Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

I don't have the book for this but it looks pretty interesting.I have some ideas for a character(Butler bot stuck outta time), whilst i normally play mostly dungeon crawls and combat heavy games this would be an interesting change of pace.
my e-mail is azmilion@gmail.com my skype is azmilion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

If there are any major fuckups in here please do tell.

This is the Logo and text on the back of his jumpsuit, the striped through bits are scraped and damage, apparently done by Custo himself

quote:

I am a Mechanical nano who Works Miracles.

TO:<DATA LOST>
BODY:

Greetings Valued Custo<DATA LOST>
<DATA LOST>
Thank you for your Purchase!
-Cronodyne Industries

Custo
Finding two things in his memory upon booting, A set of coordinates and a message containing his name, Custo's first task was digging himself out of the dirt he was covered in and correcting the obvious error on his suit, what's a 502-A anyway? After this menial task was completed in only two whole cycles he set off for the coords in his memory.
Custo has an unassuming appearance, wearing a old janitors jumpsuit, untill you get close to him and the time he spent under the sand becomes apparent,
spots on his face where the sand has worn away the fleshy coating on his metal skin cause lines to run across his face and torso,
all leading to several connectors in all shapes and sizes on the back of his neck.
Custo has made his way to town by helping out in places he came by, healing or entertaining in exchange for knowledge and facts about the world, and of course occasionally running for his life. Dependng on the town you ask in he is either known as "Custo the Magnificent","Custo the Healer" or "Get the pitchforks lads!, let's break 'im up into parts!"

This place though? The people here seem uncaring about Custo and mostly ignore him. Custo likes it though, with the coords he has pointing to the town itself.

Links/Connections
1) Upon rebooting the only coordinates in my databanks were this town(M/M)[Signs/portents/dream]
2) I hail from a distant place where i was well known and regarded, but the people here treat me with suspicion(Nano)
3) Vance quietly suspects me to be a messiah,supernatural being or something else entirely.(Miracles)

Tier 1
Effort 1

XP expenditure log
Tier 1
-4 Stat Points(3 Intellect, 1 Might)
-
-
-

Pool/Edge
Might 9 0
Speed 11 0
Intellect 20 1

Skills:
Trained
-

Specialized
-identifying and understanding the numenera, Being a walking talking piece of old-world tech has it's advantages. Custo is more knowledgable on the Numenera than most adventurers on the 9th world.

Abilities
-Practiced with Light Weapons
-Numenera Training
-Sense "Magic"
-Esoteries(Some people call it magic. Custo calls it his offensive and entertainment protocolls. weither he is slicing reality and minds, or performing cheap party tricks.)
--Ward(+1 armor)
--Onslaught
--Hedge Magic
-Inability(Being a Synthetic Human has it's advantages, in that food isn't something you require that often.
The downside of it is that once the paint starts to rub off your appearance becomes quite unsettling with the whole bits of metal exposed all over your body thing.)

Customer aid unit 502-A Extra components
-Wireless Module, 15ft of reliable range, cuts out at 20ft. Wired mode available.
--Compatible Users: Nara
-Waterproof Warding system
--Custo is waterproof up untill a certain depth, tasks that require effort require extra difficulty rolls. Water may be to deep and a hazard roll might happen.(GM Discretion)

Esotery
-Onslaught
--Forceray (1 int, 4 damage)
--Mindslice(1 int, 2 int damage)
-Hedge Magic(1 int)
-Ward (+1 Armor)

Miracles
-Healing Touch (1 int, 1d6 heal)

Cyphers 3/3
-Metal wristband with glowing symbols and front slot (level 7): The only feature that seems to work on this thing is the last button, which shoots a disc of light that explodes on impact, blinding all in the immediate radius for one minute.
-Synth rectangle with clamps (level 4): When affixed to a weapon it imbues each hit with a burst of flame (+2 damage). Lasts 28 hours.
-Thin metal card (level 4): When slotted into your frame, your servo processes increase greatly. Gain 1 Speed edge for an hour.

Oddity 2/2
-A small, round robot with two arms and a display with a simple face. Putters around collecting small pieces of refuse and collecting them in an internal compactor.
-A purple octagon of shiny metal. Speaks in a thousand unintelligible whispers when exposed to sunlight. - Currently on loan to a healer in Jutte.

Equipment
-Clothing(Cronodyne Branded Jumpsuit with easy access for vent holes, Cronodyne standard issue working boots.)
-Fore-arm Blade(light), Always having a need for a self-defence tool, this blade is a folding model, when not in use it's neatly hidden under his jumpsuit, only those who know it's there would be able to spot it.
-A book about the numenera
-12 Shins

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 20, 2014

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

saberwulf, I updated my sheet abit but have a question, as far as i can tell i get the knowledge about the numera skill twice. Can we change that out for something?(gear/other ability/whatever) I also worked on his background and disability a bit since i wasn't entirely happy about it.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Updated Custo, again.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Awesome!

Looking forward to this, lot's of busy fornthe next weeks but daily posting will happen, there might be a phonepost every now and then but i'll keep up with the thread. Custo was a silly idea on my end that ended up turning into something better than the original concept. As for the inter-party stuff, do we work that out amongst ourselves? I have a couple of ideas as to whom could think custo is supernatural.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Elfface posted:

Thanks. also, should I put my sheet in the game thread? I figured with the links, it wasn't really needed, but since everyone else is...

I put mine in the game thread since that's how i usually do it. Also linked it in all my titles and stuff, should make for easy checking up on it.
Also a quick question, Do you want us to roll dice for checks and such? since it appears that all we need is a d20 for that.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 20, 2013

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Okasvi, You okay with me putting Vance down as the one who thinks that Custo is a supernatural/divine being?

I asked in the game thread but you didn't respond. Anyone else want to be thinking ths about Custo in case Vance doesn't want to?

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Custo, the Customer service bot who is also great at getting blasted in the face by magic! Maybe i should have come out of hiding a bit earlier, but that might've ended with an axe in my face.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Custo the robot that can't physically care and Nara, expert thrower of bags.(go you!)

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Yeah, it's fine. I don't mind it, appears to suit the Axe McGruff.

Now to carry on Custo's noble tradition to not be impressed by anything and attempting to be nice again, we ran out of bags to throw at them right?

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

saberwulf posted:

Got it. Just wanted to throw the question out there.

For the first one, send me an email and I can help you out with anything you need.

As for the second one, actually no! While I would like to speed it up just a smidge, you dudes are doing perfectly fine. I'm not going to railroad the party; I like seeing things play out dynamically. Though I of course am following a loose trail so to speak.

Speeding up as in post rates or actual actions from the party? I'm doing my best to keep us moving and acting on things. Good thing i remembered that Custo is somewhat wellknown. or this would've gone differently maybe. Enjoying the game a shitton by the way!

E: my proper gamepost will be somewhat later today, since I'm currently in class and such(Thursday is my slowpost day) Also, I'll be away this weekend but i'll try to sneak a post or two in.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Friar John posted:

Nah man, I love far-flung-future-fantasy, and this game scratches that itch pretty well. My only worry is that Bardakos is only good for hitting things (and taking hits), and that I'm a bit limited in terms of role-playing effectively. For example, with my last post, should I have rolled something like "discern truth" even though I've got no skill remotely like it?

Bardakos is a great character. Really balances out the party and has had some great interactions so far. Bardakos and Custo both have a very defined personality, they're almost polar opposites. wich amkes from some great improvisation. Sorry i flunked on posting yesterday, got home at 12PM from college, then promptly flopped over asleep.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Saberwulf, I hosed up in character creation, my intellect pool should top out at 17, not 16. This is because mssed a number when putting down my various bonusses and such. Mind if i change it over?
Don't have the time to confirm it in the rules but according to the numenera character creator can also top out at 17 http://www.prime-junta.net/numenera/index.html

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

saberwulf posted:

Whoa, sorry about the no update! I was swamped with stuff all day. I'll have a post up tomorrow afternoon.

No worries, life happens. Thursday seems to be our slowposting day anyway. Was Custo's perspective on the musician enough? I didn't want to get too specific and railroad you :/

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

CottonWolf posted:

Oh, that sounds nasty. Don't feel the need to hurry back, take a few days off if you need to!

Indeed, personal health is more important than internet people. Get well dude, hope gravity didn't kick your rear end too bad.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Just chiming in here to say that i've been enjoying the story inmensely so far to the point that i check the thread an unhealthy amount. I hooe Custo has been fun to DM for as well since i have been making some stuff up on the fly and this is the first time i've actually played a character and game this wordsy, that tale took me like an hour and i only just noticed it all somewhat rhymes :haw: , sorry if custo is going a bit overvoard on the visual aspects of it. He is just so drat happy to be performing again with his first friend graddus

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

saberwulf, I've been enjoying the hell out of the game so far. The Whispering lurker thing that happened was not what i expected to happen at all. Also love the fact that Custo has had a bunch of development and background being expanded on by both of us since i get the feeling we have the same general direction to take him in.

For my question, since Custo is a synth, can i have him walk in the lake after Nara? He basically runs off of some form of battery and has spent ridiculous amounts of time underground without oxygen so in my mind he should be able to but if you're not OK with it i'll axe the post that i'm about to make in thread.

edit: if you want me too i could spend might or intelligence for either not breathing or managing energy processes whilst underwater.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

saberwulf posted:

Yeah, that's cool with me. I imagine he's shielded somewhat, though if he enters deep enough water, or uses a lot of additional power, I'll call for periodic checks. I'll use GM's discretion on what constitutes both.

Makes sense that stuff costs more power down there, I like to think of it as Custo using the Ward skill to keep out the water, so he's not so much actually getting wet, but pushing the water away from him.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Elfface posted:

Much more finesse than Nara's 'Just don't breathe' approach, certainly.

More technology mostly. and if you find a matching port on Custo it'd be even more technology. Would be funny to have some form of hardlink between Nara and Custo. If the tech advancement keeps up we'd be a party of mutes that speak to each other telepathically by the end of the adventure.

On a side note, I need to go and find me a bunch of sound effect youtube links, I spent half an hour looking for a single instance of a windows Stop/Critical error noise, couldn't find it. Would've gone in the post where Custo reboots. Maybe next time! since apparently everythng backfires on Custo lately, same thng goes for my other character in the other numenera game at the moment. He managed to flip/crash a cart and flee the crime scene. This was after somewhat annoying the caravan leader as well. Numenera with good DM's is fuckin great.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Should i add the fact that Custo is somewhat waterproof to my character sheet? Linking the post you explained the mechanics of the system in, Would make it easier for both of us to keep track of Custo's "Features".

Also, if this place ends up being related to Custo's history he might end up becoming Comrade Custo, Friend to all. in which case, you clever bastard.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Saberwulf, I took some liberties in the post i made, mostly about what custo sees and hears once he entered the datasphere. If you're not okay with that please say so and i'll stop doing that. Trying to gget across that custo's a bit disturbed by the things he saw at the lake, on the dish. And the memory thing is mostly related to his backstory stuff, not so much recent times. I also think we are roughly in line on what we both think custo was in the past but that might not be a discussion for this thread since it's supposed to be a big unknown for him as well.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

CottonWolf posted:

Just for the record, I'll be back from my relatives on the 2nd, so I'll be able to post regularly again from then. Hope everyone's having a good Christmas/New Year!

I'm having a good one so far, spending most of my time drunk and with friends. Shooting off some professional fireworks in two days so that should be great as well. A jet engine is involved as well i think.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

saberwulf posted:

Excuse my slowness in replying, I'm at the tail-end of the flu. Expect an update late tonight or very early in the morning.

No worries, personal health comes before internet adventures. At least everyone survived new years eve right? (even if i had a close call at one point, couple of 3 inch shells went off a bit too close for comfort due to a failed lift charge )

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

The current dreamposts are loving great. every single one of them.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Hmm, Shouldn't Custo be at 17/17 Intellect? since he rested last night?

Also spending 4 XP to buy the followng.
3 Intellect statpoints
1 Might Statpoint

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Saberwulf, You still alive?

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Friar John posted:

It should tell you how much we enjoy the game when we start jonesing for our fix after a day or two :v:

Yep, Numenera is a great system and saberwulf is a very entertaining DM.

I've been reading through the rules and stuff, seems there's a lot of potential for mutations and changing your character but nothing specifically for synth/robotic characters though. Should we eventually reach a campaign with flying dragons and that kinda stuff Imma start looking for a jetpack module for custo :D

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

We could have our very own Mystery Machine, solving cult riddles and mysteries!(with the occasional bout of violence!)

Hey saberwulf, your campaign might go off the rails hard f you let us have that car.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Friar John posted:

I have to admit that's far less intimidating, but still convenient. Also, I should still look at ways to get Bardakos a ranged weapon so he can do something that's not poking things with a sharp point.

Find a high-power man portable winch and a spear? This would basically turn bardakos into scorpion from mortal kombat but I don't see a problem with that.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

CottonWolf posted:

Or reverse it and go for some kind of spear-bungie cord combo. You throw it at them, hit them and get pulled into melee range to wreck poo poo up.

Oh god, we have the best ideas. Just wait untill we find wherever the hell Custo's from. definitely going to look for blueprints and weapon tech if we ever find that place. Maybe even find a upgraded body for Custo or Nara :haw:

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

saberwulf posted:

Funnily enough, I've had a group kind of do that. Ran a pathfinder game with players exploring an old Dwarven hall, and in one room was a lodestone pillar that would violently magnetize if certain floor panels were stepped on. When a big floating head monster came out of a crypt in the wall, the players took the metal grappling hook, shoved it through the big ugly's eye and hooked it into his skull, and then the steel plate brute of the party stomped on a panel. Suffice to say, it was enough force and speed to tear the skull clean out of its face.

I come from the 'put enough effort into it and poo poo, why not' school of GM'ing.

Takes me back to one of my DnD campaigns i was in as a player, long story short. 4 Character of wich 2 were sciency/tinkery types led to some interestnig modifications to the warforged partymember. Some features include but are not limited to a magical fold out sheld, a flamethrower, and wings. The thing was basically the V2 Gundam by that point.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

CottonWolf posted:

I'm off for a weekend away in Edinburgh, I'll try and get something in while I'm there, but I can't guarantee I'll be able to post again till Monday. Hopefully I'll be back just in time to be rescued from drowning by a flying car.

Worst case scenario Custo runs into the lake baywatch style and drags you out. Also, saberwulf. I have some questions about Custo and his internals, But that might be a better idea to do over e-mail? maybe?
Mostly due to the fact that he is a mechanical creature ish, without the mech tag. What would cause that and should Custo even have a clue about it at this point? He knows he's obviously not a Human but I don't know what he should think.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

I think it's a good sign that people are replying within hours of saberwulfs posting, shows how :f5: we are about this game. Still having a blast and thanks for the e-mail wulf, it answered most of my questions and opened up a bunch of new ones which will have to work themselves out IC. Just have a slightly better understanding of what Custo is exactly ish myself now. and the other thing will come into play soon I think.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Welp, I have to teach a bunch more hours than usual this week so my posts might be a bit ADD in content, will try to keep up with the thread.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Friar John posted:

Wo ist der post, saberwulf?

Ja, waar is ie?

This game is so good it's like a drug, and i need my fix.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

saberwulf, you still alive?

this game is too good to die young :(

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

LETS GO.

Custo still has science to do!

E: if we need replacement players i might know a guy. He's proficient with most systems, just gotta teach him numenera real quick.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

My body is ready.

I'm up for it is what i'm saying, let's hope some of the others jump in as well.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

I'm so loving excited. Vortex owns, because of all the science!

wulf, you still have that backstory/Custo mail thing? Would like to keep that plotline somewhat going.

VAAANCE!, now we just need Nara and the team is back together.

these should be all the sheets.

thread is here for those who no longer have it bookmarked.

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

saberwulf posted:

Okay, everyone seems to be coming who wants to come, so the game shall resume shortly. I've got a good chunk of a post written up but it'll sadly have to wait until the afternoon— I have to wake up in less than four hours and I need every ounce of sleep I can get. Expect datascapes, hallucinatory memories and most likely some fancy new loot when I get the post out. Trust me, it's going to be a weird welcome back.

If it ain't weird it ain't Vortex. :science:

• Locked thread