Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

If Michael Jordan is going to play Johnny I don't see why Sue couldn't also be black. Is this a demographics thing?

It's very very very rare for a female black lead to be cast with a male white romantic lead. There's no reason why it should be but welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sanschel posted:

I'll never forget when Lee's Hulk went for the comic style scene transitions at certain points that just looked terrible; I recall one point where Ross flattens out to 2d and groaning in the theatre. I still think Absorbing Dad was a neat idea, though.

The terrible comic book transitions are one of the biggest reasons I can't enjoy that film. I get why they were done. They just look awful. They are distracting and badly done and basically everything you shouldn't be doing with that kind of stylizing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Actually Feige has said now that Natasha is enough of a character in the big films that a spin off wouldn't be worth it so they won't be doing a Black Widow film.

Haha, are you serious? Is that the excuse they're using?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

It pretty much has to be...they've said they're working on a Venom movie, and we've seen at least some references to all of the other Sinister Six members already. I'm not sure how they will manage to keep Vulture from being extremely lame though.

I would assume they'll make him a younger guy. "He can fly incredibly fast" is pretty viable as a Spider-Man villain when he doesn't look 900 years old.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I ain't a jury, I don't gotta give him the benefit of the doubt.

No but it's pretty lovely on a personal level to go "this person was accused of something and so I will instantly, without any information, treat it as undeniable fact!"

Don't see the movie (I'm sure not) but "innocent until proven guilty" is a good mindset to have even if you're not on a jury.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 17, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's really not lovely to not want to give money to a possible child rapist. I can always get it on DVD if he beats the rap.

I don't really give a poo poo about the movie. Don't go see it. However taking accusations as fact is a really lovely thing to do if it turns out they're false.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not taking them as fact. But I'm not going to pretend the allegations haven't been made just because his verdict hasn't come in. Right now he's "possibly a child rapist" and that's enough for me to not want to give him money. Sorry if that strikes you as unfair or whatever. Taking that gamble just to go see a probably lovely movie would make me uncomfortable.

Except you followed that up with "I ain't a jury, I don't gotta give him the benefit of the doubt" which made it very clear that you in fact have already made your decision, not just that you're cautious. That's the thing I responded to.

Don't go see the movie. Hell, don't go and see it even if the charges are dismissed because it looks awful as poo poo. Just try to have benefit of the doubt, that's really important even if you're not on a jury.

Edit: And I mean for the record, I don't disagree with your basic assumption. I refuse to have anything to do with any of Roman Polanski's films for exactly that reason.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 17, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Yeah I'm with Lurdiak on this one. In sexual assault cases it's best not to immediately dismiss the victims claim unless evidence proves otherwise. The rumors about Singer aren't new, and a bunch of people throwing around the "false allegations" and "It totally ruins lives!" poo poo that's already been posted in this thread is why rape goes severely unreported.

Literally nobody said or even implied that the victim should be dismissed. You are the first person to say that and it's flat-out offensive to claim that people saying "hey guys, maybe you shouldn't instantly condemn people based off accusations" are also saying "and burn the heathen boy for daring to make that accusation!" Nobody has said he is wrong for making the accusations, that they shouldn't be investigated, or even that they're 'obviously false' or something like that.

Nobody has even said that you should see the stupid film. Just that going "I'm not on a jury, I don't have to give people the benefit of the doubt" is a pretty harmful attitude to have.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 17, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty curious to hear more about ASM2. A friend of mine saw it and his opinion was "it's good if you're a comic fan looking for a comic book movie and really awful if you're looking for a well-made film."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Early release helps build hype from early impressions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So is there any particular reason Batman/Superman isn't just being titled The Justice League?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

I never understood the hostility that Cyborg got for being included on the JLA, particularly in a rebooted universe with no prior history.
The arguments always sounded like something HHH would say.

"Look Cyborg just can't work main event JLA style."

I think it's a problem because Cyborg is never actually meaningfully included, which is frustrating. I don't dislike Cyborg. I dislike the fact that Cyborg is being pushed into things because he is the closest thing DC has to a recognizable non-white/alien character and it's very clear none of the writers actually want to spend the time, energy or effort to do anything meaningful with the character.

It's really aggravating watching DC trot the character around to show they have a Black Friend Superhero while DC simultaneously makes it clear that if Cyborg wasn't on Teen Titans and thus wasn't recognizable he'd be in a dumpster because they sure don't actually want to put in the legwork to define him as something besides DC's Desperate Attempts At Diversity.

I find the Wonder Woman and Cyborg things really stupid because it really feels like DC is trying to earn the 'credit' for having diversity but is still pussyfooting around giving them an actual film. They want to go "we've got Wonder Woman" without going "... and she's getting a film!" The most optimistic possible reading of this is that Wonder Woman will get a film sometime after Batman/Superman. Which I'd say should be a given but that assumes a lot of things about the industry in 2017 (at the earliest!)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 25, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

e X posted:

Secret identities are generally more the exception than the rule in the MU. I can really only think of some street level heroes who still have them (Daredevil, Moonknight).

Yeah, but Matt Murdock tries really hard to do that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaizer88 posted:

Would Justice League work for generic cinema goers like the Avengers would? The Marvel heroes always seemed a lot more believable in power levels compared to the omnipotent gods of DC.

One of the Avengers is literally a God and another beat the poo poo out of a God like it was nothing. The sequel features a character with the power to literally rewrite reality on a whim and an indestructable super-cyborg and the one after that is going to feature a guy who kicks the poo poo out of Gods with little effort.

Meanwhile at least one of the members of the upcoming DC movie is defined as being the guy with literally no powers and another is a regular guy with some cyborg parts. I'm pretty sure the power levels are going to work out to the audience's expectations.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 29, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also he was incredibly pissed off because his best friend almost died.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Her being Blond seems to make her look a lot younger.

I really don't get why this is getting worse reviews than 3. 3 isn't very fun, and despite all the character and pacing issues, ASM2 is a lot of fun.

Most of the people I've talked to who have seen ASM2 have said it isn't particularly fun at all because it's so disjointed and awkward and hard to care about anything. I haven't seen it myself but that may be part of the reason for the poor reviews.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 5, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The real fact of the matter is this was not the movie to do Gwen's death. Electro was the main focus of this movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is literally no option he could make that would please people at first glance. The test will be if people are bitching about it after the movie comes out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

You missed option four: try and be original, but that's fair enough, Snyder probably missed it too judging by everything else he's ever made.

There are only so many designs you can do for a bat-themed car. No matter what it's going to resemble something that exists in Batman's history because Batman has had a whole loving lot of cars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Equeen posted:

That could work, but I rather we get a Wonder Woman movie and/or a Flash movie first.

Ha ha, you think they're going to actually make a big-budget superhero movie with a female lead instead of going 'but nobody liked Elektra! Time to make Ant-Man instead!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Equeen posted:

You got me there, but wasn't Gal Gadot contracted to do 3 movies, BvS being one of them?

Oh yeah. Aquaman movie, then? :shrug:

BvS and Justice League are 2 right there. The third is probably planned to be Justice League 2 because they wouldn't cast someone as Wonder Woman for her own movie without sequel considerations baked in. There are reports it is a Wonder Woman film but... why not assume sequels?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 13, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My biggest problem isn't Snyder, it is the obvious fact they're rushing to get Avengers Money. MoS2 really shouldn't also be the Batman Reboot and the Wonder Woman Introduction and all that. The way MoS ended really needed Superman to have time to develop his status quo and characters and whatever without Batman dropping in to be his rivalpal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

I wouldn't say they're rushing it. WB/DC have been pushing to get a Batman/Superman movie up and running for the longest time. And honestly, what's wrong with writing in Batman to be part of the continuation of Superman's narrative from Man of Steel? It's, at the very least, a different approach to what Marvel did. I really don't see how anyone could find it a big deal. Also, Wonder Woman and Cyborg/Victor Stone are going to be nothing more but cameos (this has been somewhat confirmed). I mean, yeah, it's obvious Man of Steel 2 is going to be the launching pad for Justice League, but is that really a problem?

Because "they've wanted to do it for a long time" isn't the same as "Avengers made roughly eleventy trillion dollars, get this poo poo out there now."

I don't believe they're going to continue Superman's narrative from Man of Steel and every bit of information about the film that comes out makes it less likely. They emphasized Dark Knight Returns as part of their inspiration both visually and in writing which is great for nerdbait but completely hilariously wrong for where Man of Steel was. Superman in TDKR was almost literally the opposite character from MoS in almost every way. Personally, thematically, visually and they're even at opposite ends of their career.

And it isn't different from what Marvel did. Iron Man 2 is basically what BvS is sounding like to me but with them banking even more on it 'working' so they can run right into their giant crossover supermovie and smash their toys together.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 14, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

What I'm saying is there's no "obvious fact" that WB/DC is rushing this crossover just to cash in on that sweet, sweet Avengers money. It could have been in their cards all along.

The thing you linked suggests literally the opposite. The concept of a Batman/Superman movie has been around for ages (it was in I Am Legend and had been talked about before that) but if you believe that interview it was a "that'd be fun someday" thing at that point, not something in the planning stages.

It doesn't have to be a straight-up adaptation to be a bad idea. The Dark Knight Returns is a really goddamn specific story. Unless you're taking "Superman and Batman fight!!" from it, you're going to be taking some pretty loaded imagery and concepts which really don't mesh with the start of a story.

teagone posted:

Marvel came out with The Incredible Hulk after Iron Man, which was a separate character film in their world building exercise. If WB/DC wanted to do the same thing, they would have released another standalone film for either Batman or Wonder Woman after Man of Steel instead of going straight to a Superman/Batman film that features a few cameos.

DC/WB want to do the same thing without actually taking the time to do it. That's part of the problem. We're getting Batman/Superman With Justice League Cameos followed directly by The Justice League. I find it nearly impossible to buy we're going to get a strong thematic balance between these films and not dudes smashing into each other.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 14, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

Am I the only one who's loving tired of diehard nolan batman fanboys insisting that anything that isn't grimdark is childish? They SERIOUSLY think the nolan films are highbrow entertainment? Disliking "The Popular Thing" doesn't make you a unique snowflake.

Christopher Nolan has amassed the most moronic fanbase I've ever seen

I donno. That sounds like comic fans as a whole more than just Nolan fans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh boy another cast member added to a bloated and unwieldy cast. That's great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

What did you expect them to not cast a villain?

Lex Luthor was already cast so no, that isn't what I expected.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would forgive everything dumb about Superman vs Batman if it was titled Superfriends.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There goes any interest I had in that film.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/7-Marvel-Projects-Shape-Studio-Future-43359-p8.html

So these are potential future Marvel films. Still no Ms Marvel or any solo female hero films. Strange that its mostly D list teams.

I guess Journey into Mystery could be a Sif focused series.

That just looks like a random poll to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Strange once had his girlfriend seduced by Ben Franklin so, y'know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

Rumor is Superman dies in Dawn of Justice.

And then revives in Justice League! Genius!

Actually, that'd justify having the crappier-than-Superman JL doing things before Superman's miraculous end-of-movie revival.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 3, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

God drat it Jor-El, I realize you're awed by Doomsday's lovely design but that's no reason to slouch.

I'm not familiar with Doomsday in the comics beyond a surface level, does he even speak? He strikes me as vaguely Bane-like in his role, but Bane was supposed to be really intelligent whereas Doomsday seems kind of Hulk-y.

He growls out guttural phrases in his first appearance. He's occasionally talked in other appearances but he's usually Evil Hulk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doomsday, like Bane, is inherently a villain who works less and less the more he is used. He wasn't a great villain to begin with but "unstoppable terrifying force of nature who pushes the hero to their limits and beyond" works like... once. Maybe twice, if the second time is the hero overcoming the challenge they overcame once before. After that challenge has been overcome they're just not interesting anymore unless you basically make them a different character. "He's the guy who killed Superman" doesn't have an impact after you saw him chumped by Batman with an axe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

The difference between them is that Bane's origin story is loving rad. You can remove venom from him, like Nolan did, and he can still functionally be the same character. Doomsday's origin is just a justification for him being able to kill Superman.

Doomsday literally didn't have an origin when he killed Superman. He was just a guy in a box.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

They're not going to loving kill Superman before a goddamn Justice League movie.

Why not? If they're treating it like a 'trilogy' then it's pretty straightforward to do so.

Superman dies at the end of DAWN v JUSTICE to set up that Holy poo poo This Is Bad, which prompts the Justice League film where Superman revives at the end. This not only allows you to have justification for the Justice League forming right away but lets you write Superman out of 70% of The Justice League so you don't have to justify why Superman isn't solving half the fights in the opening seconds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My biggest problem with BvS so far is that they just seem to have very little confidence in their franchises. Even if everything they've announced turns out to be a cameo, their focus is on "look who ELSE is in the film!!! Eventually we'll have enough people in here that you like it!"

Maybe it'll turn out to be good but they really are not giving me a ton of faith.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm reminded of that one commercial about Les Miserables that advertised it as an uplifting christmas film. The word "uplifting" was used!!!

Les Mis is arguably uplifting, especially from a religious aspect, where a man suffers in his attempt to do good but is eventually redeemed and justified and with the ending being a heavy implication that he has earned his place in heaven.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ASM1 ran into the problem of Peter Parker being the least likable and least sympathetic character in his own film. I'd much rather have seen Gwen Stacy get Spider-Powers and do poo poo, she was a way more interesting and sympathetic character. (And yes, I know about the upcoming crossover.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Garfield is a good actor working with a pretty crap script and it's a testament to his talent he salvages as much as he does. Peter Parker in the new films is a nerd but in a lot of the worst ways. He's kind of creepy, stalkery, self-centered, comes across as kind of a self-centered idiot, and at times borders on feeling like a bully. None of which is inappropriate but it makes him hard to sympathize with when he seems to have very little empathy for those around him. Even little things like stealing the dude's keycard and getting him thrown out just make it hard to really like the dude.

It also doesn't help that due to cut scenes or poor explanation he's just so bad at handling up-and-coming supervillains. Christ could the dude resolve half his problems if he'd fuckin' say something.

• Locked thread