Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I've never done tried a PbP before, so I fully understand if you're wanting people with more experience than this, but I thought I'd make up a character anyway and we can see what happens. I can always use it for something else later! Obviously, feel free to point out anything you think needs changing.

pre:
Narot - A doomed nano who commands mental powers

Credit to the person who originally drew this and to google image search for finding it!

Narot grew up alone. Not by choice, but by necessity. It wasn't going to be like that, his family wasn't rich, but 
they weren't hurting for shins either. Pillars of the community. A perfectly normal life awaited him; an arranged 
marriage, stability. But then came that day. That incident, out hunting, the constant black void in his mind he cannot
reach no matter how hard he tries, made him less than invisible. Everyone, even his family, ignored him totally. Even
the throwing of a stone against one of them would not illicit response. The newfound ability to hear the whispering in
other peoples heads wasn't much of a consolation prize. An outcast, he fled, and so he has existed ever since, drifting
from one place to another. Since the day of his leaving his live has been nothing but a series of misfortunes and betrayals.
He believes he is hated by the universe itself and it is true that whatever he builds inevitably collapses hurting all those
around him. So he travels alone protected only by armour of pure cynicism. With few friends and fewer ties, he has been
reduced to moving along the trade routes of the Steadfast, stealing or doing odd jobs for what's needed to survive.

Origin of special powers:
Unknown (GM can secretly roll again and keep the result hidden)

Connections:
While travelling alone you saved the life of a powerful abhuman brute from a mob of normal humans. Although
unwilling to accompany you on your journey, he remains indebted to you.
Despite attempting to avoid becoming involved, fate conspired to draw you into the events.
X is particularly mentally attuned to you, while in close proximity you are always in telepathic contact and they
are immune to your psychic bursts.

Tier: 1
Effort: 1

Pool/Edge:
- Might: 8/0
- Speed: 12/0 
- Intellect: 16(17)/1

Skills:
- Numenera use and theory, Trained
- Perception related tasks, Trained
- Speed defence actions, Trained
- Resisting effects that rely on psychological shock, Trained
- Practiced with light weapons

Inability:
- Doomed - Every other time the GM uses GM intrusion on your character, you cannot refuse it and do not get an XP
for it (you still get an XP to award to another player). The universe is a cold, uncaring place, and your efforts 
are futile at best.

Esoteries:
- Onslaught
- Scan
- Telepathy

Gear:
- A hooded warm black traveller's cloak that covers the entirety of his body, a grey bandana used to hold his
mind gem against his forehead, a shabby brown buttonless shirt, undyed cotton trousers and leather boots
- Buzzer + 5 ammo
- A book about the numenera
- A gem that when worn on the head gives +1 to the intellect pool, but if lost gives -5 to the same pool
- Three cyphers - GM's discretion
- An oddity - GM's discretion

Valuables:
- 4 Shins

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Oh, how does this work? Is it not just the first 5 people?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Megazver posted:

People usually keep posting characters and the GM makes his picks after a while. Good luck!

Ah, okay. Please don't discount my character then. I'll just wait and see what happens.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I did change to doomed, so I updated my character sheet up there.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cool. Thanks! Also, as well as intra-party connections, what's going to happen with oddities and cyphers? Will you just stick our allocations in the opening post of the play thread?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Elfface posted:

I'm not sure what all the connections are to pick mine, but I'm ok with being inserted in to ones that imply I've done things, like bodyguard/protectee or old friends or whatever.

I pm'd you the connection options for your character.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Just a little elaboration on my connections, as I left them pretty vague on my character sheet:

1. While travelling alone you saved the life of a powerful abhuman brute from a mob of normal humans. Although unwilling to accompany you on your journey, he remains indebted to you.

On the Wandering Walk, Narot came across a particularly large Murden surrounded by humans. The humans were about the stone the Murden to death for causing headaches simply from passing by. Sympathetic to a creature, no matter how vile, who would be persecuted for its strange powers, he interceded on the Murden's behalf and managed to talk the humans down. Despite their shared telepathic powers communication was difficult, but the Murden seemed thankful. Even so, Narot expects nothing in return, Murdens are notorious betrayers.

I'm probably going to combine the second two into one connection. Assuming Friar John's okay with it, of course. I went with Bardakos because Narot's shtick is not having a clue why or how his powers work, so the illogicality of them connecting with the person who seems to have the least connection to the numenera seemed to make sense.

2. Despite attempting to avoid becoming involved, fate conspired to draw you into the events.

3. X is particularly mentally attuned to you, while in close proximity you are always in telepathic contact and they are immune to your psychic bursts.

Having heard about the rumours of a strange cult not too far away, Narot decided that staying in the area is the definition of a bad idea. On his way out of the main gate, he passes Bardakos and X*, and immediately enters into an unbidden two way psychic link with Bardakos. He can't leave now, this needs answers.

* I don't think it's been decided who Bardakos is guarding yet, has it?

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 19, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AzMiLion posted:

I put mine in the game thread since that's how i usually do it. Also linked it in all my titles and stuff, should make for easy checking up on it.
Also a quick question, Do you want us to roll dice for checks and such? since it appears that all we need is a d20 for that.

Yeah. I was going to just link back to that character sheet in every post, and keep it up to date. Unless we're meant to store character sheets externally somewhere?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

saberwulf posted:

Quick question, anyone bothered by the slang that Axe Manbeef's been using? I'm a big fan of Planescape, and the Ninth World is mentioned to have its own Cant, but I know some folks find it to be kind of dumb.

It's not worried me either.

AzMiLion posted:

Now to carry on Custo's noble tradition to not be impressed by anything and attempting to be nice again, we ran out of bags to throw at them right?

There are always more bags to throw!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

saberwulf posted:

Won't have an update until late tonight, still recuperating from a fall yesterday evening.

Oh, that sounds nasty. Don't feel the need to hurry back, take a few days off if you need to!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AzMiLion posted:

Just chiming in here to say that i've been enjoying the story inmensely so far to the point that i check the thread an unhealthy amount. I hooe Custo has been fun to DM for as well since i have been making some stuff up on the fly and this is the first time i've actually played a character and game this wordsy, that tale took me like an hour and i only just noticed it all somewhat rhymes :haw: , sorry if custo is going a bit overvoard on the visual aspects of it. He is just so drat happy to be performing again with his first friend graddus

I thought the visuals were really cool! Makes sense considering what you were doing too. It's not like they were just coming out of nowhere.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Just for the record, I'll be back from my relatives on the 2nd, so I'll be able to post regularly again from then. Hope everyone's having a good Christmas/New Year!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Friar John posted:

So who got that other XP point that Okasvi gave out to whoever had the least? Because I think a few of us are tied at 2.

I'm happy to give up my claim to it. So I think that makes it yours. I think we were the only two on two.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AzMiLion posted:

Find a high-power man portable winch and a spear? This would basically turn bardakos into scorpion from mortal kombat but I don't see a problem with that.

Or reverse it and go for some kind of spear-bungie cord combo. You throw it at them, hit them and get pulled into melee range to wreck poo poo up.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm off for a weekend away in Edinburgh, I'll try and get something in while I'm there, but I can't guarantee I'll be able to post again till Monday. Hopefully I'll be back just in time to be rescued from drowning by a flying car.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm afraid I have to finish up a report for my supervisor for Friday, and it's taking much more work than I was expecting it to, so I probably won't be able to write a post till Saturday. Sorry guys.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I've just moved and had no internet access for the past week. We were meant to have some! It should be sorted out early next week, and I'll probably be able to get in a couple of phone posts between now and then. I am still alive!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm still up for it!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Let's do this thing. Nothing stops the Vortex train.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Excellent. Just a word of warning. I move into a new house on Monday, I'm not entirely certain what our internet situation will be, so I might be a bit intermittent with my posting if that's an issue. I'll keep you informed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I have internet, but my laptop decided to commit seppuku, so I'll be phone postinh until it's fixed (around the 9th).

• Locked thread