Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I really hope the crew doesn't stay at the prison all season and that they branch out and have to fight more zombies instead of the show continuing to be an exclusively dumb interpersonal drama, but then on the other hand, I think about it a little and it seems dumb to even hope for that anymore having seen the last couple seasons :smithicide:

I just wish their writers could write GOOD interpersonal drama. They have moments where they get on the ball with it, but it's so far and few between most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Was that the one where Morgan from the Pilot came back but was broken beyond repair? God, that was a great episode. The best of season 3, by far. And better than all of Season 2, too. I wish we'd see more episodes as great as that :smith:

And then the next episode after it pretty much acts like none of it happened. I wish the writers didn't suck rear end so much and actually sat around like the breaking bad writers do and figure out every possible permutation of what could happen next and try to write things that feel organic instead of "well wut should we do this week guies?" - "I know we shud have Daryl hunt for the Sophia and run into his brother in a dream because omg wouldn't that be cool, and he can wear ears like a necklace(so hardcore!) and then Andrea will almost shoot him at the end awesum right?"

EDIT: And no before someone comes to white knight it, I don't think Walking Dead HAS to be written just as good as Breaking Bad. I think that is frankly a tall impossible order, but at the same time there really is no excuse for just how bad it is. It could easily be so much better if they would just get away from this network tv style of writing.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 11, 2013

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Actually thought that wasn't a bad episode at all. There were a few moments that made me wince but overall I thought it was a solid episode. The plot with Rick and the woman could have easily been incoherent and stupid but they found the right way to execute it. I'm interested at where things are going which is an absolute plus considering most of the time when I get to the end of an episode I feel pretty "meh". You've done alright Walking Dead now please hold this quality level or increase it and maybe one day we can forgive and forget about the bad times.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The only thing to annoy me so far is that the don't have constant 24/7 multiple shift crews tending to the walkers around the fence.

Yeah this is about the only head shaking thing so far. Feels like they should have shifts rotating and clearing out the fence walkers at least once a day if not twice. I'll forgive it because everything else has been so much improved, but cmon meow.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Are we allowed to talk dirt on the show again now that aatrek is gone?

It was never "you can't say anything negative". It was "don't come in here if you hate everything and just want to bitch/troll".

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I think the "walkers bringing down the fence" thing would be more palatable if the majority of the walker mass was attracted by the gun shots inside the prison instead of the show letting us see several shots of the big mass of walkers at the fence the entire episode and all the survivors pretty much being like "meh". It just kind of takes some of the tension out when you are wondering why they aren't on top of that poo poo.

But otherwise a good episode. I'm actually interested in the mystery/whodunit stuff this season. The killing of the pigs hit me right in the gut.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I mean I know they didn't explain exactly why Michonne was crying in this episode, but isn't it obvious to anyone who has watched a show or a film that it's hinting at her possible backstory that is to be revealed?

I'm kind of hoping they employ the use of a flashback. They should do more of them anyways because flashback storytelling is awesome:colbert:

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

13stitches posted:

Well, maybe with Aatrek now being permabanned we can loosen up this regulation a bit, who knows?

So what the hell happened with Aatrek?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

What is your point? Are you saying there is a legitimate purpose to showing sneak peaks of the show you are about to watch mere seconds later?

You need to understand that AMC is just putting on the same run as last week. A computer wherever they broadcast from or whatever is basically just queuing up the episode from the system and all the "previously on" and "next on" stuff is just simply part of that file. You're thinking too hard about this.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Explain. I'm stuck at work.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

MOTHERFUCKING GOV.

Yes I am at work but there is a tv on nearby and I saw that one eyed gently caress. SHITTTTTT!

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Can any of you explain why you hate the Gov reveal beyond vague "it was corny" bullshit explanations? Sounding like a bun of fun haters.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Put Hitler in walking dead poster make it look like nazi death camp image. Height of wit.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Calico Noose posted:

It's months old in a thread for a completely different TV show poo poo for brains, if this was an Attack on Titan thread you might have a point, but it's not reasonable to assume that everybody has watched every single piece of media concurrently with you. So shut the gently caress up about it instead of just randomly decided to spoil something with a pointlessly off topic analogy.

Chill. Out.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

That windows 8 proposal commercial was loving terrible.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So if everyone is infected and they turn no matter how they die, does that mean Dale is just chilling in 6 foot grave in full on zombie mode for all eternity or until he climbs out?

What's this now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QldA-fckkok&t=34s

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I haven't checked into the thread since before the mid season finale. I really really liked the first 8 this season.

That being said......what the gently caress happened? It's loving terrible again. Every single episode since they have come back has been way more bad than good. The writing is terrible and the direction isn't much better. I can't tell if the actress who plays Beth is just terrible, or if she is just doing what she can with what they give her, and shes being poorly directed on top of it. Daryl's drunk meltdown where he started pissing on the floor was SO BAD. I could go on and on but it just sucks seeing it fall back to all the old problems again after seeming to get their poo poo together on these first 8 episodes.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Jut posted:

This half of the season has had 3 boring episodes with not much happening and one average one. They really did pull the season 2 writers out of the closet didn't they?

Last nights episode is down as one of the most boring episodes I've seen.

It was boring, and also unintentionally hilarious but not in a endearing way that I can laugh at and still love the show. More like I kept facepalming at the loving dumb lines and the terrible delivery of those lines in a "oh man this is so loving stupid and terrible what is happening???" way.

Which one was the average one? Ha ha god this is just such a bummer after feeling like they had finally figured out how to make the show really good.

STAC Goat posted:

I dug the episode. They're using these episodes for character development with little plot and that's fine with me because this has never been a plot driven show. It's always been a slow burn character show and four seasons in some people still seem to be waiting for some meta plot to begin.

The problem is the character development is terribly written at least in these second half episodes. I prefer a more character intense story anyways, but what this show is doing is garbage. It's just so cringe inducing. As I watch the episode I can SEE what the writer/director was going for, but it's just so poorly executed. I don't give a drat what the show wants to be but can they please just make a decision one way or the other and make it not lovely?

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 3, 2014

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

That sixteen year old girl is really good at chugging moonshine and holding her liquor. She should give Daryl lessons.

I usually try not to nitpick stuff like this but yeah this was just dumb. It's loving moonshine and shes never drank before. It's actually weirder that she doesn't have a "BLECH!" reaction on the first drink not only because that would be more realistic, but also you would think her reacting hard to the first drink would be something that would play with general audiences for a cheap laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Maybe a plot driven Walking Dead would be a better show. I have no idea. But it's never been that and I see no reason to think it would become that so I don't get why anyone would waste any time or energy on thinking that way. So if that's what some viewers are waiting for I just kind of want to help and convince them they're wasting their time.

I prefer a character study any day, but this show isn't good enough to execute on that sadly. There's really no reason for it either as the actors seem competent enough, but if the writing and the solid directing just isn't there there then what can you do?

There is really no reason why this couldn't contain character drama on the level of more prestigious shows. They simply are lacking the talent needed to execute like that all the time. I thought first half of this season was great, but it seems like ever since coming back from the break they have let the B team do all the work or something.

• Locked thread