Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Arrow is so TV-tooled and still manages to be faithful to the source material and of decent quality in spite of itself. It's honestly impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Aqua-man I don't know, it was just as 'good' as Smallville and that's clearly what they were going for. They even had in a built in excuse to have the lead wet and shirtless as much as possible. Maybe Aqua-man is still just too goofy to most audiences.

As someone who likes Aquaman I can assure you--no one outside of comic fandom knows anything about Aquaman beyond Superfriends and Entourage jokes. Meanwhile everyone at least knows Superman is "important" as a superhero, even if they had gently caress all idea he was raised in Central Kansas. A solo Aquaman project is just never going to gain any traction, and not for a lack of trying over the years.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He's got a good chin for it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As someone who kinda digs this show that's a very accurate assessment.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Billy Idle posted:

S.H.I.E.L.D.'s never been one for subtlety.

Yeah I mean just look at the logo on that bike. They clearly aren't hiding who fury is working for.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Constantine pilot was ok, bordering on pretty good. There's a really stupid Dr. Fate shout-out that feels totally out of place. There's way too heavy a reliance on "whoa magic is happening!" rather than the intrinsic anti-hero appeal of Constantine a'la House. The companion character is so stock it's almost insulting. It also takes a major piece of Constantine lore and totally blows its load like fifteen minutes into the pilot when it could have been spaced out over a season. Oh, and the whole "we can't show him smoking so we'll show him right as he's putting the cigarette out" schtick is stupid-- they're better off just not showing that at all.

Still, the lead is good enough. The special effects look good. Constantine is way too nice but is still shown to be a world class rear end in a top hat in service of his own goals which is appropriate.

If it weren't on the Friday Night Death Slot I'd say this show could have a chance. As it stands I expect it to only last a season. It just doesn't have anything magnetic enough to draw the crowds necessary to make NBC give a poo poo, even though it's far better already than Smallville ever was.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I hope you're right, but I'll believe it when there's a second season order. And I hope there is. Despite many many quibbles I found myself genuinely enjoying a lot of the pilot and thought there was enough potential for a really good show to come out of it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Opopanax posted:

In the age of DVRs and OnDemand is there even a death slot anymore?

There kind-of is, I think. I'm pretty sure most networks are still a fair step behind in calculating actual total viewership based on things like DVR and Hulu, so while they take those into account a lot more now they still look to the old-fashioned ratings system as the main guide for keeping a show on the air or not, unless there's exceptional evidence of ratings off-air.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Honestly the Constantine movie was way more accurate to the look and feel of Hellblazer comics than many fans will admit. Even Keanu, despite being totally miscast, is clearly putting in a lot of effort to be John Constantine and totally nails the "unrepentant rear end in a top hat" side of the character even if he's incapable of the British charm. Sure there's some stuff like Shia LeBeouf needing to removed from the movie, but overall it's a much fairer treatment of the character and his world than the reputation would suggest. Plus it has Papa loving Midnite.

The Constantine Pilot by contrast has a lot to work on. It's not a trainwreck, but everything from the lead to the look to the apparent grand plans all need some heavy elbow grease.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

The thing that the Constantine film got most wrong for me was that at no point did I really believe that Keanu Constantine was an rear end in a top hat which I'd argue is far more important to the character than smoking. The TV show seems to walking a fine line but I think it's at least started to put out that he's a selfish prick.

I hate to say it but I actually believe the opposite. I totally bought that Keanu's Constantine was a jaded and selfish prick, but in the show I thought Constantine was close to giving Companion whatsherface a glass of warm milk and a hug. Then again it might have just been a pacing issue, which the Pilot had a lot of, but it didn't really sink in that he was just manipulating her into being his demon-finding lackey the entire time. Still, the pilot did have Constantine blackmailing a traumatized friend. Not with great blackmail, mind you, but it's a classic Constantine trope and Constantine willing to let innocents die to serve his bigger aims.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 2, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

Does anyone actually like this character?
Honest question, I have no drat idea why DC decides to trot them out once a decade or so.

She's one of the original Outsiders from the late 70s/early 80s right? That probably makes her one of the rare minority superheroes at DC whose rights are probably owned lock, stock, and barrel by DC. That probably has a lot to do with it. Plus she's super straight-forward as a racial cliche and her powers are super cheap to portray.

Still, she is one of those characters that has just never connected over the years--even with the hardcore comic audience.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

It's the clean-shaven-ness and the mostly immaculate suit. Keanu had a face like a knife back then as well. He just looks really young and spotless. Aside from that, it's a really, really good film, though.

Look at the goddamn Constantine pilot and you can say the exact same thing. Plus you forget that when Constantine initially showed up in Swamp Thing he was clean-shaven and wearing immaculate suits. It wasn't until Hellblazer was well underway that the whole "gutterpunk" look for Constantine became the norm.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Guess which comic incarnation of the character is considered the most popular, most consistent and well known, friend. Hence why Waterhaul would feel that the movie's presentation of Constantine would feel at odds with the character, buddy!

Don't patronize me here, especially because again you can point the whole "HE LOOKS TOO CLEAN :goonsay:" argument right back at the pilot that just leaked.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

What are you talking about, bro? I haven't even seen the pilot, chum. I was only responding to Waterhaul's one, very specific comment about Keanu Reeves' portrayal, mate.

And I'm saying that the whole "Constantine needs to be dirty" argument is a stupid one based more in fan arcana about what is most iconic rather than what's most integral to the character based on the fact that we have a much more book-accurate Constantine in the pilot with clean suits and many of his most classic stories feature him in clean suits.

Keanu didn't fit Constantine's character at all, but that's more because Keanu can't pull off the lazy British charm Constantine is so well-known for, not because he didn't have enough alley grease smeared on his shirt.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You're very welcome sport.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I guess they got a lot of negative reaction to the leaked pilot, which is a good thing. The Liv character was terribly generic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

Building Liv up as a major character in the pilot and then randomly killing her off in episode two would be the most Hellblazer thing ever.

I really hope they do this even though I'm almost certain they won't (because it'd be genuinely cool).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Also Buffy originally had an entire pilot shot with a different more "frumpy" woman as Willow before being reshot with the Alyson Hannigan we know and love.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ah, yeah you're right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unaired_Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer_pilot

Stephen Tobolowsky of all people was the original principal. I really like that, even if it would have sucked to see him get eaten by hyena people.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I was always told that Whedon & Co. used the original screenplay Whedon wrote as the backstory for Season One of Buffy and the movie was just some weird warped alternate reality version that doesn't count.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Eh I'm not one who's all "WHEDON'S VISION THE BEST THE BEST" but I do think the movie pales in comparison to what the show was even on a bad day.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The show got pretty loving bad in the end.

It had its problems. Season 6 is a dour slog of a deconstruction of everything that made the prior seasons fun, and Season 7 is a pit of misused potential (no pun intended), but I enjoyed both a hell of a lot more than most shows I've watched in my life.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

May I ask why when it comes to Season 7 of Buffy?

I definitely get that it's one of the weaker seasons of the show but there's still a lot I liked. The First was a very cost-effective villain that was still somehow threatening, unlike Glory who bored me, and while they were on the whole badly used I did like the idea of the potentials. I really liked how Sunnydale became more and more apocalyptic as the season went on until the heroes were basically the only people left in town. I really liked Principal Wood and the new Sunnydale High, especially when he traps Spike in a cage filled with crosses. I even liked Caleb a lot as an enforcer. I even liked Willow getting over Tara with an aggressive girl who was nothing like Tara. The only things I really couldn't stand were Faith (never liked her) and Andrew (annoying Whedon traits to the max!).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I can see where you're coming from. I really can.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Maybe it's just because I watched the series for the first time very recently but I think you guys are being unfair to the later seasons. There are plenty of good episodes and good moments throughout both, even if neither is as fun to watch as the earlier stuff.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I just feel like the end of S5 is a great place to end the show. Buffy saves the world but dies doing it - and finally gets a release from having to be the Slayer.

I'll actually go and be contrary here not because I think you're wrong but because this is a good place to air out the grievances I have with S5. I love the concept of S5's Big Bad, but in actuality Glory comes across as little more a Super-Slayer with mind-scramble powers due to budget (I know she's a god in a human body and can't access her powers, it's still a cop-out). The whole minions and "Knights of Order" or whatever threads feel like they're from an entirely different show and really don't gel with the Scooby gang at all. I like the idea that Buffy saves the world and sacrifices herself and it's all very wonderfully Christ-like and all that, but I really didn't dig the execution. That's not to say I think S5 is bad, I just think it's a lot more muddy than its reputation suggests.

Meanwhile S7, for all its flaws, actually sees Buffy get the happiest ending possible for her. After S3 one of the big question for Buffy became "what the hell does a Slayer who isn't academic actually do to make ends meet in a capitalist society?", and after S5 the answer was a resounding and deeply depressing "she works her loving rear end off and barely gets by." S7 saw her finally start to see dividends pay for her efforts with her whole counselling gig at Sunnydale High, and by season's end saw her finally rewarded by truly becoming the Slayer of all Slayers. But instead of just sacrificing her life to be free she earns her reward by beating a primordial evil, proving herself a true Leader of armies, and shutting down the Hellmouth over Sunnydale once and for all. The last lines and shots of the show drive home that, while she may still be stuck with her responsibilities, she's transcended their barriers in every way possible and in doing so earned the right to travel wherever she wants and share her responsibility with every potential Slayer under the sun. It might not be as classic an ending, and has its faults, but it's definitely the ending she had earned instead of a generic "and then she died and went to Heaven."

muscles like this? posted:

The Montoya and Allen parts got beefed up to series regulars after the pilot.

To be fair if they didn't include these characters someone at the WB was really really not doing their homework. I mean who the gently caress were they hoping to use instead? A bunch of Liv Dymore's like Constantine who come in from out of town and spend every episode weirded out by criminals with gimmicks?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My eyes won't stop rolling at that blurb and I don't know why.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd love to see how a shambling turd of a show like AoS would attempt to explain Gambit as something other than a mutant. Even though the solution is fairly simple (he's an Inhuman, they dance around the mutant issue by wondering how the hell someone could have spontaneous powers, etc.) I know they'd still find a way to gently caress it up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

There's a lot of characters I could imagine it being but none of them are very exciting or well-known. Certainly not something worth teasing fans over.

Have you seen how deep into the reject bin Marvel has to go to find characters they're comfortable letting AoS use? It's definitely something not very exciting or well-known.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It's Jim Steranko, you guys. There wouldn't even be an Agents of SHIELD show if not for his contributions, and he was an escape artist and a roguish type.

Would unironically tune in for this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Agent Ward was even the slightest bit interesting?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Holy poo poo Powers isn't dead yet? Bendis has been shopping that around since before I was even into comics. I thought it had long since gone the way of the Fables show.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Deadpool posted:

This advertisement is pretty drat awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8LU-WUc8bs

I look forward to when the laws of breaking the sound barrier are completely ignored in the actual show.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

OK, the tag there works for me, but it is veering pretty close to Supernatural territory.

What's that TVTropes name for when something relatively original, groundbreaking, and influential is seen as a derivative of its own derivatives in the light of its more popular progeny? It's not "Seinfeld is Unfunny" but it's related to that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That sure is a Matt Murdock costume. Not a huge fan of the hair though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Detail on that get kind-of fuzzy since there's no actual way to portray how Daredevil's sonar-sense or whatever visually without just making it looks like he sees the world in photonegative or some poo poo, but the official word is still that he's actually blind.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bullseye was a massive ham who indulged the worst of Frank Miller/Kevin Smith "look at how loving deadly he makes this mundane object!" tendencies in like five or six scenes, and The Kingpin was well-cast but wasn't really given anything to do other than glower and look menacing.

Maybe the director's cut gives more for the Kingpin, but yea ToastyPotato is right-- the church scene was awful.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Michael James Shaw has been cast as Papa Midnite in Constantine. If you're asking "Who?" well that's because he hasn't really been in anything.

Meh as long as he's a good Papa Midnite I don't really care. Also hooray more Papa Midnite!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A pity they can't just kill the whole team and start fresh with decent actors and concepts. Especially Skye. I really really hate that character.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

God-willing. I'm totally ok with getting on-board with AoS if it's one of those "ignore 95% of the first season" shows like Parks & Rec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Also y'know, a roster of characters that weren't all transparent attempts to emulate Whedon's Buffy formula. For the top-secret top-tier team of SHIELD agents they're all remarkably immature save for Dragon Lady and Whitebread McCheese. Plus Skye is just ill-conceived on every goddamn level.