Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I've had that pop up a few times, But I've swear I've machine gunned half the health off some fighters with another player and I don't seem to get credited for it :(.

And I might just ignore the ground stuff and play fat slow four gun spitting death machine as the ground fighter. It sounds more fun at this rate.

Don't play ground attack if you aren't going to ground attack. They're really bad fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Don't play ground attack if you aren't going to ground attack. They're really bad fighters.

Literally never fire HE take a night off clan wars shoot ground poo poo. It's useless to the team and extremely unrewarding.

So basically never play ground attack aircraft. German heavy fighters can bomb poo poo from 2000m+ and still shoot planes, so GA planes are just pointless.

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."
What is BnZ?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

RennZero posted:

What is BnZ?

Get up high. Come down just enough to damage enemy planes, then pull back up, using your momentum and boost to return up higher than your enemies can. This works miracles in WoWP because of Wargaming's silly aim bloom mechanics making your aiming circle gigantic if pointed upward.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

RennZero posted:

What is BnZ?

Boom and Zoom - big guns for high alpha then long legs to run away and climb.

fragem666
May 29, 2010
I would love to play this game but I'm terrible at dog fighting sims and my macbook would throw a protest.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I gotta give it to WG in making flying with a mouse actually work. Though I think some pubbies are having issues with it as they keep flying into me. It's like doofus's in WoT that are too busying aiming their turret to look at where they are driving.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ratzap posted:

Oh yeah, I'm on a roll tonight (meaning, time to stop):

At times 2 or 3 on me at once but dodging to stay alive and slowly kill one then the next etc paid off.

This image shows just how important it is to people who can actually aim in this game to step it up literally every time.

Most pubbies are either getting used to this or are simply too awful to be dependable to do anything other than to eat bullets\frontally ram someone.

Platoons are loving terrifying in this game.

Hellsau posted:

ground attack aircraft. German heavy fighters can bomb poo poo from 2000m+ and still shoot planes, so GA planes are just pointless.
The Il-2 and sucessors have amazing camouflage, meaning you can go in really low, destroy boatloads of ground targets and then literally hide in a corner of the map while the domination points tick to 100 and read the angry posts from the enemy team who wiped out your entire team yet will still lose a match because of you.

Edit: By the way, the I-16 is the T-50-2, T71 and AMX 13 90 combined into an airplane.

Mans fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 18, 2013

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Every single one of my matches have ended in a mid-air collision. :downs: Sometimes even collisions with the enemy!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If your team is trailing on dom. points and the remaining enemies are German heavy fighters and U.S. fighters and you're a Soviet\Japanese you might as well crash because they'll be climbing to the moon.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Some loving amazing games were had today. We were about to win a match on supremacy with 2 critically hit T4s and an F4U when the F4U tried to B&Z someone and missed completely, ploughing into a mountain. Reset. One of the crippled bads got ambushed. Reset. The last got shot down shortly after.

I then had a game where I downed a trio of ground attacks alone, before realising it was me and some other scrubs in lowtiers vs a decent 210 player and some other bad in a P-40. I baited the poo poo out of the 210 and killed him with pro aim, then tagged the last guy. Ace, 1,500XP, the everlasting wonder of my teammates. Feels good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yes I love when the game freezes as soon as I make an attack dive, only to unfreeze when I'm nearly crashing, or it taking 20 seconds longer to load than everyone else so when I do start the game, everything is already in a giant melee and I die instantly.

Anyways, I am loving where some of these pubbies learnt tactics, as I see people just ramming each other like it was attack of kamakazis.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

twistedmentat posted:

Yes I love when the game freezes as soon as I make an attack dive, only to unfreeze when I'm nearly crashing, or it taking 20 seconds longer to load than everyone else so when I do start the game, everything is already in a giant melee and I die instantly.

Anyways, I am loving where some of these pubbies learnt tactics, as I see people just ramming each other like it was attack of kamakazis.

For some pubbies it's either ram a plane or slam into a mountain. I'd rather have them at least take someone else out.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

For some pubbies it's either ram a plane or slam into a mountain. I'd rather have them at least take someone else out.

There's two factors here. First is that the pubbie holds most of its wisdom in its reptile brain. This bit gets bad press because it's usually a downgrade. However it's capable of wisdom the pubbie can't usually consciously manage. That's what makes them realize their inferiority and that they are less valuable than the other guy. Thus they ram because it's a winning trade.

The ground just has the best kdr of any pilot in the game, so they occasionally ram it to try to take it out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is ramming an autokill, or can a ground-attack plane with a good HP buffer survive it?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Is ramming an autokill, or can a ground-attack plane with a good HP buffer survive it?

I think I've seen GA and heavies survive rams but it'll mess them up. TShs are pretty good at clearing their tail with their tail.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

In a head-on ram, putting your engine into their wing usually lets you survive with minimal damage. Engine-on-engine, if you've got 600 HP, you can often survive but it will cost you 300 HP. In a TSH-1 or -3, slamming on the airbrake will make stupid pubbies ram your tail, which kills them and costs you like 80 HP.

Ramming is fun, especially if your tier four takes out a good tier six plane. Fear not a good ram my friends, for it will set you free.

cyanchiroptera
Oct 31, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Get up high. Come down just enough to damage enemy planes, then pull back up, using your momentum and boost to return up higher than your enemies can. This works miracles in WoWP because of Wargaming's silly aim bloom mechanics making your aiming circle gigantic if pointed upward.

Is the supremacy score no longer rigged so that you can just get 15+ points by killing GTs and hide, as the enemy fails miserably to find you? Interesting.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Ramming is weird and there might be physics involved.

The only rams I've seen people survive are those when one plane overtakes the ones its chasing, and I've gone from near full-health in an IL-1 to dead from that. The chasing plane usually survives.

In a weird glitch that has been unfortunately lost to "no replays", I collided and locked wings with a bf110, and neither of us could do anything. I could still shoot my guns into him, because I was smaller, so I did that, and his wreckage dropped away and let me boost back up to speed.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Hellsau posted:

In a head-on ram, putting your engine into their wing usually lets you survive with minimal damage. Engine-on-engine, if you've got 600 HP, you can often survive but it will cost you 300 HP. In a TSH-1 or -3, slamming on the airbrake will make stupid pubbies ram your tail, which kills them and costs you like 80 HP.

Ramming is fun, especially if your tier four takes out a good tier six plane. Fear not a good ram my friends, for it will set you free.

After a few drinks I start ramming people a whole lot more. I have no regrets.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Wow. A climbing 109G wins out against my diving Yak-1M.

Germans couldn't be any more loving OP if they tried.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
So IGN Prime just send me a Bonuscode for:
- 600 gold,
- 7 days of premium
- Supermarine Type 224 Premium Plane

Tried to activate it with my EU account and got 'wrong region' so if a US goon wants to get his hands on that british premium plane for free, send me a PM.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Feindfeuer posted:

So IGN Prime just send me a Bonuscode for:
- 600 gold,
- 7 days of premium
- Supermarine Type 224 Premium Plane

Tried to activate it with my EU account and got 'wrong region' so if a US goon wants to get his hands on that british premium plane for free, send me a PM.

So much yes. (I don't have PMs, do I need to fix that)

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Well if you get me an email adress I could mail it too that would work too... or add me on Steam -> Feindfeuer. I just don't want to post it here in public where every unregistered pub can grab it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, what's the goonsensus on HE versus solid-core AP?

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

xthetenth posted:

So much yes. (I don't have PMs, do I need to fix that)

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/world-of-warplanes posted:

Only available to new players
I'm curious to know if it works for existing accounts, so keep please let us know whenever you try it.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Haven't tried the AP but HE on cannons especially big ones like the XFL-1 is just amazing when you connect. It's insanely RNG based but if you get lucky or making a downward attack to keep your aim circle small and 1 shot can take 100hp off an enemy plane it just makes me all sorts of happy.

I've definitely had to step back and stop playing a couple times already, this game punishes you even more than tanks when you get into an aggressive or grindy mood, staying back behind a line of pubs and at high altitude makes such a huge difference in how well you can do in each game.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Feindfeuer posted:

Well if you get me an email adress I could mail it too that would work too... or add me on Steam -> Feindfeuer. I just don't want to post it here in public where every unregistered pub can grab it.

Should've just added you on steam.

And yeah Sphrin, I generally deliberately do the super calm test pilot thing when I can just to encourage calm. Also pulling it off means you talk about the right stuff which means you think about the right stuff which hopefully means you have The Right Stuff™.

cyanchiroptera
Oct 31, 2012
Can any of you help me out with this?

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/23966-mouse-controls-a-question-to-the-xml-buffs/

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Hey losers, go do the survey you probably got emailed about. It asks you the same sort of background questions that were asked to get into alpha/CBT, but appends two blank fields which ask for your suggestions and your thoughts on the game respectively. Go write angry words in those boxes about B&Z shitlords and impenetrable damage mechanics and clunky controls and the lack of the I-185 M-71 and I-185 M-82A.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
Just lost, with 4 kills, by supremacy, to a team with a ground hugging Bf 110E whose only kill was me, the oval office tipped his wing at 50 hp to ram me as I was passing over him after a head on.

gently caress it. I'm done.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Has the current concensus changed on this vs war thunder? Am i horribly gimped if I play with controller like in that game?

(Actually is that still true in WT? Been a while.)

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

I don't know what the current concensus is, but I enjoy both titles. I play both with mouse/keyboard though. But that seems to be the superior choice in both titles anyway unless you go FRB in WT.

Also having a BF 110 punch you with its wings is probably the nicest thing it can do to you if you try a head-on against a heavy fighter, unless you are yourself flying one.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

If you haven't already, add the roll keys to your control scheme if you're using the mouse. It really lets you control what the gently caress your plane is doing and also makes your guns-defensive much better.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Xerxes17 posted:

If you haven't already, add the roll keys to your control scheme if you're using the mouse. It really lets you control what the gently caress your plane is doing and also makes your guns-defensive much better.

Yup, that was added during beta. If you're under fire and maneuvering you get a defensive bonus. Fly a straight line and you get shredded.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Do we know what the general restrictions are on the planes that will be included in this game, by the way? I mean, the turret mechanic seems to allow for some pretty big aircraft without significant adjustment (and also allows for seriously weird, goofy stuff like the Blackburn Roc, which I am totally down with).

Also, so I'm not just posting a long string of questions in this thread, god drat American dive attacks are terrifying. Going after someone in my Hawk feels like I'm dropping a big blue bullet-spewing brick on their heads.

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
Signup for the launch tourny ends on the 21st. Anyone setup a team yet or got some name ideas?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Any thoughts on how they'll expand the current trees, by the way? You know, German ground-attack planes, Russian heavy fighters, et cetera. I mean, I had a look at historical examples, and the Japanese design theme for GA seems... interesting :stare:.

On the plus side, they'd make the ideal pubbie planes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I knew it'd be the suicide plane even before seeing the link.

I'm sort of having fun. Breaking through Tier II games and getting into the Tier III stuff seem slightly less Flying Circus and more over the top WW2 fighter insanity.

I'm going to miss seeing a lot of my Bristol 133 (I just like the way it looks), Keeping it as a premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Darth Walrus posted:

Any thoughts on how they'll expand the current trees, by the way? You know, German ground-attack planes, Russian heavy fighters, et cetera. I mean, I had a look at historical examples, and the Japanese design theme for GA seems... interesting :stare:.

On the plus side, they'd make the ideal pubbie planes.

The current news is that the first new lines to be added will be either the German Ju-87 ground attack line (Hopefully with the crimson-skies-esque Ju287) or the Fw190 Line. Models for the Fw-190D and Ta-152 have been found hidden in the game files, and I wouldn't be surprised if they add both lines at once because the higher tier German GAs are almost guaranteed to include the 190 F-8 and 190 G-8. I wouldn't count on them expanding the Russian Lines again for a few patches, maybe just an I-185 here or there.

The Japanese ground attack planes, if they even ever get a line, are almost guaranteed to be dive-bombers and torpedo bombers, which kind of sucks because ammo is limited and they rarely had front guns. Perhaps some late war prototypes will come into play and make the line not poo poo. There's the possibility of the Mitsubishi T-2, which would otherwise be out-of-period but gets a pass because without afterburners it's just as slow as most of the tier X jets. God, I hope that's what they do. I want a loving vulcan cannon.

• Locked thread