Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
They can't fix things if there's no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Iris West and Vibe cast for the Flash series.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

Any thoughts on that weird body Could on saw? My first thought was it could be Coulson's body, implying he is a clone or LMD.
You saw a giant jacked blue dude with his butt missing and the first thing you thought of was Coulson?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

People of the world, stop naming your kids Steve McQueen.
Okay but this one can't help it, his grandfather was the OG.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Meanwhile in Canada, some blurry on-set Flash-in-costume photos are coming in. Blur puns unintentional.

And one that's a bit more clear.

Heck, one more for the road. Doesn't look quite as spandexy and skintight as in the promo shot, but I'm digging it either way.

Aiight gently caress all those, here are some HQ ones

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 12, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well I'll grant that he looks more like the character than a whole lot of other comics-related casting recently, including those from shows I actually like!

But then again, looking like Constantine's the easy part. Now comes the hard part. :ohdear:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Here's the "Gotham" trailer.

Pretty much what you'd expect. Looks pretty, though.

update: Full two-minutes extended trailer.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 6, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Holy poo poo, I had fully expected Agent Carter to be stuck in backburner hell forever. Props to ABC and Marvel for not playing around and going full tilt with their properties.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There's more than one pronunciation of Constantine? :confused: It's a normal human name, kind of uncommon, but not some made up fantasy word.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 12, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Here's an IGN preview clip of Constanteen that makes the man himself sound pretty spot-on awesome but ehhh that woman's acting seems pretty horrific, to me at least.

e: BEATEN BY MINUTES

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 12, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Very ironically quick peak at the Flash in action at the end of this updated Arrow finale preview. Spoilers for Arrow, obviously.

Full preview for Flash airing right after the Arrow episode.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm excited for Renee but she should be, like, way younger than Bruce Wayne.

FFS they needed to just make Gotham Central or, heck, just make a Batman TV show.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah I mean that Flash trailer was close to the best thing I've seen in my life

but

I'm about 500% certain that Geoff Johns wrote that whole clunky "guardian angel saving people in a flash" line.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

From a technical standpoint, I can see them maintain a pretty good effects standard if they can really nail down the "make Flash go fast" process to a functional workflow.

Probably won't see tornadoes in every episode, more's the pity.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Denisof was in Avengers. Leave the bad Whedon actor stank away from potentially good Netflix series.
You mean Gjokaj was in Avengers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

No one thinks she might actually just be Elektra?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Do they seriously think audience members are that dumb? :psyduck:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The one thing I am concerned about -- and this is seriously just the one thing because I liked everything else -- is the whole Iris relationship. It just seems ripe for a retread of the whole wangsty CWness that plagued Arrow's first season. Like, did they seriously put her with Barry's potential nemesis? Really? And the whole "promise you won't tell Iris your secret" thing with her dad? Holy poo poo, I know this is a comic book story and god bless it for that, but let's not go overboard with these overdone beats.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

WarLocke posted:

I think you're right, but what reason would Thawn/Zoom/Reverse Flash/whatever have for moving young Barry a couple blocks over and leaving him when his objective is (presumably) to kill him?
Post-Crisis Zoom (so the one that fought Wally, not Barry) would've done it so that surviving the tragedy makes Barry a better hero. That was his shtick, more or less.

Original flavor Reverse-Flash would've done it just to be a dick. Why kill the hero when you can make him hurt instead?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Constantine pilot was pretty decent. Certainly better than a lot of other stuff that tries to hop on this kind of bandwagon. But I still felt like some of the beats were a bit forced, like they're trying to get you to feel these great tragic moments deep in your soul without having really earned those moments.

I still think the lead actress is pretty dire...but on the other hand Matt Ryan is selling the hell out of this guy.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh I really liked the Constantine film, but this was before I had any notion or conception of the Hellblazer comic. Even today I kind of enjoy it as a sort of alternate reality Constantine. Certainly it was a better adaptation than some other comic book characters have gone through.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Geez. Well I did complain about that actress, but I sure didn't expect them to pull such a drastic move at this point.

They're gonna have to reshoot nearly the entire thing. The whole plot was about Liv.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh, I thought the point was to flat-out scrap the character and redo her role in the plot with the Zed character instead. Do we think they'll actually keep Liv's story as is, and then just move on without her into episode 2?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't even think it sounds particularly like Gambit other than the fact that you could make a pun on the "wild card" thing. Gambit isn't some masterful escape artist, nor is he all that big on the whole "personal gain" thing. He's more of a thrillseeker and daredevil (...heh) instead of a mercenary.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It would be a crime of Smallville-esque proportions if they don't have a musical episode of the Flash by, like, the end of the first season.

Grant Gustin: music training, starred on Glee
Jesse L. Martin: Original Collins in RENT
Carlos Valdes: Starred in ONCE on Broadway

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I actually liked the Affleck Daredevil movie, but I thought it was funny how Mark Wade made it a point to mention, in his recent run, that the sound of rain actually makes it harder for Matt to focus.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

It was a pilot. They are usually horrible
Arrow and Flash pilots were both great. Even Constantine was competent about what it did.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't know if Wells is impatient for killing Stagg. I got the impression that he knows for a fact that Stagg will do something really bad in the future and this is Wells simply taking preemptive measures against it. From a certain perspective, he may well have waited a long time for just the right moment to kill Stagg. (The public is aware that there were multiple hit men going after him, and Barry at least knows Stagg probably brought it on himself, so someone killing the guy doesn't raise any suspicions at this precise moment in time)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Here's a pretty hefty new interview with Geoff Johns where he covers basically every single corner of the DC television universe and a bit about the movies as well. Some interesting bits to get pumped about.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Writing for Glee makes someone more suitable for a live action Archie, not less!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Dacap posted:

Reports are saying that Supergirl will be named Kara Danvers. I wonder if that's a hit at Marvel
Nah (or, possibly nah), the Silver Age Supergirl's secret identity was Linda Danvers. Nowadays the "Linda Danvers" moniker is still a little bit caught up in Peter David's (totally awesome) earth-born angel incarnation of Supergirl from the 90s, so it's not too strange that they just call her Kara Danvers for the show.

edit: oh yeah, to clarify, Supergirl's Kryptonian name is Kara Zor-El, which is what she mostly goes by in the comics nowadays. So Kara Danvers is a mix.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 31, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That was a while back though. I mean, it was...so bad, but it was a while back. :shobon:

Arrow this season really has been sitting on its laurels (:haw:). While a lot of individual moments are great, nothing has altogether coalesced into a good story. The most interesting ongoing plot is probably Laurel's slow build training with Ted Grant, but even that's been marred by a lot of choppy, by-the-numbers writing.

It truly is a wintery day in hell that I'm dissing Arrow while defending AoS, and yet here we are.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think he's talking about the Centipede guy that Raina and co. broke out of prison and ate a steak or something. To be fair I think he was only in two episodes.

e: right, that^

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

No you are insane. Commit yourself.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Considering Supergirl isn't even cast yet and Vixen already has artwork for the cartoon, probably Vixen. Casting a VA is going to be a billion times easier than casting Supergirl, especially if you considering Vixen was already in some cartoons (Young Justice? Something else?) and they can reuse one of those if they are feeling particularly lazy.
(They probably wouldn't do this, but) If they plan on having a live-action version of her appear on the live-action shows at some point, it may be cool if they just hired the VA based on who they eventually want to see in the shows.

(It may also be a terrible idea because good live-action actors are not guaranteed to be good VAs in any way shape or form, but hey)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah I miss Bucky.

I watched OUAT until halfway through the second season when I just got this sudden unsettling realization that there wasn't actually a point to literally anything going on.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

greatn posted:

Supergirl is cast, Melissa Benoist of Whiplash and Glee.

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/supergirl-melissa-benoist-glee-754208#!/live-feed/supergirl-melissa-benoist-glee-754208

I know nothing about her but she certainly looks the part.
Serendipity demands that I post this.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's one thing to not know news or trailers or random clickbait rumors, but to not be aware that they were doing a new film at all is bit much. The whole thing about a black Johnny Storm was pretty much everywhere when it first got announced.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well, Smallville had a black Pete Ross and the hellscape abomination that was David E. Kelley's Wonder Woman TV pilot had a black Etta Candy. Switching the races of secondary side characters, the ones that play second fiddle to the big heroes, is not utterly groundbreaking at this point; what's more significant is to cast people of color as leading main characters.

That said, I do agree that this casting, and what they did with Iris on the Flash, are steps in the right direction since they're evidently supposed to be seen as the romantic leads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

...Right. He's the "this casting" I was referring to.