Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

There was also a bus with a Blue Devil movie ad on the side.

Also Sara's old bar tending gig was at a club called Oblivion, which I believe is connected to Blue Devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if they are going to explain Speed Forceology early on or just hope that the casual viewer doesn't go "Waaaaait, wouldn't that break all the bones in his hand :confused: "

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno what the Marvel explanation is for guys like Quicksilver, but there are a bunch more speedsters in DC I think anyway.

Also do they still do the thing where the speedsters have to constantly eat all the time?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

For those that haven't seen it

People are guessing a Kree but given that it's Agents of SHIELD it'll turn out to be a dark elf or frost giant that has been hit with gamma radiation and found during WW2.

Atlantean!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

xposting from TVIV but while there have been a lot of rumors surrounding TVD star Steve McQueen being cast as Nightwing in Arrow, the actor himself said he's been in talks.
http://television.cosmicbooknews.com/content/steven-mcqueen-confirms-nightwing-talks-arrow-video

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I heard they were trying out some new tech or techniques for superspeed for the Flash show, so they are at least aware of the issue of doing convincing super speed on TV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah the big thing is that sure The Flash series may never actually take shape and he could just be relegated to guest extra on Arrow depending on how things go.

Though that does seem unlikely.

CW has a much lower ratings threshold for success than other networks, or even cable. Arrow, I think, is either their #2 or #3 show, Grant Gustin was very well received by fans and I know that Arrow fans are super psyched about it. Of course, the list of good live action superhero TV shows is exactly one name long, so it could be terrible and everyone could hate it. Then again, Smallville had 10 seasons, so I think that prospects are good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd say the gold standard for super speed on film is the Faora vs. soldiers fight in Man of Steel, but that may be a bit beyond a CW's show budget.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jack Napier or Joe Chill?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just get used to drabber colors, I don't think there's a brightly colored hero on any screen anywhere.

There's also a finer line between cool and goofy with the bright colors, and you don't want goofy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ruh roh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

It's amusing that when I see this Constantine pics I think "man he dresses up like Castiel from Supernatural" knowing full well that Castiel's look was based completely on Constantine.

I'm sure there will be a million tweets about how Constantine is a total ripoff of Castiel after it premieres.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Behold! Deathlok!!!

:what:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

He should keep getting hurt more and more as it goes on and getting more robot parts.

He should at least get a lazer tag gun.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I am a deadly cyborg supervillian! I am wearing navy slacks!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hehe look what Rick and Morty is doing in two weeks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_oK-tHGhQ8

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The probably completely spurious, but would be awesome if true rumor is that Michael C. Hall is being considered for the Netflix Daredevil. Yes, I know you are all "pfff April Fools" but the news is from a couple of days ago. Anyway, the show is set to begin filming in July so either way, they have to nail down a lead pretty quickly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I can't hear you over the sound of the ratings plummeting.

Netflix, son.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Franklin the Dummy operated by Will Arnett for Luke Cage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought Civil War was fine.

This site says they've read the Constantine pilot and here's how they break it down:

quote:

The pilot takes place in and around New York City (which I don't think has been known about until now).
When we first find John, we learn he has voluntarily checked himself into a psychiatric clinic. He's haunted by an incident in which he lost a 9-year-old girl to a demon who has dragged her soul to hell. This incident has a significant impact on his life and it's hat is driving him. He checks himself out of the hosptial after six months to find something sinister is afoot in the realm of the supernatural.
John's a clever wise-rear end. His business card reads "Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts," but as he tells his doctor, he should replace "master" with "petty dabbler" because he hates to put on airs. He also doesn't like to talk much about his past; he masks his emotions with wry humor.
We won't see John in his classic trenchcoat right away, but he gets there.
An angel – Manny – has been assigned to John to help ease his soul into damnation. John hates angels.
Liv Parsons, a young woman who works at a rental car facility, gets caught up in John's world when she discovers something is after her. Liv's deceased father, Jasper, knew John and John owes a debt to him.
Papa Midnite – an imposing Cuban man who can dream the future – is ailing when we first find him. He's doing a lot of cocaine because he has to stay awake.
Expect to meet "Chaz," John's driver who is a tall, sensitive, quiet type yet is quite knowledgeable about the supernatural himself.
The pilot is brimming with possessions, ghosts (Liv discovers a way to see the dead) and demons and the story does an adept job at not losing its audience in the mythology. Liv is our conduit to John's world of rituals, pendants, black magic and more and it handles the exposition well.
The foundation is set for a long-lasting partnership between Liv and John. Now that she's aware of the world beyond ours, she wants to use her knowledge to help others. But is John willing to assist her?

Nothing there stands out as particularly egregious, unlike the leaked Gotham pilot script that had Alfred telling Bruce to stop playing silly buggers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

They completely changed the premise of the show and one character (so far) has had a massive personality revamp.

Is that Sky?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Squirrel girl steals the Thanos-chopper

How could you possibly know who's chopper it was?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Now that Thanos is an ultimate big bad, does anyone ever go, "hey, didn't you used to fly around in a big dumb helicopter?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Last night's Arrow pretty much said "things are hosed for Oliver" in a big loud voice, and it was a great episode in doing so. I love the idea of mini-Slades running around ready to cause poo poo like a bunch of drunken football hooligans and it was nice to see Oliver pushed to the brink before deciding to stay and fight, and still having his plans backfire. I usually hate it when the villain always seems to be two steps ahead of the hero the whole time, but in Arrow's case the show has really been showing how Slade is in a whole different league from Oliver, and everytime Oliver says that they have to fight smart, he gets his arse handed to him.

I don't know if you saw the preview but poo poo is about to go OFF. Merlyn in it and I've read that Sara is basically on a recruiting trip to pick up Nyssa and the rest of the LoA so the last two episodes are basically going to be Team Arrow/League of Assassins vs. Slade's army.

Waterhaul posted:

I loved when Oliver revealed his identity to Blood who just started laughing with an "oh well poo poo now that i think of it of course you're the Arrow".

It kind of sucks that Kevin Alejandro has had to play second fiddle to Manu this season because he is loving awesome. Not that Manu isn't awesome, I just with the Brother Blood stuff would've had a bit more time to breathe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah. Apparently the finale is going to be in real time too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

What does this mean? The episode will take place over the course of less than an hour?

Yeah, like an episode of 24. That's just what I've heard don't go tweeting it to all your friends.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Holy poo poo, I had fully expected Agent Carter to be stuck in backburner hell forever. Props to ABC and Marvel for not playing around and going full tilt with their properties.

Fuckin' everyone is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Daredevil is confirmed for next year. I'd presume they'd do two a year given that stretching it out to 5 years seems a bit long.

They still haven't cast DD and they are supposed to start shooting in two months. I guess they are going to have to do a lot of stunt double work instead of training the actor to do blind ninja poo poo.

The showrunner of Gotham says some dumb things.

quote:

I don’t think Batman works very well on TV — to have people behind masks. Frankly, all those superhero stories I’ve seen, I always love them until they get into the costume. And then it’s, “Oh, okay, they’ve ascended, they’ve stopped becoming humans.” It’s their apotheosis. They go to heaven and they’re Superman. There have been so many great versions of it. This is a version of something else entirely.

I believe this was the primary philosophy of Smallville. Also, watch Arrow bro.

Also from that interview: they are doing the Joker because of course they are and the kid that plays Bruce Wayne is the best actor to play Bruce Wayne ever!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

GODDAMNIT.

DC/WB needs to hire someone whose job it is to punch people when they pull poo poo like this.

"Well, we think bringing the Joker in would reall-" *THUNK* "No."

In the interview the guy was like "you know some people wonder if a Joker character would be overshadowed by Ledger's iconic performance" and his response was "well bro I wrote lines for Cleopatra and Marc Antony so it'll be fine".

redbackground posted:

Like, teen Joker?

It's turning into Gotham High, but now it's live action!

It'll be a Jack Napier deal I bet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

That's a really vague statement to take away "We are totally doing the Joker specifically" from.

It would be, yes, if the source of that statement wasn't posted on this very page but here you go anyway:

quote:

You mentioned The Killing Joke. So you’ll bring in The Joker?

He’s the crown jewel of the Batman villains. He will be brought in with great care and a lot of thought.

Some feel Heath Ledger’s performance was so iconic it would be a mistake to try to do that character again so soon.

I’ve written scenes for Julius Caesar and Marc Anthony and Cleopatra. So while that is a serious and valid note, you can’t get into doing this without going there. That was a wonderful performance and — apart from everything else — wonderful make-up. And we should try to live up to that. It will be a different character. It’s certainly going to be more Heath Ledger than Cesar Romero. But like I say, all of these people are real people with feelings and emotions and history and parents. I just build from that.

His favorite Batman comics are The Killing Joke and "the Frank Miller stuff, obviously".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

There was an early draft of the script leaked a while back which has a comedian at Fish Mooney's script which was very much a "THIS MAY BE THE JOKER".

Leaked script you say!?

quote:

• Here's the proto-villains introduced in the pilot: A 14-year-old Catwoman, already cat-burglering and associating with cats; the Riddler, who is working for the GCPD as a coroner and who tries to present all pertinent case information as riddles; the Penguin, a mid-level thug, who as mentioned earlier is repeatedly referred to as looking like a penguin.

• Additionally, Gordon and Bullock enter a run-down apartment where a little girl named Ivy lives with her lovely parents and, according to the script, a lot of houseplants. Could this perhaps be Poison Ivy? Well, in the comics, Poison Ivy's real name is Pamela Isley. Is Gotham giving us a clever feint here? Probably not.

• There's also a comedian telling jokes in gangster Fish Mooney's club, jokes straight out of Reader's Digest circa 1942. Mooney laughs hysterically, and, just in case those feelings were somehow opaque to the audiences, she tells the comedian she likes him. A lot. Repeatedly.

• Major Crimes detective Renee Montoya used to date Gordon's fiancée, because LESBIANS. And for bonus points, Bullock even calls her a dyke. Fun!

• Alfred appears to have a crazy cockney accent, and I swear to god this is real dialogue from the script:

ALFRED: Oi! Master Bruce! Stop playing silly buggers! Get your bloody arse down off there!
• One more line for the road from Gordon's fiancée:

BARBARA (blithely): Jim, you are the cleverest, bravest, goodest man in Gotham.

This has probably already been mad debunked but it's already my head canon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Thing about the netflix shows is that they won't be on the radar as much as any network shows, and even with the network shows, outside of Flash and Gotham, most people won't know they are based on comics.

Daredevil had a pretty big movie before.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok what's the Original Writer injoke I'm missing here? Does it involve Alan Moore being a prick?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Marvel is crediting Moore as The Original Writer for the Miracleman reprints because he is done with them (he wants everyone else involved to get their respective credit though), and this way everyone's happy.

Gotcha.

Courtesy of the TVIV Arrow thread. (VDay pulled some trailer stills as well in that post.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought Constantine was supposed to look like Bowie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All you guys talk about is loving AoS.

Anyway, Greg Berlanti tweeted that Ollie is going to be part of that Flash sneak peak after the Arrow finale so I guess Ollie is going to be a part of the Flash pilot/premiere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

We can talk about how boring and inaccessible Arrow is, if you'd prefer. Or how Arrow and Flash desperately want to live in a shared universe, but won't likely cross over with MoS or Gotham...

We can talk about how your opinion is wrong and dumb!

I mean seriously what the gently caress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That seriously looks so loving good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Also, I wish CW would just order a bloody Suicide Squad tv show already.

I think that if the Flash does well, that's their next move, with Manu headlining. They better not try to steal Diggle though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Superheroing scenes in daylight would probably make 90% of the difference. And not having the city be a crime-infested hellhole.

I'd like it if it ended up, tonally at least, like STAS compared to BTAS. They had the same production house and similar animation styles, but Superman was bright and comic book-y and Batman was dark and realistic.