Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Why fed photons? Energy dissipator followed by a dominion torpedo salvo amused me greatly

Converting Picard's free Battle Stations into a critical seemed like a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Alright, so swapping Fed PTs for Dom PTs doesn't sound like a bad idea. Should I go for Engage as Picards talent, since I want to get into range 1 ASAP?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Alright, so swapping Fed PTs for Dom PTs doesn't sound like a bad idea. Should I go for Engage as Picards talent, since I want to get into range 1 ASAP?

Or even In'cha if we're going that route

e: What's this list for? Any specific event or scenario, or just fite spaecshipz? It's aggressively bad if we're talking OP3, but I assume since Dukat is in there maybe OP4, or just general fightspacing?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 16, 2013

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Or even In'cha if we're going that route

e: What's this list for? Any specific event or scenario, or just fite spaecshipz? It's aggressively bad if we're talking OP3, but I assume since Dukat is in there maybe OP4, or just general fightspacing?

Mostly just trying to come up with a list with good synergy. Practicing and what not.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Well Mister Dominion Man, wave 3 ship cards spoiled and you have a motherfucker of a spaceship coming.

I'm not overly concerned about the 0 evade. There are ways around that. That thing is a monster.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Has the Excelsior been spoiled yet?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gau posted:

Has the Excelsior been spoiled yet?

Nope. Official preview is gonna fall on the 27th most likely.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The 4th Division Battleship looks made for shield regen shenanigans.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The 4th Division Battleship looks made for shield regen shenanigans.

Thing has three weapon slots. What I want to know is what you give a ship with a 6 die primary to make it worth taking secondary weapons, and how terrifying said weapons will be ported over to cheaper vessels.

Hold me.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Thing has three weapon slots. What I want to know is what you give a ship with a 6 die primary to make it worth taking secondary weapons, and how terrifying said weapons will be ported over to cheaper vessels.

Hold me.

It's gonna be :krad: I can't wait

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Hold me.

Energy Dissipators all day everyday.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Here's my jazz for Tuesday. It's not OP, just a casual meetup.

Gor Portas
Picard + Counter Attack
Energy Dissipator x2
Photon Torpedos
Plasma Torpedos
Breen Aide
60pts

5th Patrol Wing Ship
Weyoun
Long Range Tachyon Scan
Phased Polaron Beam
Photon Torpedos
O'Brien
40pts

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Alright. We just ran OP3 here. The planet is SUPER important. The guy who won went 2-1 and beat out someone who went 3-0 because both of his winning games he captured the planet, and the guy who went 3-0 never did. Interestingly cloaked mines seem to be more of a cloak-foiler than a game-breaker. The top builds either had one or none and focused on shield regeneration and just plowed through the mines.

Having multiple actions and attacks seems pretty important to controlling the planet, to a point. 3-ship builds definitely beat out 2 ship.

Next week they are doing an event that I'll get to play in.

So, I want do be all pure fed, somewhat thematic. Within those constraints, how's this look?

Command Tokens (5)

Enterprise-D (28)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Kyle (2)
Spock (5)

Defiant (24)
Sisko (4)
Montgomery Scott (5)

Miranda (18)
Edward Jellico (0)
Photon Torpedos (3)

100 points

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Here's my jazz for Tuesday. It's not OP, just a casual meetup.

Gor Portas
Picard + Counter Attack
Energy Dissipator x2
Photon Torpedos
Plasma Torpedos
Breen Aide
60pts

5th Patrol Wing Ship
Weyoun
Long Range Tachyon Scan
Phased Polaron Beam
Photon Torpedos
O'Brien
40pts

I was wrong, it was OP3. Experienced bij in two games through planet loss and the 5th Patrol Wing getting blown up, but had a decisive victory in one with both the planet and total foe annihilation. The guys there were super nice, and I got a ton of free stuff including a Red Shirt, a set of purple bases, and token swag.

Postgame space round-up:

*Picard in the Gor Portas can really tank hits. At one point, I had two ships throwing all of the lasers at me, and I was able to get away with just a single shield loss thanks to stacking EM and Battle Stations. It's good stuff.

*Unfortunately, both my EDs were ten points of worthless. Trying to stay within range of the planet and chasing my enemies meant I was never in range 1.

*My 5th Patrol Wing ship (henceforth known as Lil' Jem'Hadar) needs a defensive build, not an offensive one.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

EDs are hard to get off, but brutal when they hit. Most people tend to avoid them because of the difficulty landing the shot, at least in my area.

Was a two-ship build crippling to your ability to lay siege to AR-558?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

EDs are hard to get off, but brutal when they hit. Most people tend to avoid them because of the difficulty landing the shot, at least in my area.

Was a two-ship build crippling to your ability to lay siege to AR-558?

I wouldn't say cripple, but it mean that I could afford fewer terrible dice rolls.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I think I might go with a two-ship build. The idea is it turns the other guy's three ship build into a two-ship build on the first turn and puts him on his fuckin' heels.

Neg'Var
Martok (LE)
In'Cha
Drex

Enterprise D
Jean-Luc Picard
In'Cha
Hikaru Sulu

Command Tokens

Turn 1: After setting up opposite my opponent double In'Cha to fly right directly at them and destroy their key ship with Barrage of Fire. Picard is on the lead ship and uses his free action to target lock and a command token to battlestations, to shore up the roll. If they haven't read this course of action from my list, then they might even oblige me by having shields down to beam guys to the planet. If not, I can use the Neg'Var's action to turn a couple off!

Then I guess I just snipe another ship and then let him limp around with the last one while I fight out the planet to ensure I get the extra battle point.

At least that's the idea!

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 21, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Excelsior is spoiled:

*Ship*

U.S.S. Excelsior (Excelsior Class)
Front Firing Arc: 180° Rear Firing Arc: 90°
A: 3
E: 1
H: 5
S: 4
After you move, if no enemy ships are within Range 1 of your ship, you may perform a [Sensor] Action a a free Action.
Actions: Evasive Maneuvers, Target Lock, Sensors, Battle Stations
Upgrades: Tech, Weapons, Crew, Crew, Crew

=======================================

*Captains*

Hikaru Sulu (Federation/USS Excelsior Expansion)
Captain Skill: 6
Action: Disable one of your [Crew] Upgrades to remove an opponents's [Target Lock] Token from your ship. Remove the corresponding token from the opponent's ship as well.
Cost: 4
Elite Talent Upgrades: 1

Styles (Federation/USS Excelsior Expansion)
Captain Skill: 2
Add 1 additional [Tech] icon to your ship's Upgrade Bar.
Cost: 3
Elite Talent Upgrades: 0

*Elite Talent*

**None noticed (by Traitor at least), does not necessarily mean they aren't included**

*Crew*

Dimitri Valtane (Federation/USS Excelsior Expansion)
If your ship has a [Sensor] Token beside it when you attack, you may re-roll up to 2 of your attack dice.

Lojur (Federation/USS Excelsior Expansion)
When your ship fires a [Secondary Weapon] Upgrade that requires you to disable it, you may disable Lojur instead of that [Secondary Weapon] Upgrade.
Cost: 2

========================================

*Tech*

Transwarp Drive (Federation/USS Excelsior Expansion)
During the Activation Phase, if your Maneuver Dial reveals a [Straight] 4 or a [Straight] 5 Maneuver, you may instead use a [Straight] 6 Maneuver.

Positron Beam (Federation/USS Excelsior Expansion)
During the Planning Phase, you may discard this Upgrade to target a ship at Range 1 of your ship. That ship immediately receives an Auxiliary Power Token.
Cost: 2

Excelsior is a p good ship to put spock on. Put Spock, Picard, and Scotty on there and you can have a 5-die attack with a lock scan and scanbattlestations all in one turn.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 21, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

I think I might go with a two-ship build. The idea is it turns the other guy's three ship build into a two-ship build on the first turn and puts him on his fuckin' heels.

Neg'Var
Martok (LE)
In'Cha
Drex

Enterprise D
Jean-Luc Picard
In'Cha
Hikaru Sulu

Command Tokens

Turn 1: After setting up opposite my opponent double In'Cha to fly right directly at them and destroy their key ship with Barrage of Fire. Picard is on the lead ship and uses his free action to target lock and a command token to battlestations, to shore up the roll. If they haven't read this course of action from my list, then they might even oblige me by having shields down to beam guys to the planet. If not, I can use the Neg'Var's action to turn a couple off!

Then I guess I just snipe another ship and then let him limp around with the last one while I fight out the planet to ensure I get the extra battle point.

At least that's the idea!

You gonna be able to move far enough turn one for that?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

You gonna be able to move far enough turn one for that?

I measured it out and if I can set up in response to my opponent it's no problem. Even if they had a full stop order I can nearly hit the front of the deployment zone. If they're not paying attention to what my build is up to they might even oblige my by making the normal beeline to the planet and lowering shields...

I've been playing with the basic idea and I think I might go with GenKhan (I have a guy willing to loan me one) instead of Martok since I'm just taking him to have a skill nine so I can set up reactively. Then two Neg'Vars and one Romulan Science Vessel to tend to the planetary battle while I wreck 'em.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I guess I can't comment too much, I worked out how far back to put my kraxon to jump it just over the planet on two 5s, that's pretty amusing, especially with a 180 degree ark

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I revisited it to make it more Fed/theme Pure.

Command Tokens
Enterprise D
JLP
In'Cha
Antimatter Mines
Quantum Torpedos

Defiant
Sisko
Engage
Miles
O'Brien (2 pt version)
Antimatter Mines
Quantum Torpedos

The D comes in at warp 15 and catches them with their shields down uncloaked. Spend my normal action to In'Cha full ahead 5 twice Command Token for a Target Lock, Picard for a battlestations. Fire Quantum torpedoes. That's got a solid chance of flat out killing most ships.

I now have a Galaxy Class jammed down his throat, preventing him from putting his cloaked mines where he might like, discouraging him from lowering shields and spending actions and attacks on the surface. That next turn it blows past another likely target and drops Antimater Mines directly on top of it.

Meanwhile the Defiant is hanging back minding the planetary battle. If someone else gets froggy like I did, it's got enough counterpunch to discourage it and I'll watch for in'cha on my enemy so I can keep shields up and be ready for it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

holy poo poo I just looked up the command token thing. 5 extra free actions every OP event seems insane.

Also theres no ways anyones letting someone use that in a reg 100 pt game right?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

zVxTeflon posted:

holy poo poo I just looked up the command token thing. 5 extra free actions every OP event seems insane.

Also theres no ways anyones letting someone use that in a reg 100 pt game right?

can't say i'm jazzed about it in OP play tbh

guy used a sideboard at the event I was at last week, 10 points for 20 points worth of cards to swap around.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

can't say i'm jazzed about it in OP play tbh

guy used a sideboard at the event I was at last week, 10 points for 20 points worth of cards to swap around.

Eh, I think the sideboard is a bit of a trap.

You can only access it once a round, and it costs your action.

Now if you could access it multiple times a round you could take some mostly bare ships and really tool them up on your first turn or two, but as it is it's a situational thing.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Eh, I think the sideboard is a bit of a trap.

You can only access it once a round, and it costs your action.

Now if you could access it multiple times a round you could take some mostly bare ships and really tool them up on your first turn or two, but as it is it's a situational thing.

It worked well enough for my opponent. He used it right away on turn 1, then in the post first contact maneuvering turns. His main goal was to drop a third cloaked minefield right on me. Almost pulled it off

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Placed 4th out of 12, 2-1 holding the planet once. Not bad considering I mostly showed up to play a fairly thematic Fed list and see how something unconventional for the scenario might do. List ended up being.

Command Tokens

Ent D
Picard
In'Cha
Scotty
Q-Torps
AM Mines

Defiant
Sisko
Q-Torps
AM Mines

A full ahead 5 gets you in extreme range versus a full-ahed 4, so in most of the initial rounds I didn't even need the In'cha, and was able to spend that action pumping up the initial torpedo spread with Scotty, and save In'Cha for a surprise punch-through to drop mines.

A lot of the current meta in my area is based around tightly-packed ships stacking mutual-apprecation-society martok/donotra/gowron/etc type buffs, often on cloaked ships, so anti-matter mines are HILLARIOUS in this environment. One of the few times it wasn't my hat's off to the guy-- he had Khan Superior Intellect them away from me before I could drop them on his clustered ships. First time I've seen that pulled off, and to great effect, even though I ended up winning the game.

Also, the definition of "cheese" is clearly "anything that I didn't plan for," because some guy who took 4 middling fed ships with zero upgrades called the fact that I was using secondary weapons and crew in a 94% faction pure, 100% era pure (TNG episode Relics, bitch) two-ship build "cheesy."

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 25, 2013

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Looks like the place I am playing at is going to go to Faction Specific OPs starting next OP. 'Neutral' stuff can be taken still by anyone, as well as Ferengi stuff for the 2 point penalty. Anyone have any experience with this in an OP environment? I am on the fence about it since I feel it could make certain factions way more favorable than others. :(

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Looks like the place I am playing at is going to go to Faction Specific OPs starting next OP. 'Neutral' stuff can be taken still by anyone, as well as Ferengi stuff for the 2 point penalty. Anyone have any experience with this in an OP environment? I am on the fence about it since I feel it could make certain factions way more favorable than others. :(

"2 point penalty?" Oughta be one.

Eh, just sounds like you've got some Spaceship Racists there. It's a common enough house rule. Klingons and Romulans have an easy enough time with it, and the good news for Federation is your one strong advantage (captains and crew) can't be poached.

God help you if you are forced into "pure" dominion with the current releases. Gul Dukat will help at least next month.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Eh, the whole faction issue is typical lovely WizKids. As it stands the game just does not support the kind of faction purity Trek fans want. If they are enforcing this kind of thing during OP, I strongly recommend going Klingon.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Groping one generation at a time
yeah right now my store is about to go to faction specific OP, pondering if its klingons or romulans for which I like better. Cloaked mines depending upon the OP are just wrecking balls and a half. Plus with the new healing commander you can dance around awhile and build your ship back up if need be.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

OP4 shizz spoilahs:

Flagship Reference Card (paraphrased)

Place the card under your ship. If the flagship card has a faction aside from independent, your ship must match that faction. The card adds abilities and stats to your ship.

The action bar adds to your ship's, however if your ship already has an action listed in the flagship action bar, it gets to use that action as a FREE ACTION every round!

If the Flagship has a bonus [Elite Talent] Slot, you may take one even if your captain doesn't have access to elite talents.

All flagship resources are 10 points.

Romulan Flagship
+1 Attack, Evade, Shields
Text: When Attacking, all other friendly romulan ships within range 1-2 of the flagship may re roll any number of attack dice once.
+[Sensor echo]
+[Elite Talent] +[Secondary Weapon]

Klingon Flagship
+1 Attack, Evade, Hull
Text: When attacking, all other friendly Klingon ships within range 1-2 of the flagship may convert a blank result to a [hit] result.
+[Cloak]
+[Crew] +[Tech]

Dominion Flagship
+1 Evade, Hull, Shields
Text: When defending, all friendly Dominion ships within range 1-2 of your flagship may convert a blank result to an [evade] result.
+[Scan]
+[Tech] +[Secondary Weapon]

Federation Flagship
+1 Attack, Hull, Shields
Text: When defending, all other friendly federation ships within range 1-2 of your Flagship may choose any number of defense dice and re-roll them once.
+[Battle Stations]
+[Elite Talent] +[Crew]

Independent Flagship 1
+1 Attack, Hull, Shields
Text: After your Flagship moves, you may target 1 friendly ship at rage 1, which may perform a 2nd action listed on its action bar as a free action.
+[Evade]
+[Crew] +[Tech]

Independent Flagship 2
+1 Evade, Hull, Shields
Text: After your Flagship Moves, you may target 1 other friendly ship at range 1, that ship can perform a free white or green maneuver.
+[Target Lock]
+[Elite Talent] +[Secondary Weapon]

Independent Flagship 3
+1 Attack, Evade, Hull
Text: All other friendly ships at range 1 gain +1 attack die when attacking at range 2-3
+[Scan]
+[Elite Talent] +[Tech]

Independent Flagship 4
+1 Attack, Evade, Shields
Text When defending, all other friendly ships within range 1 of your flagship gain +1 defense die.
+[Battle Stations]
+[Secondary Weapon] +[Crew]

Source:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh6VYaXHy58

USS Sutherland
4-1-4-4
90 degree forward arc, no rear arc
Text: When you initiate an attack at range 3, you may choose any number of attack dice and re-roll them once.
[Evade][Lock][Scan][Battlestations]
[Tech][Secondary Weapon][Secondary Weapon][Crew][Crew]
26 points
Maneuver fairly standard with white tight 2s and red tight 3s, red full astern 1

Secondary Weapon:
Secondary Torpedo Launcher
4 Attack
4 points
Attack (Target Lock): Discard this card and spend your target lock to make this attack.

If you have already fired another torpedo at an enemy ship in your forward firing arc this round, you may use this weapon to make a second attack against that ship at -1 attack die. you do not need to spend a second target lock to make the extra attack

Tech:
High energy Sensor sweep:
5 points
After you move, you may disable 1 active shield to performa free [Scan] Action

Elite Talent:
Disobey Orders
3 points.
You may discard this card at any time to replace 1 [evade][scan] or [battlestations] token next to your ship with a [evade][scan] or [battlestations] token.

Crew:
Christopher Hobson
4 pts
Action Gain +1 attack die when firing at a cloaked ship.

Captain:
Data
2 pts
Skill 4 [Elite Talent]
Actoin: Disable one of your crew upgrades and one of your weapon upgrades to target all cloaked ship at range 1-3. They immediately flip their cloak tokens to the red side.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uapfi-5i9JY

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 27, 2013

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Well, Data is gonna be a permanent part of my fleet.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

raverrn posted:

Well, Data is gonna be a permanent part of my fleet.

Huh, I was a bit underwhelmed. If I'm effectively giving up three actions to pull it off (or however you want to describe the opportunity cost of losing 2 upgrades that I need to spend actions to re-enable) I'd like to see those cloak tokens removed rather than flipped.

An interesting thought, though: If you didn't want to disable any weapons (and you well might not, as much as this boat kind of hints at wanting you to fire torpedo spreads at range 3), you could always take Lojur from the Excelsior expansion and disable him and another crew to have your torps remain online.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
How are the flagship cards going to be given out? You get a random one or something?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

How are the flagship cards going to be given out? You get a random one or something?

AFAIK the participation reward is a full set of 4 double-sided cards with one black ship base and peg.

I haven't gotten to physically look at my venues kit yet... or claim my Sutherland...

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

AFAIK the participation reward is a full set of 4 double-sided cards with one black ship base and peg.

I haven't gotten to physically look at my venues kit yet... or claim my Sutherland...

Ok, cool

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Gor Portas gets better with every new torpedo. If it gets ruled that you can chain Secondary Torpedo Launcher, I will never stop doing that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Gor Portas gets better with every new torpedo. If it gets ruled that you can chain Secondary Torpedo Launcher, I will never stop doing that.

Worst case you run 2 primaries and 2 secondaries and can pull it off twice... never spending your target lock to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Worst case you run 2 primaries and 2 secondaries and can pull it off twice... never spending your target lock to boot.

So it looks like you can't chain them, but that's still a good deal. I still think Spock is the only crew I want for the Portas, since his ability is completely insane.

Gor Portas (26pts)
@Gul Dukat (5pts)
-Feint (5pts)
*Quantum Torpedos (7pts)
*Quantum Torpedos (7pts)
*Secondary Torpedo Launcher (5pts)
*Secondary Torpedo Launcher (5pts)
^Mr Spock (6pts)

Command Tokens (5pts)

That leaves me with 29 points to spend on another ship, likely a barebones Kraxon. I could swap out for some cheaper torpedos, but those are honestly the best ones to pair with the STL.

• Locked thread