Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I've always been skeptical of those players who are like "well he doesn't really have a real position, but holy poo poo he sure is an athlete." When was the last prospect like that to actually pan out as a NFL player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Why do they all have asterisks?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Hand Row posted:

Wade is a good candidate for the Packers DC job. Rumor is Capers is going to retire wink wink. Ted Thompson is friends and connected to his family from his Oiler playing days.

I would be quite happy with Wade as DC, but I don't see why he'd take another DC job. Is he tired of being a head coach?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The other side of that coin is that with the 3-4 becoming the new hot thing several years ago and many teams switching over to it, shouldn't it be easier to find 4-3 players nowadays?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Yeah, that's what I was asking - with so many more teams looking for those particular sort of players for their new hot 3-4 schemes, wouldn't it end up being really hard to get those players given that they're already naturally rare when you account for the high demand? The 4-3 seems like it'd be easier to assemble especially given the "market conditions".

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Azhais posted:

Packers getting a 6 for erik walden is highway robbery

Thanks, Indiana.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What do people think of Louis Nix III? There's buzz that the Packers may draft another DL and I want to get my hopes up before experiencing yet another crushing disappointment of a highly drafted Packers DL.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Sataere posted:

It really amazes me how consistently you guys just miss on defense.

Packers first 3 rounds draft picks on defense since 2001 (Ron Wolf / Mike Sherman / Ted Thompson):

quote:

2013:
Datone Jones (Jury still out)

2012:
Nick Perry (Injured twice now)
Jerel Worthy (Jury still out)
Casey Hayward (Great rookie season, was injured this season)

2011:
dick all

2010:
Mike Neal (Perpetually on the cusp)
Morgan Burnett (Ehhh)

2009:
BJ Raji (One good year, average all others)
Clay Matthews (All-Pro)

2008:
Patrick Lee (Bust)

2007:
Justin Harrell (Bust)
Aaron Rouse (Did nothing noteworthy)

2006:
AJ Hawk (Perpetually average)
Abdul Hodge (Accomplished nothing)

2005:
Nick Collins (Potentially All-Pro, career ended by injury)

2004:
Ahmad Carroll (Bust)
Joey Thomas (Bust)
Donnell Washington (Bust)

2003:
Nick Barnett (Perpetually average)
Kenny Peterson (Accomplished nothing)

2002:
Marques Anderson (Decent rookie year, unremarkable after)

2001:
Jamal Reynolds (Bust)

It's honestly kind of amazing how completely inept the Packers are at drafting top picks on defense. Clay Matthews and Nick Collins were more a product of finally getting lucky after so many attempts than they were a signifier of good defensive drafting I think.

I'm actually confused how Ted has a reputation for being a good drafter after going over the Packers draft history. He made shrewd value picks with Clay and Aaron (and now I guess Eddie Lacy) but doesn't really hit consistently on other draft picks. 2008 was possibly his best season, bringing in Jordy Nelson, Jermichael Finley, Josh Sitton, and Matt Flynn all in the same draft. He hasn't really been able to repeat that performance since, although the jury is still out on 2012 and 2013 drafts.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The Packers will draft someone that most people haven't heard of at all.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Volkerball posted:

I'd be cool with putting Bridgewater on the bench behind Schaub until he won the job. He's young, still needs to put on some size, and it never hurts to develop a QB at a slow pace, especially on a team with no talent where he'd be getting thrown to the wolves. Aaron Rodgers was the last QB drafted in the 1st by McKenzie's team, so I wouldn't say I'd be surprised if they picked up Bridgewater if he fell despite the Schaub trade. We didn't give up so much to get him that he has to be our guy now.

If Bridgewater gets to ride the bench for two seasons he could be really really good. I doubt Manziel or Bortles would get that opportunity.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is it worse to blow off a workout because you were too tired, or to go ahead and work out anyway and look bad because you were too worn out to perform well?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
When something is A. unnecessary given the other data you have access to and B. carries a risk of injury then you perhaps should consider doing away with it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Volkerball posted:

He did really good at times, but when he sucked, goddamn. He was worse this year at his worst than last season. I don't know that I can think of many other QB's who were such a coin toss at getting a 100 QB rating or sub 50.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
After months of reviewing draft poo poo and stuff and looking over past drafts I just hope the Packers don't draft yet another unknown for the defensive line as their top pick, that's all I want out of this year's draft. Highly drafted defensive linemen tend to have terrible work ethic or injury issues much more often than not. It honestly made me cringe last draft whenever I saw a DL being picked in the first.

Take a nice safe linebacker or safety Ted.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It's starting to bother me that it seems like every team is starting to espouse the whole "Build through the draft! Acquire draft picks and trade down!" philosophy, because that specific approach to the draft only works if you have other teams to fleece. If everyone tried to stockpile picks and build through the draft, then suddenly that strategy doesn't work anymore. Or am I just imagining things here?

Fortunately for my team, it seems like the Packers are one of a very few teams that's actually committed to that philosophy instead of paying lip service to it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Bridgewater is going to be easily the best quarterback to come out of this draft.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

This looks reaaaal similar to a certain play from the 2007 NFCCG, only Bridgewater doesn't funsling the ball.

edit:

Brannock fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 3, 2014

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Bridgewater isn't going to last past Minnesota, and neither should he.

Hey, this whole predicting the draft thing is fun and easy.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

pangstrom posted:

I'm educated-guessing that's because there are a lot more than 32 UDFAs.

Right, that stat is almost certainly by-volume instead of by-rate.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm pretty okay with CJ Mosley if we can't get Pryor. Just please don't draft DL in the first again.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

It's been extremely clear for many years now that first rounders aren't remotely worth what they're trumpeted as. I remember people heavily criticizing the Seahawks trading draft picks for Percy Harvin. They somehow never took in account that the chances of drafting a player of Harvin's talent aren't nearly as reliable as using that same draft pick to "draft" an actual Percy Harvin.

And what did Minnesota do with that draft pick they got? Tried to draft a replacement for Harvin.

(Now obviously in hindsight the Harvin trade doesn't look that great for Seattle)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
So O'Brien gets his quarterback and takes Clowney first overall I guess.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Can somebody give me a decent draft drinking game?

Finish your drink when someone gets drafted that no one knows who he is but Kiper steps in to talk about him for five minutes.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Volkerball posted:

People here are so goony, they care about what medium the picks get presented to them through. Let them have at it.

It's not the medium, it's that parts of the audience are getting the reveals at different times, so the impact is diffused and not as "fun". Imagine if you were in a movie theater where half the audience was watching 3 minutes ahead of the other half.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
If I didn't watch the draft I would never have gotten to see the Minnesota Vikings miss on their pick in 2003 and the next few picks being made in 3 minutes. Twitter can't really convey the experience of seeing that for yourself. Who wants to hear about that secondhand?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Never draft defensive tackles in the first round unless it's an absolutely can't-miss prospect like Suh was.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ozu posted:

Alternatively, always draft defensive tackles even if your stupid fanbase will throw poo poo at you for doing so.

Clearly there are successful 1st round DT picks just like with any other position, but they end up fat and lazy busts way too often for it to be a comfortable pick.

I'll be pretty upset if Ted takes a tackle tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Volkerball posted:

Pretty sure DT is statistically one of the safer picks in the early first.

2013:
Sheldon Richardson
Star Lotulelei

2012:
Dontari Poe
Fletcher Cox
Michael Brockers

2011:
Nick Fairley
Phil Taylor

2010:
Ndamukong Suh
Gerald McCoy
Tyson Alualu
Dan Williams
Jared Odrick

2009:
BJ Raji
Peria Jerry
Ziggy Hood

2008:
Glenn Dorsey
Sedrick Ellis
Kentwan Balmer

2007:
Amobi Okoye
Adam Carriker
Justin Harrell

2006:
Haloti Ngata
Brodrick Bunkley
John McCargo

2005:
Travis Johnson
Luis Castillo
Mike Patterson

2004:
Tommie Harris
Vince Wilfork
Marcus Tubbs

There you go, draw your own conclusions. My preference is clear for tonight.

• Locked thread