Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Yes! If it's ok, I'll repost my character from the other recruit thread. Let me know if there're any glaring problems, as I've no idea what might constitute a bad combination.

pre:
I am a Tough Glaive who Masters Defense.
Bardakos the Quiet is a mountain of a man, and one who is always ready to stand between his charge and the many dangers of the Ninth World.
Though he only speaks of his past reluctantly, and only then in small pieces, a few common points seemed to come up: a merchant of the
city of Norou once employed him, but through the machinations of another (of whom Bardakos will not even speak the name) he was
dismissed in shame. It is unknown how long ago this was, for Bardakos rarely removes his helmet. His body, however, suggests a
long life of conflict and battle.
Now Bardakos has found another employer, and it remains to be seen how his skills fare in this new journey...
Links/Connections:
- You were the personal guard of a wealthy merchant who accused you of theft. You left her service in disgrace. (Glaive)
- You’re acting as a bodyguard for one of the other PCs. (Tough)
- Pick one other PC. This character protected you from harm recently, and you feel indebted to him for saving your life. (Masters Defense)

Tier 1
Effort 1

Pool/Edge
Might: 15/1
Speed: 12/0
Mind :  7/0

Skills:
Trained --
- Climbing
- Might defense actions
- Speed defense actions (w/ shield master)

Specialized --

Abilities
- Practiced in Armor
- Practiced with All Weapons
- Resilient (+1 Armor)
- Healthy (add 1 to points regained in Recovery)
- Shield Master (can act as trained in Spd defense, but attacks at +1 difficulty)

Fighting Moves
- Bash (1 Might)
- Thrust (1 Might)

Cyphers 2/2
- GM choice
- GM choice

Oddity 1/1
- GM choice

Starting Equipment
- Clothing (glaive)
- Explorer's Pack (glaive)
- Chainmail Hauberk (2 armor)
- 1 broadsword, 1 shield (glaive)
- 1 shield (masters defense)
- 1 rapier (tough)
- 1 shield (masters defense)
- 5 shins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

saberwulf posted:

I expected there'd be an influx of people who don't get into Sarx's game, so reposting's perfectly fine with me! Bardakos is looking good, hope to see more characters soon.
Yeah, I kind of wonder what's going on with the Beale thread. But I'm just hoping my plan of stocking up on all the armor I can to become a veritable tank isn't a prima facie dumb idea the way the rules work :v:

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Awesome. How do you want us to do the intra-party background stuff?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine with either/both of those suggestions for Bardakos. So who wants to have saved his life, and who wants him to guard them?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Cant's fine, as long as it's every now and again. Too much and it gets annoying/silly.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

saberwulf posted:

Also thanks! I was afraid people might have been iffy on it. Seems actually reading the book's paying off this time for me.
Nah man, I love far-flung-future-fantasy, and this game scratches that itch pretty well. My only worry is that Bardakos is only good for hitting things (and taking hits), and that I'm a bit limited in terms of role-playing effectively. For example, with my last post, should I have rolled something like "discern truth" even though I've got no skill remotely like it?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

saberwulf posted:

I love that everyone assumes the blasted billion AD wasteland has any form of law whatsoever.
Every institution has laws, be it a religious order, a trade guild, a city, or an empire. If there be civilization in the Ninth World, or commerce between cities (as the traders of Norou seem to suggest), then there must be laws recognized between polities as well, even something as simple as "Don't kill traders and take their stuff". Rather than an anarchy of no law, I can see it as being a battlefield of too many laws, from different sources. We're all adventurers, who has jurisdiction over us? Our homes (Norou for Bardakos)? The place we're at this moment? If we're part of some association of friends (which I suspect Bardakos was at some point, before being framed and leaving Norou)?

I studied medieval law in college, and I'm taking my cue of legal niceties from that, so sue me :v:

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Same here - my F5 button's gonna get busted before the game's over at this rate!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Yeah, the more we get into this the more I think the Ninth World owns bones.

So when are we gonna do some Panzer Dragoon poo poo? :v:

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

saberwulf posted:

Well, there's still a second part after the guff with Evanna and the Narthex is completed, but if you guys are receptive to it, I'm highly interested in continuing this group. I have more pre-mades, but I can already think of some original adventures to run the group through. But hey, only time will tell!
Yeah, but we'll see if the group doesn't kick Bardakos out after this one :v:

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

No worries, saberwulf. And just so everyone knows, I'm going to be taking a road trip from the 6th to the 11th, but I should have Wi-fi available, so I should be able to post, if not quite as fast.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Are we still waiting for someone?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

saberwulf posted:

Posted in the MIA thread about it, but not many people read that. I've come down with a cold and it's completely fried my brain. Sorry about the delay, I'll see if I can get my head working so I can update.
Aha, not a problem. I was just wondering!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

It should tell you how much we enjoy the game when we start jonesing for our fix after a day or two :v:

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

So who got that other XP point that Okasvi gave out to whoever had the least? Because I think a few of us are tied at 2.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

I'm happy to give up my claim to it. So I think that makes it yours. I think we were the only two on two.
Cool, I'll take it then. One more before I can upgrade something! Now I just need to think about what to upgrade...

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

If Vance gets that flying car I'm going to begin thinking hard about getting Bardakos some ranged weapon and skills with it. Flying deathmobile!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

saberwulf posted:

More of a "floats off the ground a few feet with the occasional dip when the engine freaks out" deathmobile, but hey, better than walking!
I have to admit that's far less intimidating, but still convenient. Also, I should still look at ways to get Bardakos a ranged weapon so he can do something that's not poking things with a sharp point.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

AzMiLion posted:

Find a high-power man portable winch and a spear? This would basically turn bardakos into scorpion from mortal kombat but I don't see a problem with that.
...Sheeeeeit I like the sound of that :v:

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

saberwulf posted:

Funnily enough, I've had a group kind of do that. Ran a pathfinder game with players exploring an old Dwarven hall, and in one room was a lodestone pillar that would violently magnetize if certain floor panels were stepped on. When a big floating head monster came out of a crypt in the wall, the players took the metal grappling hook, shoved it through the big ugly's eye and hooked it into his skull, and then the steel plate brute of the party stomped on a panel. Suffice to say, it was enough force and speed to tear the skull clean out of its face.
Guess you could say that Beholder... lost his head.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Hooray! :woop:

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

saberwulf posted:

Excuse me disappearing on the game for a week. My internet was out for a week. I'm back though, so replies should be incoming tonight!
That's what I like to hear!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Free the update, Saberwulf! It wants to be free! :v:

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Who are we waiting on still? Vance? Are you going to do anything or just hang out while we figure stuff out?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Wo ist der post, saberwulf?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

AzMiLion posted:

saberwulf, you still alive?

this game is too good to die young :(
Seconded seconded seconded!

I'm still pumped to explore the Ninth World!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

I am still pumped! I almost lost hope, but Bardakos still has plenty of life left in him.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Hell yes. I might rejigger Bardakos' focus, if that's ok though - I think Stands Like a Bastion might fit better, but I gotta compare it to Masters Defense some more.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

With the 3 XP I have, that bumps me up to 8. I'll buy some advances when we start up again. And woops, you're right, I should only have 2, from Masters Defense and from the Glaive's starting gear. Although, I've got all this gear I thought I'd use but haven't, any chance I might trade them in for some shins soon enough? I was expecting a few more "gently caress you, your shield's destroyed"-like events by now :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

saberwulf posted:

And post is up! Let's all toast some marshmallows on Vance's frying brain.
There will actually be a small event between now and the Narthex (a much short period than you think) that will include some diverse trading options, so yes.
Man, I hope there are smores in the Ninth World.

And awesome. I'm thinking I should probably swing for some kind of ranged weapon, just so I'm not useless beyond melee.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you guys are interested (I know Saberwulf saw it), I made an IRC channel for Numenera discussion. Feel free to drop in!

Friar John fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 31, 2014

• Locked thread