Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies is the long-awaited 5th entry in the mainline Ace Attorney games, featuring Phoenix Wright’s triumphant return to the defense bench. Dual Destinies is being released October 24th, on the Nintendo eshop only, in both NA and EU. So far, it seems the consensus from overseas is that Dual Destinies is at - or near - the level of the original trilogy. A demo is available on the eshop.

I repeat, the game is digital download only. A physical release just wouldn't have been profitable for Capcom.

Plot

Dual Destinies takes place a year after the events of Apollo Justice, with Phoenix Wright returning to his old career as a defense attorney, brand new teenage girl in tow. The first case of the game has Phoenix defending a young girl accused of detonating an explosive in the courthouse. Although Phoenix returns as a playable character, Apollo Justice isn't absent, returning as well. Furthermore, Dual Destinies is meant to be beginner friendly, so understanding the game’s plot is not dependent on having played previous games.

Characters:

Phoenix Wright:

Renowned for his ability to turn the most hopeless of cases around with wild accusations and unabashed bluffing, Phoenix was eventually disbarred after being tricked into presenting a piece of forged evidence in a murder trial. During the events of Apollo Justice, this came to light, and so Phoenix has been allowed to return to the bench. Runs the Wright Anything Agency, a law firm/talent agency, featuring his adopted daughter Trucy, and rookie attorneys Apollo Justice and Athena Cykes.

Voice Clips:

Objection!
Hold it!
Take That!

Athena Cykes:

The new sidekick character for the game, Athena is a rookie attorney at Phoenix’s law firm, who specializes in analytical psychology. Very energetic and somewhat hotblooded, Athena is another playable character alongside Apollo and Phoenix, responsible for the games new “Mood Matrix” mechanic.

Voice Clips:

Objection!
Hold it!
Take That!

Apollo Justice:

The protagonist of Ace Attorney 4, Apollo returns as another playable character in Dual Destinies. Injured in the courtroom explosion during the first case, resulting in his kicking rad new look. Although Dual Destinies marks Phoenix's Wright triumphant return, Apollo is equally important, and thus receives a respectable amount of character development.

Voice Clips:

Objection!
Hold It!
Take That!

Simon Blackquill:

The new prosecutor for Dual Destinies, Simon Blackquill has been allowed to stand as a prosecutor despite currently serving a sentence for murder.

Voice Clips:

Objection!

Miles Edgeworth:

Phoenix’s longtime friend/rival, Miles has been promoted to Chief Prosecutor in the interim between AA3 and Dual Destinies.

Voice Clips:

Objection!

Trucy Wright:

Phoenix’s adopted daughter, for reasons that can be best summed up as: Zack Gramarye is a jerk. Apollo’s sidekick in Ace Attorney 4, and his half-sister, unbeknownst to either of them. (Phoenix knows. He should tell them.)

Bobby Fullbright:

The new detective for Dual Destinies, Bobby is a hot blooded believer in justice, and Simon Blackquill's minder while he serves as a prosecutor.

New Features!:

Mood Matrix:

The Mood Matrix is Athena’s special ability. During Mood Matrix testimonies, the emotions felt by the testifier during each statement will be displaced, allowing the player to point out contradictory emotions.

Thought Route:

Thought Route is similar to the logic system from Ace Attorney Investigations, letting you review vital facts of the case to come to new conclusions, by internally answering questions about the case and answering new questions that arise as a consequence of your first answer.

Returning Mechanics:

Both Psyche-Locks and the Perceive System from the original trilogy and Ace Attorney 4 respectively return in Dual Destinies, although the Perceive System is now used only in investigations.

3D animations:

The game ditches the 2d sprite art from the previous game for full 3D models. Does it work? You decide:

Animated Cutscenes:

The game also features some full fledged animated cutscenes, courtesy of studio Bones.

DLC:

Dual Destinies will also feature a new DLC case, unrelated to the rest of the game, as well as several DLC costumes for the cast.

Media:

English Trailer
A bunch of trailers:
Opening Cutscene: English Dubbed

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Reserved

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Honestly the best of cross-examining the parrot isn't that you do it, but that Von Karma had coached the parrot beforehand.

Waffleman_ posted:

Get hyped, people. It might just be less than half an hour away if some sources are to be believed, otherwise it'll be 12 hours from then!

I kind of hope it isn't tonight because I already haven't been getting much sleep this week :v:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Five cases.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

No, the Japanese script has the game taking place in Japan.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's true. It's amazing how Apollo manages to have more character in the game advertised around Phoenix coming back then in his own game, but welp, here we are.

(I'm in Case 5 right now, and it's so good.)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Really, case 4 and 5 are pretty much one super-case split into two. I think between both cases you have the standard three days of court and two days of investigation that you'd get in a standard final case.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I actually beat the game a couple of days ago, but I'm lazy and am just getting around to sharing my thoughts now.

All in all? It's really good. I'm not one to rank each game individually or anything, so I'll settle for saying that it's the Ace Attorney game I've been waiting for since Trials and Tribulations came out, a desire that neither Apollo Justice or AAI really satisfied.

The first part of case 5 was a definite highlight. The entire thing was great, but the first trial part before the culprit took the stand was amongst my favorite court sections ever.

The 3D models were also surprisingly amazing. They look really good in motion, and I never found myself missing the sprites at all.

Also Thought Route is the first new court mechanic I can easily say I loved. It's just so satisfying.

e: Also, I'll probably update the OP sometime with the benefit of first hand information, instead of playing telephone with various websites and press releases.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

saihate posted:

Can someone explain (Case 3 spoilers) how Hugh's necklace got on his neck. That thing looks like it's made of solid clay or something. Poor guy kinda lucked out since everyone else got bracelets, but hey, maybe he likes necklaces?

The hands are a clasp, I thought.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

If I recall correctly, it's the bloody knife.

The logic behind that is his blood would be on the moon rock from when Athena stabbed his hand.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Phoenix Wright has always had lots of recurring characters. It's not a new thing.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Also Scuttlebutt owns and the villain breakdown in 3 might just be the best in the entire series.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Suspicious Cook posted:

So about that final cross-examination, I just got rap battled by a pirate. I don't think I'll ever play anything better in my life. :allears:

They will never top The Dissin' of Phoenix Wright as a cross-examination title.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

If you don't want to see them try and localize Meiji era Japan into America, I don't think you get Phoenix Wright, tbh.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Wow, AAI2 was good. More than anything else I liked how all of the cases connected cohesively; it feels like every other AA game has at least one or two that are just kind of "normal" murders that just happened to take place during the game's events. Though it would probably get tiresome/convoluted if they constantly tried to make 4-5 cases constantly interconnected.

Earlier you were trying to get it to work on a flash cart, yeah? Did you ever figure that out? It doesn't work on mine and my laptop can't emulate it at anything above around 40fps.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

If you're using DeSmuME, be sure to go into emulation settings and uncheck Advanced Bus-Level Timing. If it's still slow, check the Dynamic Recompiler. The default settings slow the game way down.

Oh poo poo what do you know, I've got 60fps now. You're good people, Kajeesus.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Is Layton v. Wright coming out at midnight?

Midnight ET.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The game is up, by the way.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I don't think it really hit me until I started playing that this is a real game that exists.

I'm very excited.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

milk bucket man

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh my god what was that last trial even?

e: ahhh british Edgeworth!

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 1, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I wouldn't say I disliked the story so much as the typical Layton ending makes for a drawn out and kinda dull last case. Either way though, I liked Dual Destinies.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Meh, I honestly wasn't blown away by the case writing. Probably because while it was good, the last case (which really brings it home in every other game) was really bad. Say what you want about Layton endings, the actual case was boring to play.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

How old was Terry anyway though? It seemed that the implication was that Dahlia was taking advantage to him and the one in control. In Big Top it's a 30 year old man, and a 40 year old man both actively fighting over Regina.

20 and 14 apparently

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fangz posted:

There was no indication whatsoever that Dahlia was sexually active.

someone's never read any of my fanfiction

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

I'm more surprised that the Furio Tigre case was originally the final case of Justice For All, to be honest with you!

it wasn't the final case, originally there were 5 cases and it was the 4th. they ran out of space though and moved it to AA3.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

d

mabels big day posted:

I dunno, it was the first ace attorney game, so I didn't think that they would have the prosecutor be the culprit at first.

Man, when does the trilogy come out? I want to replay these

december 9th i think

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's okay for the culprit to be obvious sometimes, imo

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

five is cool too actually

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

It really doesn't take much to emulate AA games.

and yet my lovely laptop can't do it, and my lovely flashcart can't run it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I am sorry to hear this, Cake Attack

i upgraded to a new firmware and it works now

christmas is saved

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

does anyone have a save for AAI2 or something that'll let me read text at my own pace?

also case 1 was really good

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

furio tigre owned

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

So, how good is AAI2? I didn't really like the first game. And how good is the fan translation?

only played one case but it seems much better than 1.

translation is good, occasionally you'll get japanisms like "that person" and "can't be helped" but they're not that common and it's pretty close to professional quality otherwise. if you told me that it was officially localized id believe you, but id think that they'd gotten a little lazy since the originals

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the real answer is that apollo justice just had kinda crappy writing

unlike AAI2, which is good. i was playing case 3 on christmas eve yesterday, which felt right

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I hope you are enjoying it

I am, thank you.

alcharagia posted:

all I want for Christmas is a big hug from Uncle Ray

i hope someone hugs ray before the game's over

he deserves it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

case 3 of AAI2 is so good

when you realize that since gustavia was the culprit, the statute of limitations hasn't expired and edgeworth can finish what his father started, well, let's just say

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=7706320

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

has any game that has been fan translated actually done this?

Xseed did it for ys: oath in felghana iirc, although they edited it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

franziska is a bad antagonist, while klavier is supposedly an antagonist but it's hard to tell

deciding which is worse is quite difficult

the best prosecutor is Debeste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

in case 4 of AAI2 it's starting to seem like stuff from AAI is going to become relevant, which is bad because i remember nothing about it

is this the case?

• Locked thread