Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

They found it decades ago, sitting there beneath the trees. Cold and metal it stood, monolithic in the amber leaves of autumn. The Temple had formed from thin air, and through its doors they found chambers filled with the strange machines of old worlds. But the greatest of was The Vortex, a swirling pool of energy powering the structure and giving life to the Numenera within. They came to worship it, calling themselves The Monastic Order of Narthex, and their numbers grew many. But that was years ago and even the elders will tell you they're just a footnote of the past.

And then she came. Yellow robes torn and tattered, stumbling into town and pleading for help. She spoke of her escape from captors and her still trapped brother. He was being kept in a temple, she said, where strange people worshiped a great vortex swirling with the energy of worlds past.

---

Info

Despite Numenera's release, there's almost no games being run on the forum for it. It's a breathtaking setting, so I've decided to change that and run my own. This will follow a modified version of Vortex, an adventure used to show the game off at GenCon 2013. I've never GM'ed Numenera before, but hopefully we'll all get into the groove of things quickly enough!

I'm looking for 4-5 players, first tier. Recruitment will be closed in one week's time, Sunday November 17th.

(If you don't have the Numenera corebook, or just have questions to ask, just post in this thread or PM me and I'll help you out. Alternatively you can check out the Numenera thread in TradGames for additional help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

I expected there'd be an influx of people who don't get into Sarx's game, so reposting's perfectly fine with me! Bardakos is looking good, hope to see more characters soon.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Elfface posted:

The other thread has been on hold for a bit. I'll need a hand with creation as I don't have the book, so far I just have a concept and backstory, and the first sentence.

Sure thing. Just post your email in the thread and I'll help you out with it.

Motley posted:

Alright, I'm interested in this, BUT I am new to PBP games and role playing games in general. So if I should stay out of this I understand. If newbies are welcome, can anyone point me to some resources so I can begin to understand how this works and so I can create a character in the correct manner.

Well you can purchase the player's guide for $8 here, or post your email and I'll help you out.

Dedman Walkin posted:

Quick question - for The Strange kickstarter, one of the updates (I don't think it's backer only) talks about a new descriptor that The Strange and Numenera can use - Lucky. Can I try that out? Let me know, I'll edit to something else if it's a no-go.

It's perfectly fine with me. Though remember that it's extra work on your part with an additional pool.

Okasvi posted:

Also, If it matters, I might be partially spoiled in regards to the adventure depending on how modified it is, since I've partially watched the numenera LP in this thread. Though I'll ofcourse try to avoid metagaming if I get in.

Don't worry about it— That doesn't disqualify you. Though remember, I'll be watching.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Elfface posted:

Any suggestions?

The minor's fine. I like the idea of the scavenging on the major, so here's a suggestion. Cut out the recovery aspect of it and it should be fine. This could tie into advancing tiers, as the suit would probably deem itself ready for upgrade at some point in time, and do freaky poo poo where it tears up Numenera and rebuilds the suit.

AzMiLion posted:

I don't have the book for this but it looks pretty interesting.

Sending an email out now.

Winson_Paine posted:

I am a CHARMING GLAIVE who MURDERS, I think. Dude on the way soon.

Can't wait to see it! You make pretty awesome characters.

So far we're getting some great entries! Might have to close recruitment early if it keeps up.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

I am tempted to make something, likely a glaive. But one of my ideas seems like it could be a bad idea, not only does its ability only come in to effect like 5 days a month but also makes it liable to attack all but one of his allies.

Yeah, Howls At the Moon is kind of weird. I'm totally cool with home-brewing stuff however, so if you still want to use it just change the mechanic (hulk mode, button-activated temporal swap out, etc.) and most likely I'll be cool with what you come up with.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

If you get trained in a skill twice it upgrades to specialized.

Saberwulf I am not sure how one would go about changing the Howl at the Moon focus. It is designed such that it starts out uncontrolled being usable only for 1 hour a night for 5 nights. Then later levels add the option to make a check to change on purpose, reducing the difficulty of the roll to change and eventually no longer needing to roll to change.

If it was reworked to be at will or something then half or more of the later tier abilities would need to be reworked. That said I might just switch from Howl and the Moon to Rages.

Well Vortex only carries players through to the second Tier. But I totally understand and I'm cool with anything. Remember that I'm always available for PM and email as well if you ever want to break things down and re-work them.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

I have a spare moment, so I'll just push the time up.

Signups are closed! If you have an incomplete sheet or have not made one already, please do so by 9:00 PM EST tomorrow or I will not accept your application. I'll post who got in and then post the play thread that night or Tuesday morning, depending on my schedule.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

:siren:--RESULTS--:siren:

Bardakos, Tough Glaive who Masters Defense - Friar John

Custo, Mechanical Nano who Works Miracles - AzMiLion

Nara, Mechanical Jack who Fuses Flesh and Steel - Elfface

Narot, Doomed Nano who Commands Mental Powers - CottonWolf

Vance, Clever Nano who Talks to Machines - Okavsi

----

I'll tell you, this was some of the hardest choices I've made since Dungeon Attack! Thank you all for the wonderful applications, and sorry if you didn't get in. For those who did, the play thread will be posted tomorrow.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Whoa, sorry about the lateness! Something came up. Thread will be posted in a bit.

CottonWolf posted:

Cool. Thanks! Also, as well as intra-party connections, what's going to happen with oddities and cyphers? Will you just stick our allocations in the opening post of the play thread?

Bingo.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Thread posted.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Winson_Paine posted:

Were you lookin for the poo poo POST tag? I can fix that if you like.

That'd be much appreciated, thanks! I knew I forgot something when I pressed post. Sci-Fi tag is fine if you wouldn't mind.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Elfface posted:

Also, I think I'm supposed to have two oddities? Unless that was a mistake.

Ah, that's my mistake. I'll add a second one to your list in the play thread.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

AzMiLion posted:

Also a quick question, Do you want us to roll dice for checks and such? since it appears that all we need is a d20 for that.

Yes, Numenera always has players roll. And even if it didn't, I prefer players to roll for their own things as it speeds up PbP. Personally I use Orokos for PbP rolling, though Random.org is acceptable too.

Also, you may see my reply to a roll being more beneficial than the number would suggest. I prefer to fudge or even completely throw out rolls if getting a crap throw would serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever. Keeps the game running better and help everyone have fun.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Quick question, anyone bothered by the slang that Axe Manbeef's been using? I'm a big fan of Planescape, and the Ninth World is mentioned to have its own Cant, but I know some folks find it to be kind of dumb.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Got it. Just wanted to throw the question out there.

Elfface posted:

What I'm mostly concerned about is getting the mechanics wrong. I'm not sure when I should or shouldn't be rolling, how spending effort works etc.

and I am a little worried we've gone off the rails already. If asked later, I'm going to blame psychic influence from the Narthex.

For the first one, send me an email and I can help you out with anything you need.

As for the second one, actually no! While I would like to speed it up just a smidge, you dudes are doing perfectly fine. I'm not going to railroad the party; I like seeing things play out dynamically. Though I of course am following a loose trail so to speak.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

AzMiLion posted:

Speeding up as in post rates or actual actions from the party? I'm doing my best to keep us moving and acting on things. Good thing i remembered that Custo is somewhat wellknown. or this would've gone differently maybe. Enjoying the game a shitton by the way!

More in actions. I love having characters take in the environment, but I also don't want people to feel bored. Of course this doesn't mean you guys have to rush at all! Just want to mkae sure the pace is good for everyone.

Also thanks! I was afraid people might have been iffy on it. Seems actually reading the book's paying off this time for me.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Friar John posted:

Nah man, I love far-flung-future-fantasy, and this game scratches that itch pretty well. My only worry is that Bardakos is only good for hitting things (and taking hits), and that I'm a bit limited in terms of role-playing effectively. For example, with my last post, should I have rolled something like "discern truth" even though I've got no skill remotely like it?

I'm actually loving Bardakos so far! He already feels like a keystone to the party, and it's really cool to see a character that kind of embodies 'actions speak louder than words'.

While you could have rolled something akin to that, it's absolutely not necessary. It's a bit implied in the book but I'd like to take the idea further and mention it now so people can be prepared for future encounters— Almost all social interactions can be done without rolls in this. I've always put fluff and fun above rolls in my games, but particularly in this I'd like to emphasize it. I award good role-playing over stats, whether it be through words or actions. One person might go diceless and persuade a guard with a good argument to enter an area, while another would steal rope from a cargo pulley and swing from an adjacent building.

Seriously, experiment! I adore when players are creative. I remember a game I ran where the PCs were fighting a giant floating-head monster in a room with a giant magnet in the center. When tiles were stepped on, it charged the rock and all metal was thrown towards it. The players described getting into position and one running up, ramming a metal grappling hook through its eye to latch on to the skull before another hit the tiles. Needless to say it was so stupidly ingenious I went with it, and there was a giant skull laying on the floor shortly after. While there won't always be really out of the box solutions to problems, I encourage players to test me. The most memorable games are the craziest.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Both of those are perfectly fine. I never expect posting on holidays, anyway.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Sure! That's totally cool with me.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Whoa, sorry about the no update! I was swamped with stuff all day. I'll have a post up tomorrow afternoon.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

AzMiLion posted:

No worries, life happens. Thursday seems to be our slowposting day anyway. Was Custo's perspective on the musician enough? I didn't want to get too specific and railroad you :/

Nope, that was exactly what I was looking for! I can build off it pretty easily.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Won't have an update until late tonight, still recuperating from a fall yesterday evening.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

The Ninth World waits for no one! But for real, the doctor said it wasn't anything serious and I'm mostly just tired from waiting four goddamn hours at the hospital. I'll have an update posted in the next hour or so.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

I'm delighted that you guys have enjoyed it so far! Everyone here is absolutely EXCELLENT players and your characters are all a blast. Also AzMiLion, Custo's story was fantastic. I wasn't expecting the visuals nor the descriptions of the holograms, but going that extra mile guaranteed you charmed the pants off the whole alehouse.

I'll have an update posted in a bit.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Friar John posted:

So when are we gonna do some Panzer Dragoon poo poo? :v:

Well, there's still a second part after the guff with Evanna and the Narthex is completed, but if you guys are receptive to it, I'm highly interested in continuing this group. I have more pre-mades, but I can already think of some original adventures to run the group through. But hey, only time will tell!

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Yeah, that's cool with me. I imagine he's shielded somewhat, though if he enters deep enough water, or uses a lot of additional power, I'll call for periodic checks. I'll use GM's discretion on what constitutes both.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Excuse the lack of a post everyone, got my ears pierced and watched Desolation of Smaug in addition to rushing around all day, so I'm beat. I'll have a reply up tomorrow!

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Excuse my slowness in replying, I'm at the tail-end of the flu. Expect an update late tonight or very early in the morning.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

AzMiLion posted:

The current dreamposts are loving great. every single one of them.

I seriously have to agree. Absolutely fantastic posts from everyone!

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Friar John posted:

Are we still waiting for someone?

Posted in the MIA thread about it, but not many people read that. I've come down with a cold and it's completely fried my brain. Sorry about the delay, I'll see if I can get my head working so I can update.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Sorry about the delay! I actually didn't realize I hadn't posted in that long. Expect an update in a few hours.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

I have the post 3/4ths done, but something came up out of nowhere. It'll be posted in just over an hour!

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Won't have an update to Vortex until tonight. Hit a bit of a block at the moment, need to clear my head before I continue on the draft.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Friar John posted:

Flying deathmobile!

More of a "floats off the ground a few feet with the occasional dip when the engine freaks out" deathmobile, but hey, better than walking!

AzMiLion posted:

Hey saberwulf, your campaign might go off the rails hard f you let us have that car.

Don't worry, I have plenty of material up my sleeve (that doubles as future game fodder if unused) if the party goes off to do their own thing. In reality, the only actual "campaign" right now is that you show up at the Narthex in 9 days. Whatever happens in that gap is easily changed.

Also, I keep forgetting to mention this, but the Metron looks kind of like across between the Red Tail from Cowboy Bebop and the Aliens Loader but with a weird, bulky underside, the arms torn off and the glass blown out.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Funnily enough, I've had a group kind of do that. Ran a pathfinder game with players exploring an old Dwarven hall, and in one room was a lodestone pillar that would violently magnetize if certain floor panels were stepped on. When a big floating head monster came out of a crypt in the wall, the players took the metal grappling hook, shoved it through the big ugly's eye and hooked it into his skull, and then the steel plate brute of the party stomped on a panel. Suffice to say, it was enough force and speed to tear the skull clean out of its face.

I come from the 'put enough effort into it and poo poo, why not' school of GM'ing.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Sure. Just shoot me an email with anything you want to discuss and we'll go from there.

Note to all: Updating may be delayed. I'm ill again, and when I'm not stuck at food pantries I'm devoid of energy, mostly resembling the humble sea sponge.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

I'm out of the sudden death zone. Will have an update in a bit.

Edit: Writing the update now, just gonna be slow because I have to use a drat tablet.

saberwulf fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 12, 2014

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Will put out an update in the morning, just making sure all of my matters are running smooth.

By the way, if anyone wants a map of the area, I'll probably have one up in the next post. It'll be rough and not-to-scale, but should help orient everyone.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Excuse me disappearing on the game for a week. My internet was out for a week. I'm back though, so replies should be incoming tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

I'll let it out of that cage when I drat well please :argh:

But in all seriousness, I was just about to start my post. TIMING!

• Locked thread