Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The other thread has been on hold for a bit. I'll need a hand with creation as I don't have the book, so far I just have a concept and backstory, and the first sentence.

Ok, I've got what I need, mostly. A few things are still pending, but just the 'connections'. I think.

I am a Mechanical Jack who fuses flesh and steel.

quote:

Tier 1
Effort 1

Pool/Edge
Might 14/0
Speed 15/0
Mind 15/1

Links and Connections
Jack: My older sister is a skilled nano, and though I was not able to follow in her path, the numenera are not unknown to me.
-Nara's sister, Aris, is a little older than her and more studied in the stranger aspects of the numenera. After her injury, it was from Aris that Nara learned of possible numenera healing, and ultimately led to her fusion with machine.

Mechanincal: I need money to fund my studies.
-Before adventuring, Nara was a tinker and mechanic, fixing anything from water pumps to numenera vehicles. She still does this, but her new abilities give plenty of opportunities for upgrades. Opportunities that need money and raw materials.

Fuses Flesh and Steel: Vance knows secret commands, capable of many things, such as shutting Nara down for ten minutes.
-No matter how many mirrors you set up, there are some tasks a cyborg just can't do on her own. Mostly brain/programming issues, or the circuits that connect to it. Nara has previously had Vance help her with this, as he Talks To Machines, which has led to him learning some command words.

Skills:
Trained in mechanical building, repair and tinkering
Trained in understanding or identifying numenera

Flex Skill: At the beginning of each day, choose one task (other than attacks or defense) on which you will concentrate. For the rest of that day, you’re trained in that task. You can’t use this ability with a skill you’re already trained in to become specialized.

Abilities
Trained Without Armor: You are trained in Speed defense actions when not wearing armor. Enabler

Pierce (1 Speed point): This is a well-aimed, penetrating ranged attack. You make an attack and inflict 1 additional point of damage if your weapon has a sharp point. Action.

Sense “magic”: You can sense whether the numenera is active in situations where its presence is not obvious. You must study an object or location closely for a minute to get a feel for whether the touch of the ancients is at work.

Esotery: You can perform the esotery known as Hedge Magic when you have a free hand and can pay the Intellect point cost.

Hedge Magic (1 Intellect point): You can perform small tricks: temporarily change the color or basic appearance of a small object, cause small objects to float through the air, clean a small area, mend a broken object, prepare (but not create) food, and so on. You can’t use hedge magic to harm another creature or object. Action.

Inability: You have a manner or an aura that others find a bit unnerving. The difficulty of any task involving charm, persuasion, or deception is increased by one step.

Special Healing: Traditional healing skills, medicines, and techniques work only half as well for you. Each time you start at full health, the first 5 points of damage you take can never be healed in these ways or recovered normally. Instead, you must use repairing skills and abilities to restore those points. For example, if you start with a full Might Pool of 10 and take 8 points of damage, you can use recovery rolls to restore 3 points, but the remaining 5 points must be restored using repairing methods.

Minor Cybernetic Effect
Hybrid energy source: Spend a point of Might to ignore a lack of food, water or sleep for one day, or a lack of air for one hour, as cybernetics draw on additional power supplies to compensate.

Major Cybernetic Effect
Salvaged upgrades: Using the leftover parts from a disabled or damaged (But not destroyed) machine or mechanical enemy, gain the use of a minor ability based on the function of the salvaged machine. This minor ability is available until replaced by a different salvaged ability.

SALVAGED UPGRADE: Broadcast Blast (2 Intellect): On a successful roll, target is assaulted with television and radio signals from across space-time. Target is stunned for 2 turns and can take no action.

Equipment

An open vest, several toolbelts and a waist-sash, over a matte-black plastic-like bodysuit, parts of which are actually cybernetic shell. Exactly which parts is hard to tell.

Forearm Blade (Light)
Buzzer (Light)
Nara was always in the habit of keeping some spare equipment up her sleeve, where it's always close to hand. These days, the hand comes off, and the equipment is even closer.

Leather jerkin (Unequipped)
Sometimes a girl needs a little extra protection, but mostly it's tight, uncomfortable and blocks the heat vents. You know, standard issues.

Explorer’s pack
Pack of light tools
Not so much carried as worn, sometimes even integrated.

Bag of mechanical parts
Spare wires, fuses, circuits and other more esoteric numenera-machine components, along with plenty of scrap to fix cosmetic damage. Also included are D-Cell field rations, and AA snacks.

Two cyphers
A deep blue pill in the shape of a brain (level 6): Once ingested, the user finds themselves with the sudden knowledge to defend against mental damage (trained in Intellect defense). Lasts 28 hours.

A flat, oblong crystal (level 3): When activated, adds 2 armor to whichever set of armor it is affixed. Lasts 28 hours.

Two oddities
Glass slab that creates light trails when your drag your fingers across it. Retains trails until shaken.

A wooden bowl that when filled with plain water, slowly colors any matter placed in it. Colors seem to be random.

0 shins.

----------------------------------------------------------

Nara was a tinker and a tinkerer by trade, travelling the Wandering Walk with a caravan of other trades too useful to do without, but too specialized to make a living in one place.

A bandit attack left her paralysed on one side, until she heard stories of a numanera that could heal wounds, in a de-powered ruin with broken machinery stopping the doors from opening. Perfect for her skillset.

Of course, things are never that simple. Repairing and restoring power to the doors also restored many of the ruin's defences, but Nara eventually made it to her prize.

It looked like a suit of armour when she put it on and charged it up, but when she regained consciousness, it was fitted much closer, like a second skin. In some places, such as her damaged limbs and more recent injuries, it was the only skin, a permanent part of her, new senses telling her about charge levels, mechanical stress and upcoming oil changes.

Nara still doesn't know what all of it does, but she's learning. The machine seems to be learning too, and instead of bugging Nara about an expired warranty and need for a service, it has begun identifying upgrade and repair components. With each injury it heals and each upgrade it applies, there's a little more of it, and a little less Nara. She's sure she's still herself though, who else would she be?

Elfface fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Works for me, I'm james416.jp at gmail.com

And thanks for the help, I've got most of the stuff sorted. I just need a little help with my Cybernetic abilities. No idea if the Minor ability is balanced, and the Major is missing some numbers, since I'm not sure what to plug in.

Any suggestions?

Elfface fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 12, 2013

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ok, edited and sorted. I guess I've still got those connections with other people to do, but since I don't know who the other people will be yet...

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Thanks for the pick!

I'm not sure what all the connections are to pick mine, but I'm ok with being inserted in to ones that imply I've done things, like bodyguard/protectee or old friends or whatever.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ah, thanks very much!
Ok, my three connections are:

Jack: My older sister is a skilled nano, and though I was not able to follow in her path, the numenera are not unknown to me.
Nara's sister, Aris, is a little older than her and more studied in the stranger aspects of the numenera. After her injury, it was from Aris that Nara learned of possible numenera healing, and ultimately led to her fusion with machine.

Mechanincal: I need money to fund my studies.
Before adventuring, Nara was a tinker and mechanic, fixing anything from water pumps to numenera vehicles. She still does this, but her new abilities give plenty of opportunities for upgrades. Opportunities that need money and raw materials.

Fuses Flesh and Steel: Vance knows secret commands, capable of many things, such as shutting Nara down for ten minutes.
No matter how many mirrors you set up, there are some tasks a cyborg just can't do on her own. Mostly brain/programming issues, or the circuits that connect to it. Nara has previously had Vance help her with this, as he Talks To Machines, which has led to him learning some command words.

The final section is assuming Okavsi is OK with it too, but I thought it fitted well. Either that or select Custo, saying they have some components in common.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Friar John posted:

I'm fine with either/both of those suggestions for Bardakos. So who wants to have saved his life, and who wants him to guard them?

I'll take saving his life/protecting him from harm. Seems a little implied by your first post in the game thread. How about she saved him from some sort of mechanical trap, or device about to go haywire? Actually, it could be his force-belt. She saw him trying to work out what it was, reached out and turned it away from his face just prior to it activating?

Also, I think I'm supposed to have two oddities? Unless that was a mistake.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Thanks. also, should I put my sheet in the game thread? I figured with the links, it wasn't really needed, but since everyone else is...

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Sadly, it's the exact opposite thing Nara would expect from the Numenera.

I would suggest Vance thinks Bardakos has a terrible relationship with machines though. After that kick, Nara would agree.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The perils of the unflappable robot butler. For all his stoicism, the universe will keep trying to get a raise out of him.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm fine with it, though it's going to be just as confusing as the Planescape and Shadowrun stuff used to be until I've seen it a little more.

What I'm mostly concerned about is getting the mechanics wrong. I'm not sure when I should or shouldn't be rolling, how spending effort works etc.

and I am a little worried we've gone off the rails already. If asked later, I'm going to blame psychic influence from the Narthex.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Much more finesse than Nara's 'Just don't breathe' approach, certainly.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm quite fond of them too. I decided to go for something a little more meaningful this time, though another night might just be

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
In my mind, that car dealer is...

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Get over here! Or not, I'll come to you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm really sorry I've been silent for the last week.

The short explanation: Internet troubles.

The long version, I had a week off work and decided to reformat my computer to try and fix it's internet issues. Unfortunately, I then couldn't find the drivers for it's wifi adapter, and without it couldn't connect to the net. I had to wait for payday to buy a new one.

I'll have a post soon.

• Locked thread