Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, I have been having nothing but trouble with the Seleucid start. Three turns in the eastern satrapies declare war, Egypt likes to declare war around the same time, the entirety of Anatolia loves to beat the gently caress out of Sardes, forcing you to either get involved in another loving war or abandon a satrap (and the associated income), and loving people break trade agreements all over the place. The entire area just loving hates your guts, and you're at war with the entirety of the eastern half of the loving map from the earliest stage. On top of that, your unit selection early on is just absolute rear end.

The only other start that can compare is Carthage, and at least it keeps its loving clients, unlike the Seleucids where most of them tell you to go gently caress yourself. It seems Media is the only one that sticks around, and they have a tendency to break off eventually regardless. So you're just in a forever war with about a dozen other factions, you can't secure your southern border because Egypt hates you forever, and your north/northwest borders are either Egyptian satraps or people that want you dead. It's like a giant game of smear the queer, and you're the dude obsessing over fabric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ok, I think I've found a way to survive the start as the Seleucids:

1.) On the FIRST loving TURN. The FIRST loving THING you do is sue for peace with the Qidri. They even paid me. I got 5000 denarii on Very Hard. This step is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT because it lessens the hate parade that you get from your eastern satrapies. It doesn't ELIMINATE the hate, but it does give you a breather.

2.) Make Cappadocia a satrap. This does two things: 1.) It makes the Galatians much less likely to gently caress with Cappadocia, and thus they tend to go gently caress with the Seleucids. 2.) It also gives you a great buffer on your northern border, which means that Sardes and Cappadocia can pretty much hold down Asia Minor in your stead.

3.) Secure as many loving trade agreements as possible. Send your starting fleet west, and just sign up as many people as possible.

If the diplomacy works out for you, you gain stability for a few turns. Your eastern satraps won't IMMEDIATELY revolt, and when they do, it won't be all of them. Right now I've got Media, Drangiana, and Persia fighting off Sagartia, Parthava, Parthia, Aria, and Arachosia. They're holding my eastern front down, so I've been focusing on Arabia, and checking Egypt. Meanwhile, I've managed to get trade agreements with just about everyone I've encountered, and I'm rolling in cash.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Holy gently caress Silver Shield Swordsmen are amazing. The Seleucids get an INCREDIBLE loving roster of troops, god drat. Armored Indian Elephants (which are deadlier and tougher than African War Elephants), Silver Shield Pikemen, Silver Shield Swordsmen (that seem to be roughly equivalent to Legionaries), etc. Holy gently caress.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So FYI, the squalor reduction mod unfortunately hasn't been updated, and thus doesn't support the Seleucids. :(

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

VanSandman posted:

Mine works fine.

Edit: on a related note, I was FINALLY able to get rid of a confusing terrain graphic glitch (some blocks of terrain texture would be partially or totally black depending on the angle of the camera) I can say this to anyone having graphical issues still: turn down your shader level. 4.1 and 5 was giving me the glitch, 4 does not and I can't tell the visual difference otherwise.

Well, correction, it doesn't work with certain Seleucid buildings: the satrap's palace and the big temple of daphne thing. You only get the associated garrisons.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So the Seleucid start is loving insane on Very Hard. loving NUTS. It's a non-stop, gently caress you, I-hope-you-like-hillmen forever war with the entire eastern half of the map. I cannot properly explain how insane it is. I have a two turn per year mod installed, and I JUST NOW finished up the infinite war which began on turn 2, and it's loving 210 BC. 123 turns of non-stop war.

I even lucked out, and a few of them would sue for (very, very temporary) peace, giving me some time to consolidate my gains and recoup my losses. If I hadn't been able to divide them like that, I'd be hosed. Even the god damned Scythians got in on the hate train, and declared on me for no loving reason. Literally loving all of the satraps with the exception of Media revolted, Parthia signed on halfway through, Media Atropatene and Armenia decided to make me defend Syria with two armies for ages, etc.

It was amazing. To give you an idea of just how much of the map loving ganged up on me, I took a picture of the map to celebrate:

Yeah. See all that loving territory? EVERYONE THAT KEPT DECLARING WAR ON ME. I'm lucky I convinced Macedon and it's allies (western Anatolia and Greece) to sign defensive alliances, if I hadn't I'd have been fighting non-stop in loving Anatolia too. Oh, and did I mention that I did this all with only nine armies? Nine armies that never had the time to take advantage of my tech, and consequently used primarily Levy Pikemen or (if I was lucky) regular Pikemen, and loving HILLMEN? Yeah. I loving raped the east with loving Hillmen for melee troops.

I highly recommend it.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 20, 2013

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Alright, it doesn't look like it's being updated anymore, and, frankly, there isn't another mod out there that does this without being loving stupid and changing everything else, so here goes: can someone either update or remake this mod? Specifically, the second one linked (LB_HalvedSqualorII.rar)? All it does is halve squalor on buildings across the board, but it hasn't been updated in a while and isn't fully compatible with patch 5/the Seleucids.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I have no idea how to do this voodoo, so you are literally Superman now.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Auto-resolve seems to be designed to just gently caress you over. If you've got elephants, they die. No matter what. If you've got cavalry, well now you have half as much cavalry. Somehow an army comprised entirely of loving poo poo javelins is capable of routing a balanced, top-tier force with devastating losses? The only possible explanation is that they DO NOT want you to loving auto-resolve, so they built in a tax to gently caress you over.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Rycalawre posted:

It's to do with unit numbers I think, when you auto resolve the units with the lowest numbers get hit the hardest.

I auto-resolved on a minor settlement with a badly depleted garrison and no supporting armies/fleets just to test. The auto-resolve predicted a decisive victory with 98% of my force remaining. What happened? The elephants died. I can't even loving imagine how that could have happened since their strongest unit was a 3/4 strength poo poo javelins. It's like the auto-resolve specifically hates elephants, although it does hit cavalry really loving hard, too.

At this point, I've just stopped using the drat things, because sending them back to my recruitment provinces to recruit elephants is time consuming, and having to do that every loving time I auto-resolve even the smallest loving engagement is annoying as poo poo. I'll stick with regular cavalry.

Yukitsu posted:

Well, yeah, that's exactly why Rome decided to not use pikes, and why they beat Macedon. Though I've honestly never seen top end pikes get rolled from the front, especially not by Spartan infantry. I mean, pikes pay off way better than any unit if used properly, if they were easy to use on top of that, multiplayer would be nothing but pike spam.

This. Pikes used properly are an incredible tool, but don't just spam pikes and pikes alone. You need melee infantry of some sort on their flanks to let them really beat the poo poo out of things. Pike phalanxes in siege battles are loving wonderful, since you can't be flanked in the narrow streets you can just slowly squeeze your enemy out of his own loving city. Alternatively, loving nothing gets by a pike phalanx covering the gatehouse.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 22, 2013

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Man, I wish horse archers worked like they used to in Rome 1/Medieval 2/Shogun 2. Especially M2's were just devastating when used properly.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Hah, nope. Total War AI is always loving retarded. ALWAYS.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

My personal favorite is auto-resolve telling you you'd suffer a CRUSHING DEFEAT if you attack this minor settlement, and then you take control and come out with a decisive victory and no more than 50 losses. Thanks for standing still while my slingers/archers spam death at you, AI!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Well, my Seleucid campaign is finishing up. I control everything that isn't Spain, Scotland, or Africa/Mauretania. Literally everything else. I'm still not at the loving 140 settlements, though.

The Gauls have been putting up a decent fight, though. I got hit with three stacks from three different directions from three different factions earlier, but unfortunately for them my armies are comprised entirely of Silver Shield Pikemen and Swordsmen, Heavy Syrian Archers, and Hellenic Cataphracts and Azat Knights backing them up. I stopped using elephants because the loving auto-resolve just absolutely despises elephants, and I got sick of trying to recruit them constantly.

Basically, I'm steamrolling Gaul, then I'm going to clean up Britain (I've only got two armies there right now and the loving Iceni are all over Scotland and Ireland), and then push through Spain to North Africa, win the game, and conquer the entire map at the same time.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So apparently you can form a confederation with the other steppe factions, and your faction name becomes "Horde of the Vast Steppe".

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Is there anything that doesn't ruin "immersion" for these people?

Huge anime tits.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Wallet posted:

Two or three goons seemed to enjoy that Pontus mod I posted in the last thread, and I just put a newer iteration of it on the workshop, so I figured I'd link it here:
Hellenic Revival

I've applied the same approach I did to Pontus across all of the hellenic factions. I'd post another unit list image but making one for 8 factions and sixty something units would take forever. I hope someone figures out how to properly edit the encyclopedia some day, that would be a lot easier. Have some building chains instead:

If some goon does enjoy it, I could use some screenshots for the workshop page-thing; I always forget to take any when I'm playing.

This looks awesome and I think I'm going to start an Athens or Sparta game with it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?628307-Stop-development-of-RtwII

TWCenter living up to it's reputation. It starts off with: "1 recovering from the RtwII disaster"

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

"3 stop assuming that adoring fans and steam stats are telling them truthfull feedback" :laffo:

What exactly is these guys' beef? This is the first TW game I have played and it seems fantastic.

That dude, in particular, is an insufferable sperg that makes even the spergiest goon look like a calm and reasonable human being. He basically thinks that unless every single TW game is 100% bug-free, slaughters you as soon as you start the game, shits on anyone that disagrees with him, sucks his dick, and -- most importantly -- ensures that some soldiers aren't taller than others, it's dogshit and only his fellow TWC sperg modders know what's good and right and how to make a Total War game. (I'm not making up the part about being offended by unit heights in a video game, by the way. He actually made a mod to "correct" that in Rome 2, and of course went on an unprompted diatribe about how CA is obviously racist because German soldiers are taller than Italian ones or something.)

Another example is Darth, who, of course, made Darthmod for the previous games. The guy who put Darth Vader in loving every loading screen. That guy. While his ideas might have been nice, most of his changes were tweaking numbers in a spreadsheet. Naturally, in his mind this made him God's gift to modding and the savior of the game, and he was looking for a job at CA (which, admittedly, isn't unprecedented: Jack Lusted made a good Medieval 2 mod called Lands to Conquer and got hired, in part, because of it). When CA held a modding meetup or convention or whatever they called it, they didn't invite Lord St. Darth III, savior of Total War mods, and he reacted rationally and with good humor: he threw a shitfit, made a huge public deal about canceling development of his mod, and basically just proved exactly why CA wouldn't hire him: he's a gigantic sperg who reacts to any negative response by throwing a tantrum and sticking his head in the sand. He "quit" modding Total War games and is apparently now making his own game based around the battle of Gettysburg. I'm sure it must be a joy to work with him.

But yeah, gently caress TWC.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah the height difference thing was weird, but he was framing it as CA being obviously racist and unfit for developing games. A height difference. In a video game.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Barracuda Bang! posted:

What mod is it that lets your offer confederation to Libya and Nova Carthago as Carthage?

Qart Hadasht, by Dresden. It's on the workshop, although I think he's updated it now to just give Carthage its appropriate starting territory. He also has one for the Seleucids, Egypt, and Rome, each, including Carthage, in 1tpy, 2tpy, and 4tpy variants. He also has a compilation that includes all of the above, with the same turn per year options.

Tomn posted:

Wasn't he the same guy who claimed that CA was racist because some of the Romans seemed a bit tanned, which is obviously bullshit because TRUE ROMANS, ancestors of TRUE MODERN ITALIANS, were all lily-white and not even a little bit black?

Yep. He's super crazy, ridiculously spergy, and hilariously stupid.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 1, 2013

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Everyone knows that people from southern Europe are pasty white with blonde hair. Ain't nothing swarthy down there no sir. :colbert:

I'm Italian and pasty white -- as I am a proper goon -- but my hair is brown. I guess I'm not a REAL Italian then.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Hellenism.jpg

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Washin Tong posted:

:aaaaa: I just found out there's fully functional harpoon ship in the game... that only the Etruscans have.

Why.

gently caress it, time to get my mod on.

This is one of those things that gets me wondering. The Etruscans are technically one of the major factions in the game (if you note which factions take their turns first, it's the playable ones and THEN the non-playables; the Etruscans are lumped in with the playables and take their turn before all the rest). I'm thinking CA is going to release DLC to make them playable...

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So apparently Bactria has been confirmed as a Free DLC faction? I'm excited!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

CiG is pretty damned good.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

LeSquide posted:

Care to elaborate? I'm on the fence.

You know how, once you get to a certain point in the tech tree of the normal game, you end up just wrecking everyone you come across? Coupled with massive income that goes unspent for lack of things to spend it on? CiG rectifies that, at least for the DLC campaign. Money is a thing pretty much constantly, and you can't truly out-tech anyone else, so the game comes down to out-fighting things. Even Rome is a challenge. Plus, they managed to implement a "REALM DIVIDE!" style event that isn't totally and utterly retarded!

Oh, and some of the new units are cool.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

JGBeagle posted:

Do campaigns follow history more or does it evolve into alternate history more often a la Crusader Kings 2?

It starts off semi-historical and then evolves randomly. It definitely doesn't follow history.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Well they finally got around to making the AI actually attempt to use siege engines with the 8.1 beta patch. I just had some Gauls use a loving battering ram for the FIRST TIME EVER.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Can client states declare war on their own?

Client states, yes; satrapies, no. (Although your satraps can declare war on YOU, just not anyone else without you doing it first.)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Well this is neat. I'm playing another campaign as Rome, and the Triumph video pops up for a split second, then it's immediately followed by a political bullshit window telling me that the Aedui are jackholes and joined a war against me. Normal, right?

Well, then the UI stops responding in every single way possible. Literally everything on the loving screen is greyed out, and no matter how long I let it sit there, it never comes back from the dead. Ever. It just sits there, greyed out, and not even hitting loving Escape brings up the menu. The entire game just stops responding and the only thing I can do is alt-tab out and kill the process. There's no quitting, no saving, no continuing play. The campaign is completely hosed because of a stupid loving video.

Is there any way around this bullshit?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Archonex posted:

So the new civilizations in the culture packs, are they all playable by the AI without buying them?

I have little interest in actually playing most of them, but being able to actually see different civilizations other than the three generic types would be nice.

The culture packs make those factions playable, but they're already in the game.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The biggest problem with the food/squalor mechanic is that loving everything that doesn't provide food or order is several magnitudes less useful than those that do. Sure, you can specialize to a degree, but most of the buildings in the game can be looked at as "Gee, look at all these fancy buildings I can't build because they don't provide food or order!". It's just really poorly thought-out.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Wallet posted:

Lastly, I'm predicting that if I do release it the comments will be full of people whining that my Immortals aren't called Immortals and that they aren't melee gods with goofy masks.

Man, I hate this poo poo. The loving 300 crowd and their obsession with recreating the movie gets annoying. "Hey guys, the Spartans aren't loving insanely overpowered, bare-chested rape machines! WTF??! CA IS WORST COMPANY!" "Hey guys, let's ignore the fact that the Achaemenid Persian empire was loving dismantled by Alexander and wonder aloud why loving PARTHIA of all things doesn't have access to Immortals even though Immortals, as a concept, weren't even anything approaching what I'm thinking of, let alone the fact that this game takes place over a century after Alexander's conquest!"

I mean, I get it. They look cool, and most people just don't have a grasp of history. Fine. But don't poo poo up the actual good mods out there because of it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Assyrian-style hurling of heads would be pretty boss, not gonna lie.

On another note, Centurions were apparently far more badass in Rome 1 than I realized: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSK0zzYUeno

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

If they're immortal how come I haven't seen any in modern times? :colbert:

Considering that they're, at the very least, roughly 2300 years old at this point, they have been classified as "takers" and we all know what happens to layabouts in this here country.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

War Dogs got a big fat nerf that made them pointless, if you ask me. Also, greatswords weren't especially common owing to the metallurgical processes of the time, so no, no GiantDads. :(

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

drat, I swear I saw someone with a huge sword stuck on the boat in that glitches video. Guess I'll have to wait for Medieval 2 (not going back to Shogun 2 as much as I love it - Realm Divide can eat dirt).

Probably a Thracian/Dacian unit with a falx.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Welp CA just released the beta mod tools. Looks like a fairly comprehensive package, too. It provides everything from a database editor to tools to import animations and models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Hold on, does that mean people could replace the overly long kill animations locking everyone into 1vs1 deathmatchs that nobody even watchs, to the rome 1 system with simple animations that might let more then one guy fight eachother at once?

Or is it too early to tell?

Too early to tell, but it might be possible. These seem to be proper mod tools.

• Locked thread