Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Welcome to J.J. Abrams' Magic School Bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like that he said life was basically dogs and bears and 'everything else'. That's a badass view of the natural world.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
"Every cell is a little universe" is something Sagan said isn't it?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This is like watching some nightmarish future with nanomachines mutating things into who knows what

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sash! posted:

This is like watching some nightmarish future with nanomachines mutating things into who knows what

Neil just played the Metal Gear Solid series.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I like that he said life was basically dogs and bears and 'everything else'. That's a badass view of the natural world.

Clearly, "is it a bear" and "is it a dog" are all you need to know to survive in this world.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It is pretty transparent that he lead in with artificial selection, right? That felt pretty expressly shaped for the segment of the population that tends to... disagree with this view of existence.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Oh god our entire universe could be part of a DNA structure for something on a whole different level.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I laughed at that salmon crashing into the side of that bear's face.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
A lot of poo poo has happened in 6000 years

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

404GoonNotFound posted:

Clearly, "is it a bear" and "is it a dog" are all you need to know to survive in this world.

It's all I need to get by.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

These polar bears aren't as cute as the Coca~Cola bears. :colbert:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Robnoxious posted:

These polar bears aren't as cute as the Coca~Cola bears. :colbert:

Disagree.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Coca~Cola bears don't get you eat freshly killed seals.
Seals taste nothing like Coke.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
So is that Oklahoma Fox affiliate just not going to show this episode? Also Fox News tomorrow morning is going to be glorious.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It is pretty transparent that he lead in with artificial selection, right? That felt pretty expressly shaped for the segment of the population that tends to... disagree with this view of existence.

I think it was a great example on how we can change life and transition into how nature does the exact same thing over more time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Leading in with artificial selection is the way to do it, going all the way back to Darwin. In the Origin of Species, Darwin spends the first quarter of the book dealing with the ways humans have shaped animals and plants. It's an extremely effective way to ease people into the idea that life can change over time by using examples they are likely familiar with and can be explicitly observed as having happened.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Wow, sounds like they're going to take creation head-on.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

jisforjosh posted:

So is that Oklahoma Fox affiliate just not going to show this episode? Also Fox News tomorrow morning is going to be glorious.

Did anything happen on Fox News after the first episode?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I also really like that they then jumped right into the DNA and mutation and built back up from there. It's a luxury Darwin didn't have - the ability to explain the specifics mechanics of how it happens.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is exactly what I was hoping this would be, no 'argumentative' (gently caress I hate that it's an 'argument') tone that the crazies can latch on to as that uppity science man insultin real murican values, just objectively stating the facts of things and if you get mad at that you have to get mad at the science and not shift things into a tone argument.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Sash! posted:

Even simple bits of cellular machinery look crazy. Those poor cdesign proponentsists never stood a chance.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Polar bear evolution is cool and all, but I really want to see some wooly mammoths.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So, how much of this is being edited out in Kentucky Oklahoma?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

jisforjosh posted:

They saw "natural selection" in the episode description and went NOPE

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Wow, sounds like they're going to take creation head-on.

It's goin down!

Fake edit: Wait trees? No way gently caress that!!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

404GoonNotFound posted:

So, how much of this is being edited out in Kentucky?

Just one long loop of an angry man going "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
"But what about our kinship with the trees? How does that make you feel?"

Uh, I dunno Neil, like you're high as gently caress?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Did that chimp just fling poo at Dr. Tyson?

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
ahahaha people are going to flip a poo poo over this

HE SAYS WE'RE RELATED TO TREES, WHAT A MORON

Myst Hat
Jul 10, 2004
I am not a mushroom! :bahgawd:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Myst Hat posted:

I do like him throwing shark in, that's pretty badass.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Is the audio in 5.1 on the HD version? I'm trying to watch on a hotel room TV and it sounds like it's a 5.1 not being mixed down to stereo correctly; Tyson is hard to hear, but everything else is very loud.

js86
Jul 22, 2012

Myst Hat posted:

You are a meat popsicle.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Konjuro posted:

Is the audio in 5.1 on the HD version? I'm trying to watch on a hotel room TV and it sounds like it's a 5.1 not being mixed down to stereo correctly; Tyson is hard to hear, but everything else is very loud.
It's awful here too

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Guh. The fact that he isn't Carl Sagan is a major problem for this series. He lacks the charisma, credentials, and intrinsic skill at PR that Sagan excelled at. I can't imagine anyone who isn't already convinced to find this interesting at all. The bros and broettes of the world won't give a poo poo. It's a shame Sagan is dead, he would be perfect for this sudden, unlikely mainstream surge in science.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

how do we know there's that many living things if we can't see any of them?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
And just imagine the amount of life that we'll never know because they didn't leave fossils :smith:

Hell think of the life in the oceans that we don't know because we only know about 1% of the ocean.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This is exactly what I was hoping this would be, no 'argumentative' (gently caress I hate that it's an 'argument') tone that the crazies can latch on to as that uppity science man insultin real murican values, just objectively stating the facts of things and if you get mad at that you have to get mad at the science and not shift things into a tone argument.

Tyson's style has always been more "science works", rather than taking on the opposition directly. EDIT: spoke too soon. But this is gonna be neat.

I love those leafy insects. So weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Aaaand there's the D-bomb. So long, flyover states!

• Locked thread