Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm f5ing the gently caress out of the eshop but the game isn't magically appearing :smith: Why are you doing this to me nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Athena. Man. I don't have a problem with her character, except... she's eighteen and a certified lawyer. Why? She doesn't look particularly young, there's no reason you couldn't just say she was college-age. Except of course better appeal to japanese otakus, I have to assume. Remember when this was a series where the main characters weren't all inexplicably young like in every other piece of japanese media? Remember when Franziska starting her law career super young was actually a big deal and not a glossed over detail?

I guess I'll just have to start applying the policy of ignoring the characters' stated ages to this series, too :sigh:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Aerox posted:

This is explained and a part of the plot :)

Wow, did not expect. I'm so used to JRPGs with characters who are literal children despite holding important positions in society, doing jobs, being mercenaries, etc.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I am so annoyed that Examine is apparently for certain locations only now. I can't find out what the detention center guard is thinking. :qq:
You also can't examine Charley. What kind of an Ace Attorney game is this? 5/10, please come back ASAP Shu Takumi.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Suspicious Cook posted:

:laffo: Early Case 3 non-spoilers: Presenting Athena's badge to Apollo first chance you get is possibly the best thing I've ever done in any of these games. I know everyone will do it anyway, but I just want to make sure everyone does.

I hope you presented Apollo's badge to Phoenix during the brief time you can, because that's even better.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh my god. This guy. (Case 3 minor spoilers) This arrogant jerk student just called me(or rather, Athena) a mouth-breather. And then Athena called him a hipster doofus.

The writing in this game :allears:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Case 3 ending spoilers here:It as a good case and a great mystery! Until the ending ruined the whole buildup with "Haha, look at these lawyer hijinks happening here. Isn't it goofy? Oh, wasn't there a murderer here? Whatever, guess he's laughed out of the court, too. Hahaha!" I know it wasn't exactly the end of the world happening but man, show the tension some respect, writers!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

eating only apples posted:

Case 3 is anime as gently caress. I liked her better when she was yelling all the time.

Heartily agreed. In fact, Gigi put my thoughts of it on paper pretty well here (again, case 3 day 1 spoilers, do not read): http://allmarios.tumblr.com/post/65068279108/ace-attorney-5-spoilers-i-got-mad-on-twitter-and

I think the point is supposed to be that she's SUPER MASCULINE and then afterwards ~extremely feminine~ and it's funny because genders, haha. But it was reeeeaallly clumsily executed. She in fact becomes a lot more tolerable, and sometimes funny, once the writers (and hopefully, you) forget the whole thing about gender confusion the next day.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm still in day 1 of the final case (and if past games have taught me anything, this will be going on for quite a while) but I believe I've identified my major problem with the game's writing. It requires me to suspend my disbelief way more than I feel comfortable with. Like, every hour or so a plot point will happen that leaves me thinking, did that really make sense? And I just have to ignore it and move past. I know the old motto of don't think about it too hard, it's a videogame. But the story is posing itself as a somewhat realistic murder mystery, I'd at least hope for basic thing like character motivations always to make sense.

For example, early in case five Aura takes some people, including Trucy, hostage with her robots and demands (in a roundabout way) her brother be set free. This is alright, if extreme. Blackquill's on death row and to be executed tomorrow, so she takes the only option she has left. But then, she threatens to kill her hostages. Now, this presents two problems: One, it doesn't really make sense from her character's perspective (admittedly we don't know her all that well, and I still have my doubts whether she would actually go through with it) to just cold-bloodedly threaten people to their face with death of a relative. Two, absolutely loving nobody reacts accordingly. Wright is all "Huh. Guess we should do something about this person who threatens to kill my daughter."

In the end it doesn't matter that much and I still like the game a lot, but it leaves a weird aftertaste.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Artix posted:

Does the emotion system ever do anything other than "Pick the blatantly obvious statement" or "gently caress you, be psychic"? I'm in the second case and I'm supposed to point out the unexpected emotion in a testimony where every single line is showing fear and surprise, in a situation where you should absolutely be afraid and surprised.

Luckily there is never a penalty for failure in these, so just point out every emotion in every statement when you get stuck! :pseudo:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

Really, though, even when the game is giving out penalties for failure there's never really any penalty for failure because letting your life bar empty just means you get a free refill and go back maybe ten text boxes max. Honestly I kind of have to wonder why they bothered keeping the whole penalty system around at all.

It's nice not having to save scum when you're floundering about trying to figure out how the game wants you to answer, though.

The penalty system is there to discourage random guessing. Even if it inconveniences you only slightly, if there was never any penalty for failure many wouldn't bother ever thinking about their answers. In the mood matrix pointing out wrong gets you three text boxes at most, so it's really easy to just power through all the choices if you have no idea what you're doing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think justifying the Not Japan thing really clumsily has just become series tradition by this point, much like grape juice (which sadly doesn't make an appearance).

Actually, now that I think about it, almost none of the series traditions make an appearance. You can't examine charley or the detention center guard, there is a stepladder but nobody talks about it, etc.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

Does the killer stop being so obvious? I've barely started case 3's first trial day and I already know who did it.

Yes.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Okay, proof that the writers are bad at ages: Pearl is (supposed to be) 1 year younger than Athena. Nothing in the game reflects this. Pearl looks 15 at best, and acts more or less the same she did all those years ago.

Essentially, they have absolutely no idea what to do with characters who age. Phoenix is no problem since he's been an adult the whole time, but it's just so noticeable on Pearl. Can't wait for Maya to return with a change of clothes and literally the same mannerisms and speech patterns.

Shu Takumi pls come back, you did a good job on college Phoenix and investigator Ema.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well yeah obviously Pearl is older. But using Athena/all of the school students as a reference point, she is definitely not 17. Sheltered upbringing, Athena was quick to mature, etc. yes yes. I'm just very unsatisfied with how they handled her, she's basically the same person (ha ha ha she actually is the same person!). They redid the sprites as models, added some height, annnnd done. AA is not the most realistic of series, but it kind of takes me out of it when someone has stayed more or less the same throughout her teens, 11 to 17.

Compare to, say Ema, who I mentioned already. She was really well done in my opinion and a pretty realistic direction for her character.

Actually, I guess they just wanted to take the safe path after AA4's reception was so salty, so they went for the full nostalgiabomb package. All* the characters you love, just as you remember them! They just kinda had to ignore the timeskip.

*not actually all

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I know people always said that the HD trilogy sucks, don't buy it. Well, I thought, how bad can it be?

I stumbled upon the answer: http://i.imgur.com/T62nbpS.jpg (AA1 spoilers)

The HD trilogy sucks. Don't buy it.

I'm especially fond of Damon Gant, the killer you!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

univbee posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? Seriously, what the gently caress happened to the translation? They had it properly translated to english in the Japanese DS release, where the gently caress did this translation come from, the Phoenix Drive devs?

Mind you, considering I got all three games for $5 this way, I shouldn't be surprised that it has "Chinese DVD bootleg" qualities to go along with the price.

I'm guessing they had to copy the text by hand, because it looks like none of the original assets were available to them judging by those ugly, ugly menus. And that judge!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

surf rock posted:

- Apollo Justice, excellent defense record, holder of a magical bracelet that literally lets him discern when people are lying.

Excuse me, the bracelet is not magical, Apollo has good eyesight and the bracelet is there to help him concentrate at the right time.
:goonsay:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

tiistai posted:

People have hyped the DLC case to high heavens, but I thought it was a good case at best. It's certainly worth your money, but I have no idea why people would think it's the best thing ever.

I mean, the dissin' was the best thing ever, but it was hardly the whole case.

It's just the best case in the game. It isn't like high art or anything, but every other case, to me, has some annoying/stupid element that stops it from reaching its fullest potential. DLC case doesn't, it's just an all around solid case.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alright, finished the prologue. Early impressions: Holy poo poo, it's more Ace Attorney. Holy poo poo, it's Maya! I haven't seen her in years! Oh, and Layton is still Layton, if you like Layton this is more Layton and that's ok. The gameplay is just basically playing two games back-to-back: first you play some Layton, then you play some AA, etc.

The production values for this thing are on an entirely higher tier compared to AA5. Tons of voice acting, even during normal dialogue. Characters are animated beautifully, and have LOTS of animation. Like, when in the trial Nick examined a pipe, it actually showed an animation with the pipe in his hands! And Maya had one too!

My only complaint is that Phoenix's model is almost hilariously inexpressive compared to literally everyone else. He has two emotions: embarrassed (the hand-behind-head pose) and distressed (the sweating pose). If he is not in one of those two animations, he looks like :geno:. Even in his infamous point he expresses all the emotion of a brick wall. It kind of makes him look ridiculous in supposedly tense situations. But, eh, the rest of the package is so top-notch it's forgivable.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I played more (the entirety of Chapter 2), and the game only gets better. If I had to complain about something, I'd say that it's kinda weird how they went out of their way to innovate on the AA formula with all these cool little gimmicks in the courtroom, but in the Layton segments you just.. play some Professor Layton. Explore mysterious village, uncover dark secrets, solve puzzles, been there, done that. Oh well, at least the story involves Phoenix and Maya.

Meanwhile, in court, all of these new mechanics seem really fun so far. They really succeeded in giving the trials a whole different feel, like things are barely under control at all times. These are good old-fashioned witch trials after all.

Also, man, this game throws dark. (Mild spoilers, I was surprised by this but it's not a plot revelation or anything) You know how you've always kind of implicitly put people to death, via the death penalty? Well, nothing implicit about it here! When you win the trial, they put the Real Killer(TM) in an iron maiden and lower them into a pit of fire, which is situated conveniently right at the back of the courtroom. In fact, the defendant is hanging above it in the same iron maiden during the whole trial. And yes, you do get to see this. :stare: Kind of hard to feel good about that one. This game is rated like +7 or something, by the way.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

orenronen posted:

Vague spoilers, but still - you might not want to read this (I played the game a year ago). In true Professor Layton style, this seems to go dark but turns pretty loving light when all is said and done.

Yeah, I just got past the Big Plot Revelation where (Don't read these spoilers unless you've almost completed the game you dumbos. Seriously!)it turns out everything was OK and nobody died ever! But holy crap, that scene with Nick yelling at Barnham to bring Maya back is now my new favorite moment in the series, and it wasn't even in an AA game! That was just a really powerful scene.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

The ending left a rather bad taste in my mouth, though. (PLvPW ending spoilers) They're obviously going for a happy "no-one did anything really bad after all", but the only way you can get that is by completely forgetting about the Shades. The Storyteller, Alchemist and High Inquisitor cooperated to keep dozens of people in a state of drug-induced slavery for what's implied to be years at a time, and only the Alchemist exhibited any real signs of guilt for their actions. The ending seemed to imply that other two were basically going to get off scot free.

On a lighter note, I know the game's non-canon, but is it wrong for me to want Emeer to come back in later PW games? He's great, and I'd happily take him over the various other Larry-equivalents we've had over the years. Also, I was dangerously close to nominating Layton as the series' new best prosecutor before the post-credits sequence cruelly taunted me with the idea of a fully-voiced 3D game starring original trilogy Phoenix, Maya and Edgeworth. Which will naturally never happen.

You forget that the whole thing was an experiment that every participant agreed to. They probably knew what was going to go down before signing the papers. And it's not like the Shades were really living in drugged slavery, they seemed to have plenty personality when you talked to them. The morality of the whole thing can be called to question but the participants seemed to have it nice enough.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Momomo posted:

I heard the opposite, that it was essentially a Layton game with a few Phoenix Wright characters. I did forget about the game though, probably because Capcom hasn't released it in the US for god knows what reason.

Well, it's kinda both. See, the overall plot is definitely a Layton plot, with the mysterious village, inexplicable supernatural happenings, and absurd endgame reveal of how it all went down. But in the gameplay, it's basically an AA game where you sometimes solve puzzles in the investigation segments. And also, the court sequences are way more elaborate and have loads of new gimmicks just for this game, while the Layton side just uses the exact same engine as the other 3DS Laytons :effort:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What's with this talk about the assistant being useless? They're there for the sake of the Player Character having someone to bounce ideas off of, and make the scenes less boring. And that they definitely do. I think it's usually pretty annoying when your sidekick inevitably hijacks the plot with their tragic backstory. Like see in AA1? Maya's part of the plot was handled in case 2, and then she's there because she's a fun character. Case 4 is all about Edgey. Case 5 is all about Ema but that doesn't count :colbert:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

Right, so, little bit of Manic Pixie Dream Girl in there as well. Terribly sorry to have spoken ill of your waifu.

Please don't troll.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

gay skull posted:

Quick question, I'm thinking about grabbing Layton vs. Wright today, since I'm a huge AA fan. I thought Layton was just okay, I tried to play the first two games but just couldn't get into them at all. The puzzles were fun enough but I just didn't care to continue.

Is the game more of an AA game or a Layton game? Is there enough Phoenix to keep me moving?

edit: Hey I didn't post in the Wright thread. gently caress oops

It's the best AA game in years mostly by virtue of being written by the actual author of the series. He knows how to do this poo poo by now.

But by that I mean strictly the court cases. Your opinions on the overall story may vary wildly. I loved it, but I'm extremely tolerant to plotholes. If you just want some good-rear end AA cases this is where you'll find them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

JFA has a cool musical style that is almost entirely unlike the entire rest of the franchise. I dunno how to describe it exactly, but I think you can hear it best in the cross-examination theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGSPYd5GcgU

It sounds a bit more, mystical? Than the other themes.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Man the MASON system pisses me off with it Phoenix having a shitload of information he couldn't have known at certain points. Did he know after his hearing with the bar association that Gavin set him up?

The MASON system is (supposed to be) a convenient way to convey the information of the case to the jurists and you, and is not an actual representation of reality. However, it still makes no sense and is a stupid game mechanic to dump a whole load of plot onto you.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've been replaying Apollo Justice. I played it for the first time in like 2009 as my first Ace Attorney game (the perfect way to experience it, by the way, because it's impossible to be disappointed) so my memory was pretty hazy on it. I'm up to the second case and holy poo poo, this game, and Phoenix in particular, treats Apollo like utter crap!

The first case is a whole bunch of Phoenix and Gavin going at each other throats and Phoenix taking a tiny bit of time to deliver answers to you in a condescending manner. Also, he trusts you not one single bit, and doesn't tell any of the incredibly relevant information he holds (I'm pretty sure Phoenix holds the answers to 90% of the game's mysteries at this point). He just smiles his mysterious smile and goes "Oh I'm sure you'll figure it out someday"

Then, second case. He calls you to the office, and isn't there. You go see him at the hospital, he is mysterious about everything for no reason again, but he has work for you! Oh wait, it's small-time detective work for no pay. No, wait there's a real client! Oh, no, it's just more busywork. Ha ha, joke's on you Apollo, you thought something would go your way. And at this point Polly, probably thanks to Trucy also being extremely pushy about the whole thing, sort of resigns to his fate and starts wandering the streets to try to solve this "case" where he probably won't get paid and definitely won't get to do his job.

Good god! I know Nick wasn't respected much when he was at the bench but this is something else.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I finished my AJ replay. God, this game just goes so downhill. The first two cases are pretty alright by AA standards. Third case is pretty good except for the part where the arguments presented in court make no sense. And then, the Phoenix Wright Show starring Phoenix Wright begins in earnest. Plot is spoonfed to you in massive chunks and you get to prove one or two facts as Apollo and then the case is over. The whole big mystery isn't even that mysterious, and then the game ends by the villain screaming your... no, wait, Phoenix Wright's name. Phoenix Wright, the hero we all deserve. I know the executives forced Nick to have a more active role in the game, but god, could you be any more obvious?

Oh, and everything about Nick is badly written, his character makes no god damned sense. Ughhhh, I want to like this game. The first three cases are pretty good and probably worth it though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Terper posted:

Man, this lawyer game is awesome as long as it's not about practicing law

Yes, you summarized my exact feelings on case three! The characters are still great and the writing is still pretty good. You finally get to stick it to Gavin after he's spent the whole 2nd case being super above it all.

I have to admit, I did entirely block out of memory the part where Guitar's Serenade is played every single time someone mentions it. Impressive considering I played the case three days ago.

So I guess in summation, other than the part where you get to watch the same video clip every ten minutes, and the part where no one on the staff thought about the logic for a second, it's a good case? Hmm, this argument is sounding less convincing by the second. Look, it's not as bad as the clown case because I actually care about what's going on instead of wishing death upon everyone involved.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh my god, what have I started. I'm sorry I said anything about the clown case.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tenma confused the poo poo out of me because I wasn't sure if we were supposed to take the possession at face value or not.

Really? For me it was obvious he was covering for his daughter in his own ...special way. I thought it was pretty cute :3:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Klavier has some kind of accent, but I'd be willing to wager he puts it on as a gimmick because he is a terrible person and character.

He stopped having the accent when Yuri Lowenthal didn't bother to voiceact him with one in 5.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The only good thing about Blackquill is that he's not-so-secretly a giant weeaboo. All of his other gimmicks, and boy does he have a lot of gimmicks, are pretty tiresome.

He actually has so many gimmicks that I don't think he even has a character at all, he's just a pile of traits. He dislikes pointless tirades in court. He goes on asides about prison (these are sometimes funny). He has a hawk that harasses people in court. He has an invisible sword he uses to harass people in court. He's scary and intimidates people in court. He uses psychology to manipulate people in court. He has handcuffs that he breaks off when he decides to become even more menacing. He gives everyone stupid nicknames. Except the defense attorneys for some reason, who he instead calls -dono like a proper weeaboo. Oh yeah, and he's a weeaboo and freaks out about samurai code sometimes. Did I forget anything?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This is super cute

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Then again I'd argue that pretty much no game in the series has really been about him.

Even in the original trilogy you could easily argue that each game is about someone else, and their relationship to him rather then Phoenix himself.

This is why I was always slightly perplexed by the "We wanna play as Phoenix, who is this Apollo he isn't even a character!" response to AJ (which wasn't that large admittedly, the other problems were more complained about). Phoenix is such a nothing character for most of the trilogy. Outside of very specific moments (3-1 and 3-5, some stuff with Edgey in 1-4, etc.) he's 80% player avatar, 10% snark, 10% actual character. I guess he is given a backstory and motivation in the first game though while Apollo was only graced with one of those in his game.

But my point is, at least for me who you are playing as is the least important part of any case, it's the characters around you that make or break it. Everyone morphs into a sorta generic player avatar anyway when in your control. Well, except for that one part in 3-5 where you're Edgeworth, his internal monologue is amazing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was browsing a wiki and noticed this amazing piece of trivia: "Some of the English name ideas that were scrapped for Diego Armando included Joseph Cuppa, Xavier Barstucks and William Havamug."

I love and hate the AA translation team simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Gyre posted:

Also, I had forgotten how freaking bad the old movement system was.

To be fair case 1-3 is the absolute pinnacle of this. There's so many areas, they all connect in weirdly specific ways, the case is three days long because of course it is, and you need to wander around looking for plot flags constantly so be prepared to see that one monkey head a lot. The case gives you so little direction on where to go next it's almost criminal.

• Locked thread