Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subyng
May 4, 2013

tk posted:

I've only ever seen the one that I have, but it's quite snug.

I have to push it in quite hard for it to stay and actually have power going through it and then it isn't straight. I guess I'll be going back to the Microsoft store tomorrow.

e: turns out I just needed to push it in really really hard

I'm trying to partition the hard drive but Disk Manager will only let me free up 1.6 GB from C? What's up with that?

Subyng fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Subyng posted:

I have to push it in quite hard for it to stay and actually have power going through it and then it isn't straight. I guess I'll be going back to the Microsoft store tomorrow.

e: turns out I just needed to push it in really really hard

I'm trying to partition the hard drive but Disk Manager will only let me free up 1.6 GB from C? What's up with that?

If your SP3 power cable is loose in any way something is wrong but yes, if we're talking about the part that connects to the actual power brick then you do need to use some force, that's not unusual in my experience.

The connection to the actual Surface is miles better than the first two.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there a IM app anyone would recommend for my new surface Pro! Preferably one with a good snap view that works with multle protocols.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there a IM app anyone would recommend for my new surface Pro! Preferably one with a good snap view that works with multle protocols.

IM+ gets good reviews and is also pretty much the only game in town for that.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Groupon has a deal for a Microsoft Surface Pro 128GB (Manufacturer Refurbished) for $419.

Not a bad price for someone looking for a decent condition SP1.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Just in case anyone else had the idea, Minecraft pocket does not run acceptably using AMI Duos.
I tried the new 32bit version and it was too slow to be playable.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
What's the general consensus on say an ASUS T200 versus an older Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2? I'm looking for a sub $600 (in Canada though) tablet/hybrid that can do Microsoft Office, web browsing and note taking using OneNote and a good pen.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

swagger like us posted:

What's the general consensus on say an ASUS T200 versus an older Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2? I'm looking for a sub $600 (in Canada though) tablet/hybrid that can do Microsoft Office, web browsing and note taking using OneNote and a good pen.

The T200 dies not meet your pen requirement, unfortunately. It will run cheaper, though, and I have used OneNote with keyboard on my T100 to reasonable success.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am interested in a windows tablet to replace my ancient ipad 1st gen.
I just read SA, watch YT and read comics on it. The ipad is currently struggling with gifs or pictures that are too large.
Im looking for at least 64gb of storage. Expandable storage through micro sd would be a plus, but it seems to be a feature in just about every windows tablet so thats great.

I see that the original surface RT is very cheap right now. Even though the OP says to stay away from RT will it be an issue for my uses? I was also considering a surface pro but paying $200 extra for pen functionality that I dont need seems wasteful. That's unless I actually need that extra power which is why im asking here.

I dont mind looking at the other brands, but they dont seem to enjoy the rock bottom pricing that the 1st gen surface does. I handled several different brands at a best buy and i wasnt pleased with how plasticky they felt.

Should I just wait for black friday? The original surfaces are old enough that I doubt any big box stores are still holding any stock to discount so waiting would be pointless

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 22, 2014

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

if you're looking to replace an iPad and plan to use mostly tablety things I would say stay away from the surface pro 1. the size and weight, combined with not even having the battery life gains of the sp2 should make it a non starter. I still love my sp2 and use it mostly as a tablet, but I get 8 or more hours out of it, instead of like 4. Surface 2(rt) while I actually like the feel and size and speed, doesn't even get the key win tablet benefit of running legacy software. If you don't think you can justify a sp3, you may want to look at some of the baytrail dedicated tablets, like the dell venue 11, thinkpad 10, etc.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just how bad of battery life are we talking? Can I watch 4 hours of YouTube videos on it?

I'm looking to spend less than 500, and that surface pro refurb posted earlier seems hit all the key points I was looking for. Is the 1st or 2nd gen surface rt going to feel anemic for the tasks I described?

Do any of those you recommended hit that same price point?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 22, 2014

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

Just how bad of battery life are we talking? Can I watch 4 hours of YouTube videos on it?

I'm looking to spend less than 500, and that surface pro refurb posted earlier seems hit all the key points I was looking for. Is the 1st or 2nd gen surface rt going to feel anemic for the tasks I described?

You'll probably get roughly 4 hours of youtube on a SP1, but barely.

Baytrail's undoubtedly the way to go. If you want to go small, the Dell Venue Pro 8 is perfect for your usage. If you want to go bigger, the Dell Venue Pro 11.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
It should go without saying but: All this is just my opinion, based on being an SP2 and now SP3 owner and having had a few weeks experience with a Nokia RT tablet:

You don't want an RT, particularly coming from an iPad. The software ecosystem with Windows continues to be terrible and with RT you are locked in to it. You'll read articles around the web from Microsoft shills (like Thurrott) that it doesn't matter because the Windows Store is "better" now, that the store now has all the "major" apps the other platforms do, etc, but this is bullshit. Also that statement usually is said more about Windows Phone which has a completely different store from Windows tablets.

Even assuming your definition of "major apps" fits someone elses, apps like Flipboard, Facebook, Twitter, etc. are generally subpar - at best - to the ones on other platforms and the proportion of poo poo, junk apps and poor Chinese knockoffs of popular apps on the Windows store is far higher than on other stores. The Windows store for tablets has definitely *improved* in the last year but that in no way equals parity with Google, Amazon, or Apple.

About all you get with RT that's really decent is Office and a half-decent touch browser (which you are also stuck with). Don't buy a lovely RT tablet.

You also don't want an SP1. Heavy, bulky, with terrible battery life and a crappy one-angle stand. There are many other minor annoyances (like the power connector) that add up to a frustrating experience that were corrected in later models.

The SP2 was the first "ok" Pro and the SP3 is the first one actually worth buying. There are a few special cases out there (normally users who do a lot of note taking on flat surfaces) who like the Wacom digitizer the SP1 comes with and I won't begrudge them that but if writing on the thing is not your primary use case look elsewhere.

I also agree you should be looking at one of the newer Baytrail tablets, keeping in mind that there are minor compromises with all of them at the price point you are looking at. The tablet you really want is the SP3, which has a fantastic screen, is thin and light despite it's size, has laptop performance, great battery life and a perfectly good pen system in spite of not being Wacom. They also fixed a lot of the small annoying poo poo from earlier Surface Pros on it. Unfortunately it's way out of your price range.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 22, 2014

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The Surface RT is clearly meant as an enterprise device where a locked-down-by-default ecosystem is desirable and you'll only be running company designed/approved software on it. It's a great little device for say, medical or healthcare scenarios, but terrible for personal use. Don't get a Surface RT unless you have a hard-on for developing your own apps.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

isndl posted:

The Surface RT is clearly meant as an enterprise device where a locked-down-by-default ecosystem is desirable and you'll only be running company designed/approved software on it.

Except for the fact that, you know, it's utterly and completely useless in that respect because it can't join a domain.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

bull3964 posted:

Except for the fact that, you know, it's utterly and completely useless in that respect because it can't join a domain.

Like the rest of the early Surfaces, the end result was a little half-baked. :shrug:

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

I bought a bay trail tablet thinking I would use a bunch of legacy software but I've essentially been able to stay in metro mode all the time. I just use my windows tablet for youtube (prime tube app), Facebook (the app is good), ebooks (nook/kindle), and surfing the Web. Internet Explorer for metro has flash support and is a better touch friendly browser than I've used on an Android tablet. The SA app is pretty good as is the reddit app as well.

Really depends on if you need specialized apps. The surface 2 or Nokia 2520 are pretty cheap, especially if refurbished or used.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'd venture to say that for a non-pen-user, touch IE is the main reason to get a Windows tablet. Touch Chrome and touch Safari are bastardized desktop browsers, and you'd really think Apple and Google would have fixed that by now.

(SP2/3 are also better form-factors than a laptop IMHO and are good for combining those use cases into one device but I understand this is not a valid statement for most people)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really don't get where touch IE is so much better than the touch version of any of the other browsers. I mean, it works well enough and I have no problems using it, but I don't really see any advantages either. They all seem to work equally well.

I guess I would also use it more often if they didn't completely lock it out if you have another browser defined as your default browser. I'm not really sure what the source of that decision was, but it's pretty dumb.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like Dell is adding a shittier version of the Venue 8 Pro (the 3000 line, with less RAM and crappier wifi) and rebranding the current version as the 5000?

http://www.dell.com/us/eep/p/dell-venue-8-pro-3845-tablet/pd?oc=ftdab02&model_id=dell-venue-8-pro-3845-tablet

http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd?oc=fncwv8p01h&model_id=dell-venue-8-pro

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 22, 2014

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
Hey guys, I'm thinking I'm in the market for a new tablet and really the only thing I like are Asus' transformer tablets because of the dock and solid hinge that makes it like a real netbook (got to be able to rest it on my belly and adjust it to my liking!). I've read a lot about waiting for Broadwell tablets and the like if it's not urgent but it seems like this are going to be geared towards real productivity oriented devices that will command a $ premium.
On the other hand I see a lot of happy reviews about Asus' T100 Transformer Book, and it has the atom Z3 chip which yall don't have bad things to say about. And it's the same exact formfactor and keyboard layout as my old Android Transformer.

I don't do anything productive at all on tablets. 99% of the time is spent web surfing and reading SA. If I need anything intense I splashtop into my desktop. Sometimes I'll splashtop in to play Crusader Kings or something from my desktop. Would be cool if I could play directly from the tablet or any other slow games that my 10 year old Core2Duo desktop can handle, but not necessary.

One question that makes me hesitate though is will these tablets be upgradable to windows 10 when it's released or do we not know anything about that yet?

I'm a total Microsoft tablet noob

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

SeaWolf posted:

Hey guys, I'm thinking I'm in the market for a new tablet and really the only thing I like are Asus' transformer tablets because of the dock and solid hinge that makes it like a real netbook (got to be able to rest it on my belly and adjust it to my liking!). I've read a lot about waiting for Broadwell tablets and the like if it's not urgent but it seems like this are going to be geared towards real productivity oriented devices that will command a $ premium.
On the other hand I see a lot of happy reviews about Asus' T100 Transformer Book, and it has the atom Z3 chip which yall don't have bad things to say about. And it's the same exact formfactor and keyboard layout as my old Android Transformer.

I don't do anything productive at all on tablets. 99% of the time is spent web surfing and reading SA. If I need anything intense I splashtop into my desktop. Sometimes I'll splashtop in to play Crusader Kings or something from my desktop. Would be cool if I could play directly from the tablet or any other slow games that my 10 year old Core2Duo desktop can handle, but not necessary.

One question that makes me hesitate though is will these tablets be upgradable to windows 10 when it's released or do we not know anything about that yet?

We don't know anything about Windows 10 upgrade paths yet, so hard to say.

Otherwise what you described is fine for the T100/200.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SeaWolf posted:

Pretty much anything your Core2Duo can handle will run on any possible tablet.

That said the T100A is pretty weak for games (couldn't run Star Craft 2 well). The biggest problem I had with the T100A (besides the well documented sleep issues) was the resolution is really low (1366 x 768) so if you've been using a newer tablet than the iPad2 it will be pretty disappointing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Granted, the T100 is a full laptop hybrid that's less than the base model iPad. You definitely get more bang for your buck.

I enjoy mine. It makes a wonderful study companion. The inbuilt PDF reader is amazing, and handles everything I throw at it, even a 800 page Physics textbook.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
Sounds like I'm making the right choice! And, it looks like the TA200 is just an 11" device with the same specs as the TA100 which is cool. More real estate is nice. 500GB HD is nice too. For $100 extra prolly worth it.

Maybe if I hold off until the holidays with some extra $$ I might even just go for the TA300 Chi which is even bigger. Portability doesn't really concern me all that much, it's got broadwell, and it looks like a sweet piece of hardware. We'll see how much it costs!

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For god's sake man, it's 2014. Don't get a loving hard drive.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
CD-r Is where it's at, you can even get pocket sized ones now.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

you're right I didn't notice that there was a model without one. i could add my own in later to the dock from my drawer full of drives if I wanted but yeah don't need one. If I had no choice it would just have been gravy, nothing I couldn't live without.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

fleshweasel posted:

I thought the 500gb hard drive is in the keyboard attachment.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
that would be even worse.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Well I just ordered a i3 Dell Venue 11 from Dell Outlet. I'll let you guys know what what it's like when I get it.

Did the other Dell Venue guy have a trip report yet?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

fleshweasel posted:

that would be even worse.

It's removable. You can throw a larger SSD in there.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Protocol7 posted:

It's removable. You can throw a larger SSD in there.

You can buy it sans hard drive and do the same thing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can buy it sans hard drive and do the same thing.

Thought it would be like T100 and model without wouldn't have the hookup. Guess I am wrong!

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

-Blackadder- posted:

Well I just ordered a i3 Dell Venue 11 from Dell Outlet. I'll let you guys know what what it's like when I get it.

Did the other Dell Venue guy have a trip report yet?

I haven't used it much yet so I can't really give an object review yet.

A couple things I have noticed, bringing it out of sleep makes it slow for a few seconds (~20), the pen could be awesome if it didn't require so much pressure to register a click (this might be adjustable in the settings, haven't looked yet), the auto brightness is terrible and I advise turning it off as soon as you get it. I'll try and report a little more once I use the thing a bit.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Looks like the Surface Pro 2 is being discontinued: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/surface-pro-2-no-longer-available-from-microsoft-store/

Might be a good time to look for discounts on them.

This goes some way towards explaining how I was able to buy a 512gb Pro 2 through work for about $800 yesterday. Hoping it should arrive some time today.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

Am I an old man or is this really nonsensical? I own multiple hard drives. They're awesome. Many of my devices run on purely flash storage and they're great, but sometimes you're using a computer (especially since it's Windows ffs) and a hard drive is handy to have.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Am I an old man or is this really nonsensical? I own multiple hard drives. They're awesome. Many of my devices run on purely flash storage and they're great, but sometimes you're using a computer (especially since it's Windows ffs) and a hard drive is handy to have.

Because an SSD is literally a billion times faster and why would you want to have a mechanical spinning hard drive in a tablet that you carry around with you?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Internet Explorer posted:

Because an SSD is literally a billion times faster and why would you want to have a mechanical spinning hard drive in a tablet that you carry around with you?

when you absolutely need your entire porn collection with you at all times and $/gb matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Well there's the whole SSD's die instantly with zero warning and platter drives slowly die with plenty of warning argument.

It's valid if you don't have a constant backup plan ruining.

• Locked thread