Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has the UK premiere date for AoS season two been announced yet? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

No, as in it's LITERALLY shot in Vancouver. Just like Smallville, Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, Stargate and basically any other genre show in the last 15 years.

I think Vancouver's best performance was when it played against type as "Seacouver" in Highlander: The Series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard it kept getting into big behind-the-scenes fights with Adrian Paul, but don't quote me on that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

Weird, their "Supergirl before Supergirl" type show in Kantor also looks a lot like Vancouver.

HitTheTargets posted:

"Diana, you will be the first Amazon to leave this island and walk in Man's World. I believe they call it Seattle."

Seacouver!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would kind of dig it if DC's TV universe ended up with Supergirl "as" Superman, if you get what I mean. She'd be the last survivor of Krypton instead of Kal-El and she'd become Earth's number-one hero. That would be pretty cool. Kind of like how Oliver Queen is basically their Batman.

It'll probably not happen, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

First Peggy Carter Clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V13W9gQ_1GA#t=118

Look pretty fuckin good to me.

Sort of like the 1940s version of Alias, then? Seems good to me. Who's in charge of running this series?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never watched the old Hulk TV series (the one with Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno), but I saw it on DVD at half-price in a shop recently. What's it like?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

Ok, cool, thanks for the explaining, I do like the sound of that detective stuff and getting her life back together. Is Alias widely available in trade or would I be better off buying from Marvel digitally?

There's an omnibus with the complete series which either just has been or is just about to be reprinted.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
From the screenwriter of The Man of Steel comes Gotham: Superman Style as a SyFy original series.

I think Before Smallville would be punchier.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm just trying to reconcile how he can be trying to save the world and kill Barry's mom at the same time.

I imagine it's one of those scenarios where he's determined the Flash is the key to saving the future, but he's also worked out that the murder of Nora Allen (or, perhaps more particularly, Barry spending the next 15 years or so trying to clear his father's name) was key to the creation of the Flash. Murdered parents as the catalyst of heroism is just one of those things superhero comics seem to fall back on a lot, all the way back to Batman; I understand that it was a new dimension added to Barry's backstory in the New 52 (I have not read New 52 Flash) and, if I recall correctly, it was something the Hunter Zolomon version of Reverse-Flash/Professor Zoom did to Wally West in Geoff Johns's Flash from around 10 years ago.

So, I imagine when Barry learns everything and he's gone medieval on him, Wells will get a monologue where he takes credit for making Flash what he is, how he got his hands dirty and did what needed to be done.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astro Nut posted:

... DC's first superhero show specifically about a female hero in decades ...

Sure, Birds of Prey was only about 10 years ago, wasn't it? :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fishylungs posted:

Just use Gina Torres. Use her for all things.

I would sort of dig it if the forthcoming MCU Captain Marvel movie pulled a fast one and cast Gina Torres as Monica Rambeau. It'll never happen but it might be funny to see if the Carol Corps would have as apoplectic a reaction to it as your stereotypical CBR message board nerds.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Recently heard that Berlanti and Guggenheim were talking about the possibility of potentially doing an Atom spin-off with Routh.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Metal Loaf posted:

Recently heard that Berlanti and Guggenheim were talking about the possibility of potentially doing an Atom spin-off with Routh.

Here's where I read this. Also said Arrow/Flash crossovers will be a kind of JLA/JSA style annual event.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

XboxPants posted:

(I mean sure, real life doesn't work that way unless they're pretty hardcore electrical engineers with advanced theoretical knowledge, but based on the approach we've seen to "science" in this show I think it's a safe bet)

Sure, they're just following the comics, where most of the Rogues designed and built all these amazing weapons while they were in prison. Compared to what Weather Wizard (a wand that could control the weather itself) and Mirror Master (a trans-dimensional teleportation device) were able to research and build with nothing more than the resources in a prison library and workshop, Captain Cold's cold-emitting gun is almost pedestrian.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've just got watching the latest episode of The Flash. Wentworth Miller is clearly having the time of his life.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

I like they are making Jimmy an alpha male type dude that Supergirl crushes on rather than a nerd crushing on her. Because I think in a world without Superman to become dependent on that's actually how Jimmy would probably end up. Hot shot photographer, relatively good looking, generally brave, Clark Kent's best bro. He only looks like a dweeb because you're holding him up next to Superman.

Not dissimilar to a male version of Lois Lane, I suppose.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Has there been any word on who's doing the voice yet?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Starman, huh? I suppose Jack Knight is off-limits for television (barring permission from Robinson) just as he is in the comics?

The most recent episode of The Flash was pretty good even if the tag sort of overshadowed it. Felt sort of like a pilot in disguise, though I don't mean that in a pejorative way. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Supergirl series has started looking for Superman. So he's definitely in it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I reckon they'll go for a kind of alternate universe angle; the CW will be Earth 1 and CBS will be Earth 2.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Some people are speculating it's going to be an anthology show, kind of BatB for TV. I dunno how else that announcement makes sense.

So, basically Heroes with DC characters?

teagone posted:

What universe are the movies?

Earth 3; it makes sense that the Crime Syndicate would live somewhere dour and drab-looking. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 27, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

XboxPants posted:

No, since Heroes was incredibly serialized and nothing like an anthology style show.

Right, I misunderstood what was meant by anthology. I took it to mean "ensemble", which is just plain wrong, really.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Dean Cain and Helen Slater have landed roles on CBS' Supergirl

Their roles haven't been revealed but I'd think they're Kara's parents.

Cain will play Perry White.

Rick Perry White, that is.

:smug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looks fine to me. Not sure about the lack of yellow in the emblem, but I guess that's just what I'm accustomed to. There's no harm in trying something different.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
True enough. Though I think if you look closely at Wells's future newspaper in the pilot episode, he seems to be wearing the bright red costume with the white background on his chest insignia.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It was great fun to see the Preacher TV series mentioned in the Belfast Telegraph maybe a month back; they were trying to do their usual thing of slobbering all over anything that they think could put Northern Ireland on the map, no matter how tangential it may be (I'm pretty sure they must have had a picture of Jamie Dornan on the front page near every day for about a fortnight before 50 Shades of Grey came out), but this time they obviously couldn't work out how to reconcile that instinct with their uneasiness about the subject matter.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToastyPotato posted:

Claw woman was even dumber. She is a nurse who managed to somehow "permanently graft" razors to her finger tips and SHIELD of all people, had no way to remove them. I am pretty sure nothing can be permanently grafted to a finger tip, since it is... a finger tip. The time the spent crafting those horrible shackle gloves, they could have just used that laser cutter to removed the blades.

Haha, I've not seen this yet, but my first thought on reading that description was the Mortal Kombat web series pilot from a few years back where Baraka is a former plastic surgeon who killed a bunch of patients on the operating table then got into self-mutilation and grafted retractable blades to his forearms. Not sure why my mind went there, but it did. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe because the creator of that web-series is the brother of one of the SHIELD showrunners, and she's gotten him to direct several episode including this one?

Haha, I didn't know that. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm thinking they could do an ensemble thing where there's several stories going on at once and intersecting from time to time, like Heroes or True Blood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
According to this, the Purple Man may not actually be Purple in the Jessica Jones series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've read that 22 episode seasons may be on the way out. I don't know if that would be a good thing or a bad thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

XboxPants posted:

Imagine you have a series of movies about a man who's story is that he's always trying to find his true love. Then they make a TV series about the same guy, with the same premise, but that while the TV show must never contradict the films, none of the events of the TV series are ever going to be acknowledged by the movie series. Not only would that mean that there are zero stakes in any of the man's romances on the TV show, but that there can never be any character development, no important characters introduced, nothing fleshed out about his past for fear that the films would later want to talk about that area.

Sort of like the Highlander TV series, except with decapitation instead of finding true love.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The series is fun in a kind of campy nineties way. I'm into that sort of thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The second half of each season was shot in Paris, so they'd have appearances from British and European actors who weren't yet well known. There's one episode in season one where Marion Cotillard appears as the daughter of an Immortal mafia boss; the same episode also features Anthony Stewart Head doing an American accent (:stare:) while the first Amanda episode had Jason Isaacs playing the evil Immortal of the week.

I also enjoyed: the episode where Geraint Wyn Davies played an Immortal who had a girlfriend called Janette during the First World War (because it was a Forever Knight referece); and the one where the flashbacks revolve around Amanda and Nicholas Lea's character playing an Immortal Bonnie and Clyde in the 1920s, with MacLeod having to dig them up every time they were shot dead by the police so they could start over.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Longbaugh01 posted:

Wait. Why was this?

Joint production with a French company run by a guy who was friends with Christopher Lambert, I believe.

quote:

Oh god. Forever Knight.

Hey, Forever Knight was great. It was cheap, but it was great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Methos was one of the Four Horsemen; Kronos (one of his partners) was the main villain in season four. As for Forever Knight, there's an interview on DVD sets in which James D. Parriott (the creator) and Geraint Wyn Davies (the lead) say the series was aiming for a kind of Anne Rice idea; that was the main influence, and the Lestat series has obviously been an enduring influence on a lot of subsequent vampire fiction one way or another (whether it's Buffy, Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood, whatever), probably second only to Dracula.

You can probably put all this stuff in the same continuum of genre television as superhero shows. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is this meant to be a finite story, or is it going to be an ongoing series?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToastyPotato posted:

Doesn't Time Warner have a relationship with Amazon? Also, Time Warner DOES own HBO, which I know falls into the "they shoulda made it an HBO series!" cliche. But they own HBO so....

Maybe they'll wait and see how Preacher does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw the most recent Flash episode and I see why they always have Cavanagh take the cowl off when Reverse-Flash isn't doing the blurry vibration thing; doesn't look as good with it up, unless he's doing the glowy eyes at the same time.