Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
I love this new thread and OP, great job Arus.

PS fat ololo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Apple Craft posted:

For any newer players, this has has been discussed many times in the past. Anet claims no one is banned by script alone. They claim every ban is done by a real living person who reviews the situation. A lot of us do not believe them.

Just don't anything stupid, or you'll wind up like this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_E0YYRDTy0

There are no automated bans to my knowledge, though we do have reports that appearing in will get you banned. Sometimes designers build content that triggers those reports and the folks reviewing them don't have enough context. Its something the game security folks have worked really hard to correct.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Voyager I posted:

In other news, I'm still in installation limbo with not much help coming from the support forums as yet.

What genius created an installer that instantly shits itself upon encounter anything but a bone-default file configuration?

Go to https://account.guildwars2.com download the exe. Create the folder you want it to live & patch into manually & copy the file there. Create your own shortcut & run it, it'll patch itself. The installer's just a convenience and won't save you much patching time anyways at this point.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

What ever happened to that app they were so excited about at launch? Searching for it doesn't seem to yield much in the way of results. Did it get canned?

The team working on it was small and also responsible for every gw1/2 website as well as the in-game commerce stuff. We were way over-committed and something had to give :(

The API path we are going down now was what I'd been lobbying for internally almost since I started at ArenaNet, so I'm pretty thrilled it went that way. Now I just have to finish a few things when i get back to work in Jan so the OAuth APIs can actually be authenticated...

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

ItBurns posted:

Has a game studio finally attained the technological prowess needed to host a "publically available testing server" in this, the 2,013th Year of OUR LORD?

No, last I heard they're extra-limited alpha accounts that can only see one alpha forum and play WvW.

:q:

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

New billing system move is super exciting because our old one required a bunch of code on our side and had way too much downtime. Sad I'm missing the switchover, though not sad to miss the working on a Sunday bit.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

gandlethorpe posted:

How's that new TP coming along? (and baby I guess)

I haven't been at work since early Oct, so no clue! Depends on how this billing switchover went as the same folks are working on both for the commerce team.

I'll be back in Jan and see where things are at, though 2013 isn't seeming too likely at this point.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Delacroix posted:

Will this have any effect on the purchase history of gemstore items? I have a few items I would want remembered by the system because a support ticket basically amounted to "wait for restoration and ask then".

e:I suppose you're not kept in the loop, oh well. :(

Item purchase history is entirely on ArenaNet servers, and this won't change that at all.

This switchover is solely for changing who handles real money transactions for us. It'll lose you things like your existing saved credit card, but the gains should be tremendous in terms of new payment types we can accept. Europeans in particular with their millions of weird card types should be much better served by the new billing provider. Also, it has much smarter fraud detection systems so there should be way fewer random purchase failures, which everybody likes.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

That GW2 is a better game by far than GW1?

My thoughts exactly, and I played GW1.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

ShadowMoo posted:

I honestly think drop rates in this game are determined by how many of an item is still in the market currently.

Also I am trying out for a job as the pink power ranger

Looks like pinku Shredder.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

As if we'd ship a real dialog as a single texture, really people.

Man, its good to be back at work getting stuff done. Not the new TP, mind you. Though that is something we've got a dev working on almost full-time now!

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Brain In A Jar posted:

Strings? What do you mean strings?

Up until now we'd just exported all the text as massive jpegs.

Every so often we have to export images w/ text on them for the marketing site. Every time I just about pop a blood vessel with rage.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Too be fair, Jennah's the one responsible for the T&A bots.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Watchknight

Scarlet's just guilty of over-using them & then making a T&A Jaeger.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

We keep getting DDOSed with that NTP attack that is a huge PITA to mitigate :(

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Kessel posted:

edit - credit to Anet. They got back to me within the hour; apparently my account was compromised though I did take every precaution. Such is life on the Internet!

2-Factor Auth is your best internet friend!

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Ghostpilot posted:

I'd wager that most Anet employees don't know the precise time when a patch'll hit.

You'd lose that bet, FWIW. :)

Build's hitting this afternoon: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Escape-from-LA-Update

Edit: NapoleonAtWaterloo!! :argh:

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Yaos posted:

It looks like Guild Wars 2 is finally coming out in China. Closed beta starts on March 11th. It will not have a subscription fee, it will be buy to play just like in the US and Europe.
http://www.thirteen1.com/2014/02/28/guild-wars-2-subscription-model-revolutionary-china/

We have been quite busy!

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

37th Chamber posted:

The most important change in the patch:

You can finally use small UI size, and the fonts don't screw up on the trading post. That only took a year and a half.

Not wild about how long it took to get fixed, and it's caused some bugs that are a real PITA to track down but at least for the 85-90% use-case it's sorted out. ;-*

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

We don't run that Twitter account.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Kessel posted:

I'm not gonna lie - if it's just an update filled to the brim with nothing but quality of life improvements, I'll be a happy camper.

That's exactly what it is. Instead of dripping them out alongside living story updates we stuffed them all into a single feature pack.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Geekslinger posted:

Now about that promised TP update...

I've got two co-workers playing now who came over from WoW and both say their #1 complaint is that the TP sucks for filtering out unusable items to find stuff they can actually use.

Still happening! Here's the slightly-tortouous history of the new TP.

I specced out the architecture back in the beginning of 2013 & then built a barebones implementation. Not shippable, but enough to prove out the ideas on the technical side.

Unfortunately it was lower priority than a bunch of things like "make sure the BLTC isn't on fire" and "make sure we can take money" so work didn't start up in earnest until about... November? At that point it was only one person as well. It then lost out in a priority war with China preparation and so went dark again.

Starting late Jan/early Feb we put a proper team on it and they're full steam ahead on it.

We have other things on our plate but it has a ship date and we've got every intention of hitting it. That's not a guarantee that we will, but something would have to go very wrong for us to miss it.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Dulfy-wiki is amazing. Anyone got any good links on it?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST APRIL FOOL'S JOKE:

;-*

Edit: c'mon patch fassssster :f5h::haw:

Tivac fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 1, 2014

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

U.T. Raptor posted:

Everything else is crazy, and devourers just do not give a gently caress. It is the strangest goddamn thing.

Devourers probably don't have much of a head bone, if any.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

SERIOUS.BUSINESS.

:colbert:

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

I logged in and everything was normal. Laaaaame.

I had to re-log to see it at first.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Kessel posted:

... server details ...

:hfive: for server tech discussions, it is all intensely interesting. I don't work much w/ the game server stuff (unsurprisingly) but I love sitting in their meetings to learn more!

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I would kill a man to visit the GW2 datacentre and see the architecture. It's gotta be fascinating.

Our Tech Director is giving an internal talk tomorrow, "A Series of Less Egregious Lies" where he starts out at a really high level discussing the server architecture by making sweeping generalizations and then gets more and more specific. It's a really great talk, hoping he'll give it somewhere public someday.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

:siren: http://buy.guildwars2.com/ :siren:

Game's 50% off for a few days.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Dominic White posted:

Most of GW1's content was pretty simplistic height-map environments with scattered encounter groups, so it was a hell of a lot quicker and easier for them to churn out expansions like that. The level of detail on GW2 pretty much crushes any dreams of bi-annual expansions.

Just my personal opinion, but I think this is important. GW1 content was so much simpler than most of the GW2 content releases have been. The game as a whole was much simpler in every way short of skill interactions. If you don't like temporary content I understand the complaints but pretending that GW1 and GW2 are so similar that content should be released on a similar schedule is crazy.

Like most anonymous review sites Glassdoor is mostly people who were unhappy with the company. I wouldn't recommend using it as some sort of window into the rotten core of ArenaNet as IMO most of the negative things written there are completely untrue.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

ShadowMoo posted:

The glassdoor reviews about the state of their QA seems par for the industry tho.

I'd argue that we are better than most given the stories I've been told, but we definitely could be better. QA just instituted a really interesting change to how they do HR in an attempt to fix that. Time will tell if it works.

I <3 all the folks who do my QA, I always want to see them treated well as they're critical to us shipping products we can be proud of.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Sprite141 posted:

And let's be honest here, unless you hate your job defending your company is a perfectly natural reaction.

But enough about that, has anyone heard of anything actually content related getting released with the quality of life update? Or is it going to be a bunch of huge fixes and so on?

Edit:

Well if anything you won't be able to play a traditional WoW style MMO again after you start this.

It's quite specifically a bunch of fixes/new features to improve the game. AFAIK there's no new content coming on 4/15.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Illuyankas posted:

Joined a party for Arah 2 with my warrior, loaded in, internet died. Eventually it revives, I load up GW2, my character has gone from 58% world completion to 0% and autocrashes the game when I try to load in.

RIP Koss Kossson :C

you were too beautiful for this world

Definitely file a support ticket.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

FYI, https://account.guildwars2.com/reset-password is enabled again.

It's a long story.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

37th Chamber posted:

I've got all the time in the world, let's have story time :allears:

How did it take 16 months to get an emailer back online?

It worked the entire time, we just shut it off because so many people had already had their email compromised. We're less of an account hacking target now so giving it another shot.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Schpyder posted:

Were you guys affected by the OpenSSL bug?

No, we run all HTTPs traffic through IIS which is unaffected by Heartbleed.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Trebuchet King posted:

If you go to the grove it seems you lose the ability to use the chat channels.

Yeah, it's being looked into.

MEGASERVERS enabled on Black Citadel and Heart of the Mists now, btw. It's bonkers.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

More MEGASERVER maps are being enabled at 12:15!

Harathi Hinterlands
Fireheart Rise
Snowden Drifts
Mount Maelstrom
Malchor's Leap

MEGASERVER ALL THE THINGS

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Kessel posted:

It's probably because they changed payment processors. Have you tried buying gems since the changeover to Digital River?

Getting off the legacy billing platform we were on continues to be the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Lyer posted:

Any word on when the next update is? I burned out and am taking a break, but new content almost always brings me back.

Nothing announced yet afaik, shouldn't be too much longer here. We launched Headstart in China today, so things are a bit busy in the office atm.

• Locked thread