Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Can someone remind me if the games ever acknowledged what a dick move it was for Phoenix to have Trucy give fake evidence to Apollo, or something like that, in AA4?

I vaguely remember that being a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

univbee posted:

The first case solution (time difference) is tweaked in English so the game's local time is U.S. Eastern (I think), and in French to be Parisian time.

US Pacific, actually. :v: See all the jokes about Los Angeles/Japanifornia.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Strange Quark posted:

See all the jokes about Los Angeles/Japanifornia.

It's even funnier in french. Enjoy french federal courts!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

CuddlyZombie posted:

That was a thing in the middle of the tutorial case. Afterwards, when he figures it out, Apollo briefly accuses Nick of it being proof that he did forge evidence when he got disbarred. Then it never gets brought up again.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I honestly got the impression Phoenix went loose in that instance because:

A) It would ensure the villain of that case would be caught and ideally not present any further threat to society.

B) The only way for said villain to prove it was fake would've practically guaranteed that they would admit to their direct involvement in the crime scene, and from there their guilt.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Trademarked posted:

What time will this be released on the eShop?

I'm hoping midnight tonight. :pray:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Holy loving poo poo that demo. So.. Pearly is in this game? There's no way they can not give me closure on Maya then, also,

Edgeworth!!!!! :swoon:

Pity Apollo's wounds are only temporary though, he looks cool.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Strange Quark posted:

US Pacific, actually. :v: See all the jokes about Los Angeles/Japanifornia.

Ahh, that's what it was. I just realized that it's probably been something like 6 or more years since I played the original Ace Attorney so I had forgotten the specifics. I do remember Lotta Heart was from Marseilles, though. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh god. I've already got my debit card out to buy and play the poo poo out of this. It's not even 12 hours until it's released and the wait is already intolerable :(

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I don't care who isn't returning as long as Wendy Oldbag is one of them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8j-HYKjqtI

Get hyped, people. It might just be less than half an hour away if some sources are to be believed, otherwise it'll be 12 hours from then!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Powered through the 4 main games for this. Only got up to 2-3 before so 2-4 to 3-5 was magical. I actually didn't mind the main character change in 4 though I'm unsure why they needed to gently caress over Phoenix to do so(though I'm sure this topic has already been done to death and he's back anyway so yaaaay). 4-1 was fun and I really liked 4-2(underwear being the decisive cornerstone evidence of the entire case is AA as gently caress). 4-3 wasn't THAT bad untLET'S SEE THAT VIDEO AGAIN. AGAIN. TAKAMI'S INCREDIBLE BONER FOR VIDEO CLUES HUNGERS. 4-4 feels like a few different ideas smashed together awkwardly and rushed out.

I'm not really interested in AAI because I'm sad at the lack of courtroom prosecuting. I want to take on slimy defense attorneys with forged evidence and crooked mob bosses hiding behind the law, culminating in a battle with Phoenix Wright who shatters your entire carefully-prepared case by pointing out a water bottle 5 inches out of place and an intense cross-examination of the victim's pet cat, Mr. Snuggles.

Anyway, waiting impatiently for the release. It looks like the return of ridiculous courtroom shenanigans(wicked air guitar increasing your penalty was close, but just not the same) and I am totally stoked for that. I've missed the mix of quick-wit, balls, and outright stupidity that Phoenix brings to the table. GET THAT PARROT ON THE STAND I HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW THE TRUTH.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Yinlock posted:

GET THAT PARROT ON THE STAND I HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW THE TRUTH.

Will an orca suffice? Because we're going to defend one in the DLC.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8j-HYKjqtI

Get hyped, people. It might just be less than half an hour away if some sources are to be believed, otherwise it'll be 12 hours from then!

I clicked this link without noticing it was a 30 minute version. Guess what I'm listening to for the next half hour. :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's been almost four years since AAI came out. I NEED more murder mystery gaming. The only thing that's done even a little to scratch that particular itch since then was Layton Brothers.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Honestly the best of cross-examining the parrot isn't that you do it, but that Von Karma had coached the parrot beforehand.

Waffleman_ posted:

I kind of hope it isn't tonight because I already haven't been getting much sleep this week :v:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I wanna go to sleep but the possibility of Phoenix Wright compels me to stay.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Doesn't look like it's out at this time. Here's something to tide you over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7y2JR___tg

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Can someone remind me if the games ever acknowledged what a dick move it was for Phoenix to have Trucy give fake evidence to Apollo, or something like that, in AA4?

It was revenge for Kristoph ruining Phoenix's life with fake evidence. A dick move? Sure, but with a good reason.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
To the guy who doesn't want to try AAI, give it a look. Honestly, you just cross examine suspects on the spot, and you usually end up set to prove someone's innocence most of the time anyway. It's the series formula in every way but setting. The gameplay is absolutely identical, give it a go.

E: It's past 12:00, is it out?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm in central US time zone and I'm still only seeing game demo.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
If it were a midnight, chances are it wouldve been out an hour ago. Shame, I was looking forward to taking a new Phoenix Wright to bed tonight

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've only played the first 2 games and I want to play this, can someone give me a plot summary of what happened after the second one? I know it's fairly new player friendly, but I still kinda want to know.

Also a summary of what Capcom's done with the series because the molten hate on the internet seems even more intense then usual.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Anatharon posted:

I've only played the first 2 games and I want to play this, can someone give me a plot summary of what happened after the second one? I know it's fairly new player friendly, but I still kinda want to know.

Also a summary of what Capcom's done with the series because the molten hate on the internet seems even more intense then usual.

There is no real bad thing Capcom did with this series. They localized basically every game except AAI2 because of reasons that were out of the localization team's control and now they're bring out AA5 and even Layton vs Phoenix Wright is getting localized. Capcom's just getting the usual Capcom hate from other stuff.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
No Gumshoe :( Maybe he'll be chief of police? :unsmith:

Also, am I the only one who doesn't like how the general character design has changed since the first game? I miss the oddest thing about the characters' appearances being unusually spiky hair and a cravat.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 24, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

If it were a midnight, chances are it wouldve been out an hour ago. Shame, I was looking forward to taking a new Phoenix Wright to bed tonight

There's always midnight PST. :unsmith:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Will certain plot elements be lost on me if I didn't finish the Edgeworth spin-off games?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Farecoal posted:

No Gumshoe :( Maybe he'll be chief of police? :unsmith:

Also, am I the only one who doesn't like how the general character design has changed since the first game? I miss the oddest thing about the characters' appearances being unusually spiky hair and a cravat.

Nope. The new characters look like they're from completely different series.

edit: Actually I kinda like the new girl. Her hair's ridiculous but the detective guy looks like he's from Gundam.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Farecoal posted:

Ah, but on the other hand

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's always midnight PST. :unsmith:

Review embargo is 12:01 Pacific, so maybe!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Even Godot has reasons for his odd appearance; mainly poison turning his hair white and the goggles allow his messed up eyes to see. It wasn't "just because".

Edgeworth used to be a genius for starting his career at age 20 and Maya's odd hair/clothes were actually a plot point when cross-examining April May. Now everyone's a teenage wonder-lawyer and dresses like a gaudy prom date. So yeah, I also miss the more conservative wackiness. I'm afraid we'll get to the point where everyone's super so no one is in regards to outlandish eccentricities.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rorus Raz posted:

Will certain plot elements be lost on me if I didn't finish the Edgeworth spin-off games?

Not a single thing, from what I've been hearing, there is little to no acknowledgement of the AAI games.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
gently caress all y'all I'm holding out for 12:00 MST

Some one some where is going to remember that Mountain Time is a time zone that exists.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Anatharon posted:

Umm... Play 3 and 4 first. 3 is just a loving great game and 4 will definitely be a part of this game. I'd play them first for sure.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
For some reason I kind of weirdly respect Capcom for not constantly putting in Maya's character over and and over again, she had a full arc and didn't need to develop any more than that. It seems almost seems like more of an act of restraint on Capcom's part, personally.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Hace posted:

For some reason I kind of weirdly respect Capcom for not constantly putting in Maya's character over and and over again, she had a full arc and didn't need to develop any more than that. It seems almost seems like more of an act of restraint on Capcom's part, personally.

Yeah but she never got any sort of sendoff, she was with Phoenix and then in AA4 she's just gone. It doesn't leave me satisfied in any sense of the word. I'd be alright with them moving on but just have a part where we see her say bye to Phoenix or something, maybe a DLC case where we go back to the village and solve a crime and we see where Maya ended up? I don't know, it's not like they have a shortage of returning cast members in AA5, Pearl is in it for gods sake.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

Even Godot has reasons for his odd appearance; mainly poison turning his hair white and the goggles allow his messed up eyes to see. It wasn't "just because".

Edgeworth used to be a genius for starting his career at age 20 and Maya's odd hair/clothes were actually a plot point when cross-examining April May. Now everyone's a teenage wonder-lawyer and dresses like a gaudy prom date. So yeah, I also miss the more conservative wackiness. I'm afraid we'll get to the point where everyone's super so no one is in regards to outlandish eccentricities.

And I miss when recurring characters didn't act more and more like they were in season 5 of a tv sitcom with each appearance. :smith:

I really hope they worked on that with regard to returning characters, especially Oldbag if she comes back. :gonk:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think at this point people just want to see her for the sake of seeing her. Just a quick cameo would be enough at this point.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Shinjobi posted:

I think at this point people just want to see her for the sake of seeing her. Just a quick cameo would be enough at this point.

Or... Or as a victim :getin:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Gutcruncher posted:

Ah, but on the other hand

Well yeah, but I guess what I'm saying is that it was a cool, minimalist kind of wacky. Not just adding a character who has a key through her gigantic ponytail thing "just because".

Austrian mook posted:

Or... Or as a victim :getin:

In Case 5 everyone from the first 3 games is a victim.

Actually what I really want is to have the Judge as a defendant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Farecoal posted:

Actually what I really want is to have the Judge as a defendant.

So would Canadian Judge forever take Regular Judge's place? Id be ok with that.

• Locked thread