Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I've got a wild hair about pimping out a single ship as much as possible.

Strike Force 5pts

Gor Portas with Independent Flagship 1 36pts
@Jean-Luc Picard 7pts
-All Forward Disrupter Banks 5pts
*Quantum Torpedos 7pts
*Photon Torpedos (Dominion) 5pts
*Photon Torpedos (Dominion) 5pts
*Energy Dissipator 5pts
^Konmel 5pts
^N'Vek 3pts
%Antiproton Scan 4pts 87pts

Romulan Science Vessel 12pts
@Generic Captain 0pts

I get to do a fantastic amount of dice stacking here. A potential 8 dice with torpedoes, 9 against cloaked ships, with 3 actions a round and a free Evade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm not quite sure why Donotra isn't in that science vessel but ok.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

I'm not quite sure why Donotra isn't in that science vessel but ok.

Oh man, I could get the 5th Patrol Wing up to ten dice.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Prime Martok would allow you to activate N'Vek and All Forward Disruptors potentially on the same turn.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

(link doesn't go anywhere yet)

Fingers crossed for giant Borg cube grand prize

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My dumb gimmick list finished 1 and 2. The one time it worked the guy practically cried about it and was really mad that transwarp shouldn't have worked so good cause ~it didn't work in the canon~ though.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Well if he wants to get all huffy about canon, he should just declare the Enterprise the winner every time it shows up.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Well if he wants to get all huffy about canon, he should just declare the Enterprise the winner every time it shows up.

and then hit him with a two fisted overhead smash

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

and then hit him with a two fisted overhead smash

And then grow a beard and turn evil.

My OP is today, and I'm still waiting to hear if we can use AOs for this. I really hope so, because it makes this team so much better. An action, to free actions from the action bar, and free evade every round, plus a bonus attack die? It's just good.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Unified Strike Force All Day Erry Day.

Q'pla, or whatever the poo poo the dominion says when it's time to Bring It. Let me know how it goes.

(Don't bother attacking the planet)

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Just got the starter set yesterday, I'm pretty excited about this game. It combines my love of starship action with my love of Star Trek starship action. No clue what sort of fleet I should try to build though.

Anyway, just checking in. I'm gonna watch you guys argue over the best fleet composition until you finally realize an all Fed fighter build is the best build. Gonna turn this game into X-Wing.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

My dumb gimmick list finished 1 and 2. The one time it worked the guy practically cried about it and was really mad that transwarp shouldn't have worked so good cause ~it didn't work in the canon~ though.

What went wrong the two times it failed?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

What went wrong the two times it failed?

Round 1: The one build I didn't want to face: the 4 stripped down Klingon no-name captain heavy swarm, 2 Vor'Chas, 2 K'Vorts. I pulled off the first-turn kill on a Vor'Cha adequately enough, but he just outswarmed me.

Round 2: 3 Klingon Ships (Neg'Var and 2 Vorchas) with actual middling captains including Gowron and a couple upgrades. Poor luck managed to mean his Neg'Var got to shoot back and between it and one of the vor'chas destroy the Excelsior before the Defiant finished it off. Defiant managed to give one of the other Vor'Chas a warp core breech. I tried to just transwarp around until his warp core finished off the other vorcha (or he was forced to eject the core and break up the 2-ship formation so I could pick them off one at a time), but luck was on his side and he cornered me before the core blew.

Round 3: 2 Heavilly upgraded D'Derdrixes. I think he was literally on the verge of tears when I oneshotted one of them turn one. Blew past and finished off the other with rear torps and phaser fire in another turn or three.

SquadronROE posted:

Just got the starter set yesterday, I'm pretty excited about this game. It combines my love of starship action with my love of Star Trek starship action. No clue what sort of fleet I should try to build though.

Anyway, just checking in. I'm gonna watch you guys argue over the best fleet composition until you finally realize an all Fed fighter build is the best build. Gonna turn this game into X-Wing.

Welcome to Star Trekkery!

I am looking forward to seeing how the fighters work. Apparently they are either going to be resources or unique, so my dream of just running like the D and 5 stands of fighters might not work out at least in formal play.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Otisburg posted:

Round 1: The one build I didn't want to face: the 4 stripped down Klingon no-name captain heavy swarm, 2 Vor'Chas, 2 K'Vorts. I pulled off the first-turn kill on a Vor'Cha adequately enough, but he just outswarmed me.

Round 2: 3 Klingon Ships (Neg'Var and 2 Vorchas) with actual middling captains including Gowron and a couple upgrades. Poor luck managed to mean his Neg'Var got to shoot back and between it and one of the vor'chas destroy the Excelsior before the Defiant finished it off. Defiant managed to give one of the other Vor'Chas a warp core breech. I tried to just transwarp around until his warp core finished off the other vorcha (or he was forced to eject the core and break up the 2-ship formation so I could pick them off one at a time), but luck was on his side and he cornered me before the core blew.

Round 3: 2 Heavilly upgraded D'Derdrixes. I think he was literally on the verge of tears when I oneshotted one of them turn one. Blew past and finished off the other with rear torps and phaser fire in another turn or three.

Welcome to Star Trekkery!

I am looking forward to seeing how the fighters work. Apparently they are either going to be resources or unique, so my dream of just running like the D and 5 stands of fighters might not work out at least in formal play.

D and 5 stands of shuttles it is then!

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Oh man, runabouts would be amazing

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

My OP is today, and I'm still waiting to hear if we can use AOs for this. I really hope so, because it makes this team so much better. An action, to free actions from the action bar, and free evade every round, plus a bonus attack die? It's just good.

I wait patiently for your after-action report.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

I wait patiently for your after-action report.

Went 2-1.

Match 1: Went up against a Portas, Koranak, and Kraxon, traded his Portas for my Kraxon and then we chased each other around the map until time was called. I won by two points.

Match 2: Went up against a fleet of Four stripped down Romulan ships. Managed to eliminate two of them, but an early loss of the Kraxon and a couple of bad Portas maneuvers got me a loss.

Match 3: Went up against a two ship Fed build, a loaded for bear Defiant and a D to baby sit and buff it. The first turn, it managed to roll five dodges to my five hits, but in the second turn I one shotted it with the Portas, and the third turn saw the Enterprise get blown out of the space water.

Thoughts: The Kraxon was good at pulling hits off the Portas, but Konmel was a waste on it. Keeping the Portas around is good (and our group ruled that the Kraxon's ability can trigger Counterstrike), but the regen build is a bit of a waste. It's going to have to do as much damage as it can before it gets esploded.

Coming in second place and then losing the dice-off for the Sutherland was bitter fruit.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Match 3: Went up against a two ship Fed build, a loaded for bear Defiant and a D to baby sit and buff it. The first turn, it managed to roll five dodges to my five hits, but in the second turn I one shotted it with the Portas, and the third turn saw the

I remain firm in my belief that cloak on the Defiant is a trap. Its health points are in the shields. Trading that for a chance of maybe stopping some hits on your relatively fragile hull is a sucker's bet.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

I remain firm in my belief that cloak on the Defiant is a trap. Its health points are in the shields. Trading that for a chance of maybe stopping some hits on your relatively fragile hull is a sucker's bet.

Certainly.

Also, being able to stack tokens is sick. I rarely rolled under 4 hits in the game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Certainly.

Also, being able to stack tokens is sick. I rarely rolled under 4 hits in the game.

Always be at battlestations if you can help it, really.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Always be at battlestations if you can help it, really.

Yeah. I think I might have a different opinion about taking Mr. Spock over Boheeka. Being able to flip a blank is nice.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah. I think I might have a different opinion about taking Mr. Spock over Boheeka. Being able to flip a blank is nice.

Sure. Depends on what you're going for. If you have easy access to scan, Spock is good, plus instead of having to spend the token he works thru multiple attacks (great with counter attack, secondary torps, unto the breech, ferengi missiles, etc etc)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Sure. Depends on what you're going for. If you have easy access to scan, Spock is good, plus instead of having to spend the token he works thru multiple attacks (great with counter attack, secondary torps, unto the breech, ferengi missiles, etc etc)

True, but with ten whole space points going to a flagship, it's going to be hard to find a spot for him.

Next month though, I am tossing the flagship on the Kraxon and seeing what happens.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Groping one generation at a time
Most of the time cloak is a trap...facing dominion or federation which exploits scan tokens you are better off just facing them straight up. It's a pretty crappy match up when facing a Dominion player who denies 4-6 dice in one round and shoots you for 4-6 per ship. It gets pretty bad in a hurry.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Man, as much as I like the Portas, it feels a little like the weak link here. I need a sturdy ship with a good weapn to take its place.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Man, as much as I like the Portas, it feels a little like the weak link here. I need a sturdy ship with a good weapn to take its place.

May I suggest that you run two goldfishes 'cause they're so delicious?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

GorPort + Gul Dukat + Torps is pretty much a perma 5 dice ship every turn out the front and butt

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

GorPort + Gul Dukat + Torps is pretty much a perma 5 dice ship every turn out the front and butt

Pretty sure it lacks a butt.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hmm that is true, it is buttless.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

Yeah, I shopped around and the only other ships with comparable stats are the Enterprise and the Excelsior. Portas it is.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Let me know what you space peeps think of this one:

Strike Force (5pts)

Gor Portas (26pts)
Gul Dukat (5pts)
Photon Torpedos (5pts)
Boheeka (2pts)

Kraxon with Independant Flagship 3 (36pts)
Jean-Luc Picard (7pts)
-Counterstrike (4pts)
Mr. Spock (6pts)
Konmel (4pts)

100 space points.

Traded a Photon Torpdeo for Spork so that when the Kraxon has a Battlestation token, each drat counterstrike will convert for free.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Did you consider the koranak over the kraxon? More damage, can natively throw up a battle stations

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Did you consider the koranak over the kraxon? More damage, can natively throw up a battle stations

I did, but I feel like the +1 agility and +1 shield that the Portas has over it is going to be important.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I did, but I feel like the +1 agility and +1 shield that the Portas has over it is going to be important.

:crossarms:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh, I can't read.

Naw, being able to Counterstrike against every single attack, regardless of who my opponent chooses to fire at, is a lot better than splitting my attack between two targets.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh, I can't read.

Naw, being able to Counterstrike against every single attack, regardless of who my opponent chooses to fire at, is a lot better than splitting my attack between two targets.

Oh right, I forgot you were using that combo. I should have prefaced my comment with "Unless you're shepherding the Portas with the Kraxon,"

I like that combo, it's mean.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Oh right, I forgot you were using that combo. I should have prefaced my comment with "Unless you're shepherding the Portas with the Kraxon,"

I like that combo, it's mean.

It's combos like it that keep me from considering going Pure Dominion.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's combos like it that keep me from considering going Pure Dominion.

Eh, even if you're one of those ~but my canon~ type people, tech/weapons/elite talents are the easiest to justify swapping around.

Sure, maybe Worf would never work for the Ferengi, but you're telling me that Romulans are the only people who know how to "Counter Attack?"

Oh, hey Jonas, post your WAVE 7 SPOILER.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 19, 2013

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Eh, even if you're one of those ~but my canon~ type people, tech/weapons/elite talents are the easiest to justify swapping around.

Sure, maybe Worf would never work for the Ferengi, but you're telling me that Romulans are the only people who know how to "Counter Attack?"

Oh, hey Jonas, post your WAVE 7 SPOILER.

Wave Seven:

http://www.ikoncollectables.com.au/m202/WizKids_Games/p13152/Star_Trek_-_Attack_Wing_Ni&%2339;Var_Vulcan/product_info.html

http://www.ikoncollectables.com.au/m202/WizKids_Games/p13150/Star_Trek_-_Attack_Wing_Scout_Cube_Borg/product_info.html

http://www.ikoncollectables.com.au/m202/WizKids_Games/p13151/Star_Trek_-_Attack_Wing_Enterprise_Federation/product_info.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

No Voyager or E? How many borg boxes do we need isn't this the third?

• Locked thread