Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

moths posted:

I hope they run into a cult of unfathomably evil motherfuckers who all have compass tattoos.

I had thought there was going to be a tie in with the video game when I first saw them, but then the set up was just so over the top it was clear something was going to happen and they were going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

pentyne posted:

Holding on to Carl as his "kid" is one of the only things Rick has left (besides the baby) and having to acknowledge that Carl is capable of being treated like Glenn in terms of usefulness is something Rick has been desperately trying to stave off.

But the flipside is that is a tension the show has been exploring for a long time now, and has oscillated on how it has tried to resolve it. I just hope that the show can come to a conclusion and let the characters grow in some direction other than a protect-carl story. Both carl trying to fit in with kids after what he's been through (and they haven't) or a father-son post apocalyptic relationship (leave it beaver meets fallout) would both be more entertaining then watching the cycle repeat itself for the umpteenth time.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

404notfound posted:

Petition to make "anime is bad" a TVIV rule

And open the 7th gate of sperglord hell, no thank you.

Something sticking out to me so far is that Daryl and Michonne, in the offseason hunted the Govnr down and couldn't find him, I have a hard time believing the govnr could get that close to the prison without being detected. I don't know if the show resolved the rats issue yet, so maybe the characters don't know the zombies are not just appearing there randomly. It did however, seem odd that it drew attention to the rats and then just left them there without much follow up. You are in the middle of loving nowhere with no real risk of anything sentient coming your way unless you bring them there, so you'd think anything out of the ordinary would be a huge red flag.

Also the defenses for the prison seem retarded at best. They make this elaborate door and spike system to replace the crushed gate but leave the gates untouched. They even set up a wind\noise trap like Woodbury, but leave it next to the gate? Why not hang it in a tree? Why not raid Woodbury for more things to barricade? What happened to the bus and hummer? I can understand the gate almost failing once, but it's been, what, three times with the logs snapping? I just wish the show would actually make survival a priority and stop using it as a plot device.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

ntrepid posted:

Does anyone actually care about the baby?

Behind the scenes shots revealed what really happened to Judith

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Walking Dead game season 2 comes out soon. Is the 400 Days DLC worth picking up or is it solidly meh and not worth my time?

Unlike the main game there isn't a lot of hours of gameplay. You get several shorter stories that give you a nice dose of gameplay and experience into twd universe, but they don't have the overall interaction with some larger storyline, or each other.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

euphronius posted:

I could believe TWD does not make a profit. Half the ads seem to be plugs for AMC shows.

I don't think you understand the business model of tv shows.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Midnight City posted:

I don't see how it's "funny" he'd also want to be compensated for The Talking Dead?! TMZ could be taken so much more seriously if they didn't try to insert random lovely opinions into their stories that make you question everything you just read prior to it.

TMZ has a media room at the Los Angeles Superior Court where all these law suits get filed, and they have people up there reading every single complaint filed in LA. They piece together the story from the allegations made therein, and retool the language to make it seem like they actually interviewed someone for the story. Complaints, in general, are usually very heavy handed and overly broad in their language and relief requested (and rightfully so), so you end up with a very skewed and biased perception of the facts.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
TWD Season Two came out 2 days ago, and is on sale on Steam.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Senor Tron posted:

The worst thing the show did was the bloody CDC elaborating on details of the zombie virus. I just assume it's a concentration thing. Every living person is infected with the virus, but their immune systems are able to mostly fight it off/keep it dormant. When someone dies the virus runs crazy and takes over the body. When a walker bites a victim they get their wound full of a super-concentrated dose of the virus that overwhelms their system. Possibly also something to do with the bite itself, the flesh being damaged/partially dead at the bite point allows the virus to grab a foothold there.

The show has been a little inconsistent with whether the zombie bite is enough to kill, or if it's the subsequent infection, or something else entirely. When it needs someone to die asap, zombies gain super strength and their bites will cleave straight through to the bone and cause death either immediately, or after a sufficiently dramatic interaction with another character has taken place. If they need someone die a little more slowly, then the bite merely grazes the flesh, and the person slowly dies, until a sufficiently dramatic interaction with another character has taken place. I don't think there is any TWD canon on this point, which is why it has taken a backseat to the needs of whatever immediate plot is going on.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

The governors scientist guy seemed to be the only smart one in the series, duct taping his arms and stuff. You would think they would use some sort of padding or layers and not walk around in short sleeves.

Are we forgetting the zombie camo that rick and crew discovered by covering themselves in zombie guts? Or Michonne's camo consisting of armless\jawless zombie pets? Why everyone doesn't have an armless\jawless zombie on a leash everywhere they go is beyond me at this point.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Evernoob posted:

Really? Was that the suspected cause from Night of the Living Dead? Or an even earlier film/novel?

Anyway "explaining" zombies is impossible anyway. Rage Virus sounds much more plausible to me, with the exception of the insanely quick infection/turning speed. The only problem with them is you cannot make a multi-year long series around them as those infected tend to die from starvation/exhaustion after about a month.

Now that I think of it, have Body Snatchers been mentioned anywhere in this thread yet? Those are cool and perfectly plausible: There is some real parasite that can "zombify" ants to make them suicide by climbing to the top of leaves, and lock their jaws in the leaves so some birds can eat them.

This is why the CDC arc was so stupid, the whole zombie thing either needs to introduce some sort of physics defying magic, or leave it unsaid. In twd we got just enough to allow us to question how stupid it is, and not enough to allow us to suspend belief so that we could believe it actually could happen.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Midnight City posted:

Hershel says he hasn't had to kill a walker in the episode before he dies, but in the first episode of season 3 he kills a walker against the fence while they're first taking the prison.

Immersion destroyed.

What about his magical shotgun? Are you telling me he was the only one at the farm not headshotting zombies from 80 yards away? :colbert:

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Mice Everywhere posted:

Glenn was cool when he was a dorky but surprisingly competent guy who was a bit of a smartass, but now his character revolves entirely around being Maggie's boyfriend and it's boring.

I am a firm believer that a the beginning of any show's descent into stupidity is when the cast starts dating each other. I hope they limit that with Glen\Maggie...

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Tin Miss posted:

People are probably a bit twitchy because we constantly get things like:

"Why was Lori a (shirtless short-haired male) zombie? I thought Carl shot her!"
"Wait, was that Andrea who drove the truck full of zombies into the prison?"
"I bet it's the Governor sneaking in through the fence of the prison to feed rats to zombies and then sneaking back out again!"

I feel like the scars could be a legitimate point of confusion since it's a fairly quick shot and the tattoos are distracting, but by now the thread's tolerance is pretty low.

There are a lot of legitimate points of confusion for those people who demand consistency, the existence of cannon, and strict adherence to it.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

messagemode1 posted:

What I really want to know is who pulled the fire alarm in the prison and who was watching them from the outside.

It was that other prisoner that T-bone v2.0 shot right?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Mu Zeta posted:

What about how that one kid got his leg impaled and apparently can walk around a couple days later.

The show fessed up to that. There was some hiccup between special effects and the writers, it wasn't supposed to be that bad of an injury.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

computer parts posted:

Was he ever shot in the head, or just stabbed? He could just be a walker.

Spoiler tags for things that happened last half season? Stay classy TV IV.

They left it ambiguous I believe, he was stabbed by Michonne, and I think she left him there to suffer and turn, but then the girl whose daughter got eaten ran up on him with gun drawn and pointed at him. I dont think they showed his head bursting like they do with the zombies or anything. I could be misremembering, I had presumed it to be a pretty obvious way for the show to close out the governor arc so i wasn't paying that close of attention. But it appears my presumptions were mistaken.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Dead Snoopy posted:

I thought it was Lori coming out into the field to put the killshot into his dome.

First she erupted from a nearby zombies belly like a baby xenomorph.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Grin and Tonic posted:

so we still don't know who was feeding rats to the zombies right

A theory is it was the kids because they had they had thought them like pets.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Grin and Tonic posted:

What's in the box, Bob, what's in the box

I think there was a shot of someone messing with the rats and it was a white hand?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Michonne makes up for getting no lines on the show by speaking 300 words a minute on the Talking Dead.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

BreakAtmo posted:

It's supposed to take place in a sort of alternate version of reality where zombies never became one of the big movie monsters and most people have never heard of them.

Which made me wonder if there were any easter eggs in the video games Carl found. I didn't look close enough to see if the game he picked up was one of the many other zombie games out in recent years.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
People waste no time at all...

http://www.amazon.com/Bakers-Chefs-Chocolate-Pudding-112/dp/B00448333A

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Bigass Moth posted:

I think it's pretty funny that Michone's zombie on a leash thing has been proven to work perfectly twice but nobody else has tried it and they didn't string up a bunch of jawless zombies at the perimeter of the prison even though their smell clearly covers human scent.

What about dousing youself in zombie guts? Yea it's gross, but I mean, if you're cornered or you need to move through a herd...

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

NESguerilla posted:

The whole thing is just bad logic. Why do they become docile things that you can walk around like a dog if you cop off their jaws and arms in the first place?

Shouldn't they still be trying to eat her even if they can't?

Let's not start applying rigorous logic and scientific methodology to the behavior of zombies.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Surlaw posted:

I love this post.

I love the two follow up posts presuming a literal interpretation of the post you love.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Mexcillent posted:

The only downside of Michonne killing her walker camouflage is the sheer horror potential of the herd getting bigger and bigger and then all of a sudden one or two walkers realizing she's alive. I kept waiting for that to happen and it didn't.

I got the distinct feeling she knew exactly what she was doing and it wasnt an accident or circumstance that she was surrounded.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

You know, I've known people who've been through major wars and disasters and stuff when they were adolescents and they did not treat their parents like that whatsoever. He's being a brat. The kid is 13. If he was like sixteen seventeen I could see him challenging rick but he's like still real tiny.

He's been messed up by Shane. I don't think it's a given that a teenager would be that cruel to his father as he dies

9\10 kids from Sierra Leone agree that Carl's body size does not let him accurately depict adolescent ptsd.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Stairs posted:

Emily Kinney, who plays Beth, is actually 28, they've never said how old Daryl is and Norman can pass for much younger. It isn't something I want but it's also not out of the realm of possibility.

Which is interesting because I think a Daryl\Carol thing shouldn't happen because she is so much older. She comes across more as a mother figure for him, not really a love interest.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Crankit posted:

In the talking dead interview didn't she say they both were?

Yes.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Buddington posted:

I don't know if it's just in this thread or if it's everywhere, but the thing where people think Bob might be a serial killer is really loving weird. There's been literally nothing to indicate he's anything more than an alcoholic and it's surprising to me how often people post speculation about how he's going to secretly just up and kill some people.

Well the show does have a history of not really keeping two black male characters around for very long...

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Grin and Tonic posted:

Milton's studying of whether zombies retain any memory was really interesting and could have been cool but TWD did gently caress all with it (and hasn't there been instances of zombies sort of returning to places they frequented alive, like Morgan's wife?), but it's a slippery slope. Handled well there could be a lot of possibilities with that, but I could understand the writers not wanting to open up that loving pandora's box and having people question fictional monsters motives and all that even more than they do now, so gently caress it let's kill some zombies.

The problem is that I do not believe TWD had a written or unwritten cannon of what zombies were in the TWD universe when the show started. Instead zombies and the characters had been defined by the shows themselves, which has created all sorts of internal contradictions. When these contradictions are brought to light it destroys the very premise of TWD universe - that it is it's own universe with it's own set of rules; even if the rules are fantasy, they should, at the very least be consistent.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

precision posted:

Every time Kirkman says "Stop liking Daryl or I'll kill him off!" I want to slap him because I know he's not kidding. Get him away from the show.

quote:

"I get a lot of hate mail every time I kill any character in the comic, which always aggravates me," said Kirkman when asked whether any "Dead" characters should be untouchable. "Specifically about the Daryl thing — that fan reaction's going to get him killed, because I feel like it's a dare. I'm like, 'Oh really, really? You're going to riot? All right, we'll see.' No one is safe."

This is the guy leading the shows charge. Someone who would kill a character just so he can say neener-neener-neener to the fans.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Kibayasu posted:

I like Deryl as much as anybody but if you're thinking like this you've already lost.

I wonder if its the fact that the fan favorite is a character not from his book.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Andrew Verse posted:

Good thing they didn't do something stupid, like shoot it and air it.

Well they couldn't because a rotting ball of fat flesh zombie isn't a hazard to the water supply until you kill it again.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

precision posted:

I mean did the guy in season 1 definitively say that this was going on everywhere, wasn't it just something like "Paris went dark"? It'd be kind of hilarious if it was just happening in America and the rest of the world was leaving it the gently caress alone. Though I guess that's basically the ending to 28 Days Later.

It was the CDC guy. The ending will be like the Postman, where like 20 years in the future everything will be back to normal and as a statue of Rick and Cooorlll is being erected in Rick's honor, a grown up Cooorlll will say "that kid is me." Fade to black.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

ravenkult posted:

Seriously, Darryl is ~*cool~* and everything and that one episode where he got lost in the woods was cool, but ever since then all we get is Darryl being a superhero with his loving crossbow and motorcycle. It's just bad.

That has to be balanced against the fact he is the only one in the show isn't an emotional eggshell ready and willing to break down into a giant sack of tears the second anything goes wrong during a zombie apocalypse.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Jamesman posted:

It's not me that's saying it. Right there in the rules thread;

Don't overlook the common sense aspect. We aren't talking a preview you saw at an advance sneak peak of superman vs batman at your regional movie theatre, we're talking about a preview that aired literally seconds after the show ended, was there a commercial break? Instead of getting into a pissing contest, why don't we just move on and focus on that beautiful handlebar moustache.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Andrew_1985 posted:

The Girls+Tyreese section were fantastic to watch. Between little crazy girl, scared girl and screaming baby, they were a disaster waiting to happen. Glad to see Carol back too

So is the consensus now that the sister was one who burned the bodies? I don't think it's an accident Carol ended up re-uniting with that group. The Carol\Tyrese showdown is now looming, when Carol fess up to falsely accepting blame to protect the girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Svanja posted:

:argh:YOU TAKE THAT BACK!:argh:

Carol's return was a bit of a letdown....maybe she learned teleporting!

No reason that power should be limited to the zombies.

• Locked thread