Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'll be posting something here later. Probably a psion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Malakhad, Kalashtar Psion Inspector

For generations, Malakhad's family had served the city of Sharn as members of the Watch. Malakhad himself stayed true to the family tradition, joining the Sharn Watch and serving with distinction for years. His psionically-enhanced talent for rooting out and apprehending perpetrators earned him many accolades and brought many criminals to justice.

But that was a long time ago. An airship accident years ago had left Malakhad seriously injured, and cost him his wife and young son. He never fully recovered physically, and his days as a beat cop were over. The Watch transferred him to an administrative position, which let him continue to work on the most puzzling cases while coordinating the junior watchmen who handled his old job. Malakhad was thankful for the Sharn Watch's continued trust in him, but he was never really happy behind a desk.

Something about the airship crash had never felt right. Even though it had been ruled an accident, Malakhad's intuition told him that foul play had been involved. In his experience, elemental rings didn't simply fail the way this one did. He'd made quite a few enemies and he was the only person aboard at the time who came anywhere near VIP status. Unfortunately, by the time he was in any condition to look into the incident any evidence of wrongdoing was already gone.

In the years that followed, Malakhad spent long nights digging through the Sharn Watch's archives in the hopes of turning up something that he could link to the crash. Sometimes he felt that only his faith in il-Yannah kept his obsession from turning into madness as he turned up one dead end after another. Then, suddenly, it all fell into place. Shortly before the crash, he had broken up several criminal gangs in Cliffside and Dura that had seemed unrelated at the time. After painstakingly following the trail of shell companies that owned the warehouses they used as hideouts though, he found that they were all ultimately owned by one person: Adoros d'Sivis, a gnomish merchant and bookkeeper of some repute. This evidence should have been uncovered soon after the incident, but many of the Watch's records were missing or falsified; he didn't suspect any fellow watchmen, but most of their documents went through House Sivis hands at one point or another. Had he been targeted for getting too close to uncovering a conspiracy?

That wasn't nearly enough justification by itself to go accusing an influential member of one of the Dragonmarked Houses. Luckily, a new opportunity soon presented itself. The Sharn Watch was organizing new group to deal with crimes that were too big for the regular watch to deal with before they became major public scandals. It took calling in every last favor he had, but Malakhad managed to secure a spot on the Advanced Tactics Squad. With the resources and freedom the ATS provided to him, Malakhad now had a new-found ability to dig deeper into the mystery that had hounded him for years, as well as the many other problems that were corrupting the city from within. And it would be good to take a direct role in dealing with criminals one more time.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 12, 2013

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Background added for my submission!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Heyo, thanks for the invite!

pre:
Malakhad  						 
HP: 64/64 (THP:  )       AC:   25    Passive Insight: 31
Surges: 7/7 (V:16)       For:  21    Passive Perception: 24
Initiative: +9** 	 Ref:  25    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6   	         Will: 28    Power Points: 6

At Will             	Encounter             	     Daily
Melee Basic Attack  	[ ]Cast Fortune	  	     [ ]Living Missile
Ranged Basic Attack 	[ ]Bastion of Mental Clarity [ ]Hypnotic Pulse
Dishearten	    	[ ]Distract                  [ ]Mind Blast
Betrayal	      	[ ]Send Thoughts             [ ]Healing Word
Force Grasp	        [ ]Intellect Fortress
                        [ ]Insightful Warning
                        [ ]Mind over Flesh
                        [ ]Prophecy of Doom

Item Power At Will      Encounter                    Daily
                        [ ]ESP Medallion             [ ]Staff of Psicraft
                                                     [ ]Orb of Stored Energy

Conditionals    
- Malakhad and allies within 5 squares can't be surprised
- Can spend one PP when rolling initiative to gain a +3 bonus
- Rolls initiative twice and uses the better result
- Save vs dazed, stunned, or dominated at the start of each turn instead of the end
- Ranged attacks don't provoke OAs
- Targets hit by a psychic power take -2 to their next attack roll
- When attacking vs Will, deal +2 damage and the target takes -1 to its first save against the attack's effect
- Two-way telephatic communication within 5 squares
- Rolls Perception twice and uses the better result

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 14, 2013

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Awesome. Also, you might want to put a line return in your sheet's entry for Cunning Sneak, it is long enough that it breaks the table for your posts.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Not sure if the telepathy can work as a relay, that'd probably be up to Kurieg. Usually short statements are a free action though so it probably wouldn't be a problem to pass something along unless you're trying to silently monologue to the rest of the party.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

For future reference: when auto-crit comes up, try using an attack that does 3W damage to the target (or more if Ovo feels like dropping an ungodly Rage Strike!). May as well make it count. :)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Doubling up on a "hit the deck!" power isn't a bad thing if we get into an AoE-heavy encounter. Being able to double move in a single action as a melee striker has its benefits too though, so your call.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well if you're going to split the party you may as well start early! :unsmigghh:

More seriously, I figured that combat encounters are unlikely at the previous crime scenes. But if we'd rather bring everybody along to meet the Grieving Father, that works too. :)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yep, to the Cogs we go.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Starting a fight while I'm out of town! :argh: If I am in the first block I'll try to post tonight, but Orokos is not very phone-friendly.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Don't suppose anybody has a way to give me a +1 or a reroll to that last attack as an interrupt? If not we get to see a live recreation of the bombing, so I guess it's a win either way. :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sorry, too late. :( I don't think fuller is gonna make it to his next action if Jerac lands a solid hit though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The thug you are standing next to will be if you shift down and to the left!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Central works for me.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Being able to read your mark's mind grants a circumstance bonus to Bluff checks, right? :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm not really sure what we're meant to do next. :shobon:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Clobbering a party member in a non-combat situation is probably the best use of Knockout I have seen.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm all for hitting the hideout. Can't let that book just sit around where any flamboyant guy can pick it up.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah, let's just continue on for now until the next point where it'd be sensible to bring a new player in.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Apparently I missed the call for wishlist items a while back :v:. An Accurate Staff of the Impregnable Mind and a Ring of Mental Power would both be swell.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm out of town, but I'll make an attempt at phone posting later. Either way, the drow is too far away fur me to throw a Force Grasp at so somebody else may want to stop him before he calls in reinforcements.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'll just keep the Accurate Staff of the Impregnable Mind and Ring of Mental Power on the wishlist.

New feat: Dominating Mind, to make it more likely that Hypnotic Pulse and Mind Blast stick. You know, assuming any of the attack rolls hit in the first place.

Skill retraining: Intimidate -> Diplomacy. I think the murdertrain has scaring people covered anyway.

Updated character sheet:

- Malakhad uses Insightful Warning as an immediate interrupt if affected by an area attack, or Bastion of Mental Clarity if it happens to be an attack vs Will
- Malakhad uses Intellect Fortress as an immediate interrupt if he's the sole target of an attack

pre:
Malakhad  						 
HP: 68/68 (THP:  )       AC:   26    Passive Insight: 32
Surges: 7/7 (V:17)       For:  22    Passive Perception: 25
Initiative: +10** 	 Ref:  26    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6   	         Will: 29    Power Points: 6/6

At Will             	Encounter             	     Daily
Melee Basic Attack  	[ ]Cast Fortune	  	     [ ]Living Missile
Ranged Basic Attack 	[ ]Bastion of Mental Clarity [ ]Hypnotic Pulse
Dishearten	    	[ ]Distract                  [ ]Mind Blast
Betrayal	      	[ ]Send Thoughts             [ ]Healing Word
Force Grasp	        [ ]Intellect Fortress        [ ]Good Omens
                        [ ]Insightful Warning
                        [ ]Mind over Flesh
                        [ ]Prophecy of Doom

Item Power At Will      Encounter                    Daily
                        [ ]ESP Medallion             [ ]Staff of Psicraft
                                                     [1]Orb of Stored Energy

Conditionals    
- Malakhad and allies within 5 squares can't be surprised
- Can spend one PP when rolling initiative to gain a +3 bonus
- Rolls initiative twice and uses the better result
- Gains an extra move action when spending an action point
- Save vs dazed, stunned, or dominated at the start of each turn instead of the end
- Ranged attacks don't provoke OAs
- Targets hit by a psychic power take -2 to their next attack roll
- When attacking vs Will, deal +3 damage and the target takes -1 to its first save against the attack's effect
- Targets of a daze, stunned, or dominate effect that a save can end take -2 to their first save.
- Two-way telephatic communication within 5 squares
- Rolls Perception twice and uses the better result

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

That is just about the mist destroyed I have ever seen a minion get.

OK, irc seems to totally hate me now. Did they change the address away from irc.synirc.net and I just didn't notice?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Crazy theory time! She "acquired" something valuable in a less-than-above board way, and contacted the ambassador because she saw him as a trusted fence for whatever it was (something his lord is after apparently). Somebody else found out about this and showed up first, possibly disguising themselves as the ambassador to convince her to open the warded container it was stored in. Once they had it, they killed her, then took the jewelry she was wearing and dragged the body out on stage in hopes of covering up the real crime.

Bonus points if it was a changeling disguised as the ambassador who killed her knowing that she'd be raised and immediately accuse the ambassador of the crime, which would potentially result in a political crisis!

:tinfoil:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I didn't think i could target myself with Prophecy of Doom. :downs:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Maybe walk away in slow motion while the vampire explodes behind you?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fixed. :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sorry, been a bit pre-occupied. I'll see if I can post something later, though I'm not sure yet just what that'll be.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Did we get an action point back at the end of the last encounter? This is important for nova purposes. :)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Damnit man you went and ran in before i could explode everything again. Your next round of attacks won't miss at least. :)

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 13, 2014

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I was waiting on Doomy but I can post tonight after work either way.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

:ohdear: Hopefully it won't be too serious.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Waiting to see if Jerac has an interrupt that will keep him up, or if Elizabeth has any healing left. If not I'll drop a Healing Word on him but it'll mean Mal will probably go down instead.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Aw :( Sorry to hear that Korlac, but good luck.

In that case, Mal will attempt to rescue himself when I get back from work even though it's a long shot. Would shifting inside the swarm still provoke the opportunity attack?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Darn. Well here's hoping Betrayal hits to remove at least one of the adjacent enemies because I don't think I can avoid having him go prone and bloody in this mess. :ohdear:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I predicted his every move. :smug:

(Dishearten spam may be boring but it's sure effective most of the time)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Unfortunately I have no more heals to have out. That Vink guy hurt!

But yeah, let's take these guys to the station if if seems unlikely that we can catch up to Saidan from here.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Just got out of surgery so I'll try to post more when I'm a bit more coherent :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah I'm all good, just getting some ear problems fixed. Just kind of out of it for a day or so.

• Locked thread