Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Spring 486 - The Audience Continues

The Earl sits quietly as Derek, Grigor, and Briant present both their tale and the proof thereof. But he cannot help a look of wonder (and perchance mild disgust) at the gruesome trophies rolled out before him. And his lips lift into an admiring smile as Grigor sings his part of the story.

He rises as Briant falls silent, then goes to each knight in turn and claps him warmly on the shoulders. "Wise was the Marshall the day he presented you for your sword and spurs in my hall," he declares. "For though you were not summoned to glorious battle against Saxons, you did not complain and did your duty. And yet you come back giantslayers and despatchers of devils in our woods! And aided our own King's most trusted advisor and confidant no less...."

The Earl turns toward his heralds and booms, "Tonight, a feast! To celebrate those who went with me to aid Prince Madoc, but also this knights brave and true!" Looking at the young knights, he says, "And you shall sit by the Marshall and other great knights this evening."

So it is that the Knights of the (is it Hound? I'm confused :ohdear:) find themselves in Earl Roderick's great hall with the sun down, the fires roaring, and the wine flowing. You jostle shoulders with Marshall Elad, Sir Amig, Sir Hywel, Sir Jaradan, and other notables as you devour roast boar and venison, eels and salmon, pies and victuals alike. Also Sir Floridas is there.

It is that last good and much admired (and much hated by at least one person) knight who stands and calls for everyone to take a drink. Fixing a hand on Sir Briant's shoulder, he calls out, "Let us have a glass to my dear cousin, Sir Briant the Giantslayer, and his companions true!" Several cheers go out as people drain their cups. Though you do notice some knights shoot angry glares in your direction.

OOC: Get some schmoozing in if you like. Christmas Court will be in Sarum, though, so I won't dwell on this scene too long. After all, you'll have many more people to impress and scheme with then! Including eligible ladies of the court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Sir Briant

At Floridas' toast, Briant drank deeply, hoping the mead might dull his hatred of his cousin enough to prevent his presence from marring the evening's festivities. As he places his cup down, he takes his chance to both claim an advantage and brush off Sir Floridas without negative consequence. "Many thanks, but we did no more than our sacred duty to Salisbury and The Crown. I have no doubt that, had other knights been here in our place, they'd have done no different. It is an honor and a privilege to be counted among such great and noble men as the knights of Salisbury!" As his cup is refilled, he raises it to propose a toast of his own, a simple toast, but one he almost believes sincerely. His friends, and by extension all his fellow knights, they were truly great men, men Briant was proud to use to further his own goals. The Knights of the Hound, or whatever they finally agree on calling themselves, Briant would make them the most famous men in the county. "To my dear fellows, and all brave knights of Salisbury!"

(Using Loyalty (Knights of the Something-Something) to hopefully boost Courtesy. Which turned out to be a wise decision because I rolled an 18 and that would have been bad if I'd used Courtesy on its own. Also it's a crit on the Passion so I guess it's 19 now. And since my courtesy is boosted to 35, this roll is a crit, too. The goal here is to pass Briant off as humble and patriotic, and perhaps indirectly paint Floridas as overly proud but I'm not gonna get my hopes up.)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Sir Rhun

Rhun, prideful though he sometimes is, is content to allow others to make boasts and toasts; he has drinking to do. Perhaps it is that he is still getting over the events with Merlin, or perhaps he's simply thirsty - either way, he... does not comport himself as genially as perhaps he might otherwise.

I was trying to decide how Rhun would act and decided 'maybe I should roll Indulgent to see if he stays sober enough to bother trying anything else,' and, well...

Indulgent: 1d20 10

Yeah, that's a crit. Ahem.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Pellogres

Modesty: 1d20 10, which means Pellogres is feeling pretty humble.

Pellogres smiles and accepts the toast, but shortly after finds himself pulling back from the celebrations somewhat, allowing his brothers-in-arms to take the lion's share of the accolades. He nods his thanks to Sir Briant for the kind words, and gives Sir Floridas a worthy reverence for his, but spends most of the celebrations on the periphery. As the night wears on, however, he notices Sir Rhun becoming a bit more lively than is perhaps wise. Moving over to his friend, Pellogres smiles and places a hand on Rhun's shoulder. "Perhaps, Sir Rhun, we might take our leave of the Earl's company? The hour is getting late." Pellogres looks around the room, hoping that he might spare his comrade the embarrassment of comforting himself as a drunken fool.

Passion check since I'm going to be trying to save face for our fellowship. Loyalty (Knights of the Hound): 1d20 1. I winced when I saw the 1, but realized afterwards that less is more with this game. Adding the bonus to courtesy and rolling up a courtesy check to see whether I can use my good manners to make up for Rhun's sure-to-be drunken hilarity. Courtesy: 1d20 16. Success with the bonus.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sir Bledri

While some of his companions boast, Bledri simply smiles. He's never been one for boasting, something that makes him unusual among the braggadocious knights of Salisbury. Nor does he drink too much, in spite of the imbibing of his companions. Instead, he spends the evening getting to know the other knights, and better familiarizing himself with the gentlemen and ladies of the court.

Rolling against Humble (13): 1d20 10
Rolling against Temperate (13): 1d20 12
Rolling against Courtesy (11): 1d20 15

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Grigor

Grigor's time, after presenting his ballad, is spent learning names and putting them to faces. He hasn't been a knight very long at all, after all.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Sir Derek

Derek felt honored by the way he and his companions were treated still instead of boasting he prefered to sit and talk of matters of the faith and duty with either Bishop Rogers or Father Tewi (or if possible both)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Spring 486 - The Season Concluded

Floridas seems somewhat taken aback at Briant's humble response to his call for a toast, but then beams and raises his glass before quaffing deeply of the wine along with everyone else. He squeezes Briant's shoulder and happily says to the knights nearby, "Rare indeed is it to find a knight equally modest as he is brave, and to think himself no greater than his fellows despite his great deeds!" This leads to yet more glasses of wine in Briant's---and the Knights of the Hound's---honor.

Some drink more heartily than others, but Rhun surpasses them all this evening. Thankfully, Pellogres manages to prevent the rougher aspects of Rhun's... exuberance from tarnishing his reputation. Briant's eloquent delivery and, of course, Rhun's part in killing the giant, nukalavee, and hound buy him additional patience from the less intemperate in the hall.

Though in days yet to come, he will often find himself wondering what song or poems he recited to make the maidservants whisper and giggle among themselves whenever they spy him.

Grigor's song, however, is remembered long after the feast has ended. Quite a few knights take time to compliment him on such a well-performed tribute. Sir Hywel and Sir Floridas seem particularly impressed. Even aloof Sir Jaradan, who has ignored each of the Knights of the Hound since meeting each of you, spares a moment to come by, slightly raise his cup, and say, "I have heard far worse sung in this hall" before moving on to get more wine.

As for Sir Derek, he cannot find the Bishop, but Father Tewi is happy to share wine, ribald jokes, and lewd comments about serving maids for as long as Derek can stand to listen. He does promise to introduce Derek to Bishop Roger at Christmas Court.

OOC: And that is the end of Spring 486! Winter Court post will go up later today after I get some sleep and am done with my appointments early afternoon.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Winter 486 - The Pendragon Comes To Sarum

The hot weeks of summer are long gone; so, too, are the bright red and orange leaves of autumn now gone, with black branches heavy with winter's snow. Christmas comes soon and with it King Uther himself, who has chosen Sarum for the last Crown Wearing of the year. Earl Roderick has invited everyone with station to the Christmas Feast, yourselves included. The celebration will last for a whole week, each night more festive than the last, until Christmas Eve comes and Uther holds the final court of the year.

Besides Uther, surely Prince Madoc will be present, and of course the Marshall, Sir Amig, and Sir Hywel. Perhaps more importantly for those of a marital bent, many eligible ladies will be present as well. A knight with an impressive enough reputation may find a potential bride this Christmas.

Also of note is that Christmas Feast is the time of year Earl Roderick awards his loyal servants their due (including knights such as yourselves). King Uther will receive gifts and tribute as well; traditionally, he rewards his servants as well, including the knights of his vassals....

As you each arrive in your turn to Sarum, you find it fair bursting with people of every station, from tinker to lord and lady. Mummers abound, as do friars and priests, many of whom try to keep the celebrations godly... and many of which happily drink and carol with the rest.

The Earl's great hall is festooned with banners, ribbons, and wreathes of holly. The tables fill completely every night, and though the trays and plates of swans, geese, venison, eels, and boars seem nigh endless, yet they are consumed to the last crumb every dinner. Thankfully King Uther brought wagonloads of beer and wine, else the Earl would have run out entirely the first meal.

All in all, it is a week each of you can celebrate as hedonistically or temperately as you choose. This is a time to meet with the notables of Salisbury or the counties beyond, to carouse, to catch up on news from throughout the realm, and to engage in intrigues or dalliances.

OOC: Let me know what you want to do in the days before the Christmas Eve dinner. You can make Intrigue rolls if you're of a mind (though do explain how you're trying to get that information if you do). Also, here is a list of potentially interesting people to seek out:
  • Prince Madoc (or his retainers)
  • Archibishop Dubricus, a Roman Christian whose see lies in Carlion and who is known to wish the British Church to subsume itself under Rome's leadership
  • Sir Elad, the Marshall
  • Sir Hwyel, Banneret of West Lavington, rich in property and with only a young daughter, who will inherit immense wealth one day
  • Sir Amig, lord of Castle Tilshead and a veteran protector of Salisbury
  • Sir Jaradan, cocky and womanizing, yet accorded the best swordsman in all Salisbury
  • Countess Ellen, the Earl's wealthy wife; quite a few knights have tried to ingratiate themselves with her, hoping to better their chances to wed the Roderick's and Ellen's daughter, the Lady Jenna, when she is old enough
  • Bishop Roger, the Bishop of Salisbury, a man both wealthy and worldly, known to visit London whenever possible
  • Father Tewi, personal confessor to Earl Roderick and his family, known to enjoy a good drink and the company of comely women

And here is a list of potential wives to court:
  • Lady Adwen - Young, beautiful, and rich (heiress to six manors). Her father, Sir Bles, died in battle several years ago.
  • Lady Elaine - A beautiful widow whose wicked lover slew her husband and was in turn hanged for murder. Rich, but not held in very high regard by many (especially the women of Salisbury). She is heiress to four manors.
  • Lady Gwiona - One of Countess Ellen's handmaidens and heiress of two manors. She has had a number of suitors, but all of them have died in battle after successfully proposing.
  • Lady Indeg - A forty-year-old widow of ridiculous wealth. She has five manors, two with knights in her service, and has considerable income besides.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

If Sir Rhun is at all embarrassed by the way some of the nobles whisper about his drinking (and the doubtless bawdy songs he assumes he sang; not that he remembers much, but 'I sang bawdy songs' is usually a safe assumption when you're the only notably devout Pagan in the region), he doesn't show it in the days before Christmas. The celebrations for Yule - generally recognized on the winter solstice, which tends to be a few days prior to Christmas - went well in Broughton, and the Old Faith remains relatively strong there... or as strong as Rhun can encourage it to be, at any rate.

It is perhaps unsurprising that he does not seek out the clergy to spend time with.

No, Rhun looks for the women.

Part of his motivation is that Rhun has an obligation to his family to produce an heir, to ensure that his family line remains fruitful. Part of his motivation is faith-based - the lord's fertility is reflected in the health of the land. His faith tells him that if his seed is strong, the land will be strong. And, well, part of his motivation is that Rhun just plain likes the ladies.

So why wouldn't he spend some time in the company of the young, lovely Lady Adwen? And why wouldn't he be a bit... flirtatious in so doing?

OOC: In the days leading up to the Christmas Court, Rhun is going to oversee the religious celebrations in Broughton, as discussed over the Winter Phase posts. If he still has the time to squeeze in some schmoozing, he's going to see if he can catch Lady Adwen's eye...

Love (Family): 1d20 9

Applying the Passion bonus to Flirting, making it 20.

Flirting: 1d20 20

oh yes yes yes please let this happen there'll be time to actually Romance the Lady once he actually has her attention but a crit Flirting should definitely serve to catch her eye...

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Sir Briant

(Remember how I said that if I found a way to spend my gold in a way that could possibly get me more Glory than the annual Make It Rain bonus, I'd do it? Fuckin'. Bingo. Well, I had fifteen pounds at year's start. First off, the three pounds I'm using to get to 9 for Make It Rain annual spending, all three are going towards contributing to the party this year. Top-shelf wine and such. But then the entire rest of the twelve pounds from my ransom is going to be spent on having commissioned something so ridiculously swank for the king that it invokes that old rule of storytelling where you shouldn't really describe something meant to be superlative, because the reader's imagination will do better than anything you could come up with.)

(Okay, I'm gonna be rolling a lot in this post, so here's the rolls. First, Hospitality roll of 8, which I'll be using to boost Courtesy for the purposes of impressing my superiors at this Winter Court. Then comes the first Courtesy roll, for making a baller entrance without pissing anyone off too much. 7 under 25, boosted to 12. Then, hit the genuflect button and give kingy-poo his present, a 19, boosted to a critical. Lastly, time to do the actual hobnobbing, particularly towards Sir Hywel, because Briant may not be suave enough yet to woo the ladies, but he can sure as hell impress their dads. 15, boosted to 20 exactly, another crit.)

In the days prior to the yule festival, Sir Briant was seen little by the other people of Salisbury. Rumors filtered out of Newton that Briant was meeting with people in secret, exchanging coin, but for what, none could say. None of his visitors appeared foreign, though, all were dressed as merchants and craftsmen. It was suspected that Sir Briant was working on some hidden construction, though why he would hide it was a mystery. However, all questions were answered that night, in Sarum, not long after the festival had begun, though long enough that there were no speeches being held at the time.

Briant arrived, not with the humility he'd often feigned in the past, but followed by a company of retainers bearing barrels of wine, ale, and other expensive delights, much of it imported from regions not currently considered enemies of England. He himself was dressed in resplendent finery, and he gave a hearty laugh as he strode into the hall, greeting his fellow men warmly. "Good tidings to you all, friends and comrades, in this most holy time of year! Some may remember that last year, I received a windfall in the form of ransom. Through the months hence, I wondered what I might do with the bulk of that gold, that I might share my good fortune. When I heard that we were to be graced by our great and noble king, King Uther Pendragon himself, I knew precisely what to do! I was inspired by our lord, Earl Roderick, and his boundless hospitality, and have thus brought yet more food and drink, that no amount of feasting could exhaust this year's bounty! So, my dearest countrymen, raise a glass to king! To country! To every god-blessed man, woman, and child of England! And let this Christmas be the merriest in all the world!" Briant threw his arms wide in an expression of joy and mirth, laughing merrily as he walked further into the hall.

He then approached the king, taking to his knee at the appropriate distance. "Your highness, I have brought you such tribute as befits the high honor you have bestowed upon us with your visit at this time of year, my squire is wheeling it in presently." Briant's squire then appeared, coming through the doorway, tugging a rope with no small difficulty. At the end of the rope is a flat cart, upon which stood a gift of such opulent decadence, that it was as though the creator had taken the idea of a year in the life of a wealthy Banneret Knight and condensed it into solid form. Briant waited for the king's reaction.

(Okay, just realized, kinda jumped the gun on that last Courtesy roll, I'm gonna keep it, but it'll be used on my next post, after we see how the king likes his vague-but-totally-rich gift.)

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Derek

As the celebrations aproached. Derek arrived into Sarum. He had confessed his sins already to a priest as it's the proper christian thing to do so he could be part of the celebratory mass honoring the birth of the son of god.

In the city he decided to approach lady Ellen, not so much to try to convince her (And the earl)of him as a possible husband for fair Jenna as the daughter of an Earl was above the station of a knight such as he. His sight was centered in spending time with the countess and her entourage including of course the beautiful Lady Gwiona

OOC:

The plan is like this. First love of family as Derek wishes to increase his

Love thy family: 1d20 10

Success now unlike Rhum who gave his bonus to Flirting him dealing directly with Adwen, Derek will attemp being courteous towards lady Ellen hopefully earning her help during courtship towards Gwiona [And maybe other stuff that ibntumart wishes to throw my way]

Courtesy please: 1d20+1 13

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

First things first, we'll see if Pellogres behaves himself. Temperate: 1d20 5. Looks like he's going to stay pretty abstemious in his diet and drink. Also rolling Loyalty (Lord) to add to courtesy since, as per usual at these events, Pellogres understands fully that his behavior will reflect directly back onto the Earl and he wants to make sure that he is not the problem child. Loyalty (Lord): 1d20 8. Success! Adding to Courtesy. Also rolling a d6 to see which of the six listed potential wives most piques his interest. Falling in love: 1d6 5. Going off the order listed (with Sir Hywel and Earl Roderick's daughters as 1&2, and the rest in order in your description post) that would make Lady Gwiona the object of Sir Pellogres's affections.

Pellogres comforts himself according to his nature - withdrawn and without much boasting or outward celebration, but the smile on his face as he watches his friend Sir Briant present his gift to the King shows that his inward, private celebrations are quite dramatic. As the celebrations wear on, however, Pellogres continues to watch more than participate. After a long while Pellogres manages to break out of his shell and socializes with Sir Jaradan and Sir Amig for a time. Courtesy check: 1d20 8, success on my courtesy check. Sharing merry tales with the pair of knights, Pellogres seems to be in rare form as he describes the mossy, rotting odor of the four-armed swordsman, amongst other tales of their adventures.

Eventually, watching Sir Rhun dancing and flirting with Lady Adwen causes him to become severely contemplative, however. Pellogres begins to remember his childhood, and how inspired he was to take up the blade by his father's glorious death in fighting for the King. Pellogres worshiped his father, and that experience has shaped his life ever since. While Pellogres is still young, he understands all too well that a knight can die at any time, and that a knight must be prepared with an heir almost immediately. He and his comrades have been lucky up till now that they have all lived to tell their tales, but perhaps that will not always be so...

Excusing himself from Sir Amig and Sir Jaradan, Pellogres wanders for a time, contemplating his actions and becoming deeply introspective. Eventually his foul mood is broken when he looks up and, across the room, spies a beauteous creature as if for the first time. Lady Gwiona is standing nearby Countess Ellen, the light from a nearby torch casting shadows on every figure around her even as her own face is dramatically illuminated. Her eyes shine brightly and seem to stare directly into the very soul of the young knight, and Sir Pellogres is very nearly knocked to the ground as she gazes at him. Gathering his courage, Sir Pellogres very nearly leaps across the room to her side, forgetting entirely the niceties of society. Waiting for her service to Countess Ellen to be at an end for a time, Sir Pellogres walks to her and reverences low.

"Lady Gwiona, I am Sir Pellogres of Woodford. I hope you will forgive my presumption, but I had to meet you this evening. I am no great wordsmith, but I am true of heart. I wish to inform you that I have been smitten by your beauty, and it has felled me with more passion, and more fury than the blows of any man or beast that I have yet fought. If you should tell me to leave, I should leave. But please, ask of me not to leave. I would be glad to hear your words simply because they are your words, but please do not ask me to leave." Pellogres looks up into her eyes, and rises to his full height for the first time in the Earl's hall. Pellogres is a tall, muscular man, but his natural introspection means that he usually holds his head held low and his shoulders bent forward, making him seem nonthreatening and approachable at all times. Now, though, the purpose that he has been instilled with has given him an entirely different posture, making him almost unrecognizable even to his close friends.

Love (Family): 1d20 10. Succeeds, discarding my previous passion to use this as a +10 to courtesy for the purposes of introducing myself to the object of my affections. And glad I did, because Courtesy: 1d20 19, which succeeds thanks to the +10 bonus to my base score of 15 in courtesy.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Winter 486 - Christmas Court In Session (However Belatedly)

Just a word of warning... this got kind of long, so I'm breaking this up into two posts. You can feel free to respond to what happens in this first post. I'll treat it as flashbacks while moving forward with the events in the second post.

Also, I moved Briant's gift-giving to the second post because, well, you'll see why it makes sense when you get to that part!

Sir Rhun's service to his pagan gods may have brought him luck, for of all the men vying for Lady Adwen's attention the first night of feasting, it is at his side she deigns to sit for most of the night. She asks him many questions about his faith, displaying polite shock but nonetheless insatiably curious. She wonders aloud what a pagan's manor looks like and her desire to explore one in more temperate weather, her arm brushing against Rhun's clandestinely but enough times not to be accidental.

Lady Ellen receives Sir Derek politely at first, then with some interest as they converse. While she is courteous and even playful in her words, Derek detects a suspicious undercurrent in her conversation. But once Derek starts to speak of Gwiona---in, of course, an oblique and chaste fashion---the Lady Ellen's composure relaxes. Most men probably approach her with designs on eventually winning Lady Jenna's hands. Derek has chosen wisely to do otherwise. When Lady Ellen at last quits his company, she does so with a smile and a thanks for the pleasant conversation.

He may not have a courtship yet, but at least he has made a solid first step.

But Sir Pellogres opts for a more direct advancement of his goal. Lady Ellen and Lady Gwiona are both caught by surprise at his forwardness. Yet his voice is so impassioned, and his words fair both in form and content, so they relent quickly from their silence. Lady Ellen speaks to Pellogres, saying, "If my handmaiden does wish it, she may be excused to speak with Sir Pellogres for a time. So long as you leave not my sight and utter only chaste and goodly speech to my servant."

Lady Gwiona blushes, not daring to meet Pellogres's eyes as she answers softly, "I do wish it."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Winter 486 - Christmas Court, Continued

At last, the final day of feasting has come. It is Christmas day and you have all gathered in the hall. Servants have moved the long tables to the side or outdoors so that the great hall can fit the many nobles, knights, and their retinues within its walls. Upon the throne sits King Uther, his son Prince Madoc and Earl Roderick flanking him in gilt chairs, while you stand among those closest to the entrance. Only the landless knights of Salisbury stand closer, but then, you are all young yet and after all, mayhap the day will come that you sit by kings, too.

And why not think ambitious thoughts? For today is the day of rewards. Earl Roderick calls his servants before him, one and all, from stable boys to vassal, and gives them their due for the past year in his service. All the knights of Salisbury receives a fine set of clothing befitting their station and the Earl's well wishes. Earl Roderick seems to hurry through this compared to prior years, and it is soon apparent why: King Uther will do the same, and more besides.

His retinue, knights, and nobles receive gifts suiting their station, although of fine quality in every case. Prince Madoc's is the most exorbitant: besides a suit of polished new mail, Uther bestows upon him several manors alongs the Thames and Windsor Castle besides. But then it is time for the vassals to pay tribute to their king, and here is where the show truly begins.

Sir Briant is one of the few knights to present a gift, and an impartial observer would judge it the best given---from a man of his stature. Yet King Uther seems more impressed, as well as amused, by Briant's bravado. He laughs with merriment at the young knight's speech and thanks him for his generosity. He asks Briant to repeat his name once more, as if committing it to memory, before dismissing him.

The Earl meanwhile had seemed rather anxious until Uther's laugh, at which point he manages a relieved smile and nods at Briant. (Whether he also rolled his eyes briefly Sir Briant wasn't entirely sure.)

Soon it is the nobles' turn to give their presents. Earl Roderick gifts a cloak of purest white fur, crafted from white bears in Norway. The dukes and counts all give extravagant gifts as well. But Prince Madoc gives the final and most marked upon gift. He claps his hands and ten men enter, bearing several stretchers on their shoulders. They lay out chests in a half-circle before King Uther, turning them first to face him, then to the audience within the hall.

Even from your vantage point, you can see much of the treasure flowing forth from the chests. One is full of silver coin, another of gold; one bears jewels that glitter green and blue, another gleaming red; goblets and plates of precious metal spill out of one, and a pile of necklaces, bracelets, and rings from another; bolts of silk and gold cloth poke out of a chest next to another full of gleaming silver thread. After everyone has spied their contents, Prince Madoc stands up and removes a large bundle of cloth from one of the stretchers.

He unfurls it, rolling it onto the floor so that its tail lies inches from his father's feet. It is the battle standard of a Saxon chief, slain in battle earlier this year. Uther claps his hands and laughs with delight and the hall fills with cheers. Then the king steps down and examines the treasure firsthand.

And then he begins to distribute it to those in the hall. One by one, King Uther passes by every noble and knight, halting only to get more treasure from the chests before continuing. For each of you, he shoves a fistful of silver coin into your cupped hands.

Finally the last gift has been given, the last thanks uttered, and King Uther sits back on the throne. Prince Madoc's men move the treasure chests and what's left within them out of the hall, while the Earl's men start to move tables back in preparation for the Christmas feast. As you move out of the way, suddenly a herald runs in. His face red and sorely winded, yet he manages to loudly squawk,"Pre---huff---presenting the Guardian of Britain, the---cough!----wizard unsurpassed, Merlin!"

Merlin comes in just as the herald speaks his name. His gait is impatient as he approaches the throne, but you spy a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. Everyone murmurs with surprise and speculation, but King Uther calls for silence and then addresses his surprise guest. "Welcome, Merlin! For thus you ever are in my halls and those loyal to me."

Merlin nods and thanks him, then speaks in a tone loud and clear to all within the hall. "Gold and silver, clothing from far distant lands; these are surely gifts worthy of a king. Yet you, Uther, deserve more, for surely no one in the world has ever sat as high as you, not even the emperors of Rome.” Uther is clearly flattered. “Yet, even you lack one thing.” The king frowns, the room murmurs. “Such a great man deserves nothing but the best, and he who would bring peace to the whole of our great land deserves all that would help him to obtain it. And so I, your humble servant, am pleased to offer you, from my weak hands, this.”

From his robes he pulls a sword that shines with a light all its own, radiant and pure. The room fills with gasps of wonder and appreciation. The king himself appears dazzled by its beauty and he stands, reaching his hand halfway to the brilliant sword.

Merlin wraps his hand in a fold of his robe and takes hold of the sword by its point. Presenting it to King Uther, he half-shouts, "For the High King, the Sword of Victory, Excalibur!"

Silence blankets the room as Uther clasps the sword. Then he raises it high and the crowd’s reaction sounds like thunder, so loud and vigorous are the cheers and applause. Regarding the sword with something akin to reverence, the King says, “Surely now none can stand before me.”

Merlin replies, “All you need do now is remain just.”

King Uther holds the gleaming sword and stares at it in wonder. “Now I’m prepared to visit some friends of mine.” Ulfius, standing nearby, chuckles loudly. Uther announces that one of these “friends” will be Duke Lindsey. He names the nobles who will accompany him, and among them is Earl Roderick.

Then his thoughts return to the present. “This is cause to celebrate,” says Uther. “Bring forth the tables! And make a place at my right hand for Merlin, whose wisdom and truth guides our good land.”

“Thank you, Lord,” says the magician. He turns to the crowd, his eyes seeking something or perhaps someone. And then he finds what he sought---you.

He points a finger in your direction and turns his face to Earl Roderick. “Watch these men
well, and give them rein to help Britain,” he declares, “For it is under their protection I did win Excalibur from its keeper.”

More applause follows, as well as a thoughtful (albeit momentary) look in your direction from King Uther and a lengthier look of approval from Earl Roderick.

Then the tables are brought in and the feast begins in earnest.

After hours of copious feasting, drinking, and conversation, Earl Roderick calls upon you to approach his table near the throne and stand before the hall. Then he addresses you.

“With the permission of His Majesty, and if it be not forbidden to tell, lord Merlin, I charge you knights to regale us all with the tale of your adventure! Sir Briant, speak first, though all shall have their turn. And Sir Grigor, do not think we have forgotten the verses you composed or that shall escape reciting them here again!”

OOC: King Uther's gift of silver is worth £1. Also, let’s have some Orate rolls! You get 50 Glory no matter what, but a critical roll nets you another 50. I’m probably not going to allow any Passion rolls for this unless you’re very persuasive.

I strongly advise you to save your Coins for now, by the way. All this honor being heaped upon you just may result in some spontaneous extra (and dangerous) responsibilities in the very near future.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 19, 2014

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

BEFORE

Pellogres's eyes grow suddenly wide as he realizes that he has forgotten the rules of courtesy entirely by speaking directing to the Lady Gwiona, but smiles at Countess Ellen's words. At hearing Lady Gwiona's assent to his attentions, Pellogres beams with pride. "Yea, Countess Ellen, I assure you that my words will be filled with naught but respect and we shall not flee your sight."

At this, Pellogres excuses himself with Lady Gwiona, though carefully staying well within the sight of Countess Ellen to prevent any further controversy. Doing his best not to lose his nerves, Pellogres continues speaking to the Lady Gwiona for some time, but begins to feel embarrassed at his lack of skill in anything but courtly protocols and combat procedures. Eventually, Pellogres smiles and bows his head, "Lady Gwiona, I have told you that I am no great wordsmith, and this is true. I am no great singer, composer, or dancer besides. But I am earnest in my love for you, and shall do all that I may to prove my quality. I have no doubt that my companions and I will be setting off in the Spring to bring glory for Earl Roderick's name, but I would tell you honestly that my interest this day is in bringing glory for your own. Tell me what you would wish of me, and I shall do my utmost to make myself worthy of your gaze, but I shall dedicate my strength of arms, skill of sword, and all of my passions to you." Pellogres raises his gaze to meet her own as he awaits her response.

I'm waiting on making a post for the big fat feast until after Briant has gone, since he's starting the story, but I figured I'd make Pellogres be a big goober again while I had the time to post.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

Before Court

"Ah, 'tis a sight to see," Rhun finds himself telling Lady Adwen, the color in his cheeks not entirely due to drink. "The solstice is the time of rebirth, the time when the sun begins its return to us, and we celebrate to honor that return. There is a great feast - even the peasantry feast, and bring what victuals they can for all to share - and song, and dancing... aye, and quite a bit of drinking, it must be confessed. For do not all joyous births merit celebration?

"There is blood as well, it must be confessed... some of the livestock is bled before being cooked, for birth oft demands blood. It is a messy, wild, joyous revel, for it marks the return of life to our lands, and to our hearts. We celebrate Mother's Night ('Mōdraniht') the night before, and Yule celebrations begin at sunrise, and it goes until none can keep celebrating." Rhun pauses here, smiles an almost mischievous smile, and notes, "You would not mislike them, if I am any judge. Perhaps one day, if the Gods are kind, I will be able to show you..."

Interestingly, Rhun does not lower his voice when describing the religious ceremonies he has just presided over, nor does he shy away from describing any of the bloodier aspects (though he does, at least, not describe the more... adult aspects of some of the ceremony, out of consideration for mixed company. A canny listener can intimate enough details to get a good idea, but he is at least vaguely subtle). By his reckoning, part of his duties as a representative of the Old Faith in Salisbury is to educate; if some of Adwen's other suitors, or any other nearby lords and ladies, happen to learn a bit about Pagans, then by his reckoning that can only be a good thing. Besides, his faith demands Honesty of him.

"As for the manor of a pagan, I would be delighted to show you - and, of course, any chaperones you and your family would wish to accompany you." Here his grin is broader, more amused. "I know well the reputation my faith has among some of those who know no better, after all, and have no wish to scandalize anyone!" Besides, he thinks but does not say, in my own manor there would be plenty of opportunities to evade any such chaperones... "I assure you, fair Adwen, that pagan or Christian, no manor could fail to be brightened by your presence."

At Court

The prospect of perhaps arranging a visit from the fair Adwen has kept a smile on Rhun's face for some time now, and it does not fade when the time for Court arrives; indeed, it must be admitted, that when Uther has distributed gifts of his own, Rhun's mind immediately leaps to wondering how he can best use these unexpected funds to purchase a gift worthy of Adwen's attention. That she might possibly be interested in him gladdens his heart, but that she is at least willing to give the appearance of being interested in his faith as well... he did not expect such. Knowing that the noblewomen of Salisbury are for the most part Christian, he had expected no more than - if he was lucky - polite acceptance of his faith, as though it were an uncouth habit that must be tolerated; interest, even possibly-feigned interest, is a gift more valuable to him than the silver which Uther has just pressed into his hands.

Such thoughts vanish, however, upon the herald's announcement of Merlin; Rhun has to concentrate not to drop anything, and bows his head in obvious reverence, pausing only to sneak a peek at Excalibur; his heart swells with pride as he realizes from whence it came, a realization that is confirmed when Merlin points the Knights of the Hound out to the High King himself. Here does he straighten once more, proud and heartened to have been acknowledged.

Rhun waits his turn to speak his tale, taking the time afforded him to consider how best to present the actions of himself and his comrades. Should he feign modesty, or perhaps... but no, that is not his way. Perhaps more importantly to him, it is not the way of the Old Gods.

OOC: I couldn't decide if I wanted Rhun to be Modest or Proud - I could make a case for either, given that puffing himself up in front of the entire Court might be somewhat rash even for him, despite his natural inclinations towards pride - so I rolled against his Proud of 13:

http://orokos.com/roll/222558: 1d20 10

And so, when he is called upon to tell his part of the tale - whichever part of the tale that may be - he does so without false modesty. Indeed, why should he not be proud? Has not his actions, and those of his fellows, led directly to the gleaming Sword of Victory which even now adorns their King's figure? Was he not among those facing down a fearsome nucklavee, and even a giant? Did he not readily and unhesitatingly follow Merlin, without the questioning and griping that afflicted some of his comrades? Nay, he has cause to be proud, he reckons, and while he is far too Honest to take credit for the actions of others, he will not shy away from taking the credit that he feels he earned.

And the Orate roll, against Orate 7:

http://orokos.com/roll/222560: 1d20 2

Not a crit, but not a failure either, so I'll take it!

My apologies for not holding off on the speech until after Briant had a chance to start things off - that's why I made Rhun's tale-telling as vague as I could - but I wanted to get all of this out at once. Also, since Courtly Love hasn't been invented yet, I won't bother asking if I can generate an Amor passion for Adwen, but suffice it to say that Rhun's sights are pretty much locked-in at this point. Moo hoo hah hah.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

(My Orate roll was a critical success. Five for five. If only I rolled like this in all the other games I'm in. PS If my info is a bit off, sorry, it's been a while since then, so just mentally replace any wrong names or descritions with the right ones.)

Briant could hardly contain his elation at the look he'd received from the king. He knew he could not hope to match the gifts of higher-ranked nobles, but given that Uther Pendragon could acquire nearly anything he desired, Briant knew it was the presentation that mattered. Having simply earned the king's attention was honor enough for the ambitious young knight, and he spent next few hours mingling in a more reserved manner. When commended by Merlin, Briant chose to match his fellows in their level of glee, best to be seen as a part of a team in that situation, rather than stand out. Then, he was asked to give the story, and his false humility once again fell away.

"Ah, t'was a grand tale, though it lasted but a single night. My fellows and I were charged with patrolling the county to ensure no brigands would attempt to take advantage of our brothers' absences. On the final day of our patrol of the perimeter, mere hours from Sarum, we came upon a most curious old man. He did say he was a humble goatsherd to our lord, Earl Roderick, and he asked a boon of us, that we might help him retrieve his prize goat, a truly massive example, as big as a horse, or larger! Some of us feared he was in league with thieves and blackguards, hoping to distract us. I, myself, was rather skeptical. However, the goatsherd convinced us that he had naught but the best interests of Salisbury at heart, and off we went, towards a hill, upon which the goat was conveniently grazing."

Briant paused a moment, to let anticipation build in those who know how the story goes.

"However, when we crested that hill, we saw below it, the giant known as Bad Tom, a name we learned later from Merlin. He eyed as as a child might eye a sweetroll, but our blades carved into him with God-given strength, felling him before he could take a single swing at us with the tree he'd uprooted to use as a club. It was then that Merlin revealed his ruse, having wished to test our good intentions, as our next task, as our king has just seen for himself, was a matter of great importance. We were led into a forest, where we encountered a pair of fairy creatures blocking our path. Merlin went ahead to ensure his success, while my companions and I fought off the beasts. The fairy dog was made short work of by s pair of us, leaving Rhun, Pellogres, and myself to face what Merlin would later call a Nukalavee. It wielded two swords with four arms, and looked as though a clump of ivy had begun to move! Rhun took the brunt of the creature's attacks, as Pellogres and I tore it apart with our blades! Those very blades were presented to Earl Roderick as a trophy, that the adventure never be forgotten. However, none of that could compare with what we saw next, a sight so wondrous that Merlin wisely advised it be saved for this very moment!"

Briant paused for impressed reactions to Merlin's foresight. Briant found himself fairly impressed, as well, that Merlin had already known Uther would be here.

"On the other side of the mysterious fairy forest, we saw a sparkling, clear lake, the likes of which I've never seen. From it, rose a blade, held aloft by a woman's hand, the rest of her body hidden beneath the water. It was from her hand that Excalibur was given to Merlin, that he might present it to our king. When we resumed the final few miles of our patrol, we noticed that several hours more had to have passed than we'd experienced, adding one more to the growing number of mysterious happenings. That is our humble story, thank you all for listening, especially those of you who'd heard me tell this tale once before, a true testament to patience!"

Briant paused for laughter before reaching his conclusion.

"However, we are no more brave, or valorous, than any man here tonight! We simply did what any of us would have done in that same situation."

(Okay, there's my version of events, helped by that hellishly good roll on Orate.)

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 21, 2014

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

Following Sir Briant, Bledri stands up to speak. He has been quiet this Christmas Court. His brother is still missing, and in spite of his family's efforts, they have not yet found him. Bledri has to think the young man is dead, although he still prays that young Arwel still lives. It has been a year since he vanished, and the grim anniversary casts a pall over the Christmas season. So, while many of the other knights were engaging in their games and their flirtations, Bledri tended to his cups, and would give no more than a wan smile over the jests of the rest. If only he could know that his brother still lived! He would ride through armies if needed, and bribe, cajole, and threaten his companions to follow him. Alternately, if he knew that his brother was dead, he could mourn him properly, his grief collecting as like a boil, and then bursting, healing betimes. But this uncertainty drives him between hope and despair, between compulsion and apprehension, and no relief is possible.

So, when Bledri speaks, it is with a heavy heart, and undiplomatic tongue. He was never a spokesman, and is even less of one now, especially because, on top of his grief, the whole incident upset him at the time.

"There's little I can add to Briant's story, my lords, except to say that it was Sir Derek and I who fought the dog while the rest of our party was fighting the plant-man." He stops for a minute, pensive, not sure what he should add. "It seems to me, my lords, that it is stout hearts, strong arms, and a noble and pious spirit that brings victory, not magic swords, and those things the High King Uther has in abundance. So Duke Lindsay has good reason to fear."

Orate (Against 3): 1d20 13 Failure

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Derek

Before court

Derek was really happy, yes the talk with lady ellen started a bit tense for reasons that were obvious even for him. But once he talked about lady Gwiona and she relaxed everything started to work just perfectly. He felt he had a shot at this and to woo the beautiful lady with the help of the wise and kind lady Ellen.

At court

Super modest as gently caress roll go 13: 1d20 1

The words of Merlin and his companion ringed too kind against Derek's ears his modest nature letting them talk but trying not to draw too much attention on himself

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Winter 486 - The Knights Entertain the Court

Before

Lady Gwiona's eyes widen at Pellogres's words and a small hand goes to her mouth, not quite hiding her smile. But is it amusement or joy? "You are bold with your words, sir," she says. "Bolder than I am accustomed to." After a long pause, she adds shyly, "Though in truth, I am not much offended."

OOC: You can go for broke and make a Flirting or Romance roll here to determine here and now if you've lit a spark, left her cold, or earned her scorn... or you can just get into her good graces for now and make a more definitive move next Winter.

Elsewhere in the hall, Adwen laughs at Rhun's words and her cheeks blush. "I have heard tell that pagans are generous, e'en to a fault, and so far as words go, you prove the stories true," she says. "And in truth, I do wish to know more of our fair county. Mayhap this spring, should your duties not call you from your manor, then shall I and my cousins visit in our wanderings."

After

Briant's tale is first, both in timing and in acclaim. They gasp and applaud as he weaves his story of giants, wizards, and unseelie foes, and when he reaches Merlin's taking the sword, the hall booms with cheers. The Earl is fair beaming as nobles and knights alike clap Briant on his back and praise both his bravery and his words. Earl Roderick beckons to a servant and whispers in his ear.

Rhun and Derek's stories are capable enough and earn them fair applause, but after all, Briant's version is hard to follow. They don't care for Bledri's attempt at all, an uncomfortable quiet descending as he finishes his tale. Pellogres and Grigor would rightfully find themselves anxious at having to take their turns.

Mercifully, they are given momentary respite. The servant has come back with some samite and the two swords of the nuckalavee and presents them to Earl Roderick, and drops something into his palm that you cannot make out. The Earl takes one of the swords and strides to Briant. "So that your part in this sword lake adventure shall never be far from your mind or mine, I entrust this blade to you and your fellow Knights of the Hound," he intones. Wrapping the blade in the samite cloth, he bids Briant take the sword. Then he instructs Briant to hold out his hand, in which he drops a gold ring with a glittering emerald.

"Let us hear the rest of his companions' tales," he calls out. Returning to his gilt chair, he beckons at Pellogres and Grigor to have their say.

OOC: 100 Glory to Briant, 50 to Rhun and Derek. Also, the ring Briant received is worth £1.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sir Grigor

Before

Grigor is not adept in court, and he knows it. Still, he makes a game effort - and, perhaps more notably, he makes a game effort to make a good impression with Lady Elaine. There are rumors about her and she is not held in high regard, but Grigor has always believed in second chances, being a particularly generous fellow. He is happy to talk to her and offer his hopes that she is being treated well, but his words are poorly chosen and he's occasionally tripping over himself to correct them.

At least he means well.

Courtesy: 18 fails.

After

Grigor kneels as he is addressed. "I would be honored to sing you those verses again, my lord! If I may just wet my throat, I shall begin."

And then, after a drink of wine, Grigor launches into his song once more. The man sings like a nightingale and always has, though this time is not quite so moving as the first time. It's an excellent effort, still, but his earlier embarrassment means that he is not superlative.

When his song is finished, he bows.

"I can add no speech to this song, I feel. What words I have, I give to you thus."

Singing: 9 succeeds but does not crit.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Winter 486 - The Festivities Draw To Their Close

Before

Lady Elaine seems somewhat surprised at Grigor's approach, for no woman sits to converse with her and what men do are rather direct in proposing discussion of marriage. Fumbling though Grigor fears his words to be, she still smiles and speaks with him at length. Merlin particularly interests her and she presses Grigor about his encounter with the Archdruid, giving rapt attention to his words.

OOC: Failing a Courtesy roll isn't fatal right now... it takes time to set up a marriage and small missteps will happen now and again!

After

The Earl applauds Grigor's song, which is well-received if not uproariously so. And thus the feast draws to a close: shortly after Grigor's last note is sung, King Uther and his retinue make to leave. The other nobles follow in due course, while servants move tables so that knights who choose to (or have no other option) can unfurl their bedrolls and sleep off their drink and gluttony.

All agree in the weeks afterward that it was a fine Christmas feast and one to be remembered for many years to come.

OOC: 50 Glory to Grigor. Also, not too late for Pellogres to make an Orate roll.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487 - The Earl Calls Upon the Knights of the Hound

Earl Roderick sends rider to each of your manors in the first week of March. You are to hie to Sarum four weeks after Pentecost. You will not be alone. Word has come that King Uther has ordered many of the lords of Logres to meet there, presumably for some great undertaking. Maybe the invasion of Frankland will come this summer. Or perhaps some of the more vexing Saxon chieftains will be dealt with?

The end of May comes in its due course. The warm days of imminent summer are tempered by the last cool breezes of spring, and a gentle shower the night before your ride leaves the road smelling of wet grass, your horse's hooves lightly coated with mud. By the time you arrive, the lords of the neighboring counties have already filled the Earl's halls. Busy as the Earl is seeing to his duty of hospitality, he yet finds time to give private audience to your small company.

Sitting in an ornately carved chair in one of the chambers abutting the great hall, he welcomes you back to Sarum and informs you Uther has selected the Earl, along with many others among his most trusted nobles, to form an embassy. They are to visit the Duke of Lindsey at the capital city of Lincoln. The Duke is a member of the Supreme Collegium and a vassal of the King's... but of late, a vassal slow to obey orders or even negligent. King Uther means to mend this problem.

But that is not the only reason nobles and knights are gathering in Sarum. Admiral Gwenwynwyn has called for volunteers to raid Saxons down the coast. Prince Madoc will lead the resulting Cymric force in battle. The raids will start around the same time as the embassy departs, so there is no question of a knight accompanying his lord to Lincoln and striking a blow against Saxon foes.

Here the Earl leans back in his chair and steeples his fingers. "Your deeds are uncommon for knights so young and untried," he says, "and I do believe your careers in my service will be well worth the watching. In consideration of your bravery, your skill, and service to King Uther, Merlin, and myself, I shall grant you a choice. Accompany me as part of the Lincoln embassy or sail with the Prince 'gainst the Saxons. I give the Knights of the Hound your head in this matter."

He rises. "Confer amongst yourselves and seek me in the hall proper within the hour."

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

The very instant the knights are out of earshot, Briant voices his opinion without hesitation. "Why, there's no question, we absolutely must aid in the extermination of the Saxon dogs! As long as they exist, peace cannot prosper in England! Only when every last one of the savages lies dead will we be truly safe." While Briant is glad for the chance to indulge his hatred of Saxons, he's also aware that glorious battle would serve his personal goals more than political victories. The Earl's esteem might be worth minor monetary gains and increased pull at court for a few years, but he'd not be awarding any manors, and he all but certainly had more important plans for his daughter. On the other hand, if Briant could show his mettle once more in combat with Saxons, perhaps claim a trophy, he could finally ingratiate himself thoroughly enough with Sir Hywel to request his daughter's hand! Additionally, should Prince Madoc be sufficiently impressed, the potential rewards were much greater.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

"It is a vexing question." Rhun frowns thoughtfully; in court, rather than on the field, it is easier for him to at least attempt to aspire to prudence rather than recklessly rushing forth. "A strike at the Saxons is a glorious path, and surely they needs must be struck down whenever the opportunity presents itself. That said... accompanying the embassy would earn us the chance to impress King Uther himself - not to mention that all the raids on Saxon lands that e'er will be will amount to nothing if the King's vassals cannot be counted upon to answer his call to arms. Either choice will be good for us all, and good for Britain as well; they are both worthy goals. My head tells me to accompany the Earl; my heart, to raid the Saxons. In truth, I know not which I should hearken to, and would be glad to hear your thoughts, my friends."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

ONE

Pellogres smiles to Gwiona. "Your words bring me great joy, and I shall do all that I can to see that smile on your face again. Still, I dare not offend the Countess. I shall keep my word - I will endeavor to prove myself and my worth to you, and all I ask is that you spare me a few kind thoughts now and then." With that, Pellogres bids her farewell cordially so as not to insult her honor, and excuses himself.

TWO

Pellogres chimes in several times during the speech to provide further details on such matters as the size and odor of the giant Bad Tom, or the dry rot of the Nuckalavee's mossy skin, and the sharp glow of the fae beast's eyes. Pellogres is normally a shy, modest sort, but his desire to impress the Lady Gwiona seems to have emboldened him in all matters, and he speaks eloquently, keeping the attention of the assembled warriors well, though perhaps not so richly as Sir Briant, who handles the bulk of the storytelling with his honeyed tongue.

Orate: 1d20 1. Looks like I got a success, which was not at all expected!

THREE

In the hallway, Pellogres listens to Briant and Rhun make their cases before stepping forward to speak. He, too, is torn between two minds as he is not a naturally aggressive man and does not treat war as anything to pursue lightly. Still, glory in battle might be the most impressive way to prove his worth in battle to the Lady Gwiona, and could give him the opportunity to collect some beautiful jewels and other trophies for her besides. Still, not all women are swayed by the glory of battle and warfare, and he does not wish to disgust her with naught but stories of pain and death. Finally, Pellogres breathes deeply and speaks. "I would suggest that we join with the embassy. We have a unique position in that we have made a strong name for ourselves, giving us the ability to lend our reputation to further glory for our lord. I too desire to protect our lands from the Saxons, but I believe we could be most valuable in convincing the Duke to honor his word."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sir Grigor

"I...don't really know which is the better decision." Grigor shakes his head. "While holding off the Saxons is always a duty to be enjoyed, but if any of the King's vassals are negligent in their duty to fight the Saxons, how can we ignore that? I leave it to those of you wiser than I to balance that decision."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

"Both tasks are an honor, and an opportunity for glory", Bledri reminds the rest of the group. "A knight or soldier who distinguishes himself in combat against the Saxons will no doubt win deserved praise and reward, not to mention the possibility of captives for ransom or sale. On the other hand, being a part of the embassy will put us in contact with many of the great nobles of the land, and with their favor, the path to advancement is made easier. So, from a selfish standpoint, neither is to be scorned. It comes down to what is best for the realm and where we can better use our skills."

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Derek

"If you ask me then we should go with Uther" Derek stated "What better way to serve king and land than to help the king unite the land" as for him the decision was easy to make. There were few tasks as noble as the one of escorting the king this was not about glory but about duty

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

"So then, we are agreed we should go on the embassy? After all, there will always be Saxons to kill, but an Embassy with the High King is a once in a lifetime event."

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Shrugging his shoulders, Briant makes a reply. "It appears that we're largely of two minds on this matter, but the weight of numbers lay slightly in favor of joining Earl Roderick. As much as it pains me to decline an opportunity to fight the Saxon dogs, I shall not dispute that which has been justly decided by the majority of our band. Let us make preparations to join the embassy, and inform the earl of our decision."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

Rhun nods, slowly. "I concur. It seems, in this, that we are all of two minds... but the balance falls to the side of the embassy. Let us go, then, and serve our Lord and our King in the best manner we can."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487 - The Knights of the Hound Ride With the King and Earl

The heat is mild for summer, and glad is the company that rides forth, for the ride from Sarum to Lincoln takes the better part of a fortnight. The king for all his retinue and hangers-on keeps a goodly pace, and thus inspires the other nobles to do likewise. You recognize Duke Ulfius of Silchester by sight, and several others by either arms or simply asking.

Merlin rides with Uther as well. Several times he disappears from the company, but even so, he is by the king's side shortly before the day's journey ends and camp is set up.

Your backs are somewhat sore and your legs ache by the time you arrive at Duke Lindsey's castle. King Uther did not see fit to enjoy the hospitality of a single castle or manor along the way. The Earl offhandedly remarks to Sir Briant that he often prefers to eschew distractions such as soft beds under warm roofs when traveling in haste with other men of high station. That is supposedly to ensure no one overdrinks or oversleeps, but is ready at first light to continue on.

But now Uther is here, along with his trusted lords and in turn, their most trusted knights. Duke Lindsey, however, is not here, as you all soon learn from Uther's angry shouts and strained red face. Merlin speaks to him in a hushed tone, and the king falls silent. Then Uther turns to all of you who came with him and announces, "Our vassal tours his county! But surely he shall return once our messengers deliver news of our arrival! Till then, enter Lincoln Castle, and let us sample the Duke's hospitality till we are graced with his presence."

So begins the wait. The lords retire within the castle halls proper, whereas vassal knights (such as yourselves) find the grass of the courtyard your camping ground. The days are yours to do with as you like. As for the nobles, they quickly get bored and plan a hunt on the fourth day. Of course, they have falcons, hounds, and gear with them, while the Knights of the Hound have only their normal gear.

Nonetheless, the Earl's herald approaches you on the third night and tells you that the Earl wishes you to go on your own hunt on the morrow. He will lend you hounds and, should you wish them, bows as well.

OOC: Anyone who wants may make an Intrigue roll now. Also, let me know what your knight is doing while waiting for Lindsey to show up. You are all free to explore and talk to whomever you want (or try to, anyway!). I'll move us along after everyone has a chance to describe what they're doing.

None of you has any idea how to properly use a bow, by the way.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Sir Briant nods his assent on the road when the Earl explains the king's preference for austerity in travel. Briant enjoys the luxuries of home and hearth as much as any man, but diligence is always a valuable trait, and it shows strong leadership to promote it in one's followers. However, he spends more time listening than speaking on the road. Not to glean information on goings-on as much as to learn about the people he travels with. If he's to make a good impression, he'll need to pay close attention.

When they've arrived and made camp at Lincoln, Briant's first priority is to begin properly introducing himself to the other vassal knights, and even those lords magnanimous enough to mingle with those of lesser station. His time spent listening pays off, as he can tell that his conversational skills are as good as they've ever been, with nary a word out of place. Only once he has satisfied his need for self-promotion does Briant pay any attention to possible rumors, but by that point, the gossip had faded in favor of discussion of the duke's impropriety in the face of a royal visit.

(I honestly have no idea how this keeps happening but you know what they say about gift horses. Critical success on Courtesy to make strong positive impressions on those men of the embassy that are reasonably accessible. Probably mostly/entirely fellow knights, but it's not unthinkable for a noble to come down and say hello, and Briant, ever the opportunist, would absolutely take a chance to try getting in any noble's good graces, if only because word of mouth is a powerful thing, and the more people that like him, and the higher they are in status, the better Briant's overall reputation will become, long-term. Got a 13 on my Intrigue roll, no biggie, didn't expect to succeed with a 3 skill, but it was worth a shot.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Surely the adventures of the Knights of the Hound shall not end like this! You haven't even helped Uther betray Cornwall yet.

The hunting scene honestly is just so the PCs don't have a season of just sitting around doing politics. We can just fast forward to the actual dinner and extra credit assignment you'll get tapped for.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
I say that is not possible. Our dear king Uther the man who carries the sword of victory does not need to betray those cornish dogs

Derek

Sir Derek was no stranger to the rough life on the road. Still nonetheless the summer heat during the day made the cool nights were greatly welcomed both due to the breath of fresh air and the company had with his fellow knights. Anyone looking at him would see how excited he was to be under the king's command. Doing well under his command would surely help impress Lady Gwyonna greatly.

Keeping an ear open for rumors or anything was unfruitful for the young knight whose mind kept wandering to his beloved Gwionna Altough if someone asked for the name of his beloved he would keep it under wraps to preserve her honor at least until it is the appropiate moment to share it with his companions but so soon after initiating courting was surely not the appropiate time.

Being in a camp surrounded by so many knights and lords around Derek knew he was representing not only himself but his lord and his king so he kept all his interactions towards the others in the camp proper and courteous. A friend made here could be a great ally in the future

LEts intrigue this thing! (Skill5): 1d20 8
Courtesy please: 1d20 5

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

Rhun has a problem. Namely... he's a little bored.

Some of that is his own fault - he did not argue against accompanying the King, after all, in fact he argued for it - but mostly it is that he is simply... out of his element. Oh, he can be charming enough, certainly, but in his heart he knows he is good at three things - fighting, being a good Pagan, and convincing pretty girls to sleep with him. Well, there's no one to fight around here, he's surrounded by Christians, and there aren't any pretty girls around.

Thus the news of a hunt - despite the fact that hunting is not a skill he excels at - cheers him immensely. Who knows? There's always the chance that they'll come across a fair maiden in the woods. Hey, stranger things have happened. Besides - the Earl wants it to happen, and that's all the reason a good Knight needs, yes? So it is that he requests the loan of hounds, though he passes on a bow; they are not knightly weapons, after all. In addition, he thinks to ask if it might be possible to acquire several boar spears, as the usual lance a knight carries lacks the crossbar used to keep an impaled boar from simply pushing itself down the spear and killing its wielder.

Intrigue: 1d20 19 - No one tells Rhun nothin'. Probably because he's too busy trying to sleep with their sisters.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

Bledri inspects his sword, making sure there's no rust on it. "Stop pacing, Rhun.", he says, looking up at the impatient knight. "Think of it this way. We're here because the King and Earl trust us to guard them. And your High Priest Merlin is with the company. How can you be bored in the presence of such exalted company? Plus, we're getting to go on a hunt of our very own. You won't get to kill any Saxons, but Saxons smell like boar and are about as smart as deer, so consider this practice." He holds out his sword and sights down it. "There, clean."

"See, you need to be more like Briant. The man is swooning being around all these important people. I saw him trying to chat up one of the King's pages the other day. Maybe he has the right of it. It's a way to get ahead, at least."

Intrigue (against 4): 1d20 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487 - The Knights Busy Themselves

At Lindsey

Sir Briant becomes quite popular among the assembled knights, and several times, one of the accompanying nobles sits nearby to exchange pleasantries. By the end of the week, each member of Uther's assembly knows him by name and sight, and even will usually deign to greet him in passing.

Sir Derek is somewhat less successful, though when people find out he is part of the Knights of the Hounds---or "Briant's Hounds," as a few people call your group---he is invited to sit and break bread or share beer a bit more often. The other knights also enjoy the fruits of Briant's work, finding their reputation increased somewhat by association with the brave and most courteous Sir Briant.

For all that, none of you learns any intelligences of note, or newsworthy stories either, focused as you are on fellowship, drink, wenching, or other concerns.

At last,the time for idleness ends and the Duke of Lindsey comes to his castle. You are all there when Uther comes forth to greet him, and Lindsey responds with curtness, barely within the realm of politeness. Yet to his credit, Uther does not bristle or let the smile upon his face shrink. Rather he waits for the Duke to dismount and enters the great hall with him. The rest of the nobles follow suit, and after the great hall is readied for a great feast, the rest of you are allowed entrance at last into Lindsey's halls.

On the hunt

Rhun's request is readily granted. In addition to the hounds, each knight receives the loan of a boar spear. And well-fated was Rhun's request, for in the early hours of the day, your snuffling hounds and keen eyes come upon the spoor and tracks of what seems to be a great boar. This will make a fine feast for the men camped in Lindsey's courtyard this evening... but will it be the Knights of the Hound to deliver this feast or the troupe of knights from Silchester who set out this morning as well?

OOC: Hunting - Normal Prey: 1d20 4
You are hunting a boar, with Avoidance 10.

Summer days are long, which in game terms, means you have ten segments of hunting possible. (A segment is equivalent to an hour of time.) Here's how hunting works in a nutshell:
1. At least one PC makes a Hunting roll every segment. This is an opposed roll against your prey's Avoidance of 10. To speed things along, please roll both your Hunting and the opposed Avoidance roll.
2. You can choose to be a follower, i.e., rely on someone else's roll and follow them. If they meet an obstacle, so do you; if they forge ahead, then you do, too. (Though you can only follow someone still nearby---if you got left behind because your leader kept fumbling, you're either stuck with him or need to make your Hunting roll!)
3. I will keep track of where you are in relation to your fellow PCs if you get separated, as well as roll for obstacles if you fail your rolls.
4. Once at least one of you has come upon the prey, combat begins! Keep in mind an animal might choose to flee if wounded rather than fight to the bitter end.
5. You've got rival knights hunting the same beast, which I'll roll for myself.

• Locked thread