a bit of a oval office, right?

actually no, he's a total oval office.

the lets plays he did with his friend gabe were pretty entertaining. then he moved to america to join the dumpster fire that is the escapist full time and gabe got roped into doing videos with some other guy who wants to be the game grumps.

• Locked thread