Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Onmi posted:

This game has a habit of letting me slide through with the victory by the skin of my teeth and feel awesome about it.

Yeah, I definitely agree with this. I also love winning when people don't understand how their cards work, especially when it's a guy with a bunch of rares and crap in his deck and I'm just barely past having the starter one.

e: My favorite was when a guy says to me "wtf I have magic shield on" when I killed one of his creatures with the Hailstorm event card he had in his deck. The best part about this is I tried to use a "remove all ongoing magic spells in play" to remove some fortune card he had that prevented my creatures from attacking that turn because I didn't understand it wouldn't remove an ongoing fortune, so he had plenty of opportunity to see that and learn from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

El_Pato posted:

So I'm a new player here, haven't made any big purchases yet. If I'm interested in playing Academy would it be worth it to try before fleshing out my starter faction (Necro)? Right now I can afford the FW box and the Academy starter deck which seems like it might get me enough to play around with but I'm kind of wary of going that route since I'll only be able to get more cards with seals. Is it even worth it?

Edit: Oh, and I'm in as pmcclear01 (old account, bleh...) if we're doing the friendly friend thing all around.

You'll probably be able to buy the Forgotten Wars cards with gold pretty soon since there's supposed to be another set of cards coming out in December, if that effects your decision at all.

JoshTheStampede posted:

If you won enough matches to break 1k Elo, why are you still playing a sealed deck? Don't you have a ton of gold and seals to spend from those wins?

No, not really. You get like 700 gold per win and you can easily break 1000 ELO in like, 30ish wins, that's enough gold for one whole booster past your starter packs. Yeah, you get gold from leveling up but that's maybe another 4-5 packs and you're totally at the mercy of RNG for which cards you get, since a lot of the solid cards for some of the decks are locked behind the "get 200 cards from this set" part of being able to spend wildcards.

In my opinion, this game needs better daily rewards.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Here's some help: Fire Shield is bad because they can easily play around it and make it a dead card, Ward Against Darkness is overly situational, Fountain of Youth is really bad since they can simply play around it as well, and even if they don't the healing is mediocre, pretty much all of your fortunes don't really need to be in your deck at all, Imperial Sentinel isn't the kind of creature you want in your deck and would definitely be better replaced by 2 more Tithe Collectors or the 2 cost Haven creatures that have Melee Guard 2 and twice as much HP (Holy Praetorian), the Wolf Marksmen could probably stand to go compared to all your other 3 drops, same with the Wolf Guards compared to your other 2 drops.

Smarmy Coworker posted:

um also I've set up my deck to have a bunch of low-cost guys that I can just keep playing w/ my unique spell and I have a lot of cards because it makes it easier to deck people if the game doesn't end quickly, which is a cool thing to do

You generally shouldn't be getting into a situation where you're decking people very often, if ever.

e: Also, you should replace your Word of Lights with Fireballs.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 23, 2013

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

AxeManiac posted:

Wait, are there only three sets of missions right now? I did the training, then the Orc Invasion and then Wolf Soldiers and beat those all. I'm only level 3. Do I gotta go fight scary online people now with better decks?

I don't have enough good cards right now :(

The ELO matches you up against fellow horrible people with crappy decks, so it's really not that bad. If you're any good at card games you can easily get to 500 ELO just with any of the basic decks you're given.

Anyway, how does the replay function in this game work? Because I just won the most hilarious game and would like to show it to a friend.

e: figured it out, you open the replays with the game.exe

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 24, 2013

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

I think I've won at least 3 games now because people have failed to read Martyr correctly.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

I feel that way playing my godawful Haven deck, I'm at 600something ELO and I'm like, "I should get below 500 for a while, while I still can". Then I still win 60% of my games instead of 80% and the people play a bit faster above 500ELO, so, shrug.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

If you've only played one match you can easily just make a new account and switch to Inferno.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Indecisive posted:

E: also, what time does the daily login quest reset?

Midnight GMT, I think.

e:fb

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Nice, sacrificed the somehow FOURTH fate spinner I opened out of like, the 12 reinforcement packs total that I've opened to the infernal pit for a SHINY week of taxes and +1000 gold, good trade. Only a 10% chance of getting a card or something, I'm glad it worked out.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

LMFAO!

Had some loving guy say "game is over. next round" to me. When it wasn't even remotely over. Then 8 turns later I won, and during one of those turns I went to the timer and he went "zzzzzzz", then the next round he also went to the timer.

gently caress that guy.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah and then you'll win those games and be back at 1000+ where you started. Manipulating Elo makes no sense.

It wouldn't make sense if there wasn't a hard stop at 1000, as it is it most certainly does make sense. The people who actually have decks worthy of 1000+ won't ever go lower, but if your deck is just barely decent enough to win 1/10 games at 1000 then you're stuck there forever winning 10% of your games.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

You really shouldn't gain ELO if someone surrenders to you before any cards are played whatsoever, that's mostly the problem.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

You have to use the double attack when you attack with it, you can't attack once, cast a spell, then attack with it again. It doesn't get carried out automatically exactly, but for all intents and purposes it does.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

You can see a card if someone clicks on it to cast it, not if they right click it.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Had some Ariana player earlier today tell me "broken deck". I was running the Hakeem one you can get in the shop for gold without any modifications whatsoever, needless to say it is not even remotely a "broken deck". The game took 20 turns because he was dead ~turn 6 but kept stalling and stalling and stalling.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Higsian posted:

People seem strangely oblivious to the minimum number of cards rule in CCGs. I've run into a few explanations of why you should run 59 cards in this game and people arguing against it. I even read one guide where the guy was like 'why am I running 62 cards? Well, when you play revised tactics you take out 3 cards and are essentially at 59 anyway!' What does he think running 59 cards is for that this logic works out? :psyduck:

Hahahahaha, isn't the whole point of revised tactics to thin your deck? What the gently caress. I guess the shuffle has some purpose too?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

I only have like 50% of a good deck, but man is Kelthor fun. Kill all their dudes, forever. The 2/2/7 Stronghold elephant is so diesel.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 16, 2013

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

You do lose an amount of bonus EXP if you concede matches, correct? I really get a kick out of people who can't just pass the turn and let you do lethal.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Heh, I have a one of Purity in my Ishuma deck because it's missing a ton of cards, and I've drawn it, in my opening hand, literally 3/3 games against Ariana. Fun.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

If you miss a day, you're back starting at day 1. It resets at 7PM eastern, if you've already clicked it once today you're fine unless you don't click it before 7PM eastern tomorrow.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Let me guess, this person had 80 cards in their deck? I had somebody say basically the same thing to me in French once.

Tae posted:

I just faced a 70 card Kelthor with the 2 drop Vulture. He's at 1260 Elo :psyduck:

I have this card in my deck as a substitute for better cards I don't have yet, it's not TOO bad in the deck. Kelthor is mighty!

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

jetz0r posted:

On board you're doing 7, and the hut adds another 4. He's leaving himself almost dead on board, so I'm guessing neither of you were watching events.

The Ariana is dead next turn if that Lamassu isn't blocking the cyclops (it has double attack).

e: Actually, even if she does block the cyclops.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 23, 2013

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

I've had multiple people tell me they're reporting me for doing nothing except playing my deck. It's loving bizarre.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

You always want to draw first if you know you're going to want to draw in a turn, that way you can see what you draw and potentially play it. This is why this game rules, all the little decisions you can make every turn really, really add up.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

I just love that feeling when I see my opponent do something really stupid 2-3 times and I know at that point I've already won the game. Yes, please do keep dropping your creatures into lanes where they can easily be killed by my creatures, thank you!

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

I also have Blackskull Crushers in my Kelthor because I don't have enough vultures yet, card is very :black101:

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

I'm gonna report the dude, because gently caress sore losers. However, I'm slightly torn because a) it may be too obvious that I'm baiting him, and b) he at least apologized for his casual bigotry.

I really love how 90% of the raging I've heard in this game is about how "lucky" I was and how "unlucky" they were. I've very rarely felt screwed by "luck" in this game, and that's just the nature of card games anyway. I don't even understand being mad about video games in the first place.

Cryohazard posted:

What the gently caress deck were you using to get this kind of response and how can I build one?

The perfect response.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

koolkal posted:

Removing the tutors while also removing all the recursion cards seems overkill. Tutors are useful for reducing variance.

Also, I was looking over viable Inferno decks and just noticed they kept Ignatius while there are literally 0 cards that are 4 or higher destiny. Just... what. I honestly don't think they put that much thought into these changes, unless the next expansion is supposed to make this reorganization work.

Yeah, I think some of the hero choices are really poor/lovely. Other than that I like the idea behind it and hope it works out. Hell, if it means Noboru doesn't suck, because he is awesome and I want to play him, I am happy.

e: Just at a cursory glance, Seria seems pretty promising. I think Water looks like the overall best school right now.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 8, 2014

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Promoted Pawn posted:

So this was posted by an Ubisoft rep on the MMDoC subreddit:

While this is indeed good news, doesn't this directly contradict what was said during the BS2 debut stream? I'm not imagining that they said that BS1 through to 5T would be going away at the BS2 release, right?

Considering the amount of misinformation and confusion going around about BS2 and its ramifications, let us never doubt the ineptitude of the people paid to talk to us about this game. Keep in mind that this important clarification was hidden a few comments deep on the bottom thread of a days old topic that only had 3 points in a relatively unpopular subreddit. And it had a sign on the door saying "beware of the leopard".

You guys were the ones confusing me the whole time about this, since to me it seemed like the M&M devs were obviously saying that reinforcement packs were going away and being replaced by BS2 packs instead. I had no idea where everyone was coming up with "all the cards are going away, to be replaced with BS2".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

They're removing the achievements that are associated with Reinforcement packs, nothing else.

• Locked thread