Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Oh man it doesn't even have door cards.

Yeah, those should be easy to find.

meatpimp posted:

Did you at least make money on the CV?

If I recall correctly from misc chat, this steaming pile cost more than what he got for it.

14, you must be doing this for our entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

13 INCH DICK posted:

Look guys it will be different this time

Thread title.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

Thanks!

How do you fix something like that? Tap it for the next size up bolt?

That won't really work, as the pump flange won't have a hole big enough for a larger bolt.

You drill it larger and install a threaded insert like a helicoil or a timsert. You get one threaded for what the bolt is supposed to be (threaded on the inside) and it's.....some larger size on the outside.

The kits come with the proper drill bit and tap for the larger size, so you drill it out (carefully, it needs to be centered and perpendicular) and then screw the insert in with some thread locker (there is a tool to help you thread it in). And, bam....you got new threads of the proper size.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rscott posted:

They might test you as a condition of getting hired but most places aren't going to randomly test you unless they're really anal about it or you're in some position where you're doing things that you absolutely should be sober for.

Like driving, operating heavy machinery, or a device that produces enough heat to start a fire...........

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

astrollinthepork posted:

Details please

He got picked up in his old car, which is still running properly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

It is possible for flat rate to help mechanics too. One of my top techs can do the same jobs in half the time as my second tech. Would it be fair to pay him less because he has more skill and experience and can do the work faster?

No, it wouldn't be. In many businesses we adjust for this by modifying the hourly pay rate or salary of the employee as appropriate.

This means said employee's compensation is not at the whims of their manager as to what jobs they do or do not get and utilizing said employee appropriate to their compensation costs is left to the management, who's job it is to do this kind of thing.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 30, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

I think we all know that you do, and $300 is worth it for a DII since you could more than make your money back just parting the fucker out when it drowns in its own fluids.

You could make $300 if you sold the block and body panels for scrap aluminum.

All that's left to decide is if you have the space/time to part something out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

13 INCH DICK posted:

Why was the heat most concentrated in the radiator like that? I mean I get its purposes but usually its cooler than the engine being away from the heat source.

When you stop moving and the heat load starts to sink from the coolant to the things around it the radiator is going to do it first/most effectively.

So basically everything was at least 250. But you weren't reading direct coolant temps - you were reading the temps of things that have coolant in them with very different heat transfer properties.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Rubbing wet, bunched-up aluminum foil on those overrider brackets (and all of your chrome, for that matter) would get rid of a lot of that surface rust and leave you with a surprisingly shiny surface.

Which would then rust again just as bad the next time it's left out in the rain. Or you could get a month or so if you wax it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Yep, same thing as the wheels... they're just going to get dirty again, so why bother.

Dirt is not the same thing as rust.

I live in the northeast. I know what I'm talking about.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You're supposed to open the door and fall out of the car while screaming MY CHECKNECK!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

13 INCH DICK posted:

an honest accident, and no real damage done. She was freaking the gently caress out pretty bad so after I verified everything seemed to be still attached I told her to not worry about it and have a nice day since I'm not a dick

13 INCH DICK posted:

Ugh I still haven't made it off the couch it hurts

I hope you exchanged information, or at least have her tag number. Now is the time to call your doctor and insurance company.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cakefool posted:

There are other biturbos, they may be in better condition, they may be affordable when you consider what this will take to get running reliably.

Someone is selling a biturbo on a rollback as a package deal?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That really doesn't look like it should work at all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Larrymer posted:

I've never had good luck getting an alignment for a modded car at any chain shop.

I don't know why but the Firestone near me hasn't had an issue with the 944 even giving them my specs. In fact, one time I asked for a front only and the tech just did a 4 wheel "because it was a little off so why not" and didn't charge for it. Of course, I make sure all of the poo poo they need to touch actually moves before I bring it in on anything, and I think the techs recognize that by now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Probably some sort of special galvanic corrosion in the turbo cooling system combined with exotic Italian construction materials ending up with flammable coolant.

Coolant? Don't they use the incoming fuel to cool the turbos?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

I was using the thread to introduce my coworker to AI and noticed this post from when I bought the car and just wanted to say I never changed it yet.

That appears to be the one that is speced for my Kohler Magnum 20HP 2 cyinder on the mower.

I'm not surprised.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What is that? A blender motor?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bolind posted:

What's the asking price on that thing again?

The seller is offering to give him $500 to take it away.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

A tach could be more useful than a speedometer with that combo.

And a clock or hour glass probably even more useful than those.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nm posted:

Modern cars are not designed for cooling without A/C (convertibles excepted).

I loving love driving on the highway in my older-than-most-of-you 944 with the windows open and even better the sunroof open of off.

Cars simply aren't designed for this anymore. The old mechanics tale of AC being worse on fuel economy than opening the windows on newer cars is absolute bullshit. Things are designed for max efficiency (at all costs) with the windows up.

You can't open the windows in much of anything new above 40 anymore without noise and or super annoying buffeting.

I'll just stay back in my day and be happy. I still wear an onion on my belt. And want the tilty vent windows you can flick you cigarette out of like on 70s trucks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That. Was. Awesome.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Are you in service position yet? And if so, who's standing behind you?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Of all ridiculous Americanisms, this is the one that I truly don't understand. All cider is alcoholic, that's how it works. Otherwise it's apple juice.

Cider vs. "Hard Cider" is actually a tax construct based on ABV (7% or over, but may be labeled as just "cider" if you also put required wine labeling on it).

These regulations brought to you by the same agency that did this:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That is 100% perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Which goon was it that used to be a repo man tow-truck driver? I want to say Motronic but he's had every other career.

Trouser Chili?

I set up the data center for the scummy tote 'yo note chain of car lots that would sell and repo the same car like 4 or 5 times and went out with the repo guys on occasion for laughs. That part was never an actual job, just hilarious fun with a bunch of 300 lb 6' 4" good 'ol boys ("Here, you take the shotgun for this one.")

• Locked thread