Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Maybe if they had actually made a good movie.

That doesn't seem to be necessary to make a billion dollars and craft your big web of shared universes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

Nobody wants to touch a failure. That's a pretty good general rule, but it gets iron clad in dysfunctional places like DC.

Oh I know they couldn't continue off it, I just meant that Marvel is doing pretty well even though only a couple of the movies in the whole thing were well received.

I guess they did start off with one that was, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

e X posted:

Bullshit, if a guy says that he doesn't much like season 1 and feels that he got the important stuff from the recap, there is no reason to say he has to watch it. That is bad advice, because you basically say he has to watch something he clearly doesn't enjoy. You can the second season just fine without knowing the ins and outs of the first.

Nobody says you shouldn't watch the first season, or that the first season isn't good, but it is defiantly possible to just start with the second season.

He can't possibly know if he got all the important stuff from the recap.

Someone who did see season 1 would have to watch it to know for sure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Warner Bros general stance is that you cannot have a character be on both a TV show and a movie because it might confuse audiences, and Batman is going to be in the Superman movie. They know this is scientific fact because this has happened before with

Green Lantern, actually.

"What the gently caress Hollywood? Why did they make him white?!"

Granted JLU was cancelled by then, but it was running on plenty of channels.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Of course, we couldn't have the movie star a black leading man to prevent that because

Because JLU John Stewart is duller than the Flash was in the season he didn't even speak.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A cheerleader teen drama? Sign me u- Wait, Superman is producing this? Forget it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vic Sage, Visage.

Why did I never notice that before?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Wow Black Canary looked awful. Its weird based on the style of costumes every else has, they couldn't have left her leather jacket?

She did have a jacket sometimes.

It didn't help.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh. its crazy because the outfit she wears is pretty basic; bodysuit, fishnets, combat boots and a black leather jacket. She sounds like an extra from a Frankie Goes to Hollywood video, but its not as out there as pretty much everyone else is.

I'm curious how Arrow will go, especially when they already have one Canary.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Universal has the Namor rights explicitly.

Namor apparently has some other weird rights stuff too, because the devs of Marvel Heroes said they don't have access to him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

How is Universal allowed to squat on the rights to Namor? Everyone else has to release X number of films or whatever within a period of time or forfeit the rights.

They just got them in 2006.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

^^^ Fox has those, so Universal getting Namor is even more peculiar.

That's still 8 years ago. Fox and Sony both have to put out stuff every few years or something like that. I think the longest they can go is 10? I mean, Fox did that early 90's FF movie just to keep the rights refreshed and then never released it, didn't they?

Last Fantastic Four was 2007, so the term is up there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

51 is probably still a kid to most television execs.

Sumner Redstone's oldest is 59.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 2, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Didn't the eventually make it "One power at a time"? That made sense.

Yeah but then I think he used that to take Sylar's power which let him do whatever he wanted again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think it's meant to be 4 of them at 13 each, so they probably just rounded.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

I don't know how big $4 mil is in something like this, but it seems a bit silly. What were they going to do, move DD to Hell's Kitchen, Toronto?

There's a good chance most on screen depictions of Hell's Kitchen were not filmed there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Once upon a time Stuntmen were basically magic in the way transistors were.

Just being a stuntman qualified you for all manner of superheroics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LorneReams posted:

As someone who was always confused by poo poo like how he breathes when he runs so fast, what is the answer?

Magic.

He gets his powers from the Speed Force, which is a mostly magical universal force that conveniently covers every negative aspect of super-speed for you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

They don't have to do Speed Force, they can just leave it as some word chemical reaction/meta change like the mirakuru.

Speed Force might be good if they're trying to make the show a bit more 'high powered' superhero though, not sure exactly how they'd go about expositing on it. How did the character(s) figure out about the Speed Force in the comics?

A guy ran fast enough to almost get there and then told everyone else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Seeing as Flash's recent TV cartoon appearances have had him eating a lot (as Wally West at least) I would imagine that they do end up going with that for the show, even if it isn't comic accurate, mostly because it is a visual gag they are going to want to pull and gives him a "quirk" they can play with.

Poor Grant Gustin. Eating on film is one of the worst things to do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I doubt the actual species is going to matter in the long run though.

Unless they want to make Skye Captain Marvel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone posted this in the TV IV thread:

quote:

Blue dude is probably an inhuman, Marvel's way of getting around using mutants in the MCU without mutants.

A few months ago people were reacting to Coulson's surgery and saying "thats hosed up!" And Clark Gregg tweeted "Yes its almost....inhuman"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It would be a little better than Katee Sackhoff, but not by much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus that one has nothing to do with the Kree, or any other aliens.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's About Half'a Inhuman Torso Inside

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

I wouldn't really call it a proud Marvel tradition when you have SHIELD for ages and obviously the likes of AIM and MODOK and then Whedon comes along with the dumbly named SWORD and then every organisation has to be an acronym.

Isn't that meant to be a pretty forced acronym in universe too?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I can't believe we haven't seen Agents of D.I.L.D.O. XXX yet.

Man those parodies are like high budget now. They have shooting schedules and post-production work, they don't just drop them in a week like they used to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

:gizz:

When is coming out? :suspense:

Still just a pilot, not even finished filming.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Already the biggest difference between Flash and Arrow, Flash is operating during the day in full costume.

Not necessarily. Shooting day for night isn't uncommon. Arrow does it too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A million tweets, by 15 different people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He should keep getting hurt more and more as it goes on and getting more robot parts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And then it gets cancelled.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Hmmmm. I couldn't really imagine Matt as a lumberjack.

If a tree falls in a forest and Daredevil isn't around, can he still hear it anyway?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LorneReams posted:

As someone who only has a passing familiarity with the comics, is all this leading to the civil war stuff, or is this going in another direction?

Other direction.

You need superheroes to do Civil War.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Whatever, losers!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

Wait, did something happen to Lola? Because why aren't they driving around in Lola?

You only take Lola out for special occasions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Klungar posted:

Any info on who those characters were at STAR Labs with all the name drops on tonight's Arrow?

Supporting cast on the Flash show.

The girl is based on Killer Frost, the guy is Vibe. Iris is the love interest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Klungar posted:

Gotcha, thanks. What about Wells and Dr. Light? Megaman?

Wells is another character on the show. He's the guy in charge of the particle accelerator project (and therefore creating The Flash.)

Dr. Light probably won't be in the show. He's a terrible character. He was a Justice League villain, then got demoted to kind of a joke villain. Years later they retconned that as his having been magically lobotomized for being a serial rapist. Using him will just make people think of that whole mess so he's probably sticking to a name drop.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's 2. The guy is a villain, the woman is a hero.

And they existed at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus he was goofy on the cartoon because that's post lobotomy.

Somewhere before that cartoon's timeframe, rape rape rape.