Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Araykoth Feurerwehr, Dragon Spy and Sharn Watchman

Araykoth doesn't remember much from before his father died. Most of what he does is constantly moving, the constant fear and misrust. He does clearly remember when he was 'adopted' not long after his father's death. Coming forth from the heavens, scaled in burning scarlet scales, with a undeniable presence of pride and intimidation. Araykoth didn't know why a red dragon took interest into him, but Garshilan, the dragon, made it clear that his adoption was not something Araykoth had any say in.

Raised in Argonnessen under Garshilan's strict parentage, taught to control power innate to his Araykoth was taught what he thought an odd eclectic range of topics before, when he came of age, the reason for it all. Garshilan wished to have Araykoth act as his hand in a place he couldn't go without drawing attention to himself and his actions. Set forth to Sharn with orders to join the Watch, Araykoth did so. From there it was years of no contact from Garshilan, during which Araykoth had simply done the job of watchman. He grew comfortable with his life, guarding the peace and the public, never doing anything to draw attention to himself. Araykoth thought that he might never hear from his adoptive parent again.

Which is why Araykoth was surprised that he both received a letter from his 'father' and a promotion on the same day. The letter simply said "I'm proud of you and your work so far, be sure and keep my up to date." Now Araykoth knows he's stepping into something his 'dad' wants to know about and will have to tread lightly as he does his duty to Sharn and Garshilan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Arannis Anvilhammer, the Six Million Gold Piece Elf

Urist Anvilhammer had almost everything good in life. A loving wife, a steady flow of smith work, and enough ale to sate a dwarven thirst. What he lacked, however, was a child. Despite the prayers and efforts of himself and the missus, the Anvilhammers' never had a child, until one night there came a knocking on the door of their home. Answering the door Urist found only a fey child bundled in a blanket. Seeing it as a sign, the Anvilhammers took in the child and raised him as their own.

Arannis quickly took to the art of crafting, using the superior smithy skills his adoptive father taught him with his own innate arcane abilities to craft amazing devices and gadgets. He quickly proved a prodigal artificer, with a few Houses looking to hire him. However, Arannis chose a different path. Taking his well trained eye for detail, knowledge of magic and technology, and sense of justice Arannis joined House Deneith so he could protect the innocent.

After 20 years of service, tragedy struck. Arannis failed to disarm an active explosive, prematurely detonating it. He barely survived but lost both arms in the explosion. Most people would have quit there, perhaps fallen into melancholy or into heavy drinking. Most people aren't as stubborn as dwarves. Working countless hours and long nights, Arannis and Urist forged iron arms that functioned for those of flesh just as well as their own arms.

However, the House wasn't convinced and wasn't willing to risk the arms failing at inappropriate moments. So Arannis was shuffled to a desk job, identifying the arcane and alchemical as well organizing contracts for outside mercenary groups using Deneith's services. This continued for some time, until one day Arannis' superiors told him that he was being sent to Sharn, to aid in an ongoing investigation. Itching for field work and trusting in his mechanical limbs Arannis set forth to Sharn.

Knowing next to nothing not on the public Eberron wiki about the setting I bumbled about and made some broad assumptions about how common mechanical limbs are, holler at me if something needs reworking.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Thakum Vondal

Thakum sat at his desk, pen scratching down the notes on his latest, and last, report. A group of his fellow guardsmen approach. "Hey Thakum, we're headin' down to the pub, come along an' let us toast to your retirement." Chuckling Thakum stops writing and looks to the group. "Sorry lads, gotta make sure tha paperwork's good or ol' Yorgan'll drag me back and keep me workin' fer as long as he can manage!" Light chuckling all around, interrupted by someone clearing their throat. Silence befalls Thakum and the rest of the guard as everyone slowly notices that Belew Yorgan was in fact, right there. "You lads are off duty then? Go on, enjoy your drinkin'. Vondal, my office. Now." Silently the once joking and laughing group files out while Thakum silently puts his pen away, cursing himself for not noticing his superior's presence.

"I'm real sorry 'bout that, sir. Ya know how the lads can-" Thakum started his apology as he opened the door to Yorgan's office before being silenced by his look. "This isn't disciplining you for your casual conversation with off duty coworkers, Thakum." Moving from his window to sit in his chair, Belew pauses before continuing. "You might have heard some things filtering through the ranks about the new division and it tackling things considered too big for one district. Some... Concerned citizens brought to my attention a bit of a fracas over in Northedge involving its members going, quite frankly, to the Cogs for the officers." Cutting in, Thakum asks "And what does this hafta do with me, sir?" Frowning slightly at being interrupted, Yorgan replies "Well, it's no secret that Central Plateau's one of, if not the, safest and cleanest section of Sharn, and if this new squad can't handle whatever's being thrown at it, well, perhaps Central should share some of its talent." With that Yorgan pointedly stops.

Considering a moment, Thakum finally finds his voice "So, ya got some pressure from the nobles to put some of yer boys on this new squad." Pausing to sigh, Thakum continues "...An' ya want me on tha list of folk yer sendin' them." His mouth turning down slightly, Yorgan replies "Mostly correct, and blunt as always Thakum. No, they want my best on SWATS to clean up whatever mess they have that's spilling into my district and threatening the safety of the innocent..." Standing and leaning over his desk Yorgan pokes his finger into Thakum's chest "...And as much as I don't like you or your attitude Thakum, you just so happen to be my best. So I'll borrow a page from your book, and be as blunt as I can. You are not retiring anytime soon, I am transferring you to SWATS, and you will continue to be the best guardsman I have seen or else you will leave the Watch a disgraced, penniless pauper. Do I make myself clear, Officer Vondal?"

The silence hangs for a moment before Thakum replies "Crystal, sir." Lifting his finger from Thakum's chest Yorgan smooths back his hair and collects himself. "You're excused, Vondal. I still expect that report on my desk tonight." Returning to his desk Thakum collected himself, containing his anger. Though on reflection he wasn't personally exactly at what. Either at being threatened so clearly by Belew, or maybe that he thought that he needed to be blackmailed into doing the job... Thakum shook his head, putting out of his mind that he would need to tell his dear Hilda about this at day's end, but right now he had this report to finish.

~~~~~~

Thakum Vondal has spent most of his adult dwarven life patrolling the beat in Sharn, having joined the watch at a young age and been there since. Renowned for being more stubborn than a warforged juggernaut and always bringing in his perps in alive Thakum's blunt personality and reluctance to play politics kept getting him transferred all over Sharn Watch before Belew Yorgan, Commander of the Central Plateau Watch noticed his lack of ambition for a higher position and firmly latched on to Thakum, keeping him in Central.

Thakum had made a family in the midst of all this, and as his hair whitened his wife talked more and more of retirement, maybe leaving Sharn for the countryside, for the two to live out simple lives and be visited by children and grandchildren, far from the hustle and bustle of the big city. And worn down like a stone in a river Thakum eventually put in to retire, but it seems he has at least one more job to do before that will come to pass.

ArkInBlack fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 5, 2014

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Tarnen Kastanian

Outside a warehouse within Dura District, late evening

Tarnen approached the warehouse, double checking the address. It matched. Spotting a burly half orc leaning against a side door he approached. As he got near he stated simple "Ralph's expectin' me." Looking him over the half orc finally nods, pulling open the door and letting Tarnen pass before shutting it behind him. Walking past more thugs, one points him to the corner office. Up the stairs and past two guards Tarnen finally sees him. Gold piled upon his desk being counted out Ralph finally looks up and notices Tarnen's arrival.

Quietly finishing a stack of coins, Ralph places them to the side before looking to Tarnen "I hope you realize Tarnen, that you're two days late. And after I got you more of that Bull's Strength. I'm beginning to think you might be abusing my generous nature." Tarnen doesn't need to look back to confirm that the two guards are uncomfortably close, ready to grab him the moment the order is given. Instead he keeps his eyes locked with Ralph's as he continues "So for your sake, I hope you have my gold." Reaching down Tarnen pulls aside one of his many layers, grabbing a sack and placing it on the desk with an audible jingle of metal.

Expression softening slightly, Ralph pulls the sack open and upends it, pouring the gold coins into the open. Now smiling he looks back up. "Well well, this here. This right here," Ralph punctuates this by tapping his hand against the desk, "Is why I am generous. I give generously, and fate rewards my kindness. Thank you, Tarnen, for not abusing my generosity."
The smile on his face imperceptible Tarnen nods at Ralph. "'Course I wouldn't do that Ralph, I look like some kinda bum to you?" Smirking at this Ralph replies "Well with that getup yer about a walk through Cogs from lookin' like one! Now get outta here, I got better things to do then mock ya sense of fashion." With that he shifts aside some of the coin, spotting a different shape among the coin. Grabbing it and pulling it out Ralph holds a badge of the Sharn Watch.

Tarnen was ready for this moment, when he spots the flash of his badge he immediately springs into action, punching one of the thugs in the face and whirling around to meet the other's attack. Trading blows Tarnen stumbles back and then kicks the thug as he attempts to close. Ralph finally shouts "He's a pig, get 'em!" as he stands and draws his short sword. The two stare at each other a moment as those below begin to rush the stairs. "Whaddya think was gonna happen out numbered like this, we give up? Yer an idiot, and soon yer gonna be a dead idiot." Tarnen laughs at this, before replying "No, Raplh. I'm the distraction."

With that all the doors to the warehouse burst open, kicked in by armored members of the Sharn Watch! The fight is short due to the Watch's numerical superiority and in short time the warehouse is swarming with the Watch and Blackened Book to take stock of how big a bust they made. Tarnen, sitting on an empty crate, is approached by the sergeant of the squad. "Hell of a move back there Tarn, if we were even a bit slower you'd probably be dead."

"Maybe, but if I hadn't gotten all of 'em rounded up and looking in your boys might've been seen. Then I'd be in worse trouble and you'd have an actual fight on your hands rather then clean up." Shaking his head at hearing this the sergeant sighs. "Well either way got word the captain wants you back at HQ ASAP. Went as far to make sure you didn't dawdle helping us 'clean up' too."

~~~

The Kastanian family were refugees from Cyre, escaping the blasted hellscape that it became after the Day of Mourning. Settling within Breland and becoming farmers, the family always seemed to have a shadow cast over it. Bad luck just seemed to haunt the family, being barely able to support itself with poor harvests and always getting sickly animals. Always being on the brink of ruin while farming is what eventually drove Tarnen to join a House Medani sponsored border patrol group. Notable in that this group patrolled the border of the Mournland to protect civilization from the monstrous things that called the Mournland home.

Eventually, on a particularly bad day for Tarnen, his squad was scouting a spotted smoke plume for signs of a gathering and boy did they find a gathering. A large cult had setup a ritual sacrifice for some ill deed. The sergeant of the squad unable to decide on a course of action Tarnen leaped in to put a stop to it. He partly succeeded. He quickly ran in and slew the head cultist and prevented the sacrifice of the innocent lass the cult had kidnapped, but inadvertently completed the ritual by slaying the cultist within the circle. With no one to channel the magical energies it proceeded to build and then release in a massive burst of death fueled arcane energies, which Tarnen became suffused with. After returning and receiving a thorough examination Tarnen was discharged from the patrol group as being unfit to serve, under the fear that the magics that were now a part of him would act as a beacon for the patrol's activities.

Unwilling to return home and possibly further sabotage his family's luck, Tarnen went to Sharn under the advice of one of his comrades. Joining the Watch he eventually found himself a member of the illicit narcotics deparment, Department of Restricted and Unlicensed Goods and Services, working for a length of time as an undercover agent to try and hamper the drug trade within the Dura district. Having just succeeded at that in a big way seems to have drawn some attention Tarnen's way, with this new SWATS division in need of good men to get work done.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Unsure if I should put the fact that I can use my Bravura Presence as if I was my own ally in conditionals or not but here it is.

pre:
Tarnen Kastanian
HP:     81/81 (THP: )    AC:   27    Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 4/4 (V:22)       For:  27    Passive Perception: 15
Initiative: +9   	 Ref:  22    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5   	         Will: 27    Vulnerabilities: Radiant 5
Vision: Normal
Melee Basic Attack: (Greatsword): 1d20+19 vs AC; 1d10+10 damage

Encounter                   Daily                     At Will
[ ]Second Wind              [ ]Bastion of Defense     [-]Rousing Assault
[ ]Ruthless Demonstration   [ ]Stand the Fallen       [-]Brash Assault
[ ]Dragon Breath            [ ]Force of Fellowship    [-]Mage Hand (Item)
[ ]Vengeance is Mine        [ ]Instant Planning       [-]Prestidigitation (Item)
[ ]Knight's Move            [ ]Dragonborn Zeal
[ ]No Gambit is Wasted      [ ]Dwarven Armor (Item)
[ ][ ]Inspiring Word        [ ]Wallwalkers (Item)
[ ]Rousing Words
[ ]Provoke Overextension
[ ]Flamebrow Assault
[ ]Blood Fury Greatsword

Conditionals:
*Dragonborn Fury: +1 Attack, +2 Damage while bloodied
*Enduring Soul: Regen 6 while bloodied, taking radiant damage suppresses it until end of next turn
*Sunlight Aversion: Ending my turn in full sunlight without heavy clothing/cloak deals 5 radiant damage and weakens me
*Dragonborn Zeal: +1 Attack after I use Second Wind
*Flamebrow Revival: +ChaMod to death saving throws and to any HP gained while dying.
*Bravura Presence: Any Ally who sees me and uses an Action Point and attacks can choose to use this feature; 
on hit they can either make a basic attack or a move action as a free action. On miss they grant Combat Advantage.
*Yakuza: When I hit an enemy granting Combat Advantage I gain +ChaMod bonus to Attack and Damage to OAs against that target.
*Martial Vampire: Once an encounter, hitting with an Encounter Exploit grants me a healing surge; 
first time I'm bloodied in an encounter I gain a healing surge I must spend during that encounter or I lose it.

ArkInBlack fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 24, 2014

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
I would like to point out that Kurieg rolled Vink's attack in my block, we both just managed to roll a 3 on hitting each other.

Meanwhile my actual weapon has an amazing track record on smashing things :v:

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
I think chasing Saidan's a mistake considering that at the start of combat he muttered something about stupid halflings, so he's probably a changeling as well.

Literally could be anyone in that crowd at this point.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
I was awkwardly dancing around the fact that eating someone elses healing surge gives me healing equal to my bloodied value, so if I could chew on someone's surge to pep me up that'd be rad.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Yeah sorry about that, let things slip a little too much. I agree we want to short rest for sure.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
I'm fine either way if we break or continue, and Ranger is fun (like pretty much every striker).

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Tarnen Wishlist: Belt of Righteous Blood (L13)
Any and All of the Battle Standards. All of them.
Ring of Fury (L14)

pre:
Tarnen Kastanian
HP:     86/86 (THP: )    AC:   27    Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 4/4 (V:23)       For:  27    Passive Perception: 15
Initiative: +9   	 Ref:  22    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5   	         Will: 27    Vulnerabilities: Radiant 5
Vision: Normal
Melee Basic Attack: (Greatsword): 1d20+19 vs AC; 1d10+10 damage

Encounter                   Daily                     At Will
[ ]Second Wind              [ ]Bastion of Defense     [-]Rousing Assault
[ ]Ruthless Demonstration   [ ]Stand the Fallen       [-]Brash Assault
[ ]Dragon Breath            [ ]Force of Fellowship    [-]Mage Hand (Item)
[ ]Vengeance is Mine        [ ]Instant Planning       [-]Prestidigitation (Item)
[ ]Knight's Move            [ ]Dragonborn Zeal
[ ]Headstrong Bravery      [ ]Dwarven Armor (Item)
[ ][ ][ ]Inspiring Word     [ ]Wallwalkers (Item)
[ ]Rousing Words
[ ]Provoke Overextension
[ ]Flamebrow Assault
[ ]Blood Fury Greatsword (Item)

Conditionals:
*Dragonborn Fury: +1 Attack, +2 Damage while bloodied
*Enduring Soul: Regen 6 while bloodied, taking radiant damage suppresses it until end of next turn
*Sunlight Aversion: Ending my turn in full sunlight without heavy clothing/cloak deals 5 radiant damage and weakens me
*Dragonborn Zeal: +1 Attack after I use Second Wind
*Flamebrow Revival: +ChaMod to death saving throws and to any HP gained while dying.
*Bravura Presence: Any Ally who sees me and uses an Action Point and attacks can choose to use this feature; 
on hit they can either make a basic attack or a move action as a free action. On miss they grant Combat Advantage.
*Yakuza: When I hit an enemy granting Combat Advantage I gain +ChaMod bonus to Attack and Damage to OAs against that target.
*Martial Vampire: Once an encounter, hitting with an Encounter Exploit grants me a healing surge; 
first time I'm bloodied in an encounter I gain a healing surge I must spend during that encounter or I lose it.
*Plagued Breath: Dragon Breath deals Necrotic damage as well, +2 damage with it while bloodied.

ArkInBlack fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 27, 2015

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
3pp, 34gp on my end.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Ring of Fury
:getin:

Can't wait to use this gonna own so hard.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Gonna take 1k of the gold as Tarnen's share and also pick up a Battle Standard of Might to begin my collection if there's no complaints from either side.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
5400 plus 5000 plus 2500 equals 12900, split 4 ways is 3225 each, so update your totals if you haven't already busted out the math y'all.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Actually Walker I think because Tarnen's adjacent to the gnome he's closer than Enna.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
I want to nova the ever loving poo poo out of the Werewolf Lord. Wahad, if you Iaijutsu down to U,7 I can Instant Planning everyone for a +5 to Hit, activate Blood Fury, charge in with Headstrong swinging at +28 to hit, which if it lands nets everyone else a +7 damage against him until my next turn. And then probably action point or something. Either way it'd be keen if you could Iaijutsu first so I know where everyone is when the dust settles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
I for one cannot wait to get dog piled and murdered.

• Locked thread