Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There is a disappointing lack of

in the OP. (Thanks again to I think HelloWinter for making this wonderful thing for the world.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like to believe "It's amazing what a girl can get used to." right at the start of the first case was a reference to Lynn from Ghost Trick.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Terper posted:

Basically, after Apollo Justice, I didn't want Apollo Justice 2, but after Apollo Justice 2, I want Apollo Justice 3.

The more I play of this game the more I can't stop making Raiden parallels for Apollo. In both characters' first games they basically had someone else pulling the strings and telling them what to do the whole time, and nobody was particularly keen on either character. The next appearance (which would be this game's case 1) for each has them being a bit more serious and matured (for their series at least, which isn't saying a lot), but still more or less also-rans. Then Revengeance happens (which I assume would be the later cases in this game that I haven't gotten to yet) and things get so goofy and over the top that people become desperate to get more of them. And all throughout this the characters remain more or less the same goobers they always were.

Capcom and Kojima, please make a MGS/Ace Attorney crossover. I don't care how.

vvvv Edgeworth gets possessed by the cravat of Manfred von Karma, the judge is revealed to be an AI, and Franziska grows extra arms to hold more whips (which are all made out of more arms). Maya saves your game.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 28, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ I think you mean Winston Payne: Rookie Killer. You never lose, you just crush the dreams of every new law school graduate while avoiding the real attorneys.

CandyCrazy posted:

Problem is, I'm not sure Phoenix would be comfortable helping a criminal get away with their crime. He went through hell and back to get Enguarde the verdict he deserved after all. He did help Ron Delite get away with theft, but he didn't realize that until after the fact, and Atmey was pulling the strings there anyway.

Kristoph Gavin: Ace Attorney?

Nah, more like Kristoph Gavin's Fabulous Murder Spree. You have a client like a normal defense attorney, but you're only defending them so you can pin the blame on someone, because you're the real murderer in every case. It could be the counterpart to Frisky Franzy's Whippity Whip Trip.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 3, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope the prosecution's opening statement is "Orcas are called killer whales. Its guilt is clear from its name. Case closed."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm about halfway through case 3 so far, and there's probably nothing I can really say about Robin that hasn't already been said, but I like her in both personalities and don't really think people's disgusted reactions are all that warranted, though part of that is because the script very obviously needs some proofreading and editing so I'm not chalking anything up as being really intentional. The character is happier in the end and that's good enough for me.

I really like Athena so far. She has a lot of guts and energy, contrasts Phoenix and Apollo well, no particularly annoying personality quirks, and somehow manages to feel like a character who is both perfectly at home in the AA world and enough of an outsider to be a straight man. Like she doesn't put up with Trucy's stuff, for example, but acts like the same dumbshit that Nick, Edgeworth, and Apollo often do. As probably weird as this sounds, she also feels like she was written in a way that her being a woman is integral rather than tacked on. I don't mean in the lazy sense of dumb shoes/hair jokes or things like that, but how she reacts to things. I am probably not explaining it well, but my point is that she is thus far a better written female character than most video games have. Which is to say, she is written at all.

I also have to laugh at how Apollo is still just getting poo poo on constantly by everyone. Sorry buddy, it appears to be your lot in life, though I guess Klavier gets made fun of a fair amount too so it balances out somewhat. I look forward to that turning around later, as that is the impression I've gotten from reading the broad impressions without spoiling myself.

This is a good game. In desperate need of better editing (too much use of "I'm sensing some GAME MECHANIC") and proofreading (typos all over), but a good game nonetheless.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 7, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just wrapped up case 3 and god drat, that one could easily have been a final case in the rest of the series. Every character was great and developed well. And there's still two more cases to go! Case 3 also cemented Athena as being a fantastic addition to the cast, especially at the end when she's just going nuts on her statue theory. I was cracking up through that whole part. Blackquill is also growing on me, but I figured going in that there was about a 0% chance that he's actually a bad guy. It's nice seeing how it plays out in court though, and they wrote his traps really well.

Cases 4, 5, and killer whale are going to have to bomb really hard for there to be any chance of me not considering this game the best in the series.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You also need at least one kind of magic power.

Or a whip.

Higher education in law school in AA world is just all about arm angle for evidence presentation and desk pounding for maximum effect. You get to be a judge after they give you a partial lobotomy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I actually really liked how twisty some of these cases are, though it was a little much at times, I admit. I kind of wish we got more Thought Route segments, too, if only because they are completely loving awesome.

To some extent the thought route music takes the place of the old cornered theme for me. Despite there being no actual penalty for failing them, the music gives them the same tension and energy that cornered did. That's not to say that the cornered or character specific versions are bad at all, but they just don't give the same rush that AA1 cornered did.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

For those who have played AAI2, I've always been curious, what's the deal with the judge lady? Is there some weird new portable judge system in that game or something? If possible avoid spoilers in the explanation I guess, though it may not matter too much since we're unlikely to get an official translation and the fan patch being completed is still a good ways away.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not to disrupt the dlc trial discussion, but I just have to say that it just hit me that Apollo's regular, non-courtroom theme may be the best track in the game. It really suits his appearance and demeanor after what happens to him in the game. The rest of the music in the game is great as well, but that one in particular just nails it above the rest with the right blend of melancholy and hope. Even having not finished the game yet, I agree that it really is his game, and I love the guy now.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 22, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I finally finished the main game, and I think this one is probably the best game in the series, even with the first having first game advantage. The only real criticisms I have are pretty minor stuff like proofreading and the shoehorning into of game mechanics into trials being a bit inelegant, though the mechanics themselves were good. For the cases themselves, I admit I had a hard time getting too invested in the second case, but it was far from the worst in the series, or even really that bad, and the rest more than make up for it. Everything else was fantastic. Part of me hopes that there may eventually be a dlc case for (final case spoilers) defending Aura, though I guess it would be more getting her a reduced sentence instead of the death penalty that AA's hosed up legal system would probably give. I also like how the game handled her. She's a lesbian (or bisexual potentially for Apollo, though that may have just been because of his suspicions of Athena at the time and not actually interest), the game is not particularly subtle about it, but only really mentions it twice. It's not considered relevant to anything, none of the characters remark about it except the clueless judge, and everything goes on as normal. At the end of the game I ended up being enough invested in her to want to see something nice happen for her beyond Simon being cleared. She didn't even get to say anything during the credits.

Now I just have to tackle the dlc and hope that the game does well enough to get an AA6 or more dlc that lets us know what Ema, Franziska, Gumshoe, and all the other old pals have been up to. And whether Apollo and Juniper ever goes anywhere.

Game owns. Series owns. I need more.

Edit: The slower version of Apollo's theme is still the best music in the game. And Athena has the best desk pound.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 27, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

There definitely needs to be less hand-holding. I was getting Skyward Sword flashbacks in some places. I like how the newest Awkward Zombie addresses this.

As big a fan of the game as I am, it definitely holds your hand too much. I like to press every statement in trials just to see the various interactions, which inevitably leads to the hints from the assistant portion of each cross-examination. In previous games it was just a hint that was often unclear, but in AA5 they pretty much just spell it out for you. I eventually resigned myself to just approaching the game as reading a story more than actually playing the game and I'm still okay with that, but it's a bit disappointing that it straight up walks you through everything in the trials. That being said, I do like that the investigation portions were much more streamlined, but I was never really the biggest fan of those in the first place.

Edit: I would happily consume more AA, I just hope they tone down the spoon feeding during trials a lot in the next one. Also I really really want Ghost Trick 2.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 31, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

alcharagia posted:

That's a dumb theory.

Anyway, I'm up to the final case now and I couldn't stop laughing for even a moment during Edgeworth's intro cinematic.

I was frankly disappointed at the lack of women swooning over Edgeworth. I was pleased that they kept the "Edgeworth's witnesses never cooperate with him on their introductions" gag, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Line Feed posted:

Does anyone else think that Edgeworth looks really silly in those glasses? I'm not a fan.

You can go to hell. Though I will admit that he looked kind of dumb in the non-trial parts where you talk to him directly, but Edgeworth's sprite never looked good in those parts in the other games either.

And do we really still need to be spoilering him? I mean he was in the end of the trailer and you can download his "Objection!" for a ring tone.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I had a stupid dream once about an AA/Ghost Trick crossover where Lynne is the detective and instead of the investigation segments you have a ghost trick puzzle to bring Lynne back to life each time to bring new evidence and in doing so change the facts of the case. I guess Maya would have to channel her at some point, too. The joke here is Lynne dies a lot.

I want a Ghost Trick 2 so bad :(.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I was listening to Ghost Trick's soundtrack recently and I'm wondering now whether the composer has done music for any other games. Does anyone know who it is or if they have? The soundtrack was one of the best parts of the game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Momomo posted:

I don't know, it felt like there were plenty of times he would lead the player onto a line of thinking and go "HAH, you just activated my trap!". I'm not really sure how to feel about this, but I thought it was kind of clever in Case 2 at least.

Yeah I think the times he did that were neat and generally pretty subtle, too. The rest of his gimmicks kind of fell flat, though.

At the end of the day, the best prosecutor title remains with Edgeworth. Dude just owns. No gimmicks, no bullshit, just The Truth.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 15, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know guys, it looks like this game probably isn't going to take place in LA.

Pretty sure that's Boston.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Aurain posted:

Those aren't exclusive to each other.
It basically goes without saying that he blames the murderer for murdering her, it's not something that needs explicitly stating, and Redd White isn't a particularly relevant character to the game. Godot hating Phoenix is integral to it and required explanation, but that doesn't mean Godot hating Phoenix for not being there to stop the murder means he's OK with White for doing it.

Sexism can be a trait of characters you're meant to like for certain, and it doesn't change my opinion of him. I don't think it's particularly true that Godot has those facets to his character, and sayings like "leave this to the men", old fashioned English idioms are definitely not indicative of it, even where the rest of his behaviour could signify it more successfully.

I think at one point he calls Franziska a rebellious filly and implies Phoenix should be keeping her in line or something like that (having Franziska briefly as a partner for that investigation was of course great), so the sexism is definitely there. It's just not the He-Man Women Haters brand of sexism so much as an exaggeration of the casual "Oh that's not really sexism" sexism of high society in earlier decades, which is absolutely the kind of feel they were going for with Godot.

Edit: Thinking about it, basically everyone is patronizing to Franziska, including Phoenix, and her frustration with that could have been an interesting angle to her character. They sort of do a bit with her trying to prove herself, and she does show some moments of maturity, but mostly she is just written as immature and kind of bratty.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 7, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the relative popularity of the characters? I imagine Nick and Edgeworth are at the top, Edgeworth probably with a healthy lead, but I can't really guess beyond that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I can see Apollo being first after AA5, but the real surprise is that Fulbright was so high. I mean I liked the guy, but I wouldn't rank him above so many others. I'm guessing it's more of a timing thing.

Also there's no justice for the Blue Badger.

Edit: Colgate Zeus. Colgate loving Zeus. Japan.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 8, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Trucy Wright is an unfortunate victim of both Apollo Justice not haveing great characterization and Dual Destinies throwing nearly everything from Apollo Justice by the wayside/introducing Athena.

Athena rules though, so it's forgiven. Even if she is a bad lawyer.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The thought route or whatever it was called segment in AA5 had good music and Athena's theme was great, but the slower version of Apollo's theme was hands down the best music in that game. I don't know whether I have that opinion as a result of how good Apollo was in AA5 or because the music contributed to how good he was, but either way it's a great track.

Blackquill I think was done well too, despite being a pile of various gimmicks. I think the hawk didn't really add much, but his trick of subtly guiding you to shooting yourself in the foot was done well. It could easily have been written poorly and looked really dumb, but I generally only caught on a little before the characters did each time it happened. I agree that his ultimately being honest (unless covering for Athena in the final case) was good because it made him similar to Edgeworth, but he kept a more sinister and cutthroat feel. Edgeworth is still the best multi-case prosecutor, though.

Don't know how anyone could vote any breakdown better than Colgate Zeus'.

Edit: Guess I probably still better spoiler that one.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 24, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

I guess I don't know why every single character of Ace Attorney has to have this intertwined backstory/arc that is connected to the cases. Klavier being only barely connected because of his brother is.. fine with me. He's just a dude who's having fun and Apollo is the stuffed shirt who can't deal with it. I thought it worked. Franziska was a one-note character, I don't even remember what her arc was. She was just lame.

Apollo's all up-tight and nervous and stressed out and Klavier on the other side is relaxed and not taking things seriously.

I think you could argue that Franziska's arc was her maturing and getting over herself to an extent. She definitely suffers from being underdeveloped though, particularly in getting chumped out of the final case of her own game. I mean come on, Capcom, that's just mean. I can't speak for AAI2, but in AA3 and AAI it's clear that she's on the good guys team compared to how she was in early AA2, if still egotistical and hotheaded. Plus she crushes a bit on Nick, I guess.

Though I guess you could probably also just as easily argue that the sum total of her characterization is "A von Karma who is not Manfred."

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 24, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have finally gotten around to starting the dlc case in AA5 and have finished the first day's trial. It's been a good case so far, but a few things bug me:

1) I honestly had to just retry scum my way through the part where you're supposed to present the photo of the victim's body as the thing that was missing from the security footage, because I had assumed that if he was feeding Orla he wouldn't be in the tank anyway, though I guess they want the player to think she suddenly went wild inside the tank when he was in there. I also didn't expect them to treat the photos as just a picture of the guy rather than the guy's dead body.

2) The whistle working through the TV transmission. I know it's dumb to care about this, but that probably wouldn't actually work!

3) Draining a 65 foot deep tank that has probably a 30 foot diameter at least and has an orca in it seems like something that should probably have borne mention before it just gets casually thrown out as a thing that maybe happened.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Does a puzzle never encountered have an answer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

nftyw posted:

After unlocking the music section I am just listening to Cross-Examination Allegro English Turnabout Mix non stop and it makes me realize how much I missed some of these themes. Not that the new themes are bad, but, well, that's the reason why I have this theme as my ringtone.

e: Wait, Beef Waifu, your avatar, noo

e2: Now looking at my old-rear end avatar it's making me think of a 999/VLR vs Phoenix Wright/Layton crossover. My God.

I've been avoiding listening to the music for fear of spoilers until my copy arrives, but I broke down and had to listen to some. And god drat they're fantastic, and I'm happier than I expected to hear the old Cornered again. Especially this remix of it.

And on the topic of crossovers, one of the comments mentions, based on the tone of the linked music, one that I am now sad will never be: Phoenix Wright vs. Bayonetta. I have no idea how it would work, but now I want it.

• Locked thread