Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I'd pay good money for a Reed/Victor college comedy. Maybe including their buddies Hank and Tony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I was never bif into X-en, so can somebody explain to me why Rogue kept only Ms. marvels powers permanently. Beyond the "it's cool" explanation you have for everything in comics.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Isn't the symbiont planet going to featured in GotG?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Are the rights for that with DC? Because if it is so, than its once again, DC missing the mark by a mile.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Oh man :(. And I wouldn't even pin this on Goyer, because in a post-Avengers environment people have certain expectations when it comes to a comic book adaptation. Sandman is a very different matter altogether, because it is a) an actual story instead of just a general concept that is adapted and b) people like superheroes, not comic books in general.

Superhero movies are basically perfect for summer blockbuster action movies due to their structure, but Sandman is basically more of an oscar bait kinda movie.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Movies do weird things to people. Nobody gave a poo poo about the Mandarin for years, or any Iron Man villain really, but people were mad they did portray him accurately?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I really hope Guardians will become the next The fifth Element in terms of creativity and general atmosphere.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, I find the presence of Strucker a lot weirder. Unless Hydra is actually in the movie, it would really be completely out of the left field.

Though it might feed in to the rumor that Robert Redford is the Red Skull.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

The MSJ posted:

That's why if Marvel is smart movie Hawkeye will be rewritten to be similar to Hawkguy. It isn't like Renner is incapable of it. He's good if the movie does not attempt to portray him as a stoic action hero type. I think his Bourne movie made that mistake too.

I have yet to read Hawkguy. How exactly does the comic work? Is it just him goofing around with Kate Bishop, or does it has some actual action?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You know, the post-avengers movies make The Avengers look kinda bad. Without the wow factor and compared to all these movies that don't have to be origin movies, it really doesn't have a lot going for it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

zoux posted:

So, in the "Special Thanks" section of the credits to TWC, they thank Brubaker, obviously, but also Bendis?

I think Bendis is some kind of consultant for the entire MCU.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

theflyingorc posted:

I love the grandiose language in Infinity Gauntlet.

Also beardie Thor.

edit: Actually, I find it really interesting when I read an older SUPER MEGA BIG EVENT Marvel story and there's a B-plot nobody cares about. During Infinity Gauntlet Thor isn't Thor, but is some other guy who has assumed the mantle or whatever. He goes on and on about how he isn't the real Thor and to a person reading now I just kept thinking "nobody cares, dude."

Comic universes are weird.

In a perfect world, all Marvel movies would come with Jim Starling's narration being read by Don Lafontain.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

twistedmentat posted:

Viper was in Wolverine, so would they still be able to just have her as Madam Hydra? Other than her outfit, nothing was similar at all between comics Viper and Wolverine Viper.

We are going to have to different versions of the same two characters in the next two major superhero movies.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Waterhaul posted:

Cap in Winter Solider is miles beyond Blonsky. Blonsky is hospitalized from getting kicked into a tree by the Hulk while Cap jumps out of multiple story buildings lands on the ground and shakes it off like it's nothing.

It's a thing in comics that they never actually managed to recreate the exact formula that turned Steve Rogers into Captain America, and that the stuff they did manage to create, always had some fatal flaw.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

The Question IRL posted:

As other's have pointed out that the damage Blonsky took was a bit different than anything Cap took. But the other point to remember is Blonsky was getting doses of a Super Soldier Serum derivative. (An attempt by Ross to keep him under control. He in fact says he's going to take him off the serum after he sees Blonsky start to go nuts.)

I interpreted it as Blonsky was put on a type of super steroid, as opposed to Cap's Genetic Engineering in a bottle.

-It's also something I really liked was the clash between the Hulk and Blonsky had another element to it.
Blonsky got his powers, initially, from a flawed replication of the Super Soldier Serum. While Bruce Banner got his powers from a flawed attempt at replicating the Vita-Ray chamber (Gamma Rays.)
Each attempt at making a super human only looked at half the equation and thus failed. It's only in Captain America, who had the right balance of the two sources, gets it all right.

Uh, that everything relates back to the super soldier serum is one of the most annyoing aspects of the Ultimate universe.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Wasn't Deadpool pre-Weapon X a normal mercenary?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Will they make Xavier bald eventually?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Barry Convex posted:

None of the previous X-films have grossed even $500m worldwide, so DOFP's reported $250m budget is actually a pretty big risk.

Wait, I thought the movie looked so cheap because of the limited budget, much like First Class. If the budget is decent, what is their excuse?

e X fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 12, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Waterhaul posted:

Their excuse is that a lot of it is CGI which is unfinished which is why there's a difference in tone in the trailers they've released so far.

I blame my phone.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So here is a timeline for DOFP http://www.25moments.com/#!/moments/2018.. Also the source for the pictures we saw earlier.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

theflyingorc posted:

Oh, is it implied that their powers come from the staff itself? I'll have to rewatch the ending scene.

It's not implied so much as outright stated. Strucker says that they have been running experiments on humans using the staff as some kind of conductor and those two are the only two survivors. So their power basically comes from the infinity stones, aka space magic.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume that Guardians will be them trying to find gem 4.

Maybe even more. If Thanos already had the mind gem stome, he might already had more. I think the round object Starlord tries to steal in the trailer is another one.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Also, everybody assumed Earth would be a zero risk endeavor.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Secret identities are generally more the exception than the rule in the MU. I can really only think of some street level heroes who still have them (Daredevil, Moonknight).

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
That sounds like he took one look at the project and ran in terror. What in Christ's name has Marvel done with this project?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Sion posted:

Sure.

But then you google Carol Danvers, do some reading on wikipedia, find out about Avengers 200 and realise that Marvel have been lovely to female heroes in the past in a big way and there's a fairly huge PR hit to the company once it becomes slightly more common knowledge that female supers tend to get shat on fairly frequently and in fairly horrible ways.

What? Do you honestly believe people would give a poo poo about a 34 year old story line? They don't even give a poo poo about the most recent events, there is absolutely no chance that this would lead to any media responds whatsoever.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
If we are perfectly honest, the current wave of 'comic book movies' have very little to do with the actual comics, they are simply another facade of Hollywood's current adaption of pop cultural icons with a preexisting fanbase phase. They are not adapting these properties due to the success of the comics, but because they are an already established property. And even if the general public knows noting about it, there are a million and one geek blogs and websites out there who are willing to promote it free of charge for you.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Probably because the rights they obtained only cover the stuff that was actually part of the IP at the time of the deal.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Crowetron posted:

Add Shuma-Gorath to the script and give the project to Cronenberg

Honestly, that isn't a bad idea. If you see Captain America as a WWII movie with superheroes (at least the first part) and Thor as a fantasy movie with superheroes, a horror movie with superheroes isn't a bad idea at all.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Just make the entire cast wrestlers. Dr. Strange, Muscle Wizard.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Given that Asgardians are apparently pretty well known throughout the galaxy and know about the all the other sentient species in the galaxy, I don't think their knowledge is limited to the realms of Yggdrasil.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
A Sandman movie in the current superhero movie style would be nothing short of terrible.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

prefect posted:

They need to make a Sandman movie in the Matrix style. That would do the trick.

If you just take the first volume, with Morpheus collecting his three artifacts, Sandman basically has zero action apart from the 'fight' against Dr. Destiny (whom a movie would actually need to introduce properly). If you would want to put it into movie terms, Sandman is basically a drama. Which means a lot of monologues, dialogs and Morpheus mopping around. That just wouldn't fly in a summer blockbuster.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm still holding out for Dwayne Johnson as John Stewart.

Why would you want an actor known for his impressive physique for one of the few hero that is primarily known for super strengh?

Also, fantasy casting in general are terrible. No one ever actually puts any thought into it or actually thinks about the actors acting ability, it's pretty much always "What recent movie star looks vaguely like the comic book original.

e X fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 12, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Shazam is definitely the hero that would first come to mind for amovie if we wouldn't live in the golden age of comic book adaptations. It's basically the perfect young adult adventure story and very easily marketable to kids.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

twistedmentat posted:

Its uproxx but they are saying that maybe the Spiderverse of movies won't be happening

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2014/06/the-amazing-spider-man-3-delayed/

Honestly, they should just sell the rights back to Marvel.

The article kind of points out why that probably wont happen though.

It's also really weird how no other studio seems to be able to pull this shared universe of well. I mean, yes Marvel took at risk when they tried it, but it's not like they did something unrepeatable. The only thing they really did was giving every hero his own movie before doing the big crossover one, but ironically, that is the one thing no one else tried so far. Everybody seems to want to rush into the bif movie without any of the preparatory work.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Ignite Memories posted:

I'm confused. Why does disney make money from sony making spider-man movies?

Because Sony only has the movie rights. Every single cent from merchandise goes to Disney/Marvel. And since merchandise is the real money maker with this stuff, Sony is basically making gratis toy commercials.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, I enjoy the parts were they are goofy a million times more than those were they try to press the badass angle.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
From the few comedic scenes we saw so far, I have a serious problem separating Peter and Andy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

greatn posted:

You don't like comedy? America likes comedy. You think you're better than America? Get him boys!

Did Amy Poeller killed your mom or something?

• Locked thread