Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
:siren: Spacebase DF-9 Releases in October! But it sounds like maybe the updates will more or less dry up and there's no way the game will be done. So uh... maybe don't buy it... :siren:

Homepage | Wiki | Official Forums | twitter | Tumblr | Purchase from Double Fine | Steam Early Access

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYVKyzbF11Q

Sci-fi Dwarf Fortress from Double Fine. That's... pretty much the pitch. Check out this interview with Rock Paper Shotgun which talks about the game. This is one of the games from Double Fine's latest Amnesia Fortnight, if you remember that. You can grab it on Steam Early Access right now if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkf4l8O7b24

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Oh god, it looks like a single player Space Station 13. I must buy it.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
How much of an early access is it? Is it like when Kinetic Void appeared (something that looks like it'll one day be a game), or closer to Kerbal Space Program (it's a game and we're adding more stuff to it)?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Looking forward to digging into this.

The prospect of playing a Dwarf Fortress-style game always appealed to me, but I have yet to come across one with a UI and general presentation that let me feel like I completely understood what was happening. I have high hopes for this given the people involved.

This also seems like a cool genre to get in on the ground floor with, provided the existing content in the Early Access is functional and interesting enough.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Wyld Karde posted:

How much of an early access is it? Is it like when Kinetic Void appeared (something that looks like it'll one day be a game), or closer to Kerbal Space Program (it's a game and we're adding more stuff to it)?
Here is everything they want to add. So, subtract all of that from "space station sim" and there you go!

Just kidding. As the known issues page points out things are pretty sparse right now. It might make sense to wait for Alphas 2 or 3 or something if you want a more full-featured experience.

That said I haven't played it yet so maybe someone in the thread will play it and tell us.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I really want to buy this right now. This looks like it has a ton of potential, and I've been waiting for a game like this for a long time.

Sovietski
Jun 19, 2011

Cocktail King since 1922

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Looking forward to digging into this.

The prospect of playing a Dwarf Fortress-style game always appealed to me, but I have yet to come across one with a UI and general presentation that let me feel like I completely understood what was happening. I have high hopes for this given the people involved.

This also seems like a cool genre to get in on the ground floor with, provided the existing content in the Early Access is functional and interesting enough.

Definitely this. I know DF sticks with ASCII graphics for a reason (too much work? Actually I don't really know the reason.) But the too-good-for-graphics thing really sucks, I hate having to look at a reference to see what the hell is going on. Going to keep an eye on this one for sure.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
It's like a wet dream. I want this.

Edit: Jesus I couldn't stop myself. I dropped $50 because I BELIEVE.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 15, 2013

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

A sci fi dwarf fortress?

Build your own station?

Early access?

And it looks awesome?

:flashfap: :neckbeard:

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

No, actually. I would hate to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I can manage dwarves citizens with a sane and/or functional UI. :colbert:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

It's like a wet dream. I want this.

Edit: Jesus I couldn't stop myself. I dropped $50 because I BELIEVE.

How is it so far?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Geokinesis posted:

How is it so far?

I'm still setting it up on my laptop because I have toddlers. Once I actually get the chance to delve in I will post a FULL report. Maybe with pictures.

edit: I CAN tell you that when you activate the code on Steam it's called Codename Rickshaw :frog:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'm still setting it up on my laptop because I have toddlers. Once I actually get the chance to delve in I will post a FULL report. Maybe with pictures.

edit: I CAN tell you that when you activate the code on Steam it's called Codename Rickshaw :frog:

That'd be great! Thanks.

(Although I think the RPS interview has totally sold it to me with 'There are totally chickens, though. I promise you there are star chickens.')

TarKist
Oct 18, 2005

εν τούτω νίκα
I'm definitely eyeballing this or Godus right now. I'm a little hesitant on getting Spacebase because I have Prison Architect and this seems like it might be too similar. Also, I never play Prison Architect.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZX6PXN1G_E

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TarKist posted:

I'm definitely eyeballing this or Godus right now. I'm a little hesitant on getting Spacebase because I have Prison Architect and this seems like it might be too similar. Also, I never play Prison Architect.

Last I saw Godus wasn't really a game, you just level terrain and wait for faith to build.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Just so you know it is possible to get 20% if you own Double Fine titles.... only caveat is that nobody can figure out which ones qualify, I got the discount, but I own all the DF games and the Amnesia Fortnight bundle that included the original Spacebase DF-9 prototype.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

illectro posted:

Just so you know it is possible to get 20% if you own Double Fine titles.... only caveat is that nobody can figure out which ones qualify, I got the discount, but I own all the DF games and the Amnesia Fortnight bundle that included the original Spacebase DF-9 prototype.

It's not the amnesia fortnight that gives the discount, at least not specifically, since I don't have that but I can get 20% off. That still doesn't narrow it down much since I have almost every other DF title.

This looks promising since I like the idea of Dwarf Fortress but all of the bullshit around it turns me off. Double Fine is usually pretty good about simplifying gameplay which would address my biggest problem. And space chickens is a big selling point.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

illectro posted:

I have Psychonauts and the Amnesia Fortnight bundle, and am eligible for the 20% off, so it seems as if you just need to own at least one DoubleFine game?

I'm surprised they ran with this, since it was pretty sparse for the AF prototype, love the artstyle though. Probably going to hold off on it for a while because it still seems a bit lacking in gamey stuff right now, and I too have Prison Architect to fill this niche right now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I've been waiting for a graphical version of DF with a UI that lets me make sense of what's going on (Gnomoria! :argh:) so I'm pretty excited for this. The genre looks awesome but it's so very unfriendly to new players it's kept me away for a long time.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Faraday Cage posted:

I have Psychonauts and the Amnesia Fortnight bundle, and am eligible for the 20% off, so it seems as if you just need to own at least one DoubleFine game?

I'm surprised they ran with this, since it was pretty sparse for the AF prototype, love the artstyle though. Probably going to hold off on it for a while because it still seems a bit lacking in gamey stuff right now, and I too have Prison Architect to fill this niche right now.
Are we talking about the Steam store? I have Psychonauts and the AF bundle and no 20% off :psyduck:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ahaha, this even has the sort of blaise guitar noodling of Dwarf Fortress for a soundtrack.

BrainSlug
Apr 14, 2007

uPen posted:

Last I saw Godus wasn't really a game, you just level terrain and wait for faith to build.

Like a bad mobile version of Black&White.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Streaming here for who knows how long.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!

So many raiders.... My poor citizens.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

SPACE CHICKENS!

That want only death.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'm watching the stream and it looks pretty intuitive. It sort of reminds me of old Bullfrog games like Theme Hospital in terms of UI and gameplay features. I may just have to pick this up!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hah, placing a reactor crashed the game. I'll stream more of it at a later date when I'm not playing like an idiot.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Orv posted:

Hah, placing a reactor crashed the game. I'll stream more of it at a later date when I'm not playing like an idiot.

You too? That's what crashed me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You too? That's what crashed me.

Amusingly it's not actually necessary because power doesn't work right now. Woops!

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 15, 2013

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Everything is called Space-noun. Spacebeds. Spacerugs.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Spacewalk can be a verb! :eng101:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I'm glad to see one of the AF prototypes made into a game. I can't say it was my favourite from AF, but I'm excited for it all the same.

Looks like it's come a fair ways since the prototype, especially the visuals. I'm probably gonna buy it when I get home.

Edit.

DatonKallandor posted:

Everything is called Space-noun. Spacebeds. Spacerugs.

As it should be.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

TarKist posted:

Either you go for Spacebase and might get disappointed cause the Devs will not be able to deliver what they try to archive, even though they try hard. Or you go with Godus and you know that you'll get disappointed cause it's a Peter Molyneux game and his entire carrier is centered around promising features, content and mechanics and than never actually bothering about trying to deliver them.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Konjuro posted:

As it should be.

I'm a little disappointed their facebook version isn't called Spacebook. I guess they don't wanna get sued?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I absolutely love the sound of the game, but am hesitant after doublefine's PC release of Iron Brigade. I liked that game too, but the script pickup bug was pretty backbreaking, and as far as I am aware they never fixed it. They just blames it on games for windows live.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Orv posted:

Amusingly it's not actually necessary because power doesn't work right now. Woops!

I found that out too :) Merely for decoration!

Gum Drop
Aug 17, 2013

Competitive player of a dead game.
I have to wonder if it's a good idea to try to compete against Dwarf Fortress, in the same way that it's hard to compete as a new MMO. New MMO comes out, instantly people complain it doesn't have as much content as WoW, which while a bullshit argument, is fair in that there exists an alternative to New MMO with significantly more content: WoW. Dwarf Fortress has been in development for basically a decade. Toady has put his heart and soul into DF, and there's just so much there to do, especially so if you consider Adventure mode.

I suppose it brings in a new crowd of people, those who are interested in the concept of DF but couldn't climb the barrier to entry, but I don't think there's really an audience for the game. The target audience already has Dwarf Fortress.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Honestly the game right now reminds me more of something like Evil Genius or Dungeon Keeper than Dwarf Fortress. I don't think they are trying to compete directly against Dwarf Fortress. I didn't even think of Dwarf Fortress at all until I saw this thread's title and assumed the DF-9 part of the name was in reference to Double Fine.

Anyways, Gnomoria at least does rather okay for itself as a total clone of Dwarf Fortress so I'm not sure your argument has merit. The developer hasn't released any sales figures but it seems like they're selling quite well. There are obviously detractors but the audience for that kind of game is quite large and there are a ton of Dwarf Fortress fans who are willing to support more accessible variants, and a lot of people who wouldn't give Dwarf Fortress a chance who would like Gnomoria or Spacebase.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

infinitycanvas posted:

I have to wonder if it's a good idea to try to compete against Dwarf Fortress, in the same way that it's hard to compete as a new MMO. New MMO comes out, instantly people complain it doesn't have as much content as WoW, which while a bullshit argument, is fair in that there exists an alternative to New MMO with significantly more content: WoW. Dwarf Fortress has been in development for basically a decade. Toady has put his heart and soul into DF, and there's just so much there to do, especially so if you consider Adventure mode.

I suppose it brings in a new crowd of people, those who are interested in the concept of DF but couldn't climb the barrier to entry, but I don't think there's really an audience for the game. The target audience already has Dwarf Fortress.

WoW was successful because it took the old MMO pattern, dumped some of the bad parts and polished the rest to a mirror shine.

There is definitely plenty of room for someone to make a DF with polish. Toady is a sperg and a lot of things like 89 beard options or whatever really don't help the gameplay. Also the UI is garbage and DF is continually riddled with terrible bugs that have to be painstakingly worked around.

• Locked thread