Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Solaris Knight posted:

More lore and backstory is what I mostly want from this show, so more of that and Rebecca saying the blue gem speculation is upcoming is exactly what I wanted to hear.

I'm especially curious about the Gems' relationship with humanity. Are they an alien race that has fallen on hard times and their last members have settled on Earth? Is this an alt history where Gems and humans evolved side by side? Are the Gems somehow the creation/evolution of humans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So I noticed the centipeedle took on a briefly humanoid form before manifesting as the baby centipeedle. Are we to infer that all the "monsters" are insane/evil Gems?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Crabtree posted:

You think the temple they live in was based on any particular Gem or is it just a generic giant warrior Goddess?

I figured it was a stature of all the Gems combined.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

MariusLecter posted:

Are those the skeletal remains of actual people? Gems don't leave bones when they "die" right?

Yeah I think it's safe to say Gems only leave gems behind when they die.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

DarklyDreaming posted:

I think it's pretty clear the gems are just that, gems. The bodies we see are complete fabrications formed around the shiny rocks. So any question pertaining to "Do the gems have human feature X?" the answer is almost always no.

In fact, sometimes the answer has been Noooooo :stonk:

Does anyone else find that, as the Gems become further detached from humanity, they become less compelling as characters? It first started to really bug me in Fish Stew Pizza where the gems were completely indifferent to being banned from the pizza place, and generally indifferent to anything that happens ever that isn't directly concerned with battling corrupt Gems or neutralizing broken Gem artifacts. I get that one of the major themes of the show is how Steven is essentially their only link to humanity, but the fact that they repeatedly demonstrate that they really just don't care is starting to make them unrelatable. They don't appear to have any goals or desires aside from keeping Steven happy and I don't know how much longer that can carry them as individuals. Really the Gems are just forces of nature at this point.
Don't get me wrong I really enjoy the show. The artwork, music and action are all very appealing, but it's getting hard to connect to the show beyond "it's pretty."

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Watching it, I sort of got the feeling that it was deliberately structured to make the audience uncomfortable. We are introduced to her from a first person perspective, putting us inside her body in a very intimate way. The subsequent "male gaze" shots of her feel almost like a violation. The fact that Stevonnie is barefoot throughout the episode reinforces feelings of both intimacy and vulnerability. I distinctly remember feeling "this is not okay" for a lot of the episode.
I think the episode was, at least in part, an effort on the part of the showrunners to help the male members of the audience experience what the "male gaze" is like when you're on the receiving end.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

IanJ posted:

Just to throw in a word about being influenced by fans- it's basically impossible for us. We can do it in the supplementary stuff, like the blogs, but the show itself is now produced SO far ahead of airing that it's impossible for us to be reactionary. (When the airing hiatus happened last year, it's not like we stopped working on it, the shows airing now are about 50 episodes behind the ones we're writing.) It's true that we are aware of the fanbase but it's impossible for us to "cater" to specific demands. When I worked on AT, the same was true(and the accusation that fandom and social media are "ruining" that show earns a huge eye-roll from me). We're primarily trying to entertain ourselves.

I think this is pretty true for a lot of animated television, which is so pre-planned that we don't have time to react. We're not killing ourselves on a South Park schedule here.

Do you ever drive up to the MLP:FiM team in an open top convertible and make fun of them for their horrible fanbase?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

kidcoelacanth posted:

So I finally started watching this this last weekend and I'm up to episode 30. God drat this show is good, and the music (both the songs and the background music) is absolutely stellar. I've been listening to it at work all week.

I tear up a little whenever I listen to "I want to inspire you" even though the song isn't sad.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SgtSteel91 posted:

OH poo poo

That got real, real fast

I was literally saying "Oh poo poo" at the screen when I realized what she was about to do.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Based on Greg's reaction to Amethyst becoming Rose ("I can't let you do this to me again!"), and Amethyst's jealousy/bashfulness, a couple "most likely" scenarios come to my mind:

1. The first time around binge watching Li'l Butler, Amethyst at some point tried to put the moves on Greg and he rejected her. In a fit of jealousy (or perhaps a desperate attempt at seduction) she shapeshifts into Rose. Greg gets mad and terminates the friendship.

2. Greg and Amethyst did get physical (this is based off placing more significance on Amethyst's "I've seen your junk before" comment) at least to a limited extent and Amethyst, in an attempt to give Greg a sexy surprise and completely misunderstanding human feelings, shapeshifts into Rose. Greg unexpectedly (to her) freaks and stops hanging out with her.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Don't do this. None of this is ok.

How is what I said worse than the people speculating on an affair?

E: Yeah my scenario 2 is poorly thought out in retrospect, but I still don't understand the strong negative reaction.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 28, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

The people who suggested an affair are wrong and skeevy too.

Okay okay, geez.

"Skeevy" is kind of a strong word. I'm not shipping them I'm just calling the situation like I see it.
Amethyst flirts with Greg on screen during the episode, and she knows it bugs him so we know she's done it before. That much is established fact. I'm not making that part up.
That suggests pretty strongly (to me anyway) that their earlier falling out was precipitated by some flirting on Amethyst's part that got out of hand and culminated in her turning into Rose (which, whatever the context in which it actually happened, we know she did).
Greg reciprocating Amethyst's flirtations (at least a little) isn't really in character for him but not the most bonkers coo coo idea anyone ever had.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

You watched a cartoon written for tween-aged children and your mind went to "I wonder if Greg ever got to third base with Amethyst". I don't know any other word to describe that than skeevy. There will never be anything overtly sexual in this show and there's no need to creep up the thread suggesting that there will be.

Well if you don't like that, you're really not gonna like my theory on how Rose got pregnant with Steven :rolleyes:

Ohmygosh or Connie's mom with Connie!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

RandomPauI posted:

Aren't the creators also on record that the relationship wasn't sexual, thus giving a very strong weight to the 'amethyst was taunting him' theory?

Well there you go.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

How is babby gem formed?

I want to know why Greg acted weird about that book and told Steven "maybe we'll save this one until you're older." Like, what was that about? I'm guessing it was because the book was scary.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

I think he just wanted him to read previous books in the series first instead of jumping straight into the middle of a complex overarching plot.

That makes perfect sense. He was blushing because he was embarrassed at how his poor organization skills almost spoiled a great sci fi series for his son.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

XboxPants posted:

Except part of that interpretation is that "Greg, as a ~30 year old adult, and with the character traits that we know about him, had a romantic relationship with a child" which goes against all the characterization they've done of Greg and is then not reasonable.

This is the first time I ever heard of Amethyst being thought of or described as "a child."
Seriously I always thought of her as an adult dwarf. Her behavior (to me) always seemed like that of an immature, hotblooded 18-24 year old and never came off to me as childlike (though she is often childish).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Absolutely not. Although now I need to find something to replace this disgusting piece of poo poo with

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

But can we really say for sure that Rose was sufficiently mature emotionally to be in committed relationship with Greg?

They didn't even have sex so I don't see any issue. Greg kissed her on her belly gem and then she was pregnant.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Just bought the Gem Glow DVD and watched the pilot right away.
I remember when I first saw the contrast between the art in the pilot and the actual show I thought the pilot looked better but now the old designs look weird to me, even small-nosed Pearl.

E; Also, Garnet does not look right without a 'fro.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 4, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Android Blues posted:

I love the pilot's dark, fluid look but I love how the actual show looks too. It's kind of a toss-up for me!

The only one who's old design still looks better to me is Amethyst.

And yeah, the fluid animation of the pilot still looks really good.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

The old design were much closer to Studio Ghibli style, while the new ones look more unique. Although I still like old Pearl's design much better. The animation quality and especially facial expressions were more detailed in the pilot, but it would be probably too expensive to maintain the same level of quality in a long running tv show.

Pearl's nose took a long time to get used to and I still think it's Opal and Alexandrite's worst feature, but on Pearl I think it suits her really well.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Anyone else get a Ramiel vibe from the marble plug?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
There are probably as many different names as there are individuals but the only ones who are mentioned on screen will coincidentally be named after earth gems.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hihohe posted:

Is it weird that that gems dont have a formal name for their home world. Its just "homeworld" ?

What do you think "Earth" means?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

inklesspen posted:

I liked how in James White's Sector General books, the universal translator renders every species's names for themselves and their homeworlds as "humans" and "Earth", respectively. So there's a repeated thing where people say "Where are you from?" "Earth" "Yes, but which Earth?"

So You Want to be a Wizard series does that as well.

e X posted:

I actually really like that they didn't went with the Species name = planet name or Gem Prime or something like that. But for all we know, Homeworld might simply be military slang .

"Gem Prime" wouldn't have been so bad imo. It fits them.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hihohe posted:

Still cant get over that Mayor Dewey has the hots for Pearl.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Dat Miyazaki ripple

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Don't let that hand ship get anywhere near the Medical Mechanica plant.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So are the monster gems (who I'm almost certain are Amethyst's sisters) UNDERcooked, or just feral, do you think?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

pksage posted:

Oh my god I could not stop smiling for the entirety of Garnet's song. That was so incredibly perfect. Oh my god. :3: :3: :3:

But yeah, tons of new hooks, so excited.

Oh my goddddddd

Seriously. I didn't think any song this season would topple "Strong in the Real Way" but this one did it. It's the song to beat imo.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
With Jasper I get a very "Viltrumite" vibe from the Gempire that I hadn't up to this point. I wonder how many other worlds they've conquered, and if they always exterminate the native species there or if they have a few races they keep as slaves?
Are we gonna meet the anti-Gem coalition of planets? Somebody else out there must oppose them.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So new question: what are Ruby and Sapphire's individual weapons? One gauntlet each? Or are they two weapons that combine to form a gauntlet in the way that a whip and a spear make a bow or a whip and two gauntlets make a wrecking ball?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If the mural really does represent three diamond colors (white, blue and yellow) I think that the grasping hands reaching toward the white diamond figure may indicate she has the power to compel worship or otherwise enthrall gems. Diamonds are the most sought after gem on Earth and are at the center of many conflicts, despite not necessarily being as rare/beautiful as other precious stones. White Diamond somehow exhibiting some kind of super charisma might be an allusion to that.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Idk I write both fanfiction and original fiction. Sometimes it's fun to imagine how familiar characters would handle situations they won't/can't in the original work. Or maybe you just enjoy the fictional world so much you're not ready to leave yet.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Swillkitsch posted:

I like "you thought there wouldn't be consequences".

Seconded

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Steven Universe - He didn't leave his family behind!

So I just now realized, what if Cookie Cat's parallels to the current situation weren't just narrative foreshadowing, but actual subconscious manifestations of Steven's past-life memories expressing themselves through song?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So I was thinking and, given this show's propensity to turn what seem like one-off gags into serious plot points, I think Onion and his father might be aliens.
At first I just chalked up Onion's behavior to him being some kind of malevolent Ralph Wiggum, but his pale appearance, strange behavior and the bizarre language of his father might be more than just quirky for quirky's sake.
Papa Onion may be there to spy on the Gems on behalf of some other major power to make sure they stay true to Rose's principles.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

WickedHate posted:

I've never really watched Adventure Time, but the conversation about the differences between it and SU can also be applied to SU and Gravity Falls. Gravity Falls always just has the illusion of progress, nothing ever really happened and characters never really grew at all(Mable's boy fixation being a prime example). The most recent episode was the first forward movement in the plot in what felt like forever.

Steven Universe doesn't really have an overarching plot, at least in the sense that the story hasn't presented anyone long term goals or huge mysteries to be solved. There's Homeworld and the shadow it's casting, but it's very different then "We have to uncover the author" and "What's Stan trying to acomplish with that big portal?". Even then, once Peridot was introduced it didn't take long for that plot element to be followed up on. Most of SU's stories are devoted to characters and like someone else said, almost every episode puts something from another in a different light or expands on it, like the "We kept Amythest" line.

They are different approaches to incorporating a story arc into a TV show.
Gravity Falls tends to do it the way most "serious" dramas do it, particularly those on ABC (which is also a Disney property) where each episode will have a main plot, and, sometimes a segment dedicated to the overt advancement of the season's arc. Once Upon a Time and Grimm do this a lot though the latter is not a Disney property as far as I know. This has the advantage of allowing the writers to plug and play pretty much any plot into the episode, while still reliably advance the overall arc as need be.

SU takes a much more holistic approach. The characters live and breathe their world, and their incidental behavior is informed by the same backstory that drives the story arc, and their everyday actions and reactions to each other advance the plot incrementally in addition to overt "arc events." This method has the advantage of feeling much more organic, but it requires the writers to do a lot of planning ahead and they have to keep a lot in mind whenever they write an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hihohe posted:

What about Sour Creme, Is he an alien too?

I guess he does complicate things. I forgot about him completely.

• Locked thread