Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
See what I'm waiting for here is the inventory. After the last one, I'm expecting a zip gun or a Makarov, a bladed or blunt instrument with blood on it, a beer case from a no-longer-available brand of beer filled with cheap skin mags from the 70s, and at least one bone of possibly hominid origin. I'm expecting true gold here especially since you spoke of difficulty opening the trunk!

This is the sort of thing that makes me say "What are you doing with your dick and that ball-peen hammer?!?" but you sort of beat me to that punch in the OP, so all I'll say now is that I'm glad you have such commitment to our entertainment value for our tenbux!

Truly, though, good luck with this little thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Cars in general, even to some degree American landboats, were smaller and considerably lighter back then.

Eh? In 1973 they sold the largest regular-production car ever offered in the US. That year's 4-door Imperials were Nineteen feet Nine inches. That's about two inches longer than a modern Dodge 2500 Six-pack longbox. There was a move for smaller cars around '76 or so, and another in '86, the latter so bad that cars in general became so light and flimsy that deaths through traffic accidents went up! But 13"'s car was absolutely expected to be on the road against some of the biggest, heaviest cars ever to ply the roads.

If I had a hardon for cars that make MR2s look like Yachts I'd be looking into beefing up the frame and filling the body panels with some sort of foam or conrete or something just so that if I ever had an accident with it I wouldn't end up as a canned ham. I've had an MR2 and I've driven lots of small cars, and the problem with them and me is, though, that they make me a dickhead. When I can scoot in anywhere and get places in traffic, parking spots, gas pumps, etc., I do, and gently caress everybody else! I can't imagine how many people I'd piss off with a car like this. My Saab is just big enough not to trigger this reflex in me.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Guys... it's been several days since we've heard from 13"... I think she ate him. :(

If he's dead I lobby to have the Country Boner song played at his funeral. That thing is so drat catchy that it will be his legacy amongst everyone reading the thread.

InitialDave posted:

Or he dreamt it all.

:nws:

Wow. Something significantly worse than the thing that came to my mind, which was the spider/woman hybrid from Wicked City. Go ahead and Google that if the comic didn't bother you.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
My dad successfully taught my mom to drive stick (they're still together). He gave her the basics, set her loose in a big, empty parking lot, and went to sit under a tree and smoke cigarettes, while occasionally shouting "Foot Hand!" when he deemed it necessary. Any more involvement is a definite risk.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Did anyone else's parents let them change gears from when they were like 8 years old? My dad loved to do that with me so when I first got behind the wheel of a stick-shift car I had the slight advantage of knowing how the shifter was supposed to work. My first time properly driving a stick was my Ex's MR2, which is a great car to learn stick on as it's very well behaved and has a buttery smooth hydraulic clutch. After that I got thrown into the deep end and learned it properly on a '78 Ford F600 with air-over-hydraulic brakes, an inline six and a three-plus-low "rock crusher" transmission with an approximately 600 pound return spring on its decidedly not hydraulic clutch.

Best learning-to-drive-stick story came from a girl I used to know whose mother parked her clapped-out Chevy Beretta on a steep hill and told her "Once you can start off without rolling backwards you've learned to drive."

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

SierraEchoBravo posted:

My Audi doesn't have cupholders that fit jack all. Drink sizes tend to be smaller in Europe anyway. I broke my day cupholder with my coffee mug one morning. ECS wanted $180 for a new one. My buddy just gave me his when his A4 finally bit the dust. Gotta have my gallon of coffee
damnit.

I have a Saab, which has probably the worst cup holder ever (not counting the 1.5" deep molded jokes on the inside of the glove box of certain old Chevy trucks). It's really clever; you push a little button and some fancy clockworks do their thing and a little ring spits out of the dash and then flips completely over and drops down a little ledge to rest the cup on. It's amazingly fragile (I've had the car not two years and I'm on my second cup holder) and I only use it to hold the ash tray because that's something else that apparently you simply can't get any more. My Suburban has seating for 8 and only one ash tray. The windows in the far back don't even open, WTF are they supposed to do back there, eat the ashes? (I bought a bunch of "Butt Buckets"; even sprang for the fancy ones with cigar rests. What do my friends do? I loan the truck out, because when you own a truck you will end up loaning it out, and those drat things get nicked every time. I've had it so long that now all of it's an ash tray, though (another joy of truck ownership; eventually it reaches a stage where you don't have to care about the interior any more).

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Even when I smoked I didn't do it in the car, because ash is gross and the smell two days later after a rain was gross. Same with the one friend I had that smoked. I mean, to each his own, but sometimes if the majority of the population doesn't smoke (and half of those that do will pretend they don't in certain public situations) features like ashtrays go by the wayside. Just means you have to get a bit creative, really.

Eh, I get that some people smell it, but I just don't. My dad has always smoked, so I grew up around it. I have to get my nose down in an ash tray to really get the smell of it, and even that doesn't really bother me. Now if someone's smoking nasty-rear end cheap cigarettes, I can tell the difference between those and something that's just plain tobacco (I try to always smoke additive-free cigarettes, no point in making something like that even more dangerous). But it's still something like 25% of the population smokes, and one in four just seems like an awful lot of the population to raise the middle finger to, figuratively speaking.

I do get the creative bit, the best impromptu ash tray is the big aluminium drink bottles that "Jolt" used to come in, now I think some of those battery-acid-tasting energy drinks come in them; they're the ones that look like a cylinder of refrigerant and have a twist-off aluminium top. They're gas-tight and you can even fit a whole cigar in one, if you've been unlucky enough to buy/be given a truly awful cigar. Which I was. I turned 18 and promptly bought the cheapest cigar in the Mobil Oil in downtown Lowell. It wasn't very nice, let's just say.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

blk posted:

I know you want a Biturbo but you may consider this fine alternative: http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4508443772.html

I'll second the "meh". It would be much, much better if it had the stick; I understand that the combo of the V-6 and the stick made it rather spritely, or at least a far cry from the horrid pig that the 3-speed 4-cyl jobs were.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Haven't had to do that to any spiders, thankfully; the dangerous ones don't live near to me. I absolutely have done it to wasps, though. I knew the ammo can in the trunk once had had a big ol' can of wasp killer in it, but when I needed it it wasn't there. There was a can of WD-40, though, and I did what I had to do. Crisped the wings right off the little fuckers with only a tiny blast which didn't injure the truck they had taken up residence in.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
I suppose this qualifies now; cars of a certain age would be fitted with vacuum-operated wipers, as engine vacuum was used to operate many accessories in days of yore, especially power seats and windows. To my knowledge, at least, in certain cars with vacuum operated wipers the wipers would slow down almost to a stop when the car was at idle, adding extra fun to starting off in heavy rain (Highway travel was no problem as there would never be an overdrive). Hell, I suspect more than a few of you have never met a car where you step on a little rubber whoozits to squirt washer-fluid onto the windshield from a rubber bag! The rubber bag was stamped with a message telling you to use only fluid from the dealership. I haven't bought many car parts from dealerships, though, so I can't say if you asked for such fluid today would they laugh at you or happily sell you a gallon of it for $7.99.

Speaking of floor-buttons, early radios with a "seek" function would sometimes put that specific function on a floor button. I suspect that you could find a car where there are no fewer than five tasks for the left foot: Beam Dip, Radio Seek, Windshield Washer, Clutch and Parking Brake. Also five pedals is possible too, as the washer squirter was sometimes placed high on the firewall and operated with a pedal. If you had a small car and tromped on the washer thing, you could shoot washer fluid onto the car behind you. Good fun if someone in an open car is giving you poo poo.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Rectal Placenta posted:

Man, gauges that show the amount of TURBO! are the best.

What's getting me is the contrast of that against the fact that the rest of the gauges spell out what unit they're in, with no indication of too much or too few, while the boost gauge is off doing its own thing with no units (I sincerely doubt that a given original buyer for this car has any frame of reference for kilograms per square centimetre as on the oil pressure dial) and instead a yellow/red kinda-bad/bad thing going on. I wish I could say that the boost gauge in my SAAB somehow made more sense, but it too just says "Turbo", and, while it only has a red zone, the manual explicitly says that the needle might go into the red zone during normal operation, and that it's only bad if it goes there and stays there. I don't actually know if it does this, as I have to say that my attention is usually elsewhere when I think it might go into the red.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Its not just depression. Most days I get done what I need to get done but the thought of being with anyone else cripples me with horrifying anxiety attacks. The closest I can describe it is what people who suffer from PTSD describe. Last night was another long night of dreams about her. How happy we would have been i I waited, how terrible it was before. Dreams about watching her die over and over in my arms and then nightmares accusing me of not doing enough or being good enough. Woke up in sweats three or four times.

They used to call PTSD "Shell Shock" -it came from the British troops in the trenches of WWI. Here were these men, the sword arm of the mightiest empire on Earth, the ones whose job it was to make the King's will real, and they were cowering in trenches in the earth, unable to do anything to stop the shelling attacks. Ordinarily in a fight you can, well, fight. You can do something to influence the outcome. But in these conditions, they could do nothing. There is no defense against a shell and to come over the trenches was to be cut down by machine gun fire.. It is that feeling, of having something terrible happening to you, to your comrades, to your friends, and to be able to do nothing at all about it, that leads to "Shell Shock", so yeah, it makes sense to me, at least. Hang in there dude.

Also shouldn't that jacket have only one sleeve?

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I'm not necessarily going to say way ahead of you but spoiler alert

It wasn't food :(

Like, the "Not part of what the typical western man considers food" kind of Not Food, like cattle blood or insect larva or, indeed, part of yourself or another, or the "In no way compatible with human biology" kind of Not Food, like phenolic resin, aluminium and photochemicals? Inquiring minds want to know.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Here, have something funny to take your minds off of cat problems:
:nws: (ads on site, not video itself)
http://www.orsm.us/v/update20150827/drinking-engine-oil-and-eating-grease-will-make-you-run-beautifully.mp4

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

14 INCH DICK posted:

WELCOME TO CAMARO, WE GOT FUN AND GAMES

https://youtu.be/XsVjuV_XlOg

I am from New Jersey. This is still cool.

Handles like a boat, well goddamn, it's a Camaro. It's not a car, it's a Cruise Missile with a 14" Expanding-Rod Warhead! :perfect:

Looks like it's time to hit the junk yards, there should be lots of options that the $490 that bought the slushbox should have gone for instead. There's something especially sad about cars where an automatic is optioned but little else is, and something especially magical about being able to rectify that condition. Have fun!

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

For gently caress's sake stop prescribing medication before there's a diagnosis, you non-doctors. 14" might actually take your advice.

Might? Might??? He smoked what was, best-case scenario drugs of unknown provenance and in all likelihood was, in fact, an owl turd simply because we told him to; he'd down a bottle of anything Smith, Kline & French or Roche Labs ever made simply because it was placed in front of him.

In all seriousness, glad to hear that good ol' 14" Dick is on the mend.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Cock Sucker!
I mean, it's not like it has air conditioning; you could just bypass the heater core and do without climate control altogether.

Wait, you died and made it to The Happy Isle?

An old arsenal?

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I also made an attendant at Home Depot completely just dip out when he came across me in the flashlight section asked if I needed help and I said no I have a flashlight fetish and he just turned and walked off before I could save it

You'll probably like this then. Ribbed for her pleasure.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

This sounds like it could be the music for a level in Doom.

Apparently we live in a world where the camera in my telephone takes better pictures than a digital camera from... oh gently caress. 1999 was seventeen years ago. The mind reels.

Sometimes, when you want to show off, you just have to break out the ruler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Which goon was it that used to be a repo man tow-truck driver? I want to say Motronic but he's had every other career.

Trouser Chili?

I don't remember but I remember one guy did an Ask/Tell thread about it and said he carried a Kalashnikov rifle in his car and while he never had to use it on anybody, he did have to pull it out a few times...

• Locked thread