Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Argh! I miss the guild and all of these glorious shenanigans. Hopefully I will be able to get back into it around Feb when life stops being so stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The question on my mind since my break from this game (and pretty much all internet conversation about it) is how much ascended armor has impacted things? More specifically, is it like weapons and accessories where I could safely ignore it for everything except maybe high level fractals or has the combination of introducing it to all(most?) slots turned it into something that noticeably impacts other aspects of the game in a more meaningful way? Not to be confused with "necessary". I know it isn't necessary.

Because I gotta say that the thought of seeking it all out is not very appealing.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah I know it won't mean anything in PvE. I am wondering more about WvW.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

That's good to hear. I just know that eventually there is a stat based tipping point in WvW where going beyond exotics will matter. I just wasn't sure if someone fully decked out with ascended in every slot hit that tipping point or not.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I am in SFD so the last thing I am worried about is getting any guild related poo poo for my gear stats. I worry far more about my video card exploding thanks to the barrage of Mesmer Asura's fireworks during WvW Dental Trains (never stop doing this).

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Operation Juicebox posted:

I have just got this game and I'm having a lot of fun so far but as a complete and utter newbie what are like the top things I should know so I don't look like a complete idiot?

This is a pretty hard question to answer because there are so many useful things to tell you although I wouldn't worry about the being perceived as an idiot part. Anyone who cannot respect that new players go through a learning curve doesn't deserve an ounce of attention anyways.

With that said, I will throw a few things at you:

1. The traditional holy trinity roles of tank/healer/dps doesn't exist in this game. There are roles to be played and all of the professions (classes) have a pretty unique feel, but generally everyone is some sort of mixture of dps and support.

2. Gear stats matter a lot less in this MMO than most. While not inconsequential, the game is mostly about exploring and making yourself look FABULOUS! There is no gear based content gating save for Fractals(a special type of dungeon) but you don't have to worry about that until much later if ever.

3. Play however you want, but in PvE I recommend taking your time, explore everywhere, and do dynamic events as you run across them (these are those orange things that keep popping up on your map). You can treat your map as a checklist if you want by going from point to point, but a lot of people tend to enjoy themselves more by just kind of wandering like they would in a game like Skyrim. There are some amazing places to be discovered which are not marked on the map like jumping puzzles, mini dungeons, etc. Most of which have a chest of loot to plunder.

This list can go on forever so I will end here and let others say stuff.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

To be honest, part of me would be disappointed if Scarlet's story did not end with something as ridiculously over the top as that tit bot. I'm ready to polish those heels with unending particle effects. This is the end of something terrible. Oh and something about worms. Seriously, how the hell did they squeeze that in?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Lonk posted:

I'm half expecting the titbot to be a really annoying and terrible fight just so arenanet can go "welp see this is why we had you spam a single button to fight Zhaitan, large fights simply do not work well!"

In response to popular demand, Titbot only has 50,000hp! However, to keep the fight challenging and to stay with the aetherblade theme it discharges all static fields all the time. Players will only be expected to get one hit in every few minutes as they work hard to avoid those fields and break out of what feels like an endless CC stun. Challenge! FUN!

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 14, 2014

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

poptart_fairy posted:

Give the worm giant tits.

and perfectly heart shaped rear end cheeks that look like rose petals.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

malhavok posted:

Buying things of the TP and salvaging them for a profit. Takes a whole lot of clicking and it is very tedious though.

I wouldn't mind a "Salvage all items below [insert adjustable rarity here]" button.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

If they want me to spend 800 gems on those ore nodes they could at least add a chance of them dropping lodestones or something. That would make it a much more tempting buy and I would have more incentive to actually mine it daily instead of forgetting about them like my other nodes.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I'd like to see some before and after screenshots of someone using SweetFX. Also, how much is it impacting your frame rates?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

If someone says something negative about something you find fun and like, like your ranger, tell them to eat a bag of dicks.

As far as I am concerned, this is the one and only golden rule of online gaming. Always ignore these kinds of people.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ghost story posted:

Is there any guild presence on Borlis Pass or is just Maguuma? I already have a level 80 so I'd prefer to keep her. If I don't have to go broke buying gems, that'd be nice.

Nearly the entire presence is on Maguuma.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Speaking of dodging, I have been playing this game since beta and I still feel like I can't see poo poo half the time. I don't know how some of you manage to dodge effectively for this reason. Even in 5 man dungeons I often feel like I have to squint between all of the spell effects just to catch the telegraph in time to dodge.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

Holy poo poo yet, sometimes it's fine, but I was doing AC (surprise) a few weeks ago with a number of eles, and I had to loving squint to see Kholer's windup. Didn't Kholer back that time, that's for sure.

And Kholer's telegraph is by far one of the easier ones to notice in the game. I know this is a topic that has been whined about since beta but it really is a serious design flaw for an action combat game. I wish they would address it properly because it feels great to make good strategic decisions about dodging as you pound your enemy in the face. In GW2, dodging feels more like a guessing game half the time.

Visidan posted:

The dangerous attacks in this game are the non flashy ones that hit very quickly with a small windup, luckily these aren't random and have a timing to them so they can be dodged easily after observing them.

As for the flashy effects I think we'll have options to turn them down when the pvp updates hit they've been hinting at them for awhile now.

Some are easier to spot than others but overall the situation is pretty bad throughout the game.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

William Bear posted:

I just liquidated a bunch of stuff I had laying around in my bank and made 100g. I'm curious, since I haven't played this game in a while, what counts as a lot of money. What is the net worth of some of the people here?

I have no idea how much you have to have to be part of the 1% these days, but I am currently sitting on about 500g and that is along with all of the mats I need to craft Bolt sitting in my bank except for the precursor. That plus whatever else I have stocked up in my collectibles which might be another 50g-80g worth or something.

Generally speaking though, 100g is enough to start making some money being a rookie TP baron, but as always the more you have the more you can potentially make. 100g is also enough to be able to afford quite a few attractive things on the TP whether they be skins or dyes or whatever. There is a bunch of stuff that is still priced well beyond that too though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Ussr posted:

Ok I have that, how do I turn that into TP baron status?

Right now, I honestly don't know. The market in this game changes regularly which changes the money making strategies. I just know that the amount you have is often regarded as enough to start trying to flip some items as well as buy cheaper stuff in bulk in order to sell it for profit later based on some sort of prediction about market changes.

Personally, I just buy mats and spend skill points to craft popular items and then sell them for profit. Real TP Baroning takes more time and patience than I am willing to give. I'd rather kill world bosses, run dungeons, etc.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Traxus IV posted:

I agree that the dialogue is awful but I don't see how it's forcing their sexuality down your throat any more than Logan's gigantic boner for Queen Jennah is forced down your throat whenever he says anything ever. It's all just bad writing.

Oh, Anet.

I have not experienced it yet (work...yay), but even if something like this is really blunt I could care less. The real question is whether or not it is entertaining or just stupid. Based on some of your opinions I am guessing that it is stupid. Blunt can be fun if done right even in this context.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Erdricks posted:

The new wurm boss is Teq 2.0+. It's probably only going to be downable with an organization like TTS.

I actually miss the toxic tower LS. The solo instance, the scaling tower, at least it was doable solo. It seems like basically all this patch contains is Teq-like content.

Tell me more. Is there anything like the turrets where a small number of people can cause the entire event to fail? Hard stuff is much better when every attempt feels like you individually had the opportunity to make some real personal progress. The turret part of Teq made many failures feel like a waste of time even though you were technically gaining experience fighting him.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

RottenK posted:

Having to solo a champion sounds horribly unfun.

It is a ton of fun if the champion's mechanics are enjoyable. Most champions in GW2 don't fit that description though. The "champions" in other games like TERA (they are called BAMs) are so much fun to solo that I sometimes reinstall the game just to spend some time doing that. I couldn't imagine ever logging in to GW2 to solo champs. I would be bored to death.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Zhentar posted:

I should also point out, two of those were intentionally not killed. Once you kill one wurm, you have 45 seconds to kill another (or both? don't know yet) wurm.

In other words, there will always be enough people who are not aware of this fact killing wurms prematurely and causing the event to fail? I have not fought wurm yet so I am being sincere when asking that question.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 22, 2014

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

William Bear posted:

One thing I've wondered about from the beginning of this game is how to optimally deal with loot. Right now I:

Salvage white, blue and green items with basic salvage kits.
Salvage yellow items with the rare salvage kit.
Depending on the Black Lion price, sell orange items on there, keep them for myself, or salvage with a rare kit if I deem more money can be gained on the chance of an ectoplasm and/or orange rune.

Is this similar to what other people do? My reasoning is that I don't want to vendor blue and green items, I want the chance at more luck.

Am I correct in my assumptions that items below orange quality are not worth selling to players, or are there green and yellow items I should be looking out for?

I realized after finishing this post that it is way too long for your question, but screw it. It's already written.

I do what you do for blues and greens in most cases. For yellows...

I sell all yellow items on the TP regardless of the current ecto price except for those times where a new patch comes out that results in ecto prices shooting through the roof for a couple days. The market fluctuates so my way is not the most optimal choice all of the time, but it works very well for me and I find that it nets me a lot of gold while keeping my time investment on the TP minimal. Even when using a masters or mystic salvage kit, I have found that the drop rate for ectos just isn't high enough to be worth the risk.

One of the bigger reasons why I do it like this is because despite market fluctuations the prices of yellow items almost always balances themselves out with the current price of ectos quickly. The only time I have found salvaging yellows to be more profitable most of the time is if I am using a black lion's salvage kit that I got for free from a daily or something, but these days I reserve those to salvage blactos from cheap exotics.

However, I have considered changing my strategy. If I did I would sell most yellow weapons on the TP since they tend to be priced higher and I would salvage all other yellows. I would then stockpile my ectos and wait until they shoot up in price exceptionally high and then sell. The only reason I have not done this yet is because it just isn't as exciting for me but it would probably net more gold in the long run.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Ussr posted:

Holy gently caress, I didn't know that existed. Although I now have to worry if the gold cost / gem cost will pay itself off over time vs mystic kits vs regular kits. Haha, god I should just give up.

I have not done the math but I don't think it works out in many people's favor unless you plan to go absolutely nuts with buying blues/greens on the TP for luck. It is a convenience item and worth buying for that alone imo. The infinite salvage tools are the same way.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

UchihaHirou posted:

Or I hand over :10bux: to Arena.net and call it a day.

That's exactly how I justified my infinite gathering tools. Money well spent!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Pretty sure you guys just convinced me to buy gems for this thing tonight.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I salvage all of the time and get annoyed every time my mystic kit runs out even though it is 250 uses. That plus I need to find more reasons to throw money at anet every now and then because otherwise I feel like a cheapskate. Plus robot noises! I wasn't aware it did that until today. I think that is what is pushing me over the edge beyond always wanting one regardless.

Oh and the infinite tools are account bound now btw so if you already have some for your main you don't need to buy any for your alt.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I prefer to think of him as SFD's confused peace loving diplomat. He is always lighting up fireworks for the kids. Model citizen.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

They should allow us to have WvW Consumable weekends every now and then just for fun. They could isolate it to EB or something if too many people piss and moan about it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

This wardrobe change is exactly what I wanted them to do for a long time now. Very exciting!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

chumbler posted:

The wardrobe system is enough to get me back interested in the game. I must obtain all the clothes. I just hope that transmutation charges aren't too expensive. Dare I hope that this plus the outfit thing plus one of the updates being "Removing restrictions" might mean that they'll finally let us mix looks between armor classes, at least in regular pve? That would really make my day.

As soon as they release an infinite transmutation charge crystal in the gem store I am opening up my wallet.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Vermain posted:

Sorry if I missed this anywhere, but does this mean that any PVP appearances you've unlocked will be useable in PVE, and vice versa?

Hopefully yes. With the Wardrobe change coming, I cannot think of a single good reason to disallow this.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Kessel posted:

When you apply a skin from the wardrobe to an armor piece on you, you use one charge. Once it's applied, that armor piece will sport that skin until such time as you decide to replace it with another, costing another charge.

This is the only downside even though I fully understand why they did it. I really hope we get the option to buy infinite charges eventually. Although, I do wonder if that will happen. All infinite items thus far have been convenience items that no longer require the player to spend gold and time refilling their consumables. An item that unlocks infinite charges would be a convenience item that lets people stop buying gems on stones. There must be a magic gem price that makes profitable sense for anet to do this. I just hope they go through the trouble to figure out what that price is and make the item available eventually.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't see that ever happening and it's obvious exactly why, they would lose permanent gem profits. Even if it's a super high one-time price, I don't see it happening. Better to not expect or hope for it.

Maybe. It really depends on what the bean counters figure out if tasked with researching a way to make it profitable. On one hand, you would lose a continuous stream of money from those that regularly buy charges. On the other hand, you might make even more money over time by convincing those that would not normally buy transmutation charges (or hardly any) to put forward a good chunk of cash for a permanent item. It's impossible for any of us to figure it out without the right statistics.

My gut instinct says you are right though sadly.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 25, 2014

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Stanley Pain posted:

No one said I can't make it, it's the time required to do so.

On the plus side, it is only a one time investment. You travel to the dungeon's WP and it is unlocked forever.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So with trait resets being free and changeable anywhere in the world I would really like to be able to save a few builds and hot swap between them when out of combat. It would be even sweeter if we could save and swap armor/weapon sets that accompany the builds too.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Go RV! posted:

Armor REPAIR COSTS are going away. Stuff still breaks.

Wait really? What's the point of retaining durability? I mean..if the act of repairing your armor was fun even in a small way then I could understand but do a lot of players actually feel that way?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

I guess it's to retain some kind of penalty for getting owned repeatedly, like a forced timeout to return and repair.

Well I suppose if the game needs some sense of penalty that goes beyond not achieving the original goal then this is reasonable. Armor repair vendors can be found in all kinds of convenient locations so I won't complain. It still strikes me as pointless in practice though. I don't think it would make the game less enjoyable if they removed durability entirely.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Zhentar posted:

Precisely. It's there as a hint that you are in over your head, and you need to either sit back and rethink things or just go do something else. Running up to things and dying repeatedly isn't any fun, but that doesn't stop people from doing it - you need some penalty mechanic to reinforce that dying is bad and you should really try not to.

That is what is supposed to do in theory but it never seems to work. The part of dying where I don't get any loot, XP, and cannot make it to whatever neat thing that I was trying to get to is more than enough motivation for me. That plus I think trying to get better is fun in general even when not necessary. Besides, durability never stopped the masses from repeatedly getting killed doing literally the exact same thing over and over again as if they are incapable of learning. Heck, even XP penalties back in the old days didn't stop this from happening. It's actually quite hilarious.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ItBurns posted:

So when you drink your clothes come off and you wave a gun around?

I've heard of this game! It's called Friday night.

• Locked thread