Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Hugh is the best character and hopefully our young Vincent will learn to cut loose and let all that snark as good old fashioned shonen yell fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Thunderfinger posted:

Wait, did you switch out the Snivy for the Mawile, or are you using both?

Chorocojo posted:

Yeah, funny thing about that. I might have given Snivy to a family on their way to Pennsylvania.

Just in case anyone else missed it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

But then GameFreak wouldn't be able to properly railroad you with HMs and "plot"! :downs:

Really, I don't think they'd be able to do something properly free-roaming like this on the DS or 3DS, and maybe not even on the Wii-U considering they've got to code animations for an increasingly absurd number of pokemon so by the time they're done with that they don't even want to make a game any more.

Cutting out the HM and Plot still leads wild pokemon pacing and trainer levels. Trainers would have to be level scaled and that means their exact moves and pokes are harder to design since they're in flux so it'd be harder to pin down how many trainers and what they have is appropriate for each stretch of the game. Same goes for Wild Pokemon and who shows up where and at what level. Generally speaking I'd much prefer a well paced linear pokemon game to some Open world Auto-Scaled bore.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

To be honest, I don't see why we can't follow the rails independent of the gyms, though. Maybe some players would be cool with leaving the gyms and the league to an "everything happens at the very end" rush. I don't know, maybe people (myself included) just expect too much out of a game about cartoon animal sports entertainment fighting.

Well I mean they could, but the Gyms kind of are used as both an XP boost (Much less of a problem in Gen 6) and as a sign post of how far you've come. It's a way of measuring your journey, and as that it's pretty okay and there's no real problem with it. I mean you're going to those towns anyway, if they don't just want to lock away 8 cities for post story poo poo, so why not have them be stops on the rail?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

What if I don't want to be the Champion at all. Maybe I just want to dress my Snorlax up in a top hat and become the very best Pokemon Coordinator.

Then you've got wrong opinions.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

What is wrong with Pikachu's head.

Anyway, liking the LP so far Red! Liking your creative way of doing the Pokedex entries this time.

That's the pikachu model they use for all the Pokemon Center merch and poo poo. I like to call him Beach Ball Pikachu.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Male Man posted:

So Pokemen?

Pekomen

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Roro posted:

That's only a problem in games where you can't breed Pokemon pre-Elite Four.

Or catch wild Eevees.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Chorocojo posted:

. . . It's the middle of winter.

. . . gently caress it I'll take a dozen.

This might be a bit anecdotal but I know a few people who own an ice cream store and they actually do better business in the Late Fall to Early Winter than any other point in the year. C'mon Vinny, keep an open mind.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Leafeon's evolution method still just bugs the hell out of me. Just let the Leaf Stone be usable on it. There's no reason not to other than the million goony fucks on the internet crying out "Well why couldn't it evolve back in Gen 1", smugbrows raised.

Um it's not the Goofy fucks fault except the ones working at Game Freak. They're kind of HUGE NERDS and sticklers for, lack of a better term, continuity and have invented like 5 new evolution stones and a bunch of new methods of evolution just to justify new evolutions for old pokemon instead of just using older stones that make thematic sense or older methods. They're kind of weirdos, those Game Freak Guys. They'd much rather staple on fixes/new stuff than change poo poo they've already done.

Also the Eevee evolutions are always 100% about showing off new mechanics. It's why Espeon and Umbreon evolve with Friendship AND Time of Day poo poo instead of Sun and Moon Stones. Glaceon and Leafeon are meant to showcase location based evolutions and Sylveon is meant to show off Pokemon-amie

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 6, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Playing defensively isn't really worth it against the AI. I mean, you can, it just makes battles take longer for no particular reason - the AI isn't smart enough for defensive strategies to pay off more than just berserking everything does. That's also why many defense/support mons are much less useful in-game than they are against other humans.

Hugh was right! Truly the trainer we needed!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

Wait, seriously? Wow, it really is two steps forward, one step back for pokemon.

There's still EXP scaling in Gen 6 AND even if there wasn't the new EXP Share system basically makes it pointless and outclasses the leveling system in Gen 5 easily.

Gen 6 is literally the best pokemon games ever w/r/t mechanics like that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Silegna posted:

Yes, Gen 6's Pseudo CAN evolve at level 50, but that's ONLY if it's raining when it reaches that level.

ANd not like, Rain Dance Rain. Like the area you level in has to be raining already.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Geostomp posted:

It has the best of all the new gym themes.

Oh the one that stole sounds suspiciously like that song from TWEWY. Yeah it's the best song because it sounds like something from The World Ends With You, which is the best game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TheMcD posted:

So it wasn't just me that thought it took a sample or two from Dancer In The Street. I wonder if those are in some sort of Nintendo-sponsored sample database or something.

Well TWEWY was a Square-Enix work so I doubt it's the database deal. And it's less a few samples than it is "that whole faux-voice line running in the background." Probably just coincidence though.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 6, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Thuryl posted:

Yantera, surely.

YanTERROR

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm still confused as to why she got glasses in this game if she didn't need them in the last one.

Eyesight can go bad over time. It's kind of a Thing that happens.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Someone wrote 'I'm about to unleash my rage,' turned it over in his mind, and seriously thought it would make a good catchphrase.

Nahm that's just Hugh. Literally everyone in the game treats him as a big spaz, so yeah the things he says are gonna be pretty..special!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

The problem is that, on the timeline, Emerald takes place like a decade before X/Y, which might discourage remakes.

Hoenn sequels, man.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Silegna posted:

Hell, I decided to give a try to get something with an illegal moveset. Aura Sphere on a Raikou. It worked, even though the Event one is the ONLY one who should have it.

If an event poke can get it it's not an illegal moveset. Try and give it like Draco Meteor or something.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

This is why nobody likes Hugh.

This is why I like Hugh. He's just so intense. He can't even help it. That's a kid with some deep seeded insecurities right there. 'I'm the pathetic Trainer who wasn't able to stop you.'

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Heroes of Justice should never fight each other.

Birds are truly mankind's enemy.

No bird has ever been a friend of Justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Chorocojo posted:

Yeah, two bros got into a fight over a broad and when they both showed up they had a little bit of a throwdown and long story short Zekrom bugged out after striking the two guys Camaros with lightning. Also Reshiram was there. Yeah I know it. Brought up on that story.

This might be the funniest thing in this LP. The accent just makes it.

• Locked thread