Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

LadyPictureShow posted:

I sat through the re-show of the episode, and gray-sweatshirt dude is driving me nuts. Did he ever show up in any of the other episodes? Only guy from the prison side to get popped on-screen, and any time I saw him, it was just 'who the Hell is this rando?'

If you're talking about the guy I'm thinking of, who got popped right as Maggie was getting Glenn to the bus, the Talking Dead show stupidly listed him as part of the Governor's group in the recap of who died in the episode.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think if I was writing that scene, I'd killed Michonne. Why? Because nobody would have loving expected it. The "I'm gonna kill you!" thing paying off action movie style was far more cliche than if he flat out executed her instead. Also, we already have a several badass fighter types in the show. We could have done with one less.

I think killing Hershel was the tactical choice as far as eliciting a response from the prison, since he knew Hershel had family there and had a longer history with Rick and the rest. Also Hershel's death was relatively quick, I don't think he was ever going to let Michonne off easy, at least not after his switch flipped for good at the prison, and would have wanted to take his time with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I thought the idea was that was the riverside was where they parked the children and infirm, but where was everyone else when Meagan got chomped by the biter in the river bank? And if the other children were there, that makes her character even shittier for just leaving them to bring her dead child to the prison fight.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Tin Miss posted:

I'm going to predict that Tara took her when she wandered off. She'll meet-up with Lilly again, who in her grief will see Judith as a replacement daughter. Then when Rick discovers his baby is still alive there'll be a tense stand-off when Lilly isn't willing to give her back.

Neither of them really got into the prison before Rick and Carl found the empty car seat. Tara specifically walked away from the prison after the first grenade.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Surlaw posted:

Also the baby death in Battlestar was done dumb as hell and one of several bad attempts to be edgy in a show I otherwise loved.

Goddammit for the life of me I can't remember when a baby died in battlestar, and I just watched that series a few months ago.

To add some walking dead content, I don't agree that Shane was right about Randall, I think the only reason he expressed any interest in going back to the rape gang was because regardless of how lovely they were, they didn't waffle back and forth about executing him. It's been a while since I watched that episode so maybe I missed something in his dialogue, but I don't remember him being happy to go back to them because he enjoyed raping and pillaging, just that he enjoyed being put on his knees and a gun to his head even less. Rick's group went through the motions of killing him twice- by execution with a gun in the barn, and by leaving him on his own out in the zombie wasteland, which could be considered tantamount to execution depending on one's individual emotional strength.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 7, 2013

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Interesting story.

That link currently goes to a Justin Bieber story on TMZ.

edit- that link is to the feed on TMZ, here's the link to the article on TMZ.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 18, 2013

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Evernoob posted:

But if I recall correctly Dale died to a zombie anyway, so they knew he would turn.
More interesting would have been if someone had died to "natural" causes, and they would get buried before turning. This before Rick revealed "we're all infected".

Lost did this with an episode, where a couple of the castaways were poisoned with something that slowed their vital functions down (tetrodotoxin or something) and the rest of the survivors thought that they had died, so they buried them alive and held a funeral.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Lycus posted:

"They're gonna feel pretty stupid when they find out"

Oh poo poo, did Rick set up some sort of genius Plan B off-screen?

I thought that's where they were going with it, like one of them smuggled something in.

Not entirely sure why they're starving the prisoners in the freight car though- Maggie and others looked emaciated, like they'd been without food for days. The powdered milk does keep them alive, but I'd think they'd want to fatten them; unless the plan is to weaken them first, then divide them when they're easier to control, and then do whatever to make them delicious.

I was hoping they wouldn't go with cannibalism though, I love horror movies like no tomorrow but cannibalism for some reason really gets to me. Also, it's hard for me to believe that so many people that were okay with cannibalism would come together as an organized group.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

boom boom boom posted:

It's pretty clear something super loving horrible happened to them in the past and they've gone full out "gently caress everyone"

I can see a group of people that had it bad just deciding to up and kill other people and take their poo poo, but adding in cannibalism seems a jump to me.

No More Heroes posted:

I was expecting some mindblowing masterstroke like the "we're all infected" from S1 and the CDC but instead all we got was that corny bullshit line

I just walked it a second time and I think they did a good job with it. The music did a lot to set the mood for me, and in between Rick's comments when they flash to the faces of the group members, everyone that was in the car before (Glenn and Co.) look confused or don't understand what Rick means, but Michonne, Darryl, and Carl look resolute or angry, not surprised at all. I thought it was pretty well done. Even though yeah, realistically, they're unarmed and trapped in a freight car, but I don't think too much in relation to this show.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 31, 2014

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Lycus posted:

They looked normal to me, as well I could see them in the dark. I'm not assuming that there was a significant amount of time between the episodes, anyway.

Maggie and Tara looked like they had sunken eyes, and Glenn's face looked drawn, but he did just come off a sickness and after seeing it again it could have just been the lighting.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

euphronius posted:

It's like half a days drive.

With functioning infrastructure and clear roads, and not having to worry about dangerous survivors looking to ambush you, or giant hordes of walkers. It's a longer way to go when you have to deal with those things and backtrack when the route you're on turns out to be hosed in some way.

Milovan Drecun posted:

But giving more on screen reference to it would make the impact stronger. As it is, she seems to not care at all, which doesn't mesh with the character, even if she is a battle hardened survivor. I like that the prospect of finding a car in the setting would be overwhelming to the point of giving up, but show that dejection! Have her fight Glenn a little before she says 'Ok, we made a promise to them and each other, I guess Beth is just dead in my mind.'

Yeah, there should have been some conversation after reuniting with Daryl. From what we've seen there doesn't seem to be any indication that she understands Beth is still alive, and if she did know, she wouldn't be so quick to head to DC.

Also, I usually don't bother with the catch-ups before new seasons- when AMC binges the entire series for the week or so before the new one premieres. But this time around I happened to catch the first and second nights, so I re-watched all of season 1 and the first part of season 2. It was really interesting to see how much the characters have evolved; comparing Carol from the first season to now is like night and day. And they've done a really good job of aging the characters' look- like how clean Rick and even Daryl were in their first on screen moments to the greasiness of the current season.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 28, 2014

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Lycus posted:

I think he meant they'll talk to Rick and them about going with them to DC later, after they're done with their reunions and celebrations, which happened in the next episode.

That was my impression too.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Antifreeze Head posted:

I don't keep up with this thread (or the old one) all that much, but it seems a lot of people are taking Eugene at face value and buying whatever he's selling. Has it been discussed and discounted that Eugene might just be talking out his rear end with that crap about saving humanity so he can have some people protect him?

He reminds me of the kind of person that has expertise to a limited extent; so someone that knows something about biology, and just "figures" on how to fix the problem, but lacking any actual real life experience in the practice of science he underestimates exactly how much work it would be to follow the idea to fruition and develop a cure.

Pharmaskittle posted:

re: glasses, it's not like having glasses is that much of a hindrance and even if you lost yours, you wouldn't be like that Twilight Zone character. It'd be easy to find a pair with a prescription that's "close enough." I might be underestimating though, since my eyes are really only barely bad enough to make me uncomfortable driving without lenses.

The moment my glasses were broken, I would be in deadly danger. I'm quite near sighted. Unless I knew the way to a place that specifically stocked filled prescriptions, and it wasn't far, I would straight up be hosed- something would get me, zombie, other murderous human, or simply stumbling on something.

Regarding the Bible quotes in the church, on the aftershow they explained that they all had to do with the quote painted near the church ceiling (which I now can't remember) but anyone else that's late to the game on the quotes can go back and check it out if interested.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

TOOT BOOT posted:

One thing I thought was weird about the previews is that beth's wrists are bandaged, they don't insert IVs in your wrists, do they?

No, the veins are larger and more accessible at the inside of your elbow. I noticed the bandages too and wondered wtf was up with them.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah you get blood taken from your arm since it's a big pipe, so that's probably what people are thinking of. I've usually gotten regular IVs in my hand.

Haha yeah I was super exhausted and didn't read the question right, I wasn't thinking of IVs at all but blood draws.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

iostream.h posted:

For all the 'gently caress Atlanta' talk, do remember that those of us in Birmingham head over to Atlanta as often as possible because to us it's an amazing thing of beauty and mystery.

I spent a couple days in Birmingham, I can see why you try to get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

speshl guy posted:

This probably seems like a minor nitpick but skulls seem too easy to stab through in this show. I'm sure stabbing a year-old rotting zombie corpse through the skull is pretty easy, but when you've got a fresh corpse it shouldn't be that easy to stab through the side of a quarter inch of one of the hardest bones in your body. Rick's group and rape cop group both do it.

It is not as easy as this show portrays, but a lot of the guts stuff isn't usually accurate in any show. It would slow storytelling down too much to have every zombie stab be shown realistically, just think of it as a visual fill in for what really happens, a shorthand to let you know they killed a zombie and stop worrying about it. It's like any show where a person's abdomen is cut open; the anatomy is rarely accurate, but it tells the viewer that dude just got really cut up.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've been rewatching from the top as background noise while working and I've been surprised at how many details I missed the first time around, and I'm not even really paying attention this time around.

I do this every week, for a number of shows; I do a bunch of work at night, and just have the shows on behind me to have some noise. You can pick up lots of stuff that you miss on the first active watch through.

I'm just catching up on the past couple days of the thread, but this:

Myron posted:

Goddamn the characters in this show are dumb. They give up a safe environment, only because they can't deal with the occasional rape.

I don't know if this was a joke, but living in conditions where you are occasionally raped is so absolutely not a safe environment. It's a nightmare. Choosing between living as a rape slave vs fending for yourself against zombies, where you can take an actual role in your self defense, it's perfectly logical to want to escape.

My biggest issue with this latest episode was with the dialogue. I don't mind slow pacing, but the dialogue has to be there, and most of the time I found myself either irritated that the cop kept repeating her rationale for the society, or wondering why Beth didn't ask an obvious question, or why someone wouldn't talk plainly. It didn't improve for me on further listening but I didn't have an issue with the story. Also, while it's painfully obvious that some or all of the cops are clearly harvesting women in their runs out of the hospital, I never thought to connect that with the supplies in the house where Beth got taken. I just thought it was someone's stash, and she happened to get snatched near it, but bait house makes great sense.

• Locked thread