Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I'll apply too since the other thread seems to be on hiatus. Using the other character that I decided to not use in the other thread.

pre:
Vance "The Trapper", A clever nano who talks to machines

An unassuming man with a perpertual tired look on his face, Vance is an explorer
and researcher of sorts. Born with an uncanny knack for the manipulation of the
numenera and a clever mind capable of deciphering their workings, he makes a
living by using his talents to search the ruins of the past for usable devices.

Vance earned his nickname with his tendency to use his environment as a weapon by
luring his opponents into positions where he can knock them into environmental
hazards or take them out with hijacked heavy machinery.

Vance has been working as an assistant for a local numenera merchant, performing
mechanic work and doing supply runs, to replenish his reagents and gear, after an
incident with a teleportation device in some ruins left him stranded halfway across
the world bereft of his possessions.

Links/Connections:
- From afar, Vance observed that something interesting was going on. (Clever)
- Vance knows a local merchant very well. Since he gives them so much business,
  they offer him discounts and special treatment. (Nano)
- _____ seems to have a terrible relationship with machines. (Talks to machines)

Tier: 1
Effort: 1

Pool/Edge:
- Mgt: 10/0
- Spd: 12/0
- Int: 14/1

Skills:
- Numenera, Trained
- Machine Affinity, Trained
- Lies/Trickery, Trained
- Mental Defense, Trained
- Identifying/Assessing, Trained

Passive Abilities:
- Inability: Lore/Knowledge/Understanding
- Practiced with light weapons

Active Abilities/Esoteries:
- Distant Activation (1 Int)
- Push (2 Int)
- Scan (2 Int)

Gear:
- A loose grey mechanic's jumpsuit, a long brown cargo vest and a worn brown rain poncho
- Wrist crossbow (Dart thrower: Light, 2 Dmg, Long range)
 - 12 darts
- A book about numenera
- Bag of small tools
Cyphers, 3/3:
- ?
- ?
- ?
Oddities:
- ?
Valuables:
- 14 Shins
Also, If it matters, I might be partially spoiled in regards to the adventure depending on how modified it is, since I've partially watched the numenera LP in this thread. Though I'll ofcourse try to avoid metagaming if I get in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Elfface posted:

Ah, thanks very much!
Ok, my three connections are:

Jack: My older sister is a skilled nano, and though I was not able to follow in her path, the numenera are not unknown to me.
Nara's sister, Aris, is a little older than her and more studied in the stranger aspects of the numenera. After her injury, it was from Aris that Nara learned of possible numenera healing, and ultimately led to her fusion with machine.

Mechanincal: I need money to fund my studies.
Before adventuring, Nara was a tinker and mechanic, fixing anything from water pumps to numenera vehicles. She still does this, but her new abilities give plenty of opportunities for upgrades. Opportunities that need money and raw materials.

Fuses Flesh and Steel: Vance knows secret commands, capable of many things, such as shutting Nara down for ten minutes.
No matter how many mirrors you set up, there are some tasks a cyborg just can't do on her own. Mostly brain/programming issues, or the circuits that connect to it. Nara has previously had Vance help her with this, as he Talks To Machines, which has led to him learning some command words.

The final section is assuming Okavsi is OK with it too, but I thought it fitted well. Either that or select Custo, saying they have some components in common.

I'm fine with this.

As for my own connections:

- From afar, Vance observed that something interesting was going on. (Clever)
--A good setup for this connection would be Vance running into either Nara or Custo, or both, in either his patron's shop or while out running errands. Vance would be pretty interested in cyborgs and androids.

- Vance knows a local merchant very well. Since he gives them so much business,
they offer him discounts and special treatment. (Nano)
--This would be the merchant that that Vance has been working for. I'll let Saberwulf come up with the details or assign some merchant NPC from the adventure into this role.

- _____ seems to have a terrible relationship with machines - or at least the machines that you communicate with. If they are next to a machine that you interact with in a friendly manner, that machine is treated in all ways as being one level lower than normal (unless doing so benefits you or them, in which case the level does not change) (Talks to machines)
--This is open, but I'd suggest Bardakos if Friar John is OK with it. Mainly because the rest of the party is pretty technology heavy between three nanos and a mechanical jack and I wouldn't want to make other peoples stuff work worse.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 20, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Sorry for being quiet for a while, I've been keeping up with the thread but Vance has pretty much agreed with everything the party has said and done thus far and I didn't want to blow the situation up into a fight or make a boring me too post where I just repeat what someone else has already said.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
As an aside, I'm playing Vance's and Custo's connection as not religious/superstitious but as Vance being amazed because of the existence of something as complex as fully functioning spacetime manipulating android that doesn't have thought processes that are completely alien to humans and has survived who knows how many collapses of civilization.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I'm just going to say that I'm going to get that car and fix it up even if I have to spend every shin I have, cannibalize all of my cyphers for parts and spend all of my XP on rerolls.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I've no problem with continuing either.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I can continue too, I think. Depends on whether Vance's character sheet is still up somewhere.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Oh, good. The IC thread hasn't fallen into archives yet, which is good since the character sheet that I actually kept updated with gear and xp was in that thread.

E: I bumped the IC thread just in case, since I don't know the archival cutoff date for the game room.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 26, 2014

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I just updated my character sheet in the game thread. Apparently I'm now collecting crystal monster parts? I hadn't even realized that I've looted body parts from both crystal monsters we've encountered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I caught a cold this weekend, so I might be too tired to post for a couple of days.

• Locked thread