Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Signed up to SFD and whatnot, I got Guild Wars a few months ago but never really got into it so I figured I'd join up, transfer to Maguuma and see what was up. But with me being in Europe there's not always people on when I am, and I'd like to get into the fun PvP stuff but I'm still only level 17 on my first character (Asura elementalist) and currently stuck on one of my story missions because I'm too squishy to survive it. I tried WvW for a little bit but I had no idea what I was doing. Edge of the Mists is a wee bit chaotic and I didn't have a clue what was going on, and the other maps were empty? But I get the feeling that what I was actually doing was just waiting in between rounds so that's nobody's fault but mine I guess!

Point is, what's the best way to not suck? I have a feeling that the social content would really make this game for me but timezones and my own character being so low level seems like they're both gonna make this difficult for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Well, PvP seems like it'd be fun once I get the hang of it and I have some time to kill today! Thanks guys, I'll give that a shot! If any of you see Farrah Vionna around in PvP-land, come say hi and please excuse my incompetence.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

From what I've noticed in my short time with SFD, there aren't always scheduled dungeon runs or anything but if you ask in guild chat, people are generally pretty happy to come along with you. I had some great fun the other day with some SFD goons in a dungeon that I was way below the recommended level for, but they kept me alive and answered my silly questions and didn't take it personally that I'm not that great at this game yet. Just ask! Someone will be happy to come with you!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So my current character is my first one and I just got her up to level 62, is now a good time to start caring about builds or should I hold off for now? I've just been putting points into whatever looks good at the moment, and carrying around a staff because I've always used one and I'm used to the range/damage on those but I could stand to do something else if it would be more effective and fun!

I'm an elementalist (Asura, if it matters) and so far I've been focusing mainly on fire for damage, and switching into water when I need to heal myself/other people. I'd like to continue doing that but there are almost definitely better ways to be going about that even now, so do any of you guys have any advice for me, keeping my level in mind?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

The first time I got on mumble with SFD was saturday night during guild quests and I accused Arus of messing with me when he was just trying to help me be a spider. Then I stayed up way too late talking about snack foods and ferrets.

What I'm getting at is that you need to get on mumble with SFD, its really fun and everyone is super nice :3:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Yes! If you ask in guild chat, people will generally be up for just about anything. I am literally the worst at this game but the SFD guys on the whole are seriously some of the most patient people I've ever met and most people are super happy to help you out if you need it!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So I just hit 80 a couple of days ago and finally got access to Dry Top and the living story stuff. I hopped over the the new area because it looks super neat but its a little overwhelming, there's a lot to do and everyone seems to already know where everything is and what's going on at what times. What's the best way to get started with all the events here if you only just arrived?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Mind over Matter posted:

Would joining the goon squad be worth it for someone who just wants to muck around and occasionally run dungeons? (I love Dental too, my only good STO memories but I can't go back.) How should I go about facilitating that, if so? I have no clue how to see if the people listed earlier in the game are online at any given time.

I know a lot of other people answered your question already but I just want to add my words to theirs too; SFD are really cool, nice and patient people. Its definitely worth it to join up no matter what you intend to do in the game. My time in the game is generally spent being dead, falling off things, laughing at myself in mumble, holding up guild missions by not having the waypoints I need/being bad at being a spider and being revived by Vas in Mani and nobody has ever thought any less of me or made fun of me for it.

And on the subject of dungeons, again, I'm one of the least competent people ever when it comes to this game and I've never been (or felt) unwelcome when someone in the guild asks for folks to join in a dungeon run. People have been super nice and are generally willing to answer questions from a first-timer too! Plus, dungeon-ing with SFD folks is really fun, all of the ones I've done have ended with dance parties in the boss room and despite loving up on bosses 2-3 times, people are really chill about things.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Okay, couple of questions for the thread!

First of all, my current character is my first and only character on this game, I've learned the game with her. But as a result I am so ridiculously unoptimised/underpowered that its frustrating. I was trying to go through the first episode of this LS stuff earlier so I could have it all done and I had to quit the second mission because I'd died so much that all my armour broke. Every single piece. So I want to try and actually pay attention to my traits and whatnot but I don't know where to start. Farrah is an elementalist, currently running with a scepter/dagger weapon set which I hear is not the best unless you manage your traits - which I haven't because I have no clue what the hell I'm doing. I've gotten out of my habit of constantly staying in fire attunement and I've learned to switch between them as the situation needs it, I also occasionally switch to staff because the healing is better and its better for crowd control. I just need a bit of advice I guess on how I can be a little more effective and die less.

Secondly, I've been told that learning the game with an elementalist was basically asking for failure, or at least a harder time than necessary. I think it'd be fun to level another class but since I've only ever played elementalist I have no idea what might click with me. I like high damage characters which is why I went with an elementalist at first but I get frustrated with how squishy I am a lot of the time. In other games I tend to play support classes (my GW1 main is a ritualist and I love that class so much) so guardian was also an option but I'm also aware that I suck at this game and I don't want a team to rely on me. Also I hear they're pretty squishy too. I don't know much about the other classes really but based on this stuff, what do you guys recommend I try?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Mesmer seems neat but trust me, I'm in no position to be portalling anyone anywhere.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys! I've decided to try out a ranger for a little bit and see how that goes. Being level 3 again is very very weird. If that doesn't work out, I'll try another class until something clicks and we'll see how it goes! I have one of those scrolls that instantly bumps you to level 20 from my birthday box so I figure I'll use that when I find something I like!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Thanks to all the kind dentists who helped me out with my elementalist build/gear and taught me that combos are a thing that exists and how to do them! I'm actually a lot less squishy now and spending much less time on the floor so thanks guys!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Roach Warehouse posted:

It always bugged me on my Asura character when I progressed out of the non-racial PS chapters and all the tech or magic inclined people went from treating me as the Snaff Savant to some mouthbreathing illiterate.

Good news then! I don't pay a huge amount of attention to the dialogue because I didn't participate in S1 so I have no clue who these people are or why I should care about them but if you're Asura, Taimi does make a few comments about how awesome you both are when you're looking at stuff in Scarlet's old hideout in Prosperity. Asura master race etc

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Speaking of, how did EU WvWednesday go, I've not heard anything more about it in this thread past the initial announcement that it was a thing, did it even happen? Either way, I would've showed up to do fun things like suck at jumping and fall off the edge of the mists but I'm super sick :(

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Okay, I have gotten two characters stuck in loading screens within half an hour of each other. The first time, two of my characters got stuck in Queensdale so I tried all the fixes, I deleted some random local file in my appdata, I tried guesting on a different server, I logged in on another character that wasn't stuck, then logged out and tried to log back in and nothing worked until I repaired the .exe with some instructions that I got from here.

I managed to fix it. Then got the exact same thing five minutes later in Metrica Province, once again all the characters I tried to get into the area got stuck and once again only repairing the .exe fixed it. This has only started happening within the past week or so, does anyone know what causes it and how to prevent it?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Visidan posted:

Dang that sucks, contact support see if they can help.

I fixed it! Seems like its an IP issue so if you're having the same problems as I had, either use a VPN or reset your router to refresh your IP and it should get you unstuck.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So my girlfriend finally got into the game after weeks of me hounding her to try it and she's realised that she likes to play it as a grindy collectathon. What's she collecting? Map completion!

She plans to go through every newbie area at first and then go from there once she's finished them all and I intend to go with her to help with the nasty critters she might encounter along the way. Her favourite part by far is the vistas, she sees them as a kind of puzzle I guess, and most of them are! So where should I suggest she go next that has some nice and challenging vistas to collect?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I told her to join after you guys helped us through the jumping puzzle in metrica province but she's lazy and keeps forgetting to actually do it! I'll poke her again about it tomorrow though!

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! I'm sure she'll have lots of fun trying to carry me up to these vistas!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Today in WvW Daytime/EU Edition: Cats, Jumping Puzzles and Goat Extermination Squad

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

jaegerx posted:

Ah you got to see the kitty room?

Yes we did! We did the jumping puzzle first - or rather everone else did the jumping puzzle and I got portalled through most of it - and then headed to the kitty room. It was super cute, and I was on skype with my girlfriend at the time (the dork in the middle of cheering in the first picture, and the only one there who was not SFD) making really dumb noises because it really was adorable. My kitty died on Tuesday so in a weird way it really cheered me up :3:

Afterwards, we harassed goats in the Sea of Sorrows borderlands and from what I gathered from guild chat at the time, listened to Abba on mumble. It was a fun time!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I bought my commander tag today so SFD celebrated by getting together in EoTM for cake, pie, booze and fireworks, and starting a procession to an island which we then claimed for our own. A good time was had by all.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

My character had her birthday about a month ago and I can confirm that you still get the mini Queen. That's a first birthday box though, it might be different for a second!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I'd like to thank the entire guild for shlepping my changed-into-a-devourer rear end through the Rush last night. Everybody in SFD was incredibly patient while I killed myself in trap after trap.

"Tanax, just stop and let your 1 skill recharge. It's OK."
*dies*
"Tanax, even though it's called a Rush, you don't need to, y'know, rush. Play tactically."
*dies*
*dies*
*dies*
*dies*
*dies*
*dies*

Yep, this was my first guild rush experience too. With added "Farrah, dodge the thing!" *Farrah does not dodge/avoid the thing* "Nooo, Farrah!" and bonus me not listening to Arus at all about when to use my 2 skill because I thought he was actively trying to get me killed.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Holy poo poo I need that Dreamcleaver axe, its so pretty!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

It really was a super fun time, we learned a lot about friendship, unity, teamwork, and each others ability to sing Disney songs. Looking forward to next week!

Also my favourite part of that picture is that one super confused looking cat mini.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Saw this on tumblr and thought some of you would appreciate it! There's this blog and they write recipes for foods in games! Here's one for Dragon's Revelry Starcake! and they have a bunch of other GW2 based recipes too!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I dunno, I kinda like these changes a bit. As someone who didn't play in the beta and learned the game surrounded by people who already knew it inside out, I would've killed for a bit more direction as to the systems in play; my best example is that I've been playing an elementalist for a year now and only just found out a couple of months ago that those little hearts that pop up sometimes aren't notifications of conditions I've inflicted (which is what I thought it was) but a combo field, which is apparently super important for elementalists and is only ever mentioned in the game once in a tooltip and never again.I'd wager that that's not the only system that's super important to playing; for example, conditions aren't very well explained unless you go looking. What exactly does vunerability do? A new player won't know and the game doesn't go out of its way to tell you. Why is +condition damage gear bad for certain classes? Why is staff bad for levelling?

With all due respect, I think a lot of you are forgetting what its like to not know anything about this game.I appreciate that in some small way, new players will be getting some of that information that was completely hidden to me, it'll make the game a lot less frustrating for some folk!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

If the GW2 expansion is even half as adorable as the Mario Kart expansion, I'll happily wait forever for it :3:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Tonight was hella fun, although I might not have picked the best song to sing as we were getting our asses handed to us. I fully intend on learning more Disney songs for next week, and more terrible, terrible jokes to annoy everyone with.

Also thanks to the SFD Mesmer Squad for helping my dumb rear end through the Obsidian Sanctum jumping puzzle! No dentist was left behind and it was fun times for all!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Kazoo posted:

Search for Dwayna and crash

Searching for rutabaga gets me a crash too - at least I think it does, I get as far as typing ru and then it crashes pretty reliably

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So I'm levelling a ranger at the minute and I'm absolutely loving it, so much that I decided to use the one experience scroll I had to bump her to 20 as soon as possible. As usual I have a couple of questions though!

- Since I'm running with a longbow as my main weapon I decided I want a close range weapon as my alternate, currently trying out greatsword but I find it a little too slow compared to my main weapon. What's a good weapon set to have along with my bow? I'm thinking dagger/something but I know nothing about rangers so I don't know what's good.

- Healing skills! I'm used to playing Farrah who heals whenever she's casting a spell and has a panic button known as "press F3 to switch to water attunement" which combined with cleansing wave makes it pretty easy to get her out of a tight spot if she absolutely needs to. I realise there won't be an equivalent for rangers because that's just not how they work but what's a good one to go for for Ina? I'm still only at level 23 or so so I can't really trait up for another few levels, I gotta rely on slot skills for now.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I was in Caledon Forest earlier levelling my new ranger and the mapchat was intolerable, just a bunch of people whining and bitching about the new changes because "waaaah it makes levelling an alt annoying" and yeah that's a little frustrating and they'll probably change that if you have an 80 on your account but I just want to beat these people over the head with a sign that says these changes weren't meant for you in big neon letters. Is the majority of the playerbase really so short-sighted that they can't comprehend a change being made to the game for anyone's benefit other than their own?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Thanks to the kind goons who dragged my rear end through fractals last night, and who were so patient while I took my sweet time walking up those planks! Having done it with not-pubbies I can safely say that it was a lot of fun and I'm totally up for doing it again sometime :3:

Also I finally got a new headset so for next WvWednesday my traditional Disney singalong will not be coming at you through a lovely galaxy tab microphone and the buggy mess that is Mumble Android!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

To everyone who was in fractals with me tonight: I am so, so sorry for inflicting that upon you. If you have nightmares tonight just remember that it was all my idea.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Farrah at level 2!

Farrah at level 80, with the chair that carried me through Arah story mode!

It was Don

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

The bad news is that I may have spent all my money today on dye packs and mystic toilet shenanigans after I found out you can throw dyes in there but the good news is that I unlocked both Celestial and Electro Purple

I am the prettiest princess

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Yep! You can throw dyes in the mystic forge the same way you can with weapons/armour! Now I have something to do with all my extra dyes when I go on a dye pack binge!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I am so proud of everyone and their pretty princessing abilities! You all looked beautiful!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I had to double check for a sec there that it wasn't my girlfriend making that post :downs: I also somehow got an elementalist to level 80 and I have no clue what I'm doing and am in fact awful at this game. The whole experience had made levelling my ranger alt super easy in comparison though!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Why doesn't anyone make the scepter legendary? I've never seen it used in game but I want more than anything aside from maybe The Dreamer.

I'm going to do it one day! The bifrost is cool and all (and also has significantly more rainbows) but as a scientist I just can't say no to carrying a tiny planet around everywhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Thanks to everyone for coming along, and Mesmer Asura for not only playing the cheesiest music Eurovision has to offer but also for playing Lordi for me despite clearly hating every second and for not yelling at me when I accidentally called him Lazy :downs:

Also thanks to everyone for playing along with my theme tonight! For those who don't know, October is breast cancer awareness month so I decided to dye my characters armour and hair pink for the entire month, and pre-emptively donated £1 for each day in October (that's £31 total) to the MacMillan Cancer charity! I invited SFD to join me in my pinkness and they delivered! So thanks guys for playing along with me, I super appreciate it! :3:

Also also thanks to the Farrah Portal Squad for dragging my slow rear end through Obsidian Sanctum which I did for the first time today with no portals to the end! I only got portals when I fell off a thing, and this is the first JP that I've actually been able to do mostly on my own. Everyone cheered for me at the end :3: I love all you guys

• Locked thread