Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

alex314 posted:

They haven't changed much, it's still way better to simply autoresolve them. Troop transports are still way too powerful for what they are.

That's what I was afraid of. I find myself ignoring that aspect of the game completely, because it is so broken. It's a pity, classical era naval battles was such an awesome concept.

dogsarentdangerous posted:

I feel this is by far the most salient point made by that TWC guy. I feel we could all, at times, benefit from a more Humile mind.

Whatever the gently caress that is.

Edit: I think he means 'humble'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Levy pikes. Make a wide line and walk into the bastards. Stick some melee troops right behind the pike line to close any gaps.
It would be cool as hell for elite pikes to get a pike charge ability that'd send em straight to exhausted in return for being able to run with your spear down, but it'd probably be broken as hell.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Bold Robot posted:

"3 stop assuming that adoring fans and steam stats are telling them truthfull feedback" :laffo:

What exactly is these guys' beef? This is the first TW game I have played and it seems fantastic.

Rome 2 was incredibly rough and buggy on day one, rife with crippling performance issues, insane turn times in multiplayer, crash bugs, etc. So even in these Total War threads opinions on the game were pretty dire. The general attitude was "Well it's pretty lovely but at least it's Rome 2 :smith:". The amount which they've fixed and improved the game within such a short period of time is absolutely stunning. Multiplayer turn times are nearly instant now(they were 1-2 minutes *per faction* at release, for contrast) and the game runs 20 FPS better on my rig than it did at launch. So there was some basis for thinking the game was total dog poo poo a month ago, I suppose.

That guy in particular is just a crazy person, though.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I think it's weird to have regular ol' skirmishers be like 7 feet tall if you're a barbarian. Prometheus' unit height mod is possibly that man's greatest contribution to society in a long time.

Burns
May 10, 2008

This Prometheus guy has really lost a few stones somewhere over the years (he wasn't this bad in the Rome1 days as far as I remember). I particularly like the "respect for history" argument he puts forth, completely missing the fact that Rome 2 is a VIDEO GAME, and not a simulation (if you can call it that).

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah the height difference thing was weird, but he was framing it as CA being obviously racist and unfit for developing games. A height difference. In a video game.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Well, to the Romans, the Germans really were giant mythic monster people.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, those aren't rusted statues, those are soldiers covered in blood.

(they were killed by slingers, the blood is comically bad on whatever graphic settings I had running at this point)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Gonkish posted:

Yeah the height difference thing was weird, but he was framing it as CA being obviously racist and unfit for developing games. A height difference. In a video game.

Wasn't he the same guy who claimed that CA was racist because some of the Romans seemed a bit tanned, which is obviously bullshit because TRUE ROMANS, ancestors of TRUE MODERN ITALIANS, were all lily-white and not even a little bit black?

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
What mod is it that lets your offer confederation to Libya and Nova Carthago as Carthage?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
any word on Patch 6 lately?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Patch 6 is just the blood pack. I don't think there are any other changes. It does break some mods though, apparently.

xzzy posted:

(they were killed by slingers, the blood is comically bad on whatever graphic settings I had running at this point)

It looks like this on extreme:

It's not anime samurai fun like the shogun 2 one was but I think it works pretty well, though the blood decals on the ground need to persist way more; it's weird having bloodied up guys and a completely clean ground. I'm not blown away by it but I felt it was pretty sorely lacking before and now I don't so I'd say it was worth my 3bux.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Online manuals ARE THE BEST.

Every single page on the in-game encyclopedia is currently blank. :downs:

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Barracuda Bang! posted:

What mod is it that lets your offer confederation to Libya and Nova Carthago as Carthage?

I had it right in my history http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?623647 . If you don't like how he changed it its a really simple mod, the files are culture_settlement_occupation_options_tables, diplomatic_action_faction_restrictions and diplomatic_action_subculture_restrictions. For example I only added satrapies to eastern barbarians while the others got client states in what I use myself.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I've finished the units part of the Sparta mod, probably gonna mess with the building chains a little bit but here's the unit pack for now.

The list is the same as before except I've added the war dogs. I changed the variantmesh of my archers, the dog handlers, and the elephant handlers. I also removed that loving beard from the Royal Spartan model because it seemed way too eastern (its actually labelled Eastern beard in the meshes).

War Dogs (ingore the grammar mistake :argh:):

Cataphracts (you can see the beard change):

Like I said earlier, I didn't really bother balancing this to the rest of the game specifically, they might end up being a little bit too strong (the unmodded Kopis is 34/10, which is very high AP for a sword on top of high stats). It's also not based in historical accuracy at all, I just made them because I like adding high end units so my roster doesn't get stale.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=97658390113835871431

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 1, 2013

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is it possible to have Marian style reforms for other factions as well?

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

ProfessorGroove posted:

I had it right in my history http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?623647 . If you don't like how he changed it its a really simple mod, the files are culture_settlement_occupation_options_tables, diplomatic_action_faction_restrictions and diplomatic_action_subculture_restrictions. For example I only added satrapies to eastern barbarians while the others got client states in what I use myself.

Hrm, I installed that from the Workshop already, but I don't see the offer to invite to form confederation.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
CA needs to release some drat notes for Patch 6 (7?) already.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Qart Hadasht, by Dresden. It's on the workshop, although I think he's updated it now to just give Carthage its appropriate starting territory. He also has one for the Seleucids, Egypt, and Rome, each, including Carthage, in 1tpy, 2tpy, and 4tpy variants. He also has a compilation that includes all of the above, with the same turn per year options.

Tomn posted:

Wasn't he the same guy who claimed that CA was racist because some of the Romans seemed a bit tanned, which is obviously bullshit because TRUE ROMANS, ancestors of TRUE MODERN ITALIANS, were all lily-white and not even a little bit black?

Yep. He's super crazy, ridiculously spergy, and hilariously stupid.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 1, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

xzzy posted:

Dammit, this looks like a similar problem to the one I had with the Shogun 2 blood DLC (which I never got) - I like the idea of blood/dismemberment in the game but they just go so over the top that it's cartoonishly ridiculous and I end up skipping it.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I started a new campaign as Rome on normal difficulty. I had a few strange fights against the Etruscans. In one, their Spearmen just stood there and got javelined to death. In another, a superior rebel Etruscan force (meaning they spawned outside a city with one general unit and a scrub garrison). Each had 2-3 chevrons. They all still routed where they should have had no trouble against Rotarii. Then on the other hand there was a great battle on Cicelia that I barely managed to win.

Also, the blood and gore is loving spectacular.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
If you add War Dogs to Hellenic faction please make 2 versions. lovely Perikoi dogs and better Citizen Dogs.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Mahasamatman posted:

If you add War Dogs to Hellenic faction please make 2 versions. lovely Perikoi dogs and better Citizen Dogs.

In this case, the country yokels should probably have the better dogs than the citizens.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gonkish posted:

Yep. He's super crazy, ridiculously spergy, and hilariously stupid.

Everyone knows that people from southern Europe are pasty white with blonde hair. Ain't nothing swarthy down there no sir. :colbert:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Mahasamatman posted:

The dogs eat only the finest throats.

To be honest I thought the name made them fit the auxiliary barracks better. I'm not sure where to actually make the dogs better if I wanted, the stats apply to the handlers AFAIK.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Everyone knows that people from southern Europe are pasty white with blonde hair. Ain't nothing swarthy down there no sir. :colbert:

I'm Italian and pasty white -- as I am a proper goon -- but my hair is brown. I guess I'm not a REAL Italian then.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Based on screenshots, blood and gore looks great, if a bit flawed in some respects. I'm sure it'll take just one good mod to make it perfect.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Hrm, I installed that from the Workshop already, but I don't see the offer to invite to form confederation.

Are you playing as Egypt, Pontus, Parthia or the Seleucids? They don't have any other factions that share their categorization to confederate with.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mahasamatman posted:

Companion dogs :3:

Wallet posted:

I appreciate the information/input everyone has posted, so thanks!

Yeah, I've look at their unit lists for ideas and stuff, which has been helpful here and there. I could easily just give the steppe tribes a bunch of poo poo in the categories they are missing, but I have no interest in homogenizing all of the factions by giving them all high-tier units. I'm trying to figure out a way to give them well-developed decently sized rosters without changing what makes them sort of unique. For comparison purposes each of the barbarian/nomad factions has about 14 units (not including siege/special units) in the base game, while a really well developed faction like the Seleucids has a little over 30.

I don't know to be honest. I think EB tried to make it so that the Dahae were more Skirmish and meele focused, with some tribes consisting mainly of longer ranged, faster but fragile HA and some others preferring heavier and sturdier armor.

Maybe make it sorta gamey like that? One nomad tribe excells of skirmishers and medium meele cavalry, another one is better with long range archery and the other more meele focused? Tacitus talks about the heavy armor of the Roxolani, and "Roxolani" sounds like a badass name for Steppe heavy infantry :v:

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
From the multiplayer front, pikes seem to work a little better now in that they seem to have their unlimited brace back while 1 man deep again (to the point that 32 of them stop a shock cav charge.) Their attack AI is still buggered to all hell, but at least you can use them in a moving wall again. Of course, 8 African pikes or the equivalent backed by 6 Rhodian slingers is a guaranteed drop hack against you, but it's a give and take sort of thing.

Also, the rage quit rates are approaching 90%. As in, 9 out of 10 players that you face will declare a draw by quitting. If you care about ladder position, that means you need to win about 10 in a row to go up about 5 ranks on the ladder. Take a break until this is fixed if you actually care about ladder position.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 1, 2013

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Yukitsu posted:

From the multiplayer front, pikes seem to work a little better now in that they seem to have their unlimited brace back while 1 man deep again (to the point that 32 of them stop a shock cav charge.) Their attack AI is still buggered to all hell, but at least you can use them in a moving wall again. Of course, 8 African pikes or the equivalent backed by 6 Rhodian slingers is a guaranteed drop hack against you, but it's a give and take sort of thing.

Also, the rage quit rates are approaching 90%. As in, 9 out of 10 players that you face will declare a draw by quitting. If you care about ladder position, that means you need to win about 10 in a row to go up about 5 ranks on the ladder. Take a break until this is fixed if you actually care about ladder position.

Why isnt leaving the game just calculated as a loss like in every other competitive 1v1 online game?

Mindy Tyrone
Mar 16, 2007

:sweden::sweden::sweden::sweden:
:sweden:

Jerusalem posted:

Dammit, this looks like a similar problem to the one I had with the Shogun 2 blood DLC (which I never got) - I like the idea of blood/dismemberment in the game but they just go so over the top that it's cartoonishly ridiculous and I end up skipping it.

That's the point though. The Shogun 2 Blood Pack DLC was quite clearly an homage to all the samurai and ninja b-movies that go over the top with the blood effects.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Soviet_Russia posted:

Why isnt leaving the game just calculated as a loss like in every other competitive 1v1 online game?

Because Creative Assembly is really, really bad at competitive game design.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Koramei posted:

though the blood decals on the ground need to persist way more; it's weird having bloodied up guys and a completely clean ground.

There's a mod for this already (haven't tried it myself): http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?622569-Slashas-Unlimited-decals-and-blood!

I like the blood dlc even though spears get kind of shafted (heh) when it comes to crazy dismemberment/decapitation animations.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Soviet_Russia posted:

Because upgrades are incremental, and you don't want too much of a jump from the "unplug your internet for a win" model that they had back in Shogun 2. They need to ease us into this kind of thing.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ProfessorGroove posted:

Are you playing as Egypt, Pontus, Parthia or the Seleucids? They don't have any other factions that share their categorization to confederate with.

I'm playing Carthage, but I figured it out. Since Nova Carthago and Libya start as client states, and you can't offer confederation to client states, the option to offer confederation wasn't showing up. I had to cancel the client state treaty to get the option.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What does everyone think the optimum turns per year is?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Barracuda Bang! posted:

What does everyone think the optimum turns per year is?

2 is probably the best for "balance" because once you get to 4 turns or more it's trivially simple to max out the level for all your characters.. means you got piles of death agents running around demolishing everything in their path.

But I run 4 turns per year anyways, because I always buy the same skills and retraining them constantly is pretty annoying.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

xzzy posted:

2 is probably the best for "balance" because once you get to 4 turns or more it's trivially simple to max out the level for all your characters.. means you got piles of death agents running around demolishing everything in their path.

But I run 4 turns per year anyways, because I always buy the same skills and retraining them constantly is pretty annoying.

Pretty much this. Death agents can be pretty awful though if you're at war with a bunch of them, so maybe consider reducing the number of agent actions allowed per turn.

I'd slap a baby for the opportunity to give and demand territory through diplomacy. Does anyone have an idea if that'll ever be possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VanSandman posted:

I'd slap a baby for the opportunity to give and demand territory through diplomacy. Does anyone have an idea if that'll ever be possible?

Giving territories would own. When I was working on getting an economic victory I was having problems with vast chunks of the play area converting to rebel ownership because the AI is so bad at managing their empire. I didn't want to conquer those areas because I needed to use them as trade partners, but the AI refused to attack them on their own.

If I could capture a settlement and hand it over to any faction in the game the whole process would have been a lot smoother. Plus I imagine it'd be a pretty big diplomatic win, giving out land was always a great way to make friends in those times.

• Locked thread