Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Eberron! :woop: Whelp time to bust out the character builder and put effort into an app for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Enna Carreth, Elf Rogue Private Detective

"...and in conclusion: I forsee great things for the Dura district in the next six months. Are there any questions at this time?"

"Yeah, when can we expect to see the great things from the last six months, or the year before that?"

The eyes of the press conference turned to the back of the room. Most of Lian Halamar's security had been covering the stage and his escape routes, with only basic scrying stations set up at the door to the conference hall. The speaker was an elven woman; far from old but certainly not young anymore, with the weight of the world in her eyes.

"Ms. Carreth, always a pleasure to see you at one of these events. I trust the rest of the room is familiar with my fellow keeper of the peace, Enna Carreth." Halamar was full of poo poo. For a number of years Enna had been frustrating Halamar and the Boromar family by taking bold action to uncover against the latter, forcing the former to make arrests. She had never linked the two; that would require more resources than she had. Today she was here on a different mission, and she had a trump card.

"Commander Halamar, do you expect us to believe that the Dura Watch is doing everything it can? Three years have passed since you were appointed and, according to my statistics, the average crime rate has stayed exactly the same. Almost as if the crooks here are afraid to attract too much attention."

Halamar rubbed his forehead with mock fatigue, and his security team began to close around him almost imperceptibly. "I can't speak for an entire underclass of criminal, Ms. Carreth, but my department has no evidence suggesting every single crook in the district has been telepathically conspiring to keep their activities out of my sight." For a second Enna caught a glance of that poo poo-eating "I'm untouchable" grin of his.

"Fair enough," she replied, then added quickly, "One more question, if I might: the Dura district has yet to nominate a candidate for the Advanced Tactics Squad initiative. What's the meaning of this?" The tension was gone from the air. Every conference she'd been too had gone more or less the same way for years: she'd barrage the corrupt bastard with questions and he'd deflect them with ease. Yet Enna found her stomach in knots. What if he was on to her this time?

But Halamar dismissed the comment in phrasing so perfect it could only be a miracle. "We're reviewing every applicant carefully. Believe me, no one wishes more than me that the perfect candidate would swoop in and turn their application in to me personally. I'll take one more question; Mr. ir'Geddin?"

ir'Geddin never got to ask his question, because Enna took two strides forward and leapt onto the stage, drawing her meticulously filled out application scroll and slamming it into Halamar's hands. The security guards had their swords out in moments but Halamar held up a hand to stop them. "Your interview had better be good, Ms. Carreth," he said quietly. The room went silent.

"It's all there in the scroll. I think you'll agree I'm among the most talented fighters with blade or crossbow in the district, and my skill for investigation is second to none, as evidenced by our cooperation in bringing down many senior members of the Boromar family. They're pretty mad about that, by the way; sent a half-dozen guys to kill me and burn my office to the ground. If only I'd had some proof they were connected to the big guy." With this, she folded her arms thoughtfully for a moment, briefly revealing to Halamar a small, pouch of gold with the Watch emblem on it. His eyes nearly popped out of his head, but before he could react further, she moved away and continued. "At any rate, I'm the foremost expert on interrogation, investigation, and inquisition in the district, if not the city. I think the special unit could use someone with my skills." She turned back to Halamar. "And most importantly, I'd be benefiting the whole of the city rather than disrupting your press conferences trying to do some good in Dura. In short: I get the job done. Whatever it takes."

"I'll, uh, have the paperwork sent ahead to Central."

---

As Enna passed through the lobby she noticed a guardsman frantically checking his pockets. As they passed in the crowd, she moved beside him.

"You really shouldn't carry your purse while you're on duty, officer," she whispered into his ear, slipping it back into his hand. "Left a little extra in there for the trouble."

By the time he turned around she was gone, out the door, looking up at the City of Towers.

"Whatever it takes, Halamar," she murmured.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
:woop:

pre:
Enna Carreth 						 
HP: 74/74 (THP:0)        AC:   24    Passive Insight: 25
Surges: 7/7 (V:18)       For:  20    Passive Perception: 27
Initiative: +10   	 Ref:  26    Action Points: 1
Speed: 7   	         Will: 23    

Encounter               Daily  	  	  	Items
[ ]Suprise Strike  	[ ]Spinning Blade Leap  	[ ]Boltshard Crossbow
[ ]King's Castle  	[ ]Go For The Eyes  	  	[ ]Sacrificial Shortsword
[ ]Tumble  	  	[ ]Knockout Blow  	  	[ ]Shadowdance Armor
[ ]Low Slash  	  	  	  	  	  	[ ]Cape of the Mountebank
[ ]Snap Shot
[ ]Acrobat's Escape
[ ]Darkstrider's Ambush
[ ]Second Wind

Basic Attacks/At-Wills
Shortsword MBA: melee 1, +18 vs. AC, 1d6+8
Hand-xbow RBA: ranged 15/25, +19 vs. AC, 1d6+10
Piercing Strike: melee 1, +18 vs. Ref, 1d6+8, shift 2 on hit
Sly Flourish: ranged 15/25 or melee 1, +18 vs. AC, 1d6+13

Gear
Adventurer's Kit
Glass Cutter
Thieves' Tools (+2 Thievery to open lock or disable trap)
Inquisitive's Kit (+2 Perception to search for something specific)
Footpads (+1 Stealth to move silently)
Camouflaged Clothing (+2 Stealth to blend in)
Dual Arrow +2 x1
Spider Bolt +3 x1

Conditionals
Sneak Attack: 1/turn, +3d8 damage to target granting CA
Hunter's Quarry: 1/enc, designate nearest enemy as quarry until EOMNT; 1/turn, +2d6 damage to quarry
Darkstrider's Edge: +7 damage against foes I'm hidden from or who haven't acted yet
Sharpshooter Talent: +1 hit with crossbows
Improved Cunning Sneak: When I end movement more than 2 squares away with concealment or cover, free Stealth check to hide
Sense Threat: Allies with lower initiative than me gain +2 racial bonus

Features
Cunning Sneak (Improved): No penalty to Stealth for moving more than 2 squares. 
First Strike: CA and +7 damage against all foes who haven't acted yet in a fight
Dark Action: On AP, +4 to all defenses until EOMNT
Expert Sneak: Deafened, slowed, immobilized, or weakened foes grant CA
Outlaw: In City, ignore difficult terrain and can't be tracked
Wild Step: Ignore difficult terrain when shifting
Sense Threat: Roll Perception for initiative; 
Wood Elf Reactive Stealth: If any cover or concealment when I roll initiative, free Stealth check to hide
Disclaimer and request: I am male, but I was interested in playing a hard boiled lady detective who doesn't take poo poo from nobody. Basically, Renegade FemShep. So if I run up against the Don't Be A loving Creep rule and somehow don't realize it, please let me know, I like my forums account.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 26, 2013

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Thundarr posted:

- Can spend one PP when rolling initiative to gain a +3 bonus

FYI, this stacks with my +2 bonus for having a lower initiative than me--it's a racial bonus and my initiative is a Perception check so you'll basically never not get a benefit from Sense Threat.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Should be OK now. My personal formatting suggestion that everyone is free to follow or ignore:

<This is something Enna is bringing to the forefront of her mind for the party telepath to pick up on, I imagine in an Eberron game with a psion about this will be a thing that happens a lot>

This is an example of something only Thundarr should read:

Thundarr: <you smell bad>

Does your telepathy work only between you and each other ally, or can two allies use you as a link and communicate telepathically through your brain?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Kurieg posted:

That's a confusingly named feat. Doesn't have much to do with sneaking. Probably why it's the only feat of yours I didn't check[/i]

It probably should be in my features list, too, so now it is. It really isn't very stealthy, but it does relate indirectly to Sneak Attack

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Oh yeah, that was kind of a bust, huh :downs:

Still, kinda seems a waste to use a daily on these chumps at this point.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I assume not, then

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Kurieg posted:

I guess this is as good a time as any to point out/ask, I'm planning on having your encounter rewards be paid out as your salary, you can also retrieve illicit contraband and requisition additional equipment for the other items out of treasure parcels. Any objections?

Sounds very cool. I was kind of wondering how rewards would go down, I assumed jacking evidence from a crime scene, even shiny +4 magic evidence, is a no-no.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Korlac posted:

Welp, time to get a new rogue. Seems ours is already broken. Shame really, only used her once (Just kidding Walker :) )

Herein lies the curse of D&D: a d20 has a lot of sides on it, 20 in fact, and regardless of how high you get your modifier you still have a 5 or 10% chance of failure on any given roll. I wish I could find some way to reroll my skill checks :(

e: y'know what let's make it a character moment.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 20, 2013

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
e: all clear

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 20, 2013

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Nah go ahead and leave. I'd like to be empowered though, do you have to choose now?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Kurieg posted:

Side Note: all this is in City of Towers, I'm not only doing this to spite Walker's wild speculation.

Like hell you aren't. This plot confuses and angers me :psylon:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
And here we are without an arena fighter, the build that was born for bar fights.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
And in comes the rogue with the Hail Mary. On an unrelated note what are the house rulings on subduing NPC warforged?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Alright maybe this skill check will do the trick! :v:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
That was borderline anticlimactic.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
No, just analysis paralysis. Update today

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I checked, and that didn't end up dicking over my previous move--Enna's Wild Step means I ignore difficult terrain while shifting, including, oh, say, powers like Tumble.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
This holiday season, you are thankful for strikers and their minor-action attacks to absorb the full brunt of the d20's wrath.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
While I'm thinking of it, do I recognize any of the nonsense Fuller and friends are spouting from Twelve's last words?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Depends. Is Anodyne the guy at M21 using the same icon as all the other grunts? Let's pretend I attacked the guy to the south, didn't have CA, and did 4 less damage.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Thundarr, could you hit Fuller with a Force Grasp on your turn? That would give me CA so I could finish him off.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Just waiting on one of these pricks to give up CA :colbert:

Post later, coffee now.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
That would be the paper-thin striker please and thank you. I only volunteered because I've been hit all of once; it hurt.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Central, with the understanding that it will take longer to get there and probably cause complications along the way.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

How I Feel About Skill Challenges posted:

1: Pitch the problem to the PCs.
2: Let the PCs come up with a plan to deal with it. And off the wall plans aren't remotely a problem to deal with.
3: Evaluate their plan as a skill challenge and let them work through it, using the skill challenge structure as a framework for how many and how hard rolls to ask for to make for a satisfying scene. Treat each roll as a fail-forward piece of challenge resolution towards the greater plan.
If the challenge works like this I am ok with it.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Thundarr, I'm guessing your +12 is the best Bluff score in the group? You'll have to execute my brilliant plan if it comes to that.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Well, the Rodney King usage is already covered by Ghorma and his everything.

E: So, Anodyne is down for at least a round, more if he doesn't save. Can he willingly not attempt to save against Knockout, because that would be super useful for working on getting the artifact out. Or as long as we're beating up our buddy Malakhad must have a way to penalize saves without doing damage.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 6, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Man, I'm just waiting for Interesting poo poo to happen and reacting accordingly. Let's go raid a secret lair!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Armor of Dark Deeds +3 (L14) and either the Stone of Wind (L12) if Rare items are allowed, or Assassin's Cloak +3 (L14) if not.

Ennapost later, trying to decide if I want to hate Elliot for stealing my take-no-poo poo thorny rose bit, or if I approve of diversifying this sausage fest.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Of course, now that Ovo's game is dead, I'm at imminent risk of death here too :negative:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Eh, we have one of each it can wait a bit.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I was really hoping for you to use that picture :allears:

Fake e: I mean it's basically Eberron.jpg and no decent game in the setting can avoid it

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Proposed respec for Enna, as approved by the boss man. Basic package is a super stealthy crossbow Hunter, with a couple Seeker tricks. I imagine Enna's "Harry your Prey the Easy Way" mail-order kit finally arrived, containing a new magic weapon and necktie. I sold off my old magic stuff for residuum at 50%.

Only thing you melee guys need to do is keep yourself between me and trouble. Anyone with spare feats should pick up World Serpent's Grasp if you want to keep bad guys on their asses 24/7 in conjunction with my at-will slow and 3/enc immobilize.

...CharOp isn't an addiction, I can quit any time I want :colbert:

pre:
Enna Carreth, Wood Elf Hunter/Peerless Hunter 12

Str 11(00) Con 14(+2) Dex 21(+5) Int 9(-1) Wis 21(+5) Cha 12(+1)
AC: 26 Fort: 21 Reflex: 29 Will: 27
HP: 80/80 THP: 00 Surges: 7/7 (V: 20)
Init: +15 (roll 2x/take best)

TRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +16, Perception +18, Stealth +16, Acrobatics +16, Insight +16, Nature +18

ASPECTS (at-will stances, minor to switch)
[ ]Dancing Serpent: At EOMT, free action shift 1. +1 hit, +2 damage against enemies w/o their allies adjacent
[ ]Lone Wolf: At SOMT, learn location of all bloodied enemies within 5 squares. +2 hit against bloodied enemies.
[O]Pouncing Lynx: +4 init. +2 attack during first turn. +5 defenses against OAs from moving.

AT-WILL
Basic Attack (while hidden)
Aimed Shot: RBA takes only -2 penalty for total concealment. Half damage on miss
Clever Shot: RBA slides 2, knocks prone, or slows (save ends) on hit. Slide 1 on miss
Rapid Shot: RBA against all creatures in or adjacent to target square

ENCOUNTER			DAILY
[ ]Biting Swarm (RBA)		[ ]Stalker's Mist
[ ]Thorn Trap			[ ]Inevitable Shot
[ ]Grasping Trap		[ ]Targeting Weapon (After I hit, allies can roll 2x/take best until EOMNT)
[ ]Invigorating Stride	[ ]Amulet of Elegy +3 (-3 to first save against my power)
[ ]Reactive Shift
[ ]Second Wind
[ ][ ][ ]Disruptive Shot

GEAR
30 pp
13500 residuum
Adventurer's kit
Camo+footpads
Adamantine cuffs
Inquisitive's kit

AND THE REST
+2 Athletics, Thievery, Stealth (+4 to hide or sneak). +2 Perception to search
After attacking with CA, concealment UEOMNT. When I have at least partial concealment, enemies grant CA. :getin:
After crit, enemy grants CA UEOMNT
Ignore attack penalties for cover, running, prone targets
Ranged attacks don't provoke. Load minor> load free
On AP, can reroll each attack before EOMT; take second roll
2 shift distance from Invigorating Stride/Reactive Shift
2 damage and no penalty to hit prone targets

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 16, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I hope you're prepared for what you're getting into.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
New sheet!

pre:

AC: 26 Fort: 21 Reflex: 29 Will: 27
HP: 80/80 THP: 00 Surges: 7/7 (V: 20)
Init: +11 (roll 2x/take best)

TRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +16, Perception +18, Stealth +16, Acrobatics +16, Insight +16, Nature +18

[ ]Dancing Serpent: At EOMT, free action shift 1. +1 hit, +2 damage against enemies w/o their allies adjacent
[ ]Lone Wolf: At SOMT, learn location of all bloodied enemies within 5 squares. +2 hit against bloodied enemies.
[O]Pouncing Lynx: +4 init. +2 attack during first turn. +5 defenses against OAs from moving.

AT-WILL
Aimed Shot: RBA takes only -2 penalty for total concealment. Half damage on miss
Clever Shot: RBA slides 2, knocks prone, or slows (save ends) on hit. Slide 1 on miss

ENCOUNTER				DAILY
[ ]Biting Swarm			[ ]Stalker's Mist
[ ]Grasping Trap		[ ]Targeting Weapon (After I hit, allies can roll 2x/take best until EOMNT)
[ ]Invigorating Stride		[ ]Amulet of Elegy +3 (-3 to first save against my power)
[ ]Reactive Shift
[ ]Elven Accuracy
[ ]Second Wind
[ ][ ][ ]Disruptive Shot

CONDITIONALS ETC.
Shadowdancer's Set: +2 Athletics, Thievery, Stealth (+4 to hide or sneak)
Inquisitive's Kit: +2 Perception to search
Armor of Dark Deeds: After attacking with CA, concealment UEOMNT
Targeting Weapon: After crit, enemy grants CA UEOMNT
Close Combat Archery: Ranged attacks don't provoke
Hunter's Action: On AP, can reroll each attack before EOMT; take second roll
Elven Precision: +2 to Elven Accuracy reroll
Martial Accuracy: Reroll martial attacks twice with Elven Accuracy
Crossbow Expertise: Ignore cover
Hidden Sniper: When I have any concealment, enemies grant CA
Speed Loader: Reload as free action
Grouinding Shot: +2 damage and no penalty to hit prone targets
Running Shot: No ranged attack penalty for running

[B]GEAR
120 pp
4500 residuum
Adventurer's kit
Camo+footpads
Adamantine cuffs
Inquisitive's kit

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
True confessions: totally updated my character sheet and lost the old one right after last combat, thank god I didn't make any attack rolls before leveling.

Anyhow here's the really finalized sheet, maybe wishlist later, maybe not (not too much I need)

pre:
AC: 26 Fort: 21 Reflex: 28 Will: 23
HP: 81/81 THP: 00 Surges: 8/8 (V: 20)
Init: +13 (roll 2x/take best) Speed: 8 Vision: Low light

SKILLS
Acrobatics +16, Dungeoneering +16, Heal +11, Insight +16, Nature +18, Perception +18, Stealth +16, Thievery +13

AT-WILL

ENCOUNTER			DAILY
[ ]Biting Swarm			[ ]Stalker's Mist
[ ]Grasping Trap
[ ]Invigorating Stride
[ ]Reactive Shift
[ ]Weapon of Speed
[ ]Elven Accuracy
[4]Disruptive Shot
[ ]Second Wind

CONDITIONALS ETC.
Armor of Dark Deeds: After attacking with CA, concealment UEOMNT
Amulet of Distortion: +2 defenses against ranged attacks from more than 5 squares way
Shadowdancer's Boots: +1 speed, +2 when starting turn in dim light/darkness
Shadowdancer's Gloves: +1d6 damage when hidden
Close Combat Archery: Ranged attacks don't provoke
Hunter's Action: On AP, can reroll each attack before EOMT; take second roll
Elven Precision: +2 to Elven Accuracy reroll
Martial Accuracy: Reroll martial attacks twice with Elven Accuracy
Crossbow Expertise: Ignore cover
Hidden Sniper: When I have any concealment, enemies grant CA
Speed Loader: Reload as free action
Grouinding Shot: +2 damage and no penalty to hit prone targets
Running Shot: No ranged attack penalty for running

GEAR
300 gp
4500 residuum
Adventurer's kit
Camo+footpads
Adamantine cuffs
Inquisitive's kit

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 3, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I swear I didn't mean to crit twice in one turn, sorry about your solo.

(fun fact: beholders are the only monster in 4e with a save-or-die power and it's against Fort)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Sooner that guy fucks off, the better. Can I attempt a Wisdom check to put together any pieces I might be missing?

• Locked thread