Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Coming along nicely and looking good. I follow all these building threads and love seeing the progress.

It's really interesting seeing the difference in construction compared to Australia.

Good ideas for when we build- we are in Tasmania, so climate is cool (obviously no where near as cold)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

TheMightyHandful posted:

It's really interesting seeing the difference in construction compared to Australia.

Good ideas for when we build- we are in Tasmania, so climate is cool (obviously no where near as cold)
I'm just a layman High efficiency window and door installer that's read: Insulate & Weatherize (Taunton's Build Like a Pro) a few times and keeps up on underground, dome, straw bail, hempcrete etc.

From what I've heard about the homes there, or maybe it was New Zealand most, but they basically have no insulation.
Thicker, insulated walls would still have thermal mass to ease the transition between hot and cool climate cycles.

It's funny in my trade we put R 36 or something windows in and seal them 3 times; caulk inside, spray foam, caulk outside flashing, but if the wall is only R-3 or R-11 or something with holes in it and such, it's not going to make that big of a deal except for sound deadening.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Been getting a lot of work done, but it hardly shows. We're finally done with spackling and sanding, walls are primered and also properly finished where there won't be wall paper. It's really hard to show this however on photos, everything just looks white. Still waiting for the concrete plate to give up that last amount of moisture before we can start putting down the floors in the bathrooms.

Also got a delivery of our laminate flooring and wall tiles for the kitchen:

Other than that though I've been mostly at work cleaning up the yard, cut up all the logs in the smaller piles we have at the front of the yard:

That Stihl MS170 I got with the house has been extremely useful.

Anyway I got my new splitting maul:

And so far I got this:

I can't keep it for more than a few hours at a time because my back starts hurting, I don't have a decent enough block to split the wood on, stupid small trees. And I've been working pretty hard the last weeks, usually get up before 6 to feed the kids, then work during the day, then goto the house after work and maybe get home at 19-20, sometimes then I get to start making dinner too. Usually sound asleep by 21:00. I've been collecting a bunch of minor aches, scrapes and dings for a while and it's starting to build up.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Don't kill yourself trying to split all the wood at once. It's super tiring, and you'll just end up unhappy and maybe hurting yourself. Unless you're using a chainsaw, chopping wood has to be a lifestyle thing - something you go out and do regularly during spring and summer for 30-60 minutes per day before or after work. Think of it as productive exercise. You wouldn't go out and try to do a season's worth of running all at once.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
This crazy looking axe might be exactly what you need.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I actually enjoy splitting wood, only reason I quit is because I start hurting (pulled something in my back a few weeks ago, still a bit sore so I gotta be careful) and IMO the gränsfors splitting maul is superior to the vippukirves anyway. Looking on youtube you'll see people split as fast with a gränsfors as that one, and it won't have that weird feel as the shaft twists in your hands on impact. I haven't actually used one so I am biased, I just prefer the traditional over modern stuff.

So in this Sweden wins over Finland :) And as I said that a thousand persu voters screamed "Remember the Ala- 1995/2011 hockey cup world finals!"

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 1, 2014

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

No big updates yet, just done spring cleaning on the yard. Used to be a huge mountain of crap under a tarp behind the house. I've spent the last few days sorting the good wood that I can use for stuff like woodworking and the stuff that's only fit for firewood. Part of the reason is we're getting 40-50 cubic meters of soil next week and we need to clear the yard so the truck can dump the soil.

Finally having a nice spring day:

Love how clear the back yard is now:

Here's all the crap that's only fit for firewood:

And here's the stuff suitable for lumber and woodworking:

The darker planks aren't actually surplus but for the frame of the terrace.

The ground is clay and now that the water has evaporated it's rock solid. Will make a good foundation we're told once we got a layer of topsoil above it:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is looking like you might have a good idea as to a move in day. Do you?

Looks great. You're really moving along.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Kaal posted:

Don't kill yourself trying to split all the wood at once. It's super tiring, and you'll just end up unhappy and maybe hurting yourself. Unless you're using a chainsaw, chopping wood has to be a lifestyle thing - something you go out and do regularly during spring and summer for 30-60 minutes per day before or after work. Think of it as productive exercise. You wouldn't go out and try to do a season's worth of running all at once.

If you can't chop wood for at least a couple of hours at a time I don't know what to tell ya, city boy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Motronic posted:

This is looking like you might have a good idea as to a move in day. Do you?

Looks great. You're really moving along.

Nah it's standing still inside, dehumidifier is running and we're down under 85% moisture in the bathrooms and laundry room so the tile guy will come on monday and put down the moisture barrier there, after he's done with the klinker floors then things should start to move, the MDF panelling for the roof will come up and the sauna will be assembled and then whatever comes next. Laminate flooring and wallpapering probably.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Where do you get the wood to split? Are you allowed to go into the woods and just chop down trees at will or do you buy the logs and then split them?

Also, does soil in Finland always look like that? I know you're a construction site but the whole thing looks sandy, rocky and utterly infertile.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Lord Windy posted:

Where do you get the wood to split? Are you allowed to go into the woods and just chop down trees at will or do you buy the logs and then split them?

We cut down all the trees that used to be here. This was a patch of forest until we got here. Definitely not allowed to chop down trees that aren't yours.

quote:

Also, does soil in Finland always look like that? I know you're a construction site but the whole thing looks sandy, rocky and utterly infertile.

It's not soil, it's clay and other stuff, it's just filling material and lots of it, because we're in a hill and we want an even yard. We're gonna put a layer of topsoil over this and sow grass.

But the soil in finland is incredibly rocky. You look around in nature and there are rocks of all sizes everywhere, dig and you will hit rocks, guaranteed. It's an echo of the last ice age that ground down our mountains and then as the ice moved across the land it deposited rocks and boulders all over the place.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Lord Windy posted:

Oh man, I should take a picture of my as-yet unlandscaped backyard here in AZ.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

The-Mole posted:

If you can't chop wood for at least a couple of hours at a time I don't know what to tell ya, city boy.

Go ahead and do that if you want, but you'll just burn out on it after a while. Chopping up a couple logs for an evening fireplace is one thing, but it's a whole different beast to be reliant on wood heating.

jason87x
May 11, 2013
Why did you clear the entire lot of trees? If I lived in a place as awesome and forested as Finland, I would want to keep as much of my land as possible as trees, though I would clear some of the brush below in order to chill out in the shade.

Also, why no basement? Is Finland so far north that permafrost becomes a serious issue, or is this just a personal preference? I come from a fairly cold climate (~4 foot frost line) and every house has a basement, often the walkout type on a slope so you can have large windows and such for part of it.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

jason87x posted:

Why did you clear the entire lot of trees? If I lived in a place as awesome and forested as Finland, I would want to keep as much of my land as possible as trees, though I would clear some of the brush below in order to chill out in the shade.

Also, why no basement? Is Finland so far north that permafrost becomes a serious issue, or is this just a personal preference? I come from a fairly cold climate (~4 foot frost line) and every house has a basement, often the walkout type on a slope so you can have large windows and such for part of it.

Clearing trees makes construction a lot easier and shade isn't a thing you want this far north, you try to maximize natural light and it often comes at very low angles.
The house is most likely on solid rock with a tiny layer of biomass on top. Digging another +2 meters would be massively expensive in most parts of Finland.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

jason87x posted:

I guess I did say we cut down all the trees but I meant all the trees that became firewood we cut down ourselves.

The yard is far from cleared if you look at the pictures I've posted. I think it would be dumb and ugly to cut down all the trees. They protect against the wind and effects of wind chill in winter and they make sure your lot isn't too open to everyone walking or driving by. And trees are just generally are nice to be around.

I know one person who did that while there was lots of trees around her yard, the the area started developing and her neighbors did the same, eventually there where hardly any trees and the whole area looks clean cut and horrible and was very windy and they started planting trees to undo the damage they did, enjoy those 2-3 decades without proper trees, in a decade the trees we left behind will be massive and beautiful.

This is why you keep trees around, and you keep them on your property because you don't have any say about them otherwise. It's not smart to count on the trees on nearby land you don't own to remain.

quote:

I don't see a use for a basement, the foundation design is solid and effective at retaining heat in the winter and wouldn't work if you made a basement. It would also cost more and we're on solid bedrock so it would be a lot of dynamite required which is also $$$, or €€€.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

The thing with keeping pine trees around is that it can be hard to maintain a nice-looking lawn. You have to deal with pinecones and needles and the trees just suck in all the moisture and the grass will look sad and yellow near the trees. At least that's how it was in Oulu (further up north from where HDS is). At his current house in Oulu my dad decided to keep all the pines and not have a lawn at all. So they just have pines, rocks and plants that naturally grow in a pine forest.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've noticed it some places but I've seen many more places with pine trees without that problem. Pine cones are annoying though, but so are leaves. I'd rather deal with them than be tree-less though. It's just kinda sad to be without trees, rather be without grass.

The back of the house is almost completely cleared though, we only kept the trees in a buffer zone around the yard there, so it will be a big flat lawn. Probably make an area with outdoor tiles as an extension to the terrace too for keeping my smoker and grill and other stuff on.

The front where we keep a lot of trees will be more involved with stone walls and other things we haven't decided on yet. And both southern corners are going to be left natural.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Initial loads of topsoil arrived today, turns out the guy we're buying from has a lot more than he thought he would so we might we all we want, we're starting with 100 cubic meters though.

Klinkers are also being installed quite rapidly by the tile guy:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Really jelly about your shower. Wish more houses around here had a drain in the boots room, a few do but it would really save a mess.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Small update, the clinker tiles around the fireplace has been set down, I am quite happy with how it turned out as I designed the pattern:

And the kitchen floor too:

Still need to fill up all the joints but things are moving fast.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
How's the insulation in the foor and ceiling? Got any detail drawings by any chance? :)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I have drawings of the foundation and stuff here, it shows the insulation inside and outside the foundation (the diagonal lines)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575175&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post420604668

The ceiling has 500mm or about half a yard of insulation, it's this type of insulation that they just blow in with a big hose and it covers everything in the attic space.

The concrete floor plate lies suspended in the concrete foundation and has insulation below and from the sides, so it's sort of floating inside the foundation. The drawing also shows the external insulation that goes underground about a yard or more outside the foundation. It prevents the cold from getting into the foundation and also prevents ground freeze & thawing issues (= ground heave). Drainage and digging away the old earth and casting the foundation on a layer of gravel(to break capillary action) is also important in preventing that. Ground heave is pretty serious business here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh yeah we also started painting the house, got Tikkurila Ultra Classic, finnish brand, same as my parents have on their house. It's 15 years old and still looks brand new so I feel safe with that choice.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

loving gorgeous! That tiling is pretty great too.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Hey OP, you may want to be careful about burning the wood used in a transportation pallet.

If its been treated with chemicals you don't want to burn it, if chemicals have been spilled on it you also don't want to burn it.

If you don't know what it is, I'd be very hesitant to stick it into a wood burning stove or a fire place.

But in good news your house looks amazing.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Pallets are usually made of cheapest wood possible because they're not supposed to last long anyway, so them being purposefully treated is pretty big if.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I would probably just use them to keep stuff on, or maybe use the material in carpentry.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
I would be itching if this were my house. You're 9 months from OP and working your rear end off. Beautiful house on a gorgeous piece of land. Maybe your next investment should be a few acres behind the house for a pond!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm afraid there's no land available behind the house than what we already own. Our property goes into the line of trees for a little bit then it's county land and a small playground. So our kids will have a playground about 100 yards behind the house.

The yard is plenty big enough though, ~2350 m2 or .6 acres

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Been very busy painting the last few weeks so no updates. It goes slowly, I paint a few hours every day after work, then I try and spend the whole day there during weekends, though we've had several weekends booked with other stuff so I haven't been able to spend every day painting.

I guess I am 3/4 or more done now, doing all the trim that's supposed to be white, takes a long time due to all the masking tape required, probably gone through 10 rolls so far.

Also been putting up wallpapers.

Kitchen:

David's room with green moomins:

Blue for Daniel:

Nothing in the living room, but you can see the ceiling has been installed, MDF panelling:

We also got the sauna almost done but I forgot to upload pics.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Kitchen cabinets and stuff have been put up:

Almost done painting

Difficult to paint with the weather we had on sunday, switched from sun to downpour several times:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
As a military spouse, I am positively green with envy. We've been lucky enough to live in decently nice apartments/housing, but nothing beats what you're posting.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I was totally on board with this until that wallpaper. I have scraped enough wallpaper to last a thousand lifetimes, never will I put that up.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Are you against wallpaper in general or just the specific pattern we chose?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Are you against wallpaper in general or just the specific pattern we chose?

I was actually wondering about the wallpaper myself. What was your reasoning for going with wallpaper over paint? Is it a Finnish thing? Over here in America, wallpaper has generally fallen out of favor, I think. I work at Home Depot, and most similar stores don't even carry wallpaper anymore because we just don't sell enough of it to justify taking up the space to sell it.

I agree though, gently caress wallpaper. Most of it isn't good looking, and it's a pain in the rear end to out up and remove. When I saw your original post with the wallpaper, I made a little vomit sound.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nope not the same views here. Wallpaper + painted combo is popular and what we're doing.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

10 Beers posted:

I agree though, gently caress wallpaper. Most of it isn't good looking, and it's a pain in the rear end to out up and remove. When I saw your original post with the wallpaper, I made a little vomit sound.

Here we did two walls with a picture wallpaper. It's less than half the thickness of normal wallpaper and comes in 8 pieces for a 3*3m wall. If you apply the paste to the wall like most modern wallpapers it will start to create waves, if you apply paste to the wallpaper it tends to curl very easily. Then when you put it on the wall one side will be 1-2cm longer than the other from expansion.

We asked these professional guys if they've put that kind of stuff on walls and they said that they have and neither should you.

Midway through installation

Don't ask why it has 2 towers when the picture is from 2013. Looks really really good though.

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
:911:

• Locked thread