Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Hegav posted:

Did anyone ever create a perfect tactic for FM13?

Yes my tactic was perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

SirFozzie posted:

Looks like someone's found a way to generate nearly infinite money (1 Billion in one test) for teams in nations that have the ability to sell % of players to agents.. looks like it's going to be fixed in release so abuse it now while you can...

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/364760-MONEY-HACK-issue-thas-has-to-be-adressed-in-order-to-save-the-integrity-of-the-game.

I can't comprehend what this guy is saying at all.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Frankston posted:

I can't comprehend what this guy is saying at all.
It took me a while but basically you can buy guys and then instantly sell 80% of their rights to an agent for considerably more than you paid for them, also since you can pay in installments for a transfer while you get the agent fee instantly (and into your budget) you can quickly rack up a huge budget.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lost away to Sunderland, 21pts in 19 games (but still in every cup and won my europa league group with Schale & Lazio) so I quit in disgust. Team's playing like poo poo so I'm gonna manage some shite club somewhere and create a wonder tactic.

Years from now I will return from the wilderness a prophet of the total football gods.

edit: Poyet took the job, played an 18 year old debutant keeper in the cap one cup final.

Lost.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 20, 2013

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Chris de Sperg posted:

It took me a while but basically you can buy guys and then instantly sell 80% of their rights to an agent for considerably more than you paid for them, also since you can pay in installments for a transfer while you get the agent fee instantly (and into your budget) you can quickly rack up a huge budget.

Thanks, that was much easier to parse than that guy's HIGHLY UNBALANCED AND UNCALIBRATED mega-post.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

I will never get tired of building a solid team mostly from free transfers after winning a promotion.

Vastakaiun fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 20, 2013

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Frankston posted:

This game is weird. The tactic has my team playing great, regular 8 and mid-to-high 7 ratings every game for 90% of the team yet I still end up losing repeatedly. About to be relegated for the 2nd time in 2 attempts.

Here's a link to the .tac file that my friend came up with, had a bunch of tweaks.. working really well for me right now, not giving up a goal in the last 400 minutes or so.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8eszbxf5c8isa1v

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I'll have to have a look at that tonight. I'm doing okay attacking, but suck defensively. I'm still within a point or two of top in mid november with Arsenal, so pretty much performing to par, but I need to see how a decent defense works this version so I can adapt my tactics.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Haven't played that much, I've only been through a few matches with different teams (Arsenal, BVB, Milan, Monaco) but I'm experiencing the same. I always managed to create solid defences in the previous games but I'm being constantly overrun in this one. They might have tweaked the match engine so the 4-3-3 with an anchor man isn't as solid defensively as before, but it's annoying that a lot of the chances and goals against comes as a result of my defenders just standing still not reacting to passes and movement around them. But it's still just a "beta" and they're fixing stuff for the release day patch so I think I'm just going to wait until thats out before starting a proper game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My defence didn't get any better with a proper system (two banks of 4, anchored midfield 3) than when I had Leon Britton running the whole midfield on his own. In fact with the latter my possession stats were much better.

Despite my poor run with Swansea I'm not convinced my stupid
code:
     GK
FB CB  CB FB

WM   DP   WM
   AM  EN
     CF
doesn't work, I just had the wrong personnel for it (and my instructions were bad).

Managing Teplice in the Czech Rep now. Got nine games of a 30 game season to secure mid-table-ish. Already sold my best player for £1.2m and brought in 2 americans, 2 UAEs and a Brazilian on frees. And got a 5-star potential (1-star current) 14 year old 6'4 target man in youth intake.

Time for murderball.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

In your mind, draw a square which has your CBs and and your AMs as the corners. That's the space you're expecting one CM to patrol. 4-3-2-1 is really hard to make work for that reason.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

St Evan Echoes posted:

In your mind, draw a square which has your CBs and and your AMs as the corners. That's the space you're expecting one CM to patrol. 4-3-2-1 is really hard to make work for that reason.

The wide midfielders were set to play as narrow as possible, and the AM did an okay job of marking runners.

I was trying to do something deliberately different from last year's game, where I'd often have my fullbacks drawn out and doubled up on because AMR/Ls don't track back nearly far or often enough. Ironically I would still concede from wide play because opposing wingers could more easily pick out a free man in the centre.

Defense wasn't what was killing my team, though. 60+% possession every game but my attackers couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from more than 12 yards, apart from Vazquez who had a decent record.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I don't have 14 yet but I assume I'll do the same thing I've done the past two games when I get it and create a brutally attacking 442 where the fullbacks and wingers attack constantly and one of the CMs is tasked with defending everything that comes our way and I won't compromise if they fail it's not my fault they just didn't try hard enough

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

SirFozzie posted:

Here's a link to the .tac file that my friend came up with, had a bunch of tweaks.. working really well for me right now, not giving up a goal in the last 400 minutes or so.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8eszbxf5c8isa1v

Looking good so far. Just conceded our first goal of the season in our 7th game, including a 1-0 over Man Utd.

Edit: Finally suffered our first defeat of the season in December. 1-2 against Man City away with an exhausted squad and players playing out of position thanks to a ton of injuries.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 21, 2013

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Anecdotal evidence but that tactic just destroyed in the one game I used it AND Jonjo Shelvey died (torn hamstring poor bugger). Fantastic work.

edit: Bony is a monster at false nine. He still can't actually score but god help the woodwork, it's in for a battering.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 21, 2013

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I played a very similar formation to that in FM2013. I used slightly pushed up defensive wingers rather than attacking wing backs though, more like a 3-5-2 with a defensive mid.

Hoping it still works in FM2014 because so far I've been on the verge of the sack 3 times before christmas in the Blue Square North.

Big looping crosses seem tremendously effective against all my times

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
So it looks like free kicks still suck and barely any goals come from them. Anyone else having the same experience?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I'm alternating the Juve tactic above with a 4-1-3-2 control/fluid (not much change from a 4-4-2 with a DMC instead of one of the MC). On the Dortmund run, we're scoring a ton of goals (Lewandowski actually had five in a game). Lose the possession battles a lot, but that may be cause we're just attacking recklessly instead of holding it. If I'm playing a team that is having the majority of chances, I change to counter/balanced/retain possession

Instruction Thoughts: Play out of defense is a must call, it stops those random boot upfields that get turned around into another attack quickly. A push higher up seems to help when you have the advantage, it starts things higher up field and seems to do more pressing to turn defense into attack quickly. Play into space seems to be not so useful

edit: Update from the creator:

Changed it to Fluid and ticked the "shorter passing" instruction in order to attempt to decrease longer shots and increase passing to strikers in better scoring positions (i was noting way too many long shots for my tastes).

Striker roles can be adjusted to suit your players' strengths, as long as you have 1 playing a false 9/deep-lying forward and one more up-front I have found it works equally well. I've played with DLF and Advanced Forward several times with backups, or even with Complete Forwards.

In fact - in the uploaded version I think you'll find one False 9 and the other as an Advanced Forward, where usually I play with a Target Man/False 9 combo.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 21, 2013

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bea Nanner posted:

So it looks like free kicks still suck and barely any goals come from them. Anyone else having the same experience?

Leon Britton scored one for me (is there anything he can't do?) but De Guzman is as bad as he was in 13.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Trip report for that tactic:

Finished 8th with Aston Villa which considering I couldn't stop getting relegated before is pretty drat good. We were challenging for 1st place up till around Christmas time when Benteke decided he wanted to leave for a bigger club and got pissy when I said no, and this happened:

From 2nd to 9th, we never recovered.

As soon as his morale went back to normal we immediately thrashed Newcastle 4-0, beat Chelsea 1-0, and drew away with Liverpool and Arsenal. If not for that rather large blip I think we would have made top 4.

Edit: Guzan got the most clean sheets, Guzan and Lowton were in the team of the year and Luna won young player of the year.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 21, 2013

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Hats off for not savescumming that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You should have tried some wildly different tactic around the Soton/Huddersfield games to try to catch the AI out.

That or new contracts & bonuses time.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

sassassin posted:

Leon Britton scored one for me (is there anything he can't do?) but De Guzman is as bad as he was in 13.

I've gotten a couple, but it's just not realistic. I think they can only really be scored parallel with uprights and about 5 yards behind the penalty area. The trajectory is hosed up that it's highly improbable to get one anywhere else. I do get a fair amount of close calls, so maybe they are working on it, but it's just not quite right. Also, only the best players seem capable of scoring them. I'd love to see lovely teams rely on an aging free-kick merchant, but it's not a valid strategy.

I guess part of it is that people playing the game don't like being scored on by free kicks, so that probably complicates things as well.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Here's the 4-1-3-2 I mentioned if folks want to test it:

http://www.mediafire.com/?t9u3drs78qeqp6q

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Still waiting for the version where they leave the interface alone and just fully focus on fixing bugs and polishing the match engine.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Hegav posted:

Still waiting for the version where they leave the interface alone and just fully focus on fixing bugs and polishing the match engine.

Football Manager: Miles Jacobson's Cold, Dead Grave Edition

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
At the risk of getting whiny I feel like the interface in FM 2013 was perfect. I've dumped about 11 hours in FM 2014 and so far I still actively despise everything about this new UI.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wirth1000 posted:

At the risk of getting whiny I feel like the interface in FM 2013 was perfect. I've dumped about 11 hours in FM 2014 and so far I still actively despise everything about this new UI.

I like it, except for having to click an extra button to navigate to the match prep screen.

That summary page is loving pointless.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Have they modeled attempts to evade FFP as well as FFP itself? My board announced a £7 million 1 year "General Sponsorship" deal at the same time as their £5 million investment into the club, which seems a bit on the high side for Watford. Conveniently turned a huge expected breach of FFP into expected compliance though.

e: There should be a Park the Bus instruction

distortion park fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 22, 2013

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

pointsofdata posted:

e: There should be a Park the Bus instruction

edit: 113th minute winner jesus playing 5-3-2 against another 5-3-2 isn't a good idea.

They almost had me

sassassin fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 22, 2013

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Bea Nanner posted:

I've gotten a couple, but it's just not realistic. I think they can only really be scored parallel with uprights and about 5 yards behind the penalty area. The trajectory is hosed up that it's highly improbable to get one anywhere else. I do get a fair amount of close calls, so maybe they are working on it, but it's just not quite right. Also, only the best players seem capable of scoring them. I'd love to see lovely teams rely on an aging free-kick merchant, but it's not a valid strategy.

I guess part of it is that people playing the game don't like being scored on by free kicks, so that probably complicates things as well.

I had some success after reading that the most important stat for free kicks isn't Free Kicks, but Technique. Someone explained that while Free Kicks was the ability to put a shot on goal, Technique defined how the player actually struck the ball. I had a couple players in FM13 with great Technique and mediocre Free Kicks bang in 5+ a season each.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

New patch is out for the beta, no changelog because they claim at least 600 bug fixes. Backroom advice screen no longer takes like half a minute to load at least.

bnrelated
Nov 1, 2012
how does this run?

fm 13 ran absolutely horribly for me on my MBA (very terrible in OSX, mildly terrible in bootcamp partition—but I'm not going to bootcamp just to idle fm in the background lol), which was odd/disappointing/frustrating because every single previous version ran really smoothly for me.

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009
They changed Lewandowski having a signed agreement to join Bayern (as it's just a rumour at this stage). Now he is leaving but anyone can snap him up, will only take effect on new games though.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

bnrelated posted:

how does this run?

fm 13 ran absolutely horribly for me on my MBA (very terrible in OSX, mildly terrible in bootcamp partition—but I'm not going to bootcamp just to idle fm in the background lol), which was odd/disappointing/frustrating because every single previous version ran really smoothly for me.

Really depends on the size of your database.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In my experience the match engine has been fine the past few years, except when I lose. Then I just assume it is horribly broken.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Has anyone had success with the new roles yet? So far they all seem like worse versions of the old ones.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

sassassin posted:

Has anyone had success with the new roles yet? So far they all seem like worse versions of the old ones.

I used a bad striker as a "false nine" in a generally good Conference North team and it worked like a charm. I can see using that and the fullback roles but the roles for attacking players all seem pretty superfluous.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I just got fired after a horrific post christmas slump. Went from winning 6 matches in a row with maybe two losses in the first half of the season to a series of loses and 1-1 draws. Was still 7th in the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bow chicka wow wow posted:

I used a bad striker as a "false nine" in a generally good Conference North team and it worked like a charm. I can see using that and the fullback roles but the roles for attacking players all seem pretty superfluous.

Did you use it as a lone false 9?

With a strike partner it plays no different from a dlf-s from what I've seen so far.

• Locked thread