Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I'm thelastmantofly and I must be terrible because I've been playing since it launched on Steam and only broke 200 elo a couple times :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Korak posted:

Possibly useful for the OP, credit to MMDoCKing site.

How do you unlock the additional sets in the alter of wishes? So wow, made it past 300 finally. I had one person who just ended their turn immediately... trying to reduce their elo?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Huge Fucker Bitch posted:

I started with the Necropolis deck, was thinking about picking up another deck before buying packs.
Would that be stupid?

I started as Necro, then bought The Box and a Heroic pack and've been playing Stronghold since then.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

I just hit 500 ELO with my necro deck, a few games before hitting level 6. I've lost one(1) games so far. And I'm not very good. I keep making obvious play errors and still winning. The amount of damage I've missed out on is pretty absurd.

Also, the sheer number of lovely cards people will play is insane. Such as the various fogs for only a single row. So terrible, yet I've ssen 4 necro decks running them. Decks which do not start with them :negative:

Meh, they are useful for defense. Someone dropped some pod that gives a 2 poison counter if a melee attacks, that sucks. Then again, they also kept dropping something that kept me from targetting their creatures in the row, not attacking them—lols.

Then somehow I lost a match with 8 hp left, which was frustrating because I was starting to gain the upper hand.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

Ran out of cards, maybe?

Not this time. I still had 8 hp, when you run out of cards it dings you 1hp per round. I thought I took a screenie, oh well.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I've only had friendly chats—aside from one person who said he hoped I was quick because he was French. Okay.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Wow my Sharr stronghold deck finally worked right, 2 of those orcs that hit twice doing 16 dmg was sweet. I wish it could happen before I'm down to 1 hp though. And, people who don't even hit you when you have a stone shield up aren't so bright.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I know you're not supposed to use seals for consumables, but I'm impatient and do. If you activate 10 of them you get 10 free.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Does Stronhold have another way of dispelling magic besides the Spellsmasher creature? The hero I'm using has access to Earth, Fire, and the Air magic.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Placed third (err by 1 break point) in my first Swiss tournament and got an Emilio's... I think it just made me 10x better at the game though, I was turtling too much before.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Wagoneer posted:

Anyone else find the Swiss tourneys incredibly easy? I haven't ranked below 3rd in any tournament. How are people matched up in these?

First one wasn't bad, then I played a couple more and got wiped out easily against super strong powerful decks.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I accidently clicked on the jackpot tournament instead of swiss, now I'm stuck in it. Is there any way to get out of it?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Just had a match where I couldn't draw cards after a certain point, neither could my opponent, and celebrations also did nothing. And I would've won, because I would've likely got something useful in those 4 cards I didn't get.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Nebiros posted:

I'm actually liking some of the interplay on the Stronghold deck. It's kind of funny torching my own creatures, throwing kitten warriors at blocks of HP after dropping Blood of my Tribe to make it easier to sneak some magic levels in. Also, the strike anywhere creatures really seem to gently caress with other newbies and Immolate just makes people panic I'm finding.

I accidently put a contagion against someone playing with mostly enrage creatures last night. Oops. I'm still trying to make my Shaar deck work.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Shaar is just really weird since Earth doesn't really contribute that much to the Air/Fire playstyle (Insect Swarm is kinda nice I guess). Kelthor just feels like a better fit.

I have three copies of her though so I guess at some point I might try her out.

Yeah, I just looked at decks that use her and I'm not doing it right. They're all spells and fortunes with maybe one or two creatures. I think it's time I give up losing over and over again with her until I can build the right kind of deck. Starting with 0 might doesn't help in a non-completely spells deck.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

So are there many other goons who like me migrated to MMDOC from Solforge? If so, what were you reasons? For me personally it wasnt that there was anything wrong with Solforge, but its so far from completion, and missing many planned features. Meanwhile MMDOC is already feature complete, and feels like they really have their poo poo sorted. I might pick up Solforge again when its finally done, but for now MMDOC offers the superior experience.

Something else I'm curious to try is Hearthstone, since the people who got into the beta have been raving about it, but will being launched so far ahead of of the competition help MMDOC hold its own in terms of player retention?

Yeah, I was playing Solforge. But the way the timers spazz out all the time just made me mad. It's like the programmers can't figure out how to make a timer that compensates for lag in the system.

I was browsing Steam the day after MMDOC arrived and have been happy since, except I'm terrible at the game.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

If your game crashes, you can still play... just everything is gray.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Nebiros posted:

You know, there's something about using a Fireball to both clear a lane and kill off your own creature so you have just enough damage to kill the enemy player thanks to Enrage. I'm looking forward to unlocking the Stronghold card that turns any creature in your hand into a Deathseeker for 5 cost too.

Kat's Grand Finale is pretty sweet. You can also buff this thing with a blood shaman hut and have a reusable death seeker... (until the opponent figures out they should kill it.)

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Surrendering to people trying to tank their elo feels good, man. At least play, don't not play cards/not increase levels.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Tao Jones posted:

You can get 2 Forgotten Wars boxes for 1900 seals instead of 2800 by using the link on the main page of the store, which I think is a new deal. It's not displayed on the packs tab, though, weirdly.

Goddamnit I just spent $15 bux and bought a single one :(.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Finally broke 500 after playing since the steam release (3-4 weeks?) Building (throwing together what cards I had) a sanctuary deck instead of being fixated on only play stronghold sure helped.

Just had a match where opponent played Immoliation and I played Monsoon, then I won with 1 hp remaing after saving myself with Avalanche + crushing victory with hero'd up cards + Icy Weapon. Even had to Blizzard one of my cards that he put Cursed Chains on after he stolemy Kiren and Blind Brother when I had 3 hp left.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 28, 2013

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Without getting too much into Heroes 6, the actual combat was pretty tactical and balance was alright, in comparison to Heroes 3 where it was basically 'pick Fortress against Castle? You lose.'

Necropolis I always felt was too powerful though. It seems to have balancing issues no matter what game it's in.

Is there common lore throughout all the games? Any not-terrible fiction that goes along with it?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I'd like to know how people attack so fast... unless it's just lag in the system doing everything at once.

And someone said that I'd "spent a lot of money on those cards" (in my santuary deck). I've only spent about $35 so far, if I wasn't so bad at the game I could've got a lot of the cards from tournaments.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Mob posted:

I've had almost 20 years to learn the bajillion different creature abilities in Magic. Learning and remembering the nuances between a brand new bajillion in a couple weeks is not a lot of fun!

Just right click on anything new. Or don't, because seeing people throw creatures against cards with ambush greater than their health never gets old.

Axemaniac posted:

When you are deciding if you want to take a mulligan, is there a quick visual way to see if you are going first or not? I can't easily see anything telling me that. I'd take a mulligan if I don't need a 1 drop if I go second

If you're going first, the game is centered on your side of the field.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
The instant-info about a card is gone from the bottom of the screen, what the gently caress?

And my creatures with magic shield are now destroyed by Death Seal—which is a spell, which is magic. I was annoyed enough that it gets poison counters after attack over a Poisonous bulb, which is also a magic spell.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

The text clearly states that it only blocks damage from Magic creatures and spells, so if it was only recently changed it's more of a 'fix'. Not one that I like, because I really dislike those spells too, but there you go.

I think I was just confused, someone ran it on my the other night while attacking with a magic creature so there was no damage, that's why it didn't trigger, not the magic shield on the creature.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Servers are back up... but I'm back to the "loading...." never starting the match poo poo.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Nion posted:

Ugh, every time I play against a lock deck it takes me longer and longer to come back to the game. I'll hover over the shortcut, and then I'll remember the turn 4 instant-kill combo that takes 15 minutes to resolve, and then I'll go play something else.

I played against my first Sandalphon that did some boring rear end takes forever variation this morning. I guess I'll think of more ways to anchor stuff, that protects against broken bridges and renewels right? Anchor and ambush... not much better than people throwing a Pao at a creature with ambush.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

I was playing a Kal-Azaar, I went first, and I had a bad mulligan so I had to not play anything good for the first two turns. I did notice that he was pumping almost exclusively Magic, then I remembered Kal-Azaar had Dark Magic, so I figured it was one of those Puppet Master decks.

So I only played Pao Deathseekers and Void Wraiths, the latter which he kept sending back to my hand with Town Portal. When he Puppet Mastered one, I hypnotized it in place with Waterfall Guardians. He had no creatures and was entirely dependant on mine, and somehow I slowly whittled him down to 5 health, then Pao Deathseeker, dropped two Honour creatures beside it, and killed him. :v:

If I had a better opening hand I might just have lost. Plus I got the 'kill enemy Hero using only neutral creatures' achievement, whic was nice.

I faced someone playing lots of puppet masters (love that draw a car/look at hand Sanctuary card.) So, I only played things that weren't that great or if I could anchor them. He wasted a puppet master on an anchored creature too. Finally finished him off with Honor and Pao.

What score do you need in the Jackpot tournament to expect any gold?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

WYA posted:

Why do people I beat who are 200 elo higher than me not lose any elo for losing to me?

Were they at 501 or 1001 or something? You have to lose ten in a row to drop past those thresholds.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

gannyGrabber posted:

Just played Armageddon on a 12 creature field.

:getin:

Eh, I prefer the spell doubler and Crashing Tides.

What is the card stall decks use at the end of their boring lead-up? The one that gives you damage for cards in your hand.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Dahbadu posted:

Of note, I'll be updating the OP later tonight with feedback from ApplesandOranges and Josh, on cards that hard counter lock decks.

Speaky of, pretty stoked I opened one of these up a minute ago. Is destroy the same as banish? Why can't they use the same drat language.

edit: And I just used it to block an Alter of Shadows. A+, will use again.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 8, 2013

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Dahbadu posted:

Oh, there's a new code that works (I tested it today): DUEL-AVEC-O-GAMING

I redeemed it, but what's it supposed to give?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Eh... someone played Shadow Image on a creature and it destroyed the fortune I had in play (which was put out on the same turn as the creature that was stolen (gently caress that card) but wasn't connected to it,) what am I missing here?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Another "I don't understand this mechanic question."

I have a Forgotten Spell in my hand. Why can't I use a resurrect spell from my opponent's graveyard? It's instant spell, Forgotten Spell is used to pull instant spells... what gives?

edit: I looked it up, and it won't work with channeled magic from creatures. Makes total sense.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 10, 2013

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Mecharasputin posted:

Is Ice Splinters + The Song of the Lost a well known combo? At four magic and for seven mana it essentially kills every one of the opponent's creatures. Annoying as all hell

If you have a way to anchor your creatures you can negate it. I try to keep an eye on how high the opponents mana is going and prepare for a puppet master, tsunami, song of the lost, whatever that is annoying. If I see or assume that someone has something like that I only put down weak creatures if possible.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Well I got my 250 wins reward. And, I've never broken 900 elo, haha. I'm still bad at this game, but I have fun. Beating people who think they're going to win after running out your deck when you have Akane and a lightning bolt plus a geyser left after they banished your graveyard is fun.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

Eventually matches at the top echelon of ELO will feature two people trying to surrender to each other first, forever.

I read here or on the other forums that some people sit with their task manager open so they can be the first to kill the program and thus surrender. Zzzz... I concede if I'm obviously going to lose, but you still get XP/gold for playing. Speaking of, is it worth it to dump all your creatures and spells on the field before you're going to win? I never bother, and sometimes I concede when it takes forever for my opponent to plan out their strategy on how they're going to knock out my last 1 hp with 8 creatures on the field.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

But the second attack doesnt get wasted if the initial target is killed by the first attack, right?

No, you attack whatever is behind it.

What is the counter for banshees? Is there one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I wonder if euro people have heard of it more? Maybe they just don't push it in the states. I don't know why, it's a pretty cool game and it doesn't need much processing power, it's a great laptop game.

I wish I would stop fluctuating between 550+ to 800+ almost every day.

• Locked thread