Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pierzak posted:

I like the new OP. :v:

Kai Tave posted:

Before it dies I just want to point out how incredibly prophetic the tag for this thread turned out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PJOmega posted:

Wave 21 holy balls.

They're previewing wave 23 now.

They release a 3-ship wave every.single.month.

There are 13 factions. Some with only 2-3 ships.

:siren: this is not a good game :siren:

http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-u-s-s-montgolfier-for-attack-wing-wave-23

They've started aiming for "Agressively Average" with the Feds. One of the few remaining "loyalists" who gainsays me when I poo poo talk this at the FLGS (and nontheless seems to prefer playing Armada on Flightpath League Night :v: ) said that they learned their lesson and are releasing ships that are more "balanced" and "thematic" which even taken uncritically, you know, all the old ships are still things that exist. There's not really been any rebalance or retirement. (not that WK should be given any ideas)

LOL that they keep including these Silver Borg Bullets almost a year after they over-corrected and nerfed them from Obvious Solution into obscurity.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tekopo posted:

But the 24 points doesn't fit The Magic Formula(tm), so just bump up the shields by 1 and now it fits! :downs: Is this true for all ships?

Yep! The ship ability has always been "free." On ships with no shields, the cost is the same between the named, and the blank generic.

quote:

Why isn't the cost of the ability taken into account?

Probably the same reason the Borg ability to fire turreted with 6 PWV and move othagonally wasn't factored into their point value: Wizkids is, actually, super bad at this.

quote:

The last thing I noticed about the article is that the ship model on the top banner is backwards. Attention to details!

:downs:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tekopo posted:

So in those situations, why wouldn't you take the special ship? What's the point of having the smaller ship at all?

I mean within the dumb constraints of this game, sometimes there are reasons. For example:

That is a useless ship ability on a ship with a 5 primary, because Photon Torpedoes in STAW are no better and in fact probably worse than Proton Torpedoes in X-Wing have been.

The standard format caps the total you can spend on a ship at 50. There are a number of upgrades that will give you more general utility for two points than a single shield, particularly when you're working against a per-ship cap. So taking a generic Sovereign Class over the Enterprise E would definitely be a good thing to do sometimes, depending.

You know, this isn't even the stupidest thing about generic vs. named ships in STAW.

You know how in X-Wing, no matter who is flying a ship it has the same upgrade slots? If they're a skilled pilot, maybe it has an EPT, but other than that the ship is the ship. Makes sense, right?

In STAW, in addition to the shield and the text ability, the unique ship typically has one more upgrade slot. For example the original Enterprise has one more crew slot than a generic Constitution class. Okay, a little weird and arguably not super balanced, but at least it sort of makes sense: In this singular, special version there's more exceptional crew, or it's been modified to carry more weapons/specialized technology, or whatever. Hopefully you're with me so far.

When they added new versions of the ships, the generic versions didn't necessarily match up on upgrade slots.
For example, between prizes and retail releases there have been several named Romulan D'Deridex Warbirds. Among them, there are three different GENERIC warbird loadouts:
Tech, Weapon, Weapon, Crew
Tech, Weapon, Crew, Crew
Weapon, Weapon, Crew, Crew
All of the above are simply identified as "D'Deridex Class"

Depending on which unique ship the included identically named ship representing the baseline of that class card is from, the upgrade slots vary.

This would be like the Dagger Squadron Pilot in Rebel Aces randomly lost his canon slot from the normal expansion for a torpedo slot, but was still called Dagger Squadron Pilot.

This is even more confusing, IMO, than having 20 different cards called "Photon Torpedo" that do different things. Not that that's not stupid, considering it would be trivially easy to technobabble out of by just having some be called "high yield" and adding "Mk I, II, III" and stuff.

This is not a very good game.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 11, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

kingcom posted:

Oh poo poo right, I forgot that everything just packs gently caress off dice anyway.

Yep. They tried to make the Photons included in the big attack die ships "worth it" by giving them basically the same as the PWV of the ship and a "+1 if fired from a [whatever] class ship" rider. But of course with action and squadron point economy it's better just to add dice fixing/more dice to your PWV other ways.

I got into an argument with a guy about the relative merits and one of his observations was:

Generally, in this game (and just about any other) so-called 'ambiguities' are usually just people trying to read something in such a way to gain an undue advantage. Heck, the shenanigans leading to the oft derided "may ruling" are a perfect example of this--I mean seriously, the amount of people who pulled the lawyering of saying it had to actually say "Action:" to be limited to once a turn...that was just plain silliness.

The attendance drop-offs started basically because of people pulling that crap. Though those who didn't bother trying and just resorted to the buzz word "overpowered" with regard to the Borg didn't help.

"Meta get gutted by one ship being a 6 PWV turret with 14 HP a dial that allows for omnidirectional othaginal movement like a chess rook, for 40 points? Obviously the fault of people who refuse to get gud."

Also the "may" ruling was a poo poo fix, and there was zero basis prior to it to infer that passive effects couldn't or shouldn't be triggered every time their condition was met. A forward looking designer capable of technical writing would have simply included very basic "once per turn" wording and solved it out the gate.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Britons readin my thread, takin my advice.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Guess the turn out for the most recent Regional Event in NYC.

Go on, guess.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

6 people attended the STAW regionals in NYC.

I just went to an X-Wing store championship in Nowheresville, Cheeseheadland, and that drew 24.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 21, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Now that I am finally done with this garbage, they actually come out with an organized play arc based on the Best Treks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tekopo posted:

What's the actual arc then?

Trek II, III, and IV

(VI would be good, too, but is not part of it.)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Prizes are the cardboard to run an indy Reliant with new version of Khan And Friends, Kruge's BOP, the HMS Bounty, and the grand prize is the Enterprise-A (Apparently this one actually includes the model.)

Looking at the prize cards they even seem to have tightened up the wording by aping X-Wing's style, clarifying which step things happen in and stuff.

Not buying any new poo poo, but I may play in these with fun thematic fleets from what I own when they're run locally.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fish out of water comedy Trek great Trek.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Voyage Home was my very first exposure to Trek in any form, if you can believe that. I thought that Bird of Prey was just their ship.

The rules are up for all the scenarios and Voyage home is pretty boring. Rather than some kind of business where you fly to a planet to beam up a whale token or something, it just has the probe flying across the map loving with you.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

gently caress I need to get off my rear end, get my stuff sorted out and close the deal on this lot sale.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

http://www.antreduwookie.fr/2016/03/cycle-endor-force-pack-4-swjce-review.html

So Be It has

1) Even more Caravan of Courage canon
2) Rebel Mission that plain kills an objective of choice. :catstare:

Before you poo poo yourselves, it has 10 hp, so it's like an on-demand Guarding the Wing. Which is super cool imo, as it's effectively a trench run in a decent set that's still useful if you draw it few turns into the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlhzX7UKKNU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Turning my collection into a few hundred bucks tonight. Probably less than it's "worth" but I don't want to go to the hassle of parting everything out and 3 C-Bills in my pocket gonna do more for me than a bunch of plastic spaceships in my closet.

It's over.

It's finally over.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

This thread remains open so we can mock this sad dying game further.

from the most recent preview:

This is either a misprint, incredibly badly worded, or taken at face value interacts with a basic rule in such a way that it does literally nothing.

GG WK

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Huh, a 4x star trucks, not by WK? Gaurdedly intrigued. Wasn't my cup of tea but GF9 did a good job making a decent and thematic Firefly game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

If by "decent and thematic" you mean "a drawn-out interminable slog full of hoping the RNG doesn't gently caress you and praying for an early death" then yes.

Since it wasn't my cup of tea I just played the one game. Perhaps it was an outlier as no one seemed overly ameritrashed.

E: also to be fair the show was pretty much all of that, and would have bee na interminable slog if it had gone past 2-3 seasons almost certainly, so that's thematic too. :v:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Where's the best place to dump my collection?

There's a facebook trade group if you're trying to avoid Feebay, or the Boardgamegeek community might be worth a shot. I unloaded mine in the local facebook group.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Miniature Market doesn't want it.

lol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I mailed mine to Otisburg.

Really?

I never got them, believe it or not.

This is probably for the best for all concerned.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah. Late last night.

Enjoy.

Adrian Veidt'd me.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 20, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Update: Jonas sent it to an old address that is no longer fowarding, and as far as I know still occupied by an ex I no longer speak to. I doubt she will go out of her way to re-establish contact to give it to me, and think the most likely outcome is she'll RTS it. I do hope we get an update if this is the case.

Hoisted by his own Picard.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

To me, that just makes it funnier.

It's 50/50 either going to make it way more unpleasant for me when I have to deal with her to get a white elephant prank gift, or boomerang it back to you. Either outcome is funny.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Otisburg posted:

This thread remains open so we can mock this sad dying game further.

from the most recent preview:

This is either a misprint, incredibly badly worded, or taken at face value interacts with a basic rule in such a way that it does literally nothing.

GG WK

Update: The intended function of this card was to let you remove an aux after a white maneuver, but not take an action that turn. Sort of like a lovely Chekov/Kanan Jarus.

http://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10668&sid=0a7e0e8cb3894263c4ea196a3fb17490

Pretty sure they're just on autopilot having some intern or markov bot making rules text without an understanding of how the rules works as they try to milk this game for the last few buxx in its twilight.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

:words:

Man it's easy to get spoiled by the simple, direct language and keywording on X-Wing cards.

This one isn't, like, unusable or nonsensical, it just uses a dense wording "If you are not cloaked disable yada yada yada..." that appears almost identically across like two dozen plus cards and should have been condensed to a keyword: "ACTION: Board a ship. Discard this card and..."

Man, if I were still drinking the flavor aide this Movie Era Trek stuff would be so my poo poo. This OP cycle was basically like the ex drunk texting "come back and I'll let you do that One Filthy Thing you always wanted" but I stayed strong.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas: No word, and sounds like they never got returned to sender, so my exgf probably threw them in the trash.

Say what you will she knows what should be done with Attack Wing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tekopo posted:

So we appear to be still stuck on Wave 24, but if we kept up the release schedule, we should be up to wave 27 now. The latest wave was nothing but re-used models (new paint!). Has the beast been slain?

They released another giant cube with a little ball that comes out like in star trek 8.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kilo147 posted:

Anyone got a few spare red bases and pegs? I'm setting up my X-Wing ships in STAW bases for the extra corner bulk, and need a trio of red ones for my primary setup.

Sold mine off in the lot sale.

Keep in mind that the "extra corner bulk" is going to make them incompatible with X-Wing to all but the most casual of flyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"STAW still loves me its my fault I do things to make him angry."

• Locked thread