Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Human Crouton posted:

Enough with the whining about being persecuted hundreds of years ago. No matter how much they focus on it, they aren't going to convince modern day opponents to relent. Just show science.

Also Bruno being executed for that belief is objectively wrong. So if they're gonna play the oppressed scientist by the evil church card maybe stick to actual facts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hahahaha this is objectively untrue and written for nothing but the smug rear end internet atheists who do poo poo like that graph marking the 'dark ages' as irrevocable harm done to science as a broad concept by the evil church.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mukaikubo posted:

Oh my god it's like they explicitly mentioned his views on the trinity first

Jesus christ you loving goons chill the gently caress out and watch and enjoy

They glossed the gently caress over that and you know it, they gloss over that, then do this, do you really think someone who's never heard of him is gonna go 'yea they killed him for generic heresy charges like tons of other people'?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

5-HT posted:

It's funny, because the Vatican Astronomers around this time were actually doing some really cool stuff too.

If this show has any integrity the entire next half should be about the countless Vatican scientists who revolutionized their fields.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Myst Hat posted:

How dare they spend the first episode of a cosmological science series talking about the history of cosmological science.

Also, rargh Seth MacFarlane is a terrible person or something because Family Guy.

No how dare they make it look like Bruno's fate had anything to do with science and wasn't a generic religious heresy conflict. That's legitimately a disgraceful way to stoke the smug Reddit atheist persecution complex and an overt lie.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffles Inc. posted:

yo it's fundamentally academic to an entry-level science show dude

literally no one but goons and whomever is gonna write the angry slate article tomorrow gives a gently caress because for all intents and purposes it's fine

Yea it's not like there's actually a decent problem in the historical community with butthurt internet atheist types making absurd claims like the church was anathema to science and the 'dark ages' were scientific regression periods or anything.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffles Inc. posted:

yeah i agree that they should have derailed their topic of bringing light to bruno to discuss the intricacies of medieval church/science politics

here you go:

"bruno was executed for a laundry list of heresies including heliocentrism right?"
"basically"

Or

"Bruno was a visionary scientist who shaped his field and was executed for actually just one heresy, which was saying Jesus wasn't god which was a super thing you're not supposed to do as a literal friar, and in fact Vatican astronomers were major aspects of celestial sciences"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

William T. Hornaday posted:

This whole thing will be a monumental failure unless we experience NDT singing like a whale.

Also this, you can redeem all the bad history you want with this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sash! posted:

Sort of like Look Around You?

Cosmos: Episode 32: Nails

Thanks Atoms.

Thatoms.

The parts that weren't insane history characterizations were really good so I'm in for more, hoping that that was just one stumble in an otherwise good product. I like the bits with Carl and all laced in, that's a good touch.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sash! posted:

There was mountains of it in the original. Like when those monks get to see the first observed impact on the Moon.

Yea a reason the Bruno thing annoys me so much is the original was loaded with history that tied into the theme, and I hoped this one would many clear up some common myths, rather than repeat them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mikemil828 posted:

I like that the chief concern goons have over this is that redditors might use it in a theoretical debate on the value of religion in the pursuit of science.

I used them as an example of the type who buy into that narrative. I also said there's a fairly real issue in historian communities with agenda driven revisionism to portray organized faith as some violent opposition to science. Making it look like the church gleefully murdered Bruno for his science plays into that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bathroom sounds posted:

Complaining about commercials on a major network is like complaining about how wet the rain is. Everyone knows they are too frequent and that they are annoying. Everyone. Every single person who watches TV.

Pretty much, I really doubt there's literally anyone on TVIV who will go 'nah we have just the right amount of commercials and boy are they all great', it's just a moot issue because they're a fact of non-public broadcasting and going "HOLY poo poo ADS?!" isn't some shock to anyone else.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ProperGanderPusher posted:

How much control does MacFarlane have over the exact content of the show? It could be that he really wanted to push the "Bruno was killed for trusting in science" story because he's basically an archetypal reddit atheist.

I really doubt he has any input, I've basically only heard this as a Tyson/Druyan project and then in tiny letters 'with MacFarlane doing voices and poo poo'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SickZip posted:

If this documentary is going to act self-important about Teaching Science then it should be engaging on a higher level then "smoke weed and look at pictures of space". I'm really skeptical about the need for people who loving Love Science and literally don't understand anything about it besides that it provides an internet-acceptable outlet for their uncomprehending religious awe. Also, NDT sucks and I wish they'd gotten a real accomplished scientist rather then Science Meme Man.

Yea it's not like he's a loving PhD who spent most of his career in charge of one of America's greatest astronomical centers or anything.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You guys are actually not understanding why he's so mad. You didn't see the first draft of the show where Tyson said 'we are all made up of stars, except for SickZip, he's made up of bitch'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Dear Cosmos please always be about doggies thanks

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I hope this ends in him just tearing into the AKC for loving up so many dog breeds. Like, it has nothing to do with cosmos but I just really wanna see that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like that he said life was basically dogs and bears and 'everything else'. That's a badass view of the natural world.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sash! posted:

This is like watching some nightmarish future with nanomachines mutating things into who knows what

Neil just played the Metal Gear Solid series.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

404GoonNotFound posted:

Clearly, "is it a bear" and "is it a dog" are all you need to know to survive in this world.

It's all I need to get by.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Robnoxious posted:

These polar bears aren't as cute as the Coca~Cola bears. :colbert:

Disagree.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is exactly what I was hoping this would be, no 'argumentative' (gently caress I hate that it's an 'argument') tone that the crazies can latch on to as that uppity science man insultin real murican values, just objectively stating the facts of things and if you get mad at that you have to get mad at the science and not shift things into a tone argument.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

404GoonNotFound posted:

So, how much of this is being edited out in Kentucky?

Just one long loop of an angry man going "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Myst Hat posted:

I am not a mushroom! :bahgawd:

I do like him throwing shark in, that's pretty badass.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Darth Windu posted:

Guh. The fact that he isn't Carl Sagan is a major problem for this series. He lacks the charisma, credentials, and intrinsic skill at PR that Sagan excelled at. I can't imagine anyone who isn't already convinced to find this interesting at all. The bros and broettes of the world won't give a poo poo. It's a shame Sagan is dead, he would be perfect for this sudden, unlikely mainstream surge in science.

I have literally never heard anyone else say he lacks charisma and PR skills, the dude went from a nobody star dork to an insanely iconic scientist.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Safely exchange DNA in the dark, you know it Neil.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Cool, the extinctions.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Titan must smell terrible.

Just a big ol fart moon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sash! posted:

Yes, but there's practical reasons why. Knowing who Roche was doesn't impact a whole lot in your day to day life. Adolf Hitler is why my dad grew up with one less uncle than he should have.

Yea that seems like a weird thing to be mad about, ideally we should know both but 'mass murders' are usually, like, people who shaped entire geopolitical histories, they're pretty important to know too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pootybutt posted:

So ppl joke about it and all, but has FOX News and their ilk actually said anything about this show yet?

No, they pretty much don't give a poo poo. I think like one dude scoffed about Tyson saying evolution 'was just a fact' doing the whole 'THEN WHY IS IT THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION' but the people who were all 'oh god I can't wait, Fox News is gonna just lose their poo poo' were dumb.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hooke apparently was a grotesque mutant, pot head, and diabolical supervillain.

The crazy thing is he's not even exaggerating much, Hooke was a fuckin crazy historical figure.

Like, you can argue the degree to which he was a diabolical trifling bitch and all but no one can claim it's an inaccurate title.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mister E posted:

They're nice pictures! I'd have that on my coffee table. Not sure what I'd do with 99 more copies though.

Pay people who have offered lesser services, duh.

"Thanks for mowing my lawn man take a couple copies of fish book".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hahahaha his fuckin wife doesn't know what to do with these lovely books.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

surf rock posted:

I have some serious doubts about the historical accuracy of this dialogue.

"Bank note's due, bitch!"~ Newton

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BrideOfUglycat posted:

I like how they are pointing out that Christian can be scientists throughout this whole episode.

Yea after the first episode this one is such a better historical treatment, I'm really happy to see it wasn't falling into that "SCIENCE OR CHURCH PICK ONE" trope.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Haha lookit that retro rear end future :kimchi:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wait are the bounty hunters hunting animal bounties? I'll watch the gently caress out of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

spankmeister posted:

During the Fukushima business right after the tsunami he was fearmongering like you wouldn't believe. Spouting end of the world scenario's and everything. Not even dryly like some scientists do when they get baited into something but full blown fear mode.

I think he does this to score points and goes with the popular opinion not because he's concerned or wants to inform the public.

He really went down a few pegs on my ladder that day. Incredibly unscientific of him.

For some reason radiation makes everyone nuts. Nye was on CNN spouting some bullshit after the Fukushima thing too. The news basically grabbed any scientist they could and we all kinda got reminded that oh right being a scientist in one thing doesn't mean you're an expert in another.

• Locked thread