Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Flight Path is good stuff, Trek is good stuff, and I'm about to throw money at the Dominion and get into the local organized play.

Otisburg posted:

Other factions are the Independents (Including KHAN), Ferengi (perhaps appropriately available only by paying far out the rear end for a ship that was a limited edition tournament reward), with with the Borg and Species “Whatever Boring Numbers Thing Fluidic Space gently caress You Voyager” in the pipeline.

Don't forget Mirror Universe is also a planned faction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I don't suppose you have a link to his comments? Also, the completist sperg in me will probably necessitate picking up one Kraxon just to get access to the upgrades.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 1, 2013

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Alright, I'm all set to buy the following on Thursday:

Gor Portas
Kraxon
5th Wing Patrol x2

What are the good out-of-faction things to consider for Dominion?

EDIT: I've got a sort of urge to do some experimental jazz and make a whole fleet of 5th Wing Patrol ships. What's gonna happen to me?

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 6, 2013

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This is super helpful, even with the game being brand new.

http://trek.mywargame.com/

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What are your opinions on faction mixing? It's causing a bit of a stir on the facebook page.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Two of my 5th Patrol Wing ships have arrived! Just waiting on the Gor Portas now.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

The one thing I don't like about it is the unique ship text. In the current state of the metagame splitting up your attack dice is at best extremely corner-case situational, at worst an active system mastery "newbie trap." Stack them dice. Roll a hundred at a time, not one die a hundred times.

Though it's a developing meta, so who knows. Maybe this option will end up being the hard counter to those little fighters or whatever.

What can you dump on it right now to boost its attack dice?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hmm hmm hmm. Strike Forrrrrrce!

Strike Force 5pts

Koranak (26pts)
@Gul Dukat (5pts)
-Capture Intelligence (3pts)
%Long Range Tachyon Scan (2pts)
%Antiproton Scan (4pts)
^Breen Aide (3pts)
=48pts

Gor Portas (26pts)
@Captain Jean-Luc Picard (of the USS Enterprise) (7pts)
-Sabotage (4pts)
*Photon Torpedos [Federation] (6pts)
*Energy Dissipator (5pts)
^Boheeka (2pts)
=50pts

Hey, I am dumb and forgot to pay for Strike Force!

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 16, 2013

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Why fed photons? Energy dissipator followed by a dominion torpedo salvo amused me greatly

Converting Picard's free Battle Stations into a critical seemed like a good deal.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Alright, so swapping Fed PTs for Dom PTs doesn't sound like a bad idea. Should I go for Engage as Picards talent, since I want to get into range 1 ASAP?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Or even In'cha if we're going that route

e: What's this list for? Any specific event or scenario, or just fite spaecshipz? It's aggressively bad if we're talking OP3, but I assume since Dukat is in there maybe OP4, or just general fightspacing?

Mostly just trying to come up with a list with good synergy. Practicing and what not.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The 4th Division Battleship looks made for shield regen shenanigans.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Thing has three weapon slots. What I want to know is what you give a ship with a 6 die primary to make it worth taking secondary weapons, and how terrifying said weapons will be ported over to cheaper vessels.

Hold me.

Energy Dissipators all day everyday.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Here's my jazz for Tuesday. It's not OP, just a casual meetup.

Gor Portas
Picard + Counter Attack
Energy Dissipator x2
Photon Torpedos
Plasma Torpedos
Breen Aide
60pts

5th Patrol Wing Ship
Weyoun
Long Range Tachyon Scan
Phased Polaron Beam
Photon Torpedos
O'Brien
40pts

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Here's my jazz for Tuesday. It's not OP, just a casual meetup.

Gor Portas
Picard + Counter Attack
Energy Dissipator x2
Photon Torpedos
Plasma Torpedos
Breen Aide
60pts

5th Patrol Wing Ship
Weyoun
Long Range Tachyon Scan
Phased Polaron Beam
Photon Torpedos
O'Brien
40pts

I was wrong, it was OP3. Experienced bij in two games through planet loss and the 5th Patrol Wing getting blown up, but had a decisive victory in one with both the planet and total foe annihilation. The guys there were super nice, and I got a ton of free stuff including a Red Shirt, a set of purple bases, and token swag.

Postgame space round-up:

*Picard in the Gor Portas can really tank hits. At one point, I had two ships throwing all of the lasers at me, and I was able to get away with just a single shield loss thanks to stacking EM and Battle Stations. It's good stuff.

*Unfortunately, both my EDs were ten points of worthless. Trying to stay within range of the planet and chasing my enemies meant I was never in range 1.

*My 5th Patrol Wing ship (henceforth known as Lil' Jem'Hadar) needs a defensive build, not an offensive one.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

EDs are hard to get off, but brutal when they hit. Most people tend to avoid them because of the difficulty landing the shot, at least in my area.

Was a two-ship build crippling to your ability to lay siege to AR-558?

I wouldn't say cripple, but it mean that I could afford fewer terrible dice rolls.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Eh, the whole faction issue is typical lovely WizKids. As it stands the game just does not support the kind of faction purity Trek fans want. If they are enforcing this kind of thing during OP, I strongly recommend going Klingon.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Gor Portas gets better with every new torpedo. If it gets ruled that you can chain Secondary Torpedo Launcher, I will never stop doing that.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Worst case you run 2 primaries and 2 secondaries and can pull it off twice... never spending your target lock to boot.

So it looks like you can't chain them, but that's still a good deal. I still think Spock is the only crew I want for the Portas, since his ability is completely insane.

Gor Portas (26pts)
@Gul Dukat (5pts)
-Feint (5pts)
*Quantum Torpedos (7pts)
*Quantum Torpedos (7pts)
*Secondary Torpedo Launcher (5pts)
*Secondary Torpedo Launcher (5pts)
^Mr Spock (6pts)

Command Tokens (5pts)

That leaves me with 29 points to spend on another ship, likely a barebones Kraxon. I could swap out for some cheaper torpedos, but those are honestly the best ones to pair with the STL.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Whitehorn posted:

Thanks for the hit ;)

This game has really taken me by surprise. It's put my other gaming hobbies on the shelf for the time being.

I'm responsible for that disco-coloured mess, so if you have any requests, toss them at me.

Being able to organize upgrades by category would be helpful. Also, being able to sort Captains by skill.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I really like the idea of using the Strike Force Admiral's Orders with the two Jem'Hadar ships (the 5th Patrol Wing and the 4th Division Battleship).

Admiral's Orders: Strike Force (5pts)

4th Division Battleship with Independent Flagship 1 (46pts)
@Weyoun (4pts)
-Once More Unto the Breach (6pts)
^Varel (11pts)

5th Patrol Wing (22pts)
@Gul Dukat (5pts)

Total: 99pts

Okay, so Weyoun + Varel is dickitude of the highest order, and the Strike Force card will ensure that every round I will be able to avoid an attack. Once More Unto the Breach will be devestating at the right moment, giving me two attacks at 5 dice (6 if I can get in at range 1).

The 5WP suffers a bit, but with Dukat and the battleship, I can make it a token generating machine.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Man I literally don't know what response I have to Weyoun+Varel if you get it down to 1ship v 1ship. The only thing I can do is try to make you overlap me and lose your action. I don't generally run crew ganking, and in any event its worthless if I can't get off a shot to lower your shields.

poo poo's scary.

You're response would be to look me in the eye while I destroy your forces.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Here's an attempt at a pure Dominion build.

Admiral's Orders:
Strike Force (5pts)
United Force (0pts)

Gor Portas with Dominion Flagship - 36pts
@Gul Dukat - 5pts
*Photon Torpedos (5pts)
*Photon Torpedos (5pts)
^Breen Aide (2pts)

5th Wing Patrol Ship - 22pts
@Weyoun (4pts)
%Tetryon Emissions (3pts)
*Forward Weapons Grid (5pts)
*Photon Torpedos (5pts)
^Glinn Telle (3pts)

There's not a lot of razzledazzle here, but Glinn Telle is going to help keep your ships around longer. Plus the 5WP's attack boost will apply to Forward Weapons Grid, giving you a 4/5 split against multiple ships, or a whopping 7 attack dice with Photon Torpedos. The Gor Portas is going to be the torpedo boat that it is.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

My current plan for the next OP scenario.

Command Tokens (5pts)

Gor Portas (26pts)
@Picard (7pts) (33pts)
*Energy Disspipator (5pts)
*Photon Torpedos (5pts)
*Photon Torpedos (5pts)
^Mr. Spock (6pts)

Kraxon (26pts)
@Mirok (3pts)
^Konmel (5pts) (40pts)

Note quite sure what to do with my last seven points.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Kraxon is lookin' pretty bare, dogg. Throw some tech and weapons on that pig so it can be a threat in its own right in addition to soaking up hits from the Gore Portcullas.

Might throw the Flagship resource on it.

I had to adjust for a lack of Spock.

Gor Portas (26pts)
@Picard (7pts) (33pts)
*Energy Disspipator (5pts)
*Photon Torpedos (5pts)
*Photon Torpedos (5pts)
^Boheeka (2pts)

Kraxon with Independent Flagship #3(36pts)
@Mirok (3pts)
%Tetryon Emissions (3pts)
^Konmel (5pts)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

What is the point of taking 2 photon torpedos on the same ship? Is it just to shoot them two rounds back to back without wasting an action to recharge it?

Yeah, the Portis is basically a boat you load with torpedos and then never have to enable them.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I occasionally play it with two energy dissipator and two torps, that's fun

On the list topic, I'm trying to come up with an OP4 list that's faction pure Fed, can't decide if I can cram three ships in there or leave it at 2 super kitted up with crew

The scenario in OP4 seems to favor the super ship. I'd go with two.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Well, if I don't want to start collecting Fed, I can at least start buying into X-Wing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

The truth is all these sculpts have already been made for the Star Trek Tactics line, which I had never heard of, but appears to use the same rules as HeroClix. Just glancing at the Miniature Market page looks like they have the NX series, a couple of partially assimilated vessels, the Sovereign, and maybe some other borg ships in the pipe

Unfortunately, that doesn't fill me with confidence for WK's long term plans for Attack Wing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I've got a wild hair about pimping out a single ship as much as possible.

Strike Force 5pts

Gor Portas with Independent Flagship 1 36pts
@Jean-Luc Picard 7pts
-All Forward Disrupter Banks 5pts
*Quantum Torpedos 7pts
*Photon Torpedos (Dominion) 5pts
*Photon Torpedos (Dominion) 5pts
*Energy Dissipator 5pts
^Konmel 5pts
^N'Vek 3pts
%Antiproton Scan 4pts 87pts

Romulan Science Vessel 12pts
@Generic Captain 0pts

I get to do a fantastic amount of dice stacking here. A potential 8 dice with torpedoes, 9 against cloaked ships, with 3 actions a round and a free Evade.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

I'm not quite sure why Donotra isn't in that science vessel but ok.

Oh man, I could get the 5th Patrol Wing up to ten dice.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Well if he wants to get all huffy about canon, he should just declare the Enterprise the winner every time it shows up.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

and then hit him with a two fisted overhead smash

And then grow a beard and turn evil.

My OP is today, and I'm still waiting to hear if we can use AOs for this. I really hope so, because it makes this team so much better. An action, to free actions from the action bar, and free evade every round, plus a bonus attack die? It's just good.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

I wait patiently for your after-action report.

Went 2-1.

Match 1: Went up against a Portas, Koranak, and Kraxon, traded his Portas for my Kraxon and then we chased each other around the map until time was called. I won by two points.

Match 2: Went up against a fleet of Four stripped down Romulan ships. Managed to eliminate two of them, but an early loss of the Kraxon and a couple of bad Portas maneuvers got me a loss.

Match 3: Went up against a two ship Fed build, a loaded for bear Defiant and a D to baby sit and buff it. The first turn, it managed to roll five dodges to my five hits, but in the second turn I one shotted it with the Portas, and the third turn saw the Enterprise get blown out of the space water.

Thoughts: The Kraxon was good at pulling hits off the Portas, but Konmel was a waste on it. Keeping the Portas around is good (and our group ruled that the Kraxon's ability can trigger Counterstrike), but the regen build is a bit of a waste. It's going to have to do as much damage as it can before it gets esploded.

Coming in second place and then losing the dice-off for the Sutherland was bitter fruit.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

I remain firm in my belief that cloak on the Defiant is a trap. Its health points are in the shields. Trading that for a chance of maybe stopping some hits on your relatively fragile hull is a sucker's bet.

Certainly.

Also, being able to stack tokens is sick. I rarely rolled under 4 hits in the game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Always be at battlestations if you can help it, really.

Yeah. I think I might have a different opinion about taking Mr. Spock over Boheeka. Being able to flip a blank is nice.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Sure. Depends on what you're going for. If you have easy access to scan, Spock is good, plus instead of having to spend the token he works thru multiple attacks (great with counter attack, secondary torps, unto the breech, ferengi missiles, etc etc)

True, but with ten whole space points going to a flagship, it's going to be hard to find a spot for him.

Next month though, I am tossing the flagship on the Kraxon and seeing what happens.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Man, as much as I like the Portas, it feels a little like the weak link here. I need a sturdy ship with a good weapn to take its place.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

GorPort + Gul Dukat + Torps is pretty much a perma 5 dice ship every turn out the front and butt

Yeah, I shopped around and the only other ships with comparable stats are the Enterprise and the Excelsior. Portas it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Let me know what you space peeps think of this one:

Strike Force (5pts)

Gor Portas (26pts)
Gul Dukat (5pts)
Photon Torpedos (5pts)
Boheeka (2pts)

Kraxon with Independant Flagship 3 (36pts)
Jean-Luc Picard (7pts)
-Counterstrike (4pts)
Mr. Spock (6pts)
Konmel (4pts)

100 space points.

Traded a Photon Torpdeo for Spork so that when the Kraxon has a Battlestation token, each drat counterstrike will convert for free.

• Locked thread