Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

saberwulf posted:

I have a spare moment, so I'll just push the time up.

Signups are closed! If you have an incomplete sheet or have not made one already, please do so by 9:00 PM EST tomorrow or I will not accept your application. I'll post who got in and then post the play thread that night or Tuesday morning, depending on my schedule.

Ahh, a mix of company and my own laziness ruined me here. I may finish my dude just for practice finishing a dude and put him in the replacement mix. Looking forward to seeing this one play out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Just a little elaboration on my connections, as I left them pretty vague on my character sheet:

1. While travelling alone you saved the life of a powerful abhuman brute from a mob of normal humans. Although unwilling to accompany you on your journey, he remains indebted to you.

On the Wandering Walk, Narot came across a particularly large Murden surrounded by humans. The humans were about the stone the Murden to death for causing headaches simply from passing by. Sympathetic to a creature, no matter how vile, who would be persecuted for its strange powers, he interceded on the Murden's behalf and managed to talk the humans down. Despite their shared telepathic powers communication was difficult, but the Murden seemed thankful. Even so, Narot expects nothing in return, Murdens are notorious betrayers.

I'm probably going to combine the second two into one connection. Assuming Friar John's okay with it, of course. I went with Bardakos because Narot's shtick is not having a clue why or how his powers work, so the illogicality of them connecting with the person who seems to have the least connection to the numenera seemed to make sense.

2. Despite attempting to avoid becoming involved, fate conspired to draw you into the events.

3. X is particularly mentally attuned to you, while in close proximity you are always in telepathic contact and they are immune to your psychic bursts.

Having heard about the rumours of a strange cult not too far away, Narot decided that staying in the area is the definition of a bad idea. On his way out of the main gate, he passes Bardakos and X*, and immediately enters into an unbidden two way psychic link with Bardakos. He can't leave now, this needs answers.

* I don't think it's been decided who Bardakos is guarding yet, has it?

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 19, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Elfface posted:

Ah, thanks very much!
Ok, my three connections are:

Jack: My older sister is a skilled nano, and though I was not able to follow in her path, the numenera are not unknown to me.
Nara's sister, Aris, is a little older than her and more studied in the stranger aspects of the numenera. After her injury, it was from Aris that Nara learned of possible numenera healing, and ultimately led to her fusion with machine.

Mechanincal: I need money to fund my studies.
Before adventuring, Nara was a tinker and mechanic, fixing anything from water pumps to numenera vehicles. She still does this, but her new abilities give plenty of opportunities for upgrades. Opportunities that need money and raw materials.

Fuses Flesh and Steel: Vance knows secret commands, capable of many things, such as shutting Nara down for ten minutes.
No matter how many mirrors you set up, there are some tasks a cyborg just can't do on her own. Mostly brain/programming issues, or the circuits that connect to it. Nara has previously had Vance help her with this, as he Talks To Machines, which has led to him learning some command words.

The final section is assuming Okavsi is OK with it too, but I thought it fitted well. Either that or select Custo, saying they have some components in common.

I'm fine with this.

As for my own connections:

- From afar, Vance observed that something interesting was going on. (Clever)
--A good setup for this connection would be Vance running into either Nara or Custo, or both, in either his patron's shop or while out running errands. Vance would be pretty interested in cyborgs and androids.

- Vance knows a local merchant very well. Since he gives them so much business,
they offer him discounts and special treatment. (Nano)
--This would be the merchant that that Vance has been working for. I'll let Saberwulf come up with the details or assign some merchant NPC from the adventure into this role.

- _____ seems to have a terrible relationship with machines - or at least the machines that you communicate with. If they are next to a machine that you interact with in a friendly manner, that machine is treated in all ways as being one level lower than normal (unless doing so benefits you or them, in which case the level does not change) (Talks to machines)
--This is open, but I'd suggest Bardakos if Friar John is OK with it. Mainly because the rest of the party is pretty technology heavy between three nanos and a mechanical jack and I wouldn't want to make other peoples stuff work worse.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 20, 2013

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
I'm fine with either/both of those suggestions for Bardakos. So who wants to have saved his life, and who wants him to guard them?

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
Whoa, sorry about the lateness! Something came up. Thread will be posted in a bit.

CottonWolf posted:

Cool. Thanks! Also, as well as intra-party connections, what's going to happen with oddities and cyphers? Will you just stick our allocations in the opening post of the play thread?

Bingo.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Thread posted.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Were you lookin for the poo poo POST tag? I can fix that if you like.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Winson_Paine posted:

Were you lookin for the poo poo POST tag? I can fix that if you like.

That'd be much appreciated, thanks! I knew I forgot something when I pressed post. Sci-Fi tag is fine if you wouldn't mind.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Friar John posted:

I'm fine with either/both of those suggestions for Bardakos. So who wants to have saved his life, and who wants him to guard them?

I'll take saving his life/protecting him from harm. Seems a little implied by your first post in the game thread. How about she saved him from some sort of mechanical trap, or device about to go haywire? Actually, it could be his force-belt. She saw him trying to work out what it was, reached out and turned it away from his face just prior to it activating?

Also, I think I'm supposed to have two oddities? Unless that was a mistake.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Elfface posted:

Also, I think I'm supposed to have two oddities? Unless that was a mistake.

Ah, that's my mistake. I'll add a second one to your list in the play thread.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Thanks. also, should I put my sheet in the game thread? I figured with the links, it wasn't really needed, but since everyone else is...

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Elfface posted:

Thanks. also, should I put my sheet in the game thread? I figured with the links, it wasn't really needed, but since everyone else is...

I put mine in the game thread since that's how i usually do it. Also linked it in all my titles and stuff, should make for easy checking up on it.
Also a quick question, Do you want us to roll dice for checks and such? since it appears that all we need is a d20 for that.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 20, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AzMiLion posted:

I put mine in the game thread since that's how i usually do it. Also linked it in all my titles and stuff, should make for easy checking up on it.
Also a quick question, Do you want us to roll dice for checks and such? since it appears that all we need is a d20 for that.

Yeah. I was going to just link back to that character sheet in every post, and keep it up to date. Unless we're meant to store character sheets externally somewhere?

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

AzMiLion posted:

Yes, Numenera always has players roll. And even if it didn't, I prefer players to roll for their own things as it speeds up PbP. Personally I use Orokos for PbP rolling, though Random.org is acceptable too.

Also, you may see my reply to a roll being more beneficial than the number would suggest. I prefer to fudge or even completely throw out rolls if getting a crap throw would serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever. Keeps the game running better and help everyone have fun.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Okasvi, You okay with me putting Vance down as the one who thinks that Custo is a supernatural/divine being?

I asked in the game thread but you didn't respond. Anyone else want to be thinking ths about Custo in case Vance doesn't want to?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Sadly, it's the exact opposite thing Nara would expect from the Numenera.

I would suggest Vance thinks Bardakos has a terrible relationship with machines though. After that kick, Nara would agree.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Custo, the Customer service bot who is also great at getting blasted in the face by magic! Maybe i should have come out of hiding a bit earlier, but that might've ended with an axe in my face.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The perils of the unflappable robot butler. For all his stoicism, the universe will keep trying to get a raise out of him.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Custo the robot that can't physically care and Nara, expert thrower of bags.(go you!)

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Quick question, anyone bothered by the slang that Axe Manbeef's been using? I'm a big fan of Planescape, and the Ninth World is mentioned to have its own Cant, but I know some folks find it to be kind of dumb.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Cant's fine, as long as it's every now and again. Too much and it gets annoying/silly.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Yeah, it's fine. I don't mind it, appears to suit the Axe McGruff.

Now to carry on Custo's noble tradition to not be impressed by anything and attempting to be nice again, we ran out of bags to throw at them right?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

saberwulf posted:

Quick question, anyone bothered by the slang that Axe Manbeef's been using? I'm a big fan of Planescape, and the Ninth World is mentioned to have its own Cant, but I know some folks find it to be kind of dumb.

It's not worried me either.

AzMiLion posted:

Now to carry on Custo's noble tradition to not be impressed by anything and attempting to be nice again, we ran out of bags to throw at them right?

There are always more bags to throw!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm fine with it, though it's going to be just as confusing as the Planescape and Shadowrun stuff used to be until I've seen it a little more.

What I'm mostly concerned about is getting the mechanics wrong. I'm not sure when I should or shouldn't be rolling, how spending effort works etc.

and I am a little worried we've gone off the rails already. If asked later, I'm going to blame psychic influence from the Narthex.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Got it. Just wanted to throw the question out there.

Elfface posted:

What I'm mostly concerned about is getting the mechanics wrong. I'm not sure when I should or shouldn't be rolling, how spending effort works etc.

and I am a little worried we've gone off the rails already. If asked later, I'm going to blame psychic influence from the Narthex.

For the first one, send me an email and I can help you out with anything you need.

As for the second one, actually no! While I would like to speed it up just a smidge, you dudes are doing perfectly fine. I'm not going to railroad the party; I like seeing things play out dynamically. Though I of course am following a loose trail so to speak.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

saberwulf posted:

Got it. Just wanted to throw the question out there.

For the first one, send me an email and I can help you out with anything you need.

As for the second one, actually no! While I would like to speed it up just a smidge, you dudes are doing perfectly fine. I'm not going to railroad the party; I like seeing things play out dynamically. Though I of course am following a loose trail so to speak.

Speeding up as in post rates or actual actions from the party? I'm doing my best to keep us moving and acting on things. Good thing i remembered that Custo is somewhat wellknown. or this would've gone differently maybe. Enjoying the game a shitton by the way!

E: my proper gamepost will be somewhat later today, since I'm currently in class and such(Thursday is my slowpost day) Also, I'll be away this weekend but i'll try to sneak a post or two in.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

AzMiLion posted:

Speeding up as in post rates or actual actions from the party? I'm doing my best to keep us moving and acting on things. Good thing i remembered that Custo is somewhat wellknown. or this would've gone differently maybe. Enjoying the game a shitton by the way!

More in actions. I love having characters take in the environment, but I also don't want people to feel bored. Of course this doesn't mean you guys have to rush at all! Just want to mkae sure the pace is good for everyone.

Also thanks! I was afraid people might have been iffy on it. Seems actually reading the book's paying off this time for me.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

saberwulf posted:

Also thanks! I was afraid people might have been iffy on it. Seems actually reading the book's paying off this time for me.
Nah man, I love far-flung-future-fantasy, and this game scratches that itch pretty well. My only worry is that Bardakos is only good for hitting things (and taking hits), and that I'm a bit limited in terms of role-playing effectively. For example, with my last post, should I have rolled something like "discern truth" even though I've got no skill remotely like it?

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Friar John posted:

Nah man, I love far-flung-future-fantasy, and this game scratches that itch pretty well. My only worry is that Bardakos is only good for hitting things (and taking hits), and that I'm a bit limited in terms of role-playing effectively. For example, with my last post, should I have rolled something like "discern truth" even though I've got no skill remotely like it?

I'm actually loving Bardakos so far! He already feels like a keystone to the party, and it's really cool to see a character that kind of embodies 'actions speak louder than words'.

While you could have rolled something akin to that, it's absolutely not necessary. It's a bit implied in the book but I'd like to take the idea further and mention it now so people can be prepared for future encounters— Almost all social interactions can be done without rolls in this. I've always put fluff and fun above rolls in my games, but particularly in this I'd like to emphasize it. I award good role-playing over stats, whether it be through words or actions. One person might go diceless and persuade a guard with a good argument to enter an area, while another would steal rope from a cargo pulley and swing from an adjacent building.

Seriously, experiment! I adore when players are creative. I remember a game I ran where the PCs were fighting a giant floating-head monster in a room with a giant magnet in the center. When tiles were stepped on, it charged the rock and all metal was thrown towards it. The players described getting into position and one running up, ramming a metal grappling hook through its eye to latch on to the skull before another hit the tiles. Needless to say it was so stupidly ingenious I went with it, and there was a giant skull laying on the floor shortly after. While there won't always be really out of the box solutions to problems, I encourage players to test me. The most memorable games are the craziest.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Friar John posted:

Bardakos is a great character. Really balances out the party and has had some great interactions so far. Bardakos and Custo both have a very defined personality, they're almost polar opposites. wich amkes from some great improvisation. Sorry i flunked on posting yesterday, got home at 12PM from college, then promptly flopped over asleep.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Sorry for being quiet for a while, I've been keeping up with the thread but Vance has pretty much agreed with everything the party has said and done thus far and I didn't want to blow the situation up into a fight or make a boring me too post where I just repeat what someone else has already said.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Both of those are perfectly fine. I never expect posting on holidays, anyway.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

saberwulf posted:

I love that everyone assumes the blasted billion AD wasteland has any form of law whatsoever.
Every institution has laws, be it a religious order, a trade guild, a city, or an empire. If there be civilization in the Ninth World, or commerce between cities (as the traders of Norou seem to suggest), then there must be laws recognized between polities as well, even something as simple as "Don't kill traders and take their stuff". Rather than an anarchy of no law, I can see it as being a battlefield of too many laws, from different sources. We're all adventurers, who has jurisdiction over us? Our homes (Norou for Bardakos)? The place we're at this moment? If we're part of some association of friends (which I suspect Bardakos was at some point, before being framed and leaving Norou)?

I studied medieval law in college, and I'm taking my cue of legal niceties from that, so sue me :v:

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Saberwulf, I hosed up in character creation, my intellect pool should top out at 17, not 16. This is because mssed a number when putting down my various bonusses and such. Mind if i change it over?
Don't have the time to confirm it in the rules but according to the numenera character creator can also top out at 17 http://www.prime-junta.net/numenera/index.html

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Sure! That's totally cool with me.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Whoa, sorry about the no update! I was swamped with stuff all day. I'll have a post up tomorrow afternoon.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

saberwulf posted:

Whoa, sorry about the no update! I was swamped with stuff all day. I'll have a post up tomorrow afternoon.

No worries, life happens. Thursday seems to be our slowposting day anyway. Was Custo's perspective on the musician enough? I didn't want to get too specific and railroad you :/

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

AzMiLion posted:

No worries, life happens. Thursday seems to be our slowposting day anyway. Was Custo's perspective on the musician enough? I didn't want to get too specific and railroad you :/

Nope, that was exactly what I was looking for! I can build off it pretty easily.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Won't have an update until late tonight, still recuperating from a fall yesterday evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

saberwulf posted:

Won't have an update until late tonight, still recuperating from a fall yesterday evening.

Oh, that sounds nasty. Don't feel the need to hurry back, take a few days off if you need to!

• Locked thread