Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The round port to the right of the VGA looks like it might be a 3.5mm out. Hard to tell on my phone, but worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Splinter posted:

The round port to the right of the VGA looks like it might be a 3.5mm out. Hard to tell on my phone, but worth a shot.

Betting that's an in for the VGA input. I have an HDMI monitor with a built in speaker with one of those for the VGA input.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've talked this up before, but I have my pre-Slim 360 hooked up via that model's separate HDMI port, but there was a game for the 360 called Bandfuse that came with a little dongle that plugged into that larger A/V port that had a headphone jack and a volume control via a dial on an extension cord that came bundled with it. It works pretty well in that regard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CKbXDuTQMI shows the cable and the dongle.

Admittedly, for me it has worked, fine, but the price of Bandfuse complete with cables and cords and dongle has jumped back up to pretty much full retail prices on eBay and Amazon. I was sort of lucky to find my copy for about $10 when I did.

fishmech posted:

Those are RCA jacks, what you want is this: https://www.amazon.com/30S1-01260-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable-Connector/dp/B000I23TTE
The red jack is for the right audio channel, the white jack is the left audio channel. That adapter connects them both into a single headphone jack with both audio channels.

You shouldn't have been plugging a headphone plug into them, you've likely hosed up the ports a bit, though it shouldn't matter too much when you've got proper stuff plugged in.

But a question on that: While that seems like it SHOULD provide the RCA-to-3.5 connection to make headphones work, would the audio coming from that connection be amplified enough for a pair of headphones? I'm sort of assuming the Bandfuse thing I have only works as it does due to some sort of built-in amplification. (If it does, though, inline mechanical headphone volume rocker attachments I think are fairly cheap on their own, about $5-10, or maybe nothing if your headphones have a built-in rocker or dial.)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JediTalentAgent posted:

But a question on that: While that seems like it SHOULD provide the RCA-to-3.5 connection to make headphones work, would the audio coming from that connection be amplified enough for a pair of headphones? I'm sort of assuming the Bandfuse thing I have only works as it does due to some sort of built-in amplification. (If it does, though, inline mechanical headphone volume rocker attachments I think are fairly cheap on their own, about $5-10, or maybe nothing if your headphones have a built-in rocker or dial.)

Eh, it depends on your headphones. If it's too quiet for the headphones they have then they'll definitely want to get a cheap little headphone amp to go inbetween.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
God, I feel like I'm sort of making this more complicated for the poster than it should be, but if that ends up being the case then could finding a really cheap set of amplified desktop speakers for about $10-15 (even one just powered by a USB charger AND with volume control) with a headphone jack on them be the best overall solution?

360 RCA Audio Out -> RCA-to-3.5mm Adapter -> Cheap amplified speakers w/headphone jack -> headphones.

Otherwise, unless you could find a cheap stand-alone amplifier or a USB powered one, the inline ones I've seen would probably just use too many batteries all the time.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You can get cheap little headphone amps that will plug into usb or wall power these days for like $15 - $20. They're not omg audiophile quality but they'll be perfectly sufficient for listening to 360 audio.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I mean, plug the headphones in and see how they sound. They might be fine.

Dude was shoving a headphone cord into an RCA jack like a toddler a few hours ago, we're not dealing with discerning tastes here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Before I just call it a loss, I installed the Hulu app on my 360 and have deleted and reinstalled and deactivated and reactived the device and so on and it continues to lock up my system, have authenticating problems, etc. almost always within 20-30 minutes of use.

Does anyone else have issues with Hulu on their 360?

• Locked thread